Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

eke out posted:

re: all stormlight

as far as i'm concerned Chana Davar is basically canon until we get enough new SA5 to know otherwise, there's just so much poo poo pointing that way. but i think the Fake Stormfather thing is much shakier, he's always been a crafty liar and it's just further exposing some of that

Please, call him Stormfauxer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Since we’re going all in on fan theories, I like the Virtuosity theory that (Stormlight/Yumi) the Iriali are the missing Yellow in CMY and Virtuosity became The One and splintered itself as the Cosmere’s ultimate performance art.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I’m with Adolin on this one. Kaladin is unlikable. lol

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Adolin rocks and I am going to be so pissed when he dies tragically.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Adolin should be the rear end in a top hat jock. He's wealthy and entitled, son of the biggest badass warlord on the planet, with a reputation as a womanizer, and his hobbies are all frivolous.

It's a testament to Brandon's writing that he's proven to be simply the best dude. Honestly, Vorinism (in general) and Alethi culture (in specific) could do worse than looking to him on how to modernize their cultural views a bit.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
One of my favorite low-key bits of SA is how Sanderson set up such a unique, detailed, and strange set of strict gender roles for the Alethi society to follow... just so he could depict them struggling with all that poo poo getting blown up by external forces and them having to adapt to gender equality. "Yeah, we don't think women should be allowed to fight, but the spren don't give a poo poo and we're not in a position to reject 50% of our Radiants" is such a hilarious punch in the teeth for them. "Women shouldn't have shardblades... except literally the first Radiant we discovered was Shallan, and the second one was Jasnah, so, y'know, you go and try and take their swords away from them"

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

CapnAndy posted:

One of my favorite low-key bits of SA is how Sanderson set up such a unique, detailed, and strange set of strict gender roles for the Alethi society to follow... just so he could depict them struggling with all that poo poo getting blown up by external forces and them having to adapt to gender equality. "Yeah, we don't think women should be allowed to fight, but the spren don't give a poo poo and we're not in a position to reject 50% of our Radiants" is such a hilarious punch in the teeth for them. "Women shouldn't have shardblades... except literally the first Radiant we discovered was Shallan, and the second one was Jasnah, so, y'know, you go and try and take their swords away from them"

I always found it funny how the men can't read and the women basically badmouthed them in the footnotes of all their books

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Making "subtext" be literal under-text is hilarious too

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Boooooy. I hope I’m not to far from a point where all of the Stormlight protags stop constantly lying to each other.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Mordiceius posted:

Boooooy. I hope I’m not to far from a point where all of the Stormlight protags stop constantly lying to each other.

I have a guess as to what prompted this, but do you mind telling us?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

CapnAndy posted:

I would argue against new Heralds because the narrative has been so clear that it was a bad thing. The Heralds are all completely loving insane and "humans should not live that long" has been a pretty consistent point throughout the entire Cosmere.

As for the timeskip, I'd guess at a decade or so, if only because Lift has been walking around with a great big I'm Important In The Back Half sign on her forehead in every book. Maybe 15 years, just because it seems a bit weird to introduce Oroden if he's not gonna be a thing later.

For SA6-10 I'm almost certain that Sanderson has both said it's a 5 year timeskip and that Lift is one of the main characters of the 2nd half of the series.

CapnAndy posted:

I don't find the speculation that combining Odium and Honor would result in War persuasive. By the same logic, combining the shards of Cultivation and Honor would result in Tower, which is nonsensical. War is a much more limited concept than either emotion (which is what Odium really is) or honor.

(SA in particular and general Cosmere stuff)
The result would likely be Conflict, of which war is just one of many facets and would contain all 3 shards. Odium (emotion) as the base, Honor as the guidelines (or lack thereof), and Cultivation as the fuel so ensures the drive of Conflict persists and spreads. Plus not all conflicts are necessarily bad/evil/cruel/etc which is where the Honor aspect would really come in to play.

e:

ConfusedUs posted:

Adolin should be the rear end in a top hat jock. He's wealthy and entitled, son of the biggest badass warlord on the planet, with a reputation as a womanizer, and his hobbies are all frivolous.

(Stormlight 1-2 spoilers)

He kinda is that way at first. Him being a badass duelist is 100% the "my dad's a former football star and I'm gonna be the hottest poo poo too" equivalent for their culture. He's constantly frustrated by Dalinar not being bloodthirsty like the other nobles and seems about as close to Young Master mode as he can get (since Dalinar and their culture in general would beat that kind of trope out of a person or kill them in the process). He only really starts to come down off his high horse due to various events (most involving Kaladin) like Roshar Wrestlemania but the main thing that makes him realize he's not the badass he thinks he is is when he sees Dalinar and Szeth fight. Up until that point Adolin was still thinking that he'd meet and exceed Dalinar as a swordsman, only to watch Dalinar fight Szeth and realize that not only is he nowhere near the level of the Blackthorn, but that he's not even near the level of Dalinar right then and there.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 17, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Anshu posted:

I have a guess as to what prompted this, but do you mind telling us?

Words of Radiance - Shallan just met Dalinar and Navani and she's like "Yeah, I burned the ship down." Like, drat Shallan, this is Jasnah's mother and if you trusted Jasnah, you can probably trust her loving mother. All of these lies are only going to lead to more confusion and misdirection. And this is this after Kaladin continues to lie about his abilities. And I'm just ready for them to start trusting each other a little more.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Mordiceius posted:

Words of Radiance - Shallan just met Dalinar and Navani and she's like "Yeah, I burned the ship down." Like, drat Shallan, this is Jasnah's mother and if you trusted Jasnah, you can probably trust her loving mother. All of these lies are only going to lead to more confusion and misdirection. And this is this after Kaladin continues to lie about his abilities. And I'm just ready for them to start trusting each other a little more.

That was not my guess. Be patient. The Knights Radiant have been demonized by Roshar's dominant religion as betrayers for at least a thousand years; it's understandable that those who've realized what they are/are becoming, they'd be hesitant to reveal themselves to authority figures.

ConfusedUs posted:

Evil Fluffy posted:

(Stormlight 1-2 spoilers)

He kinda is that way at first. Him being a badass duelist is 100% the "my dad's a former football star and I'm gonna be the hottest poo poo too" equivalent for their culture. He's constantly frustrated by Dalinar not being bloodthirsty like the other nobles and seems about as close to Young Master mode as he can get (since Dalinar and their culture in general would beat that kind of trope out of a person or kill them in the process). He only really starts to come down off his high horse due to various events (most involving Kaladin) like Roshar Wrestlemania but the main thing that makes him realize he's not the badass he thinks he is is when he sees Dalinar and Szeth fight. Up until that point Adolin was still thinking that he'd meet and exceed Dalinar as a swordsman, only to watch Dalinar fight Szeth and realize that not only is he nowhere near the level of the Blackthorn, but that he's not even near the level of Dalinar right then and there.
Even when frustrated that Dalinar isn't living up to his reputation as the Blackthorn, Adolin's always had a good heart—remember how he stands up for that prostitute when visiting Sadeas's warcamp in WoK?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Evil Fluffy posted:

The result would likely be Conflict, of which war is just one of many facets and would contain all 3 shards. Odium (emotion) as the base, Honor as the guidelines (or lack thereof), and Cultivation as the fuel so ensures the drive of Conflict persists and spreads. Plus not all conflicts are necessarily bad/evil/cruel/etc which is where the Honor aspect would really come in to play.
If I had to weigh in on the combination of Honor and Cultivation it might be something like Civilization. Growth and planning (and culling), but with rules that try and make it just and for the greater good.

I do think that Honor + Odium = War is compelling though. If you are driven to lash out, but want to do it with Honor, that sounds like War, or maybe Justice. Directing your hatred towards those who deserve it.

If you added in Cultivation, that's maybe something like Conquest or Empire. Using War to build something that grows long-term. Conflict sort of works, but it feel self-limiting more then self-reinforcing. Either way, Honor and Odium are at each others' throats, Cultivation would also have to get shanked by the new merged shard, and she doesn't seem interested in a fight to the death yet.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Infinite Karma posted:

Cultivation would also have to get shanked by the new merged shard, and she doesn't seem interested in a fight to the death yet.

We haven't seen it yet but I wouldn't rule out (All Cosmere) Cultivation abdicating the Shard. Koravellium's wisdom plus her Shards drive may motivate her to pass the power to a new vessel. While that hasn't happened I don't think there is anything stopping such an intent.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mordiceius posted:

Ha. You're not ready for when they start telling each other the truth.

Anshu posted:

Even when frustrated that Dalinar isn't living up to his reputation as the Blackthorn, Adolin's always had a good heart—remember how he stands up for that prostitute when visiting Sadeas's warcamp in WoK?
Yeah, Adolin is always defined first and foremost by his niceness. He's just unfailingly nice and respectful to everyone, regardless of social status -- and it's worth noting that his social status when the books open is "close blood relative to the King, heir to a princedom, third in line to the kingdom, as high-ranking as nobility gets". His whole deal is that he ought to come off as a jock who thinks he's hot poo poo, but no, he is simply the nicest dude to everyone because he has a heart of gold and it seriously doesn't even occur to him to, like, not make friends with a local bartender.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, Adolin is always defined first and foremost by his niceness. He's just unfailingly nice and respectful to everyone, regardless of social status -- and it's worth noting that his social status when the books open is "close blood relative to the King, heir to a princedom, third in line to the kingdom, as high-ranking as nobility gets". His whole deal is that he ought to come off as a jock who thinks he's hot poo poo, but no, he is simply the nicest dude to everyone because he has a heart of gold and it seriously doesn't even occur to him to, like, not make friends with a local bartender.

I mean he does call kaladin a slave regularly and said some nasty poo poo about darkeyed women in WoR

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Tunicate posted:

I mean he does call kaladin a slave regularly and said some nasty poo poo about darkeyed women in WoR

I have no idea what you're referring to with the second thing, and if the first thing is in reference to calling Kal "bridgeboy"... I guess that's technically accurate, but a) I can't remember Kaladin ever being hurt by it, even during their contentious early relationship, and b) it clearly later turns into a term of endearment.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
SA5 prolog:

Lot of discussion around Gavilar and the stormfather about 'saying the words' and the stormfather saying that he was close when he said something really forceful but also saying he was far away when he basically said journey before destination. I took this to mean that the words to become a herald were much different than bonding a spren and he's not looking for standard knights radiant oaths

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anshu posted:

I have no idea what you're referring to with the second thing, and if the first thing is in reference to calling Kal "bridgeboy"... I guess that's technically accurate, but a) I can't remember Kaladin ever being hurt by it, even during their contentious early relationship, and b) it clearly later turns into a term of endearment.

Kaladin gets promoted to captain. Adolin immediately tells him to 'know his place', insists that he be referred to by his proper title, and then immediately refuses to give Kaladin the same respect by calling him captain. (and of course in our world calling a full grown minority man 'boy' is the type of demeaning slur that got a supreme court case)

Later, when they're training, adolin also makes a comment about darkeyed women not bathing and missing teeth

of course, he treats kaladin better on OB and later on, but by then kaladin is a radiant and the lightest of lighteyes, so he doesn't even need the 'one of the good ones' exception there.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I like whoever said Honor + Odium = Crusade

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Tell that to Sadeas (WoR)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jose Valasquez posted:

I dunno about you, but my immediate reaction to that event was NICE!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

Well, I never said he was stupid.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

A rookie phenom in the NBA used the WOR sanderlanche to hype himself up and went out and got his first triple double.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

The Sixth sequel is tantalizing as gently caress. Why did Roshar send a Skybreaker, of all the orders? Is a human or singer behind the armor? (Probably human, seven feet is too short for a singer.) What's with that talk of fighting in return for elevation and status, which is very Odium-flavored?

Why does it need to be one or the other? Herdazians and Horneaters are apparently human-parshmen hybrids (unless Brandon has decided to pull back on that). Maybe they could be half singer/half human?

But based on what others had said I guessed singer, because they appeared to be speaking to rhythms

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Sebarial rules and Words of Radiance is doing well to introduce a lot of cool and fun and unique characters that I like. (Except Tyn. gently caress her.)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
She clearly left a lasting impression though, which is the sign of a good character

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Just wait until you meet her sisters, Zync and Coppyr. (not actually a spoiler)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

pik_d posted:

Just wait until you meet her sisters, Zync and Coppyr. (not actually a spoiler)

Brandon was reportedly disappointed he couldn't make Sylvyr work tho

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Slanderer posted:

Why does it need to be one or the other? Herdazians and Horneaters are apparently human-parshmen hybrids (unless Brandon has decided to pull back on that). Maybe they could be half singer/half human?

But based on what others had said I guessed singer, because they appeared to be speaking to rhythms

I would be extremely surprised if all of Rosharan humanity was not speaking to the rhythms in a generation or so.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

No Context Words of Radiance spoiler:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

DarkHorse posted:

Brandon was reportedly disappointed he couldn't make Sylvyr work tho

Well, no need to be blue

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Democratic Pirate posted:

A rookie phenom in the NBA used the WOR sanderlanche to hype himself up and went out and got his first triple double.

What’s this now?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Grundulum posted:

What’s this now?

Looks like it's this:

https://twitter.com/StephNoh/status/1747998346181025825

mewse
May 2, 2006

That's awesome

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
If he played that well after reading the climax of WoR, imagine what he'll do once he gets to Oathbringer.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Can't wait for @Mordiceius to finish WoR and triple double post for the first time

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

Can't wait for @Mordiceius to finish WoR and triple double post for the first time

I'm nearing the half way point. It has been very very good. Even though I constantly want to throttle Kaladin.

It's also unfair favoritism that between WoK and WoR, Kaladin has thus far been the only character to have viewpoint chapters in every part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Thanks. I knew Wemby had posted a triple-double last week, but my sports news sources focused more on the doing amazing things part than on the avid fantasy reader part.