Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Scrapez posted:

Welp. My Shimano Ep8 motor lasted 2 months in my Nukeproof Megawatt. Have to send it in for warranty.

I was riding yesterday, went through the smallest puddle imaginable and suddenly no assist and just a weird gear drive noise. Not positive it was from water, could have been coincidental but happened immediately after.

I'd read about problems with EP8s for guys riding over in Europe where it's wet more often. Pretty concerning for the long term. It's super fun but disappointing it broke like that. Hopefully a fluke and not an ongoing issue.

Glad you're getting warranty. Didn't nukeproof shut down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

VelociBacon posted:

Glad you're getting warranty. Didn't nukeproof shut down?

Curious how Shimano interlocks with the bike brand on that one. Same as with all their other oem components? For my Bosch motor, everything has to go through the dealer (Tern), and I had to be properly registered with them.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Shimano warranty is two years from purchase of bike. I bought it from a LBS so they are handling things. If you buy from an online direct vendor, I think Shimano just needs original receipt to verify age of bike.

The lovely thing is that even though Shimano sends you a brand new motor, the warranty doesn't reset. Still 2 years from purchase of bike.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Didn't nukeproof shut down?

Nukeproof is still around, same with Vitus, ChainReation, and Wiggle, they're all the same parent. They just shrunk their footprint. Looks like ChainReaction and Wiggle are UK only now, Vitus is only through ChainReaction and Wiggle, and NukeProof looks to have pulled their US store but still has a dealer network.

This is from looking at wheels on ChainReaction and went down the rabbit hole of "why can't I order from them anymore in the US?".

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Looking at an open box Intense 951 XC; 120/120 and 28.5 lbs, $2700 w/discount. Any better deals for an equivalent bike out there now?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

in a well actually posted:

Looking at an open box Intense 951 XC; 120/120 and 28.5 lbs, $2700 w/discount. Any better deals for an equivalent bike out there now?

If you’re over 6ft YT has an XL Izzo Core 2 for sale from their outlet right now for $1999. It’s arguably even better specced.

https://us.yt-industries.com/products/outlet-sale/550/izzo-29-core-2/?number=102114&variant=variant

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

in a well actually posted:

More of a trail bike than xc but the Specialized Status 140 is on sale for $2250 if you can find your size.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/status-140/p/199765?color=320385-199765

Edit: Even crazier deal is the Nukeproof Reactor for $2100 at Planet Cyclery. Sram GX level components but again a trail bike.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 8, 2024

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I bought a bike! Feel slightly guilty not buying from a LBS, but this one made sense for my budget. Despite it being a “value” brand I’m really impressed with the quality!

Are tanwalls still cool?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

looks good.

What is up with that disconnected and tight housing?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

spwrozek posted:

looks good.

What is up with that disconnected and tight housing?

I promise it’s not as tight as it looks. I just forgot to fasten it to the frame before I took the pic.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ha all good. I was just looking at and was like... this will lead to an interesting first ride.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I dig that green color :discourse:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Welp! I spontaneously went to do a tubeless upgrade because tires were on sale. LBS left me with the impression my rims were notube ready but they're not.

Is there a relatively economical way to get to tubeless? I have a rockhopper comp which doesn't even have clincher rims. Complete wheelsets seem pricey but so does the labor cost of swapping rims.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Your most economical option is probably looking at local groups or Facebook marketplace for a takeoff set. I recently bought a new wheelset for my gravel bike and the next day a buddy mentioned he and a set in the attic he could've sold me for cheap. :doh:

I see people posting things like that
in local bike part swap Facebook groups around here fairly often.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Guest2553 posted:

Welp! I spontaneously went to do a tubeless upgrade because tires were on sale. LBS left me with the impression my rims were notube ready but they're not.

Is there a relatively economical way to get to tubeless? I have a rockhopper comp which doesn't even have clincher rims. Complete wheelsets seem pricey but so does the labor cost of swapping rims.

The Stan rim strip things everyone use to use?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Guest2553 posted:

What do you mean it doesn’t have clincher rims?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I confused tubular with clincher with something else, my bad. But yeah they're clincher.

I spent a couple hours at YouTube polytech today. Learned that Stan's rim strips were discontinued in 2019 so my next move is ghetto tubeless with gorilla tape, then chase used wheels on Craigslist until somebody steals my kidneys.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 13, 2024

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Gorilla tape is a nightmare if you ever have to remove/replace it. Kapton tape is cheap and works great without leaving residue

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guest2553 posted:

I confused tubular with clincher with something else, my bad. But yeah they're clincher.

I spent a couple hours at YouTube polytech today. Learned that Stan's rim strips were discontinued in 2019 so my next move is ghetto tubeless with gorilla tape, then chase used wheels on Craigslist until somebody steals my kidneys.

Don’t use Gorilla.

There’s a green 3M tape marketed for masking during powder coating operations.

It’s great, and seemingly everyone on this forum has used it for years.

e: It’s 3M Polyester Tape 8992

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 13, 2024

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I just used Stans tape and it worked great. Or are you saying the rims/tires aren't technically tubeless compatible so you have to do something non-standard?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

What in tarnation are you talking about?

Just get whatever brand tubeless rim tape off Amazon in an appropriate width. Do two layers. Toss on tires and toss in sealant. Remove valve cores. Air it up.

Might want something like an Airshot, if the tires don't fit tight enough. https://www.amazon.com/Airshot-1-15L-Tubeless-Inflator-Color/dp/B01BJ4MXQY

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

dema posted:

If your rims aren't tubeless compatible then you can't just tape then up because the bead will just never seat (or blow off super easily if it does). Not normally a problem because basically all MTB rims are tubeless compatible these days.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It can certainly work with rims that aren't claimed "tubeless compatible." Worked great for me for a few years until I got real deal tubeless wheels.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

dema posted:

There was a thing specifically called rim strips that they don't make anymore, I thought that's what you were talking about.

Anyways, I both used gorilla tape on my non-tubeless rims and found somebody local with tubeless ready wheels for cheap. I'll swap the new tires onto the tubeless ready rims and put the tubed tires on my old rims for when I'm doing road biking with kids.

I did take the ghetto tubeless out on much rougher train than normal and it was a wayyyy better experience. In retrospect I would have been better off getting a rockhopper elite last year but at least I didn't buy the REI dirt 2.1!

E. Also thanks for the pointers, that helped cage the directions I looked in. Prior to this my knowledge was stuck in 2006 because my bike did what I needed it to so I never had to look further.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 13, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The elites don’t want you to know this, but a one‐gallon garden sprayer from the hardware store is a better Airshot than the Airshot, for twelve bucks.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
whats the benefit of the 3m tape vs actual rim tape? Its like 10$ for a monster roll of rim tape.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
I guess this is what happens when it's -2°F and I can't ride my bike

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Platystemon posted:

The elites don’t want you to know this, but a one‐gallon garden sprayer from the hardware store is a better Airshot than the Airshot, for twelve bucks.

Link? I’ve never seen a garden sprayer use compressed air like that. Or at least the ones I’m thinking of seem like they’d be too weak.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

Link? I’ve never seen a garden sprayer use compressed air like that. Or at least the ones I’m thinking of seem like they’d be too weak.

Phil made one
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bxNWiLQKxOs

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Platystemon posted:

Or just use a two liter soda bottle and old tubeless valves

dont actually do this to save a few $$ instead of the garden sprayer

Levitate fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 15, 2024

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Cool, thanks for the video link!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Guest2553 posted:

ghetto tubeless

wtf is ghetto tubeless lol

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 15, 2024

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

wtf is ghetto tubeless lol

using non-tubeless tires and/or rims in a tubeless setup. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

is that how they ride their mountain bikes in the ghetto

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ghetto tubeless is wooden wheels, because the Krauts stole all the rubber.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

On a cold and grey seattle morning/ a length of gorrila tape is torn/ in the ghetto

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Nohearum posted:

Gorilla tape is a nightmare if you ever have to remove/replace it. Kapton tape is cheap and works great without leaving residue

There is a special place in hell for people that use Gorilla tape. I've had to re-do two wheelsets that were DIY tubeless'ed with Gorilla tape and cleaning up the residue one the rims was a non-trivial process. It's still better than stripping old tubeless sealant off the inside of tires though.

What winter projects does everyone have lined up? I'm working on re-doing my wall racks for bikes and biking accessories because the bug has bitten the entire family and now we need room for four bikes as opposed to just two. My spouse enjoyed photographing cross-country bike races so much that now she wants an e-bike to facilitate getting from spot to spot on the course as well as some light trail riding which I am very excited to support.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 17, 2024

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Arishtat posted:

There is a special place in hell for people that use Gorilla tape. I've had to re-do two wheelsets that were DIY tubeless'ed with Gorilla tape and cleaning up the residue one the rims was a non-trivial process. It's still better than stripping old tubeless sealant off the inside of tires though.

What winter projects does everyone have lined up? I'm working on re-doing my wall racks for bikes and biking accessories because the bug has bitten the entire family and now we need room for four bikes as opposed to just two. My spouse enjoyed photographing cross-country bike races so much that now she wants an e-bike to facilitate getting from spot to spot on the course as well as some light trail riding which I am very excited to support.

I don't understand why people wouldn't just buy tubeless tape. It isn't much more expensive than gorilla tape. Like a few dollars.

I just sold my Canfield YelliScreamy. I really loved the look of the bike but riding it beat me up. Combination of a stiff frame and hardtail was just murder.

I was intending to buy a full sus trail bike but before I could pull the trigger, the Nukeproof Reactor Pro sold out at Planet Cyclery. I ended up buying a Nukeproof Mega 290 Carbon Elite instead. Even though it's an enduro bike, it's a "mild" enduro. (64 degree HT angle, 160mm rear travel, 1251mm wheelbase in large.) The price to spec is unbeatable so I went for it.

One thing I like is that the size is exactly that of my Megawatt which fits perfectly. It'll be a little harder pedaling this bike uphill than a true trail bike but should be OK. Just hope it's still fairly lively on singletrack. We'll see. Also hope Nukeproof doesn't go under now that I own two of them. 😳

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 17, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Arishtat posted:

What winter projects does everyone have lined up?

Finally converting my bike to flat bars if I can find the right Ti bars (slight rise, slight sweep). Went single speed last summer, time to finish the conversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
On the trek hardtail I need to do a lower service and rebuild the transfer sl. Hei hei needs a bit more- send the shock to fox before it blows up again and take my 34sc apart to at least re-bleed the damper and maybe take apart the compression assembly again because it still doesn't feel very good after i rebuilt it in the fall. Also want to overhaul the brake levers and calipers. Plus new rotors and pads. They have a lot of miles and are starting to feel a little inconsistent and weak.