Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

are you ever at an intersection where a semi is turning into the lane next to you, and they just go for it and assume you will back up? even though you can't if there's a vehicle behind you of course.

specifically when the semi is coming from your left and turning right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

actionjackson posted:

are you ever at an intersection where a semi is turning into the lane next to you, and they just go for it and assume you will back up? even though you can't if there's a vehicle behind you of course.

i assume the median tenure of a truck driver is probably like 2 months right now but it might also be an experienced driver who knows that the correct thing to do is split the lane in advance to prevent this situation, but also that that doesnt work because it will just induce cars to suicidally rush into the truck's blind spot to try to pass them on the right first

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

one of the most bonkers things about the truck simulator genre of computer games is that professional truckers also play them. that is serious dedication to the art of trucking.

however euro truck simulator is extremely ftw.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

eSports Chaebol posted:

i assume the median tenure of a truck driver is probably like 2 months right now but it might also be an experienced driver who knows that the correct thing to do is split the lane in advance to prevent this situation, but also that that doesnt work because it will just induce cars to suicidally rush into the truck's blind spot to try to pass them on the right first

I saw a bmw get eaten by a semi trailer trying to squeeze into the right turn lane around the truck

There's a reason every semi has one of those wide right turn stickers on the back. Don't loving try to pass then on the inside right during a turn.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

this is written like a wild bird or maybe a raccoon got in and maybe caused some light mischief lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Whole Foods kidnaps car

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
the car went in rear first which is usually the hallmark of a crash and grab. but... why produce?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the car went in rear first which is usually the hallmark of a crash and grab. but... why produce?

Looks like it went in front first and cruised through produce before coming to a stop. Where are you getting rear first? Other local news?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Have you seen the prices at Whole Foods! Hell, they should call it Whole Paycheck!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The image above appears to be taken from the front of the store where the car gained entry, looking towards the far back of the store where the car decided to stop its trip.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the car seas food, it eats it

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

actionjackson posted:

If I am approaching an intersection where this situation is going to occur I just slow down if not stop short and give the semi truck the space to maneuver. If you are incapable of that then you deserve to get hit by the truck imo

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Rochallor posted:

Have you seen the prices at Whole Foods! Hell, they should call it Whole Paycheck!

I like to tell this to the cashiers because for me it’s a joke and for them it’s true

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

one of the most bonkers things about the truck simulator genre of computer games is that professional truckers also play them. that is serious dedication to the art of trucking.

Some of the most hardcore electric model train enthusiasts are former train engineers. Granted trains are much cooler but still :shrug:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

khazar sansculotte posted:

Some of the most hardcore electric model train enthusiasts are former train engineers. Granted trains are much cooler but still :shrug:

I always liked the elaborate little scenery they put on the table for the train to drive around. That shits pretty neat

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

my grandpa and I used to be huge into the toy trains and model railroads and whatnot when I was a kid/teenager. now I just have to accept reality that I’ll never rent/own (lol) a place big enough to have a decent layout as an adult :sigh:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Maroon Hawk posted:

my grandpa and I used to be huge into the toy trains and model railroads and whatnot when I was a kid/teenager. now I just have to accept reality that I’ll never rent/own (lol) a place big enough to have a decent layout as an adult :sigh:

Make a Z scale layout in a coffee table.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

khazar sansculotte posted:

model trains is different enough that it makes sense, like train engineers don't spend their days building trains and tracks and landscapes lol. this is more like a train engineer coming home from a long day of driving his train and relaxign with a few hours in train simulator (which, like model trains, can be very expensive -- 10k in DLC lol)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Maroon Hawk posted:

now I just have to accept reality that I’ll never rent/own (lol) a place big enough to have a decent layout as an adult :sigh:

I'm like this but with wargames. I don't know if I'm ever going to be able to take my Advanced Squad Leader set out of storage.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

read this article the other day seemed appropriate with all the model train talk

quote:

HS2 isn’t the only British rail project in trouble. Smaller ones are struggling too – very, very small ones.

An ageing population, rising prices and shrinking living spaces have all been blamed for a downturn in the model railway industry. This week, a historic shop announced plans to cease trading, while a national convention revealed that its 2023 meetup would be its last.

“Over the decades, we’ve been privileged to serve enthusiasts and share our passion for model railways with hundreds of thousands of customers,” said the owner of Hattons Model Railways, a Widnes-based institution opened in 1946. “Changing market conditions have had a large impact on the business, we have seen this in declining customer numbers, changing customer demographics and supply chain disruption.”

The Warley National Model Railway exhibition also cited “changing customer demographics” to explain its decision. Until last year, the show had been held in the Birmingham NEC, one of the country’s largest venues.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/jan/14/an-aged-hobby-enthusiasts-struggle-to-keep-model-railway-industry-on-track

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

The crosswalk by my house had another serious accident.

crash not accident

crash not accident

crash not accident

crash not accident

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
It's spelled Donald Accident. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

crash not accident

crash not accident

crash not accident

crash not accident

It's me, I'm the carbrain

speng31b
May 8, 2010

crash not accident

crash not accident

crash not accident

crash not accident

interesting

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

crash not accident

crash not accident

crash not accident

crash not accident

concerning, looking into this

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

crash not accident

crash not accident

crash not accident

crash not accident

Poor Grendel's had an accident. So may you all

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

crash not accident

crash not accident

crash not accident

crash not accident

you think they did it on purpose

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
'Accident' is not the preferred nomenclature, Dude.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i have taken care of it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
cars are pretty cool

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I prefer to call them oopsy-doodles

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

nomad2020 posted:

I prefer to call them oopsy-doodles

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Oopsy-doodles are pretty cool

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

It's spelled "accident"

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

lobster shirt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IzVGjWy070

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Vox Nihili posted:

It's spelled "accident"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lobster shirt posted:

truckgamers ftw
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7321754662346951979

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

When the economy is good and people have the freedom to choose the transportation that works best for them.

https://www.newsweek.com/americans-can-no-longer-afford-their-cars-1859929

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

When the economy is good and people have the freedom to choose the transportation that works best for them.

every time I see some huge monstrosity pickup I wonder how people can afford it and the answer is I guess they can't really, they're paying huge monthly payments at 10% rates for 72 months

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sure is hilarious when interest rates rather than purchase prices are the controlling factor on the affordability of cars, and rates going from 4% to 8% "doubles" the price of a car that still costs the same $25k or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

lol

my bony fealty posted:

every time I see some huge monstrosity pickup I wonder how people can afford it and the answer is I guess they can't really, they're paying huge monthly payments at 10% rates for 72 months

I've seen ads for 84 months. They aren't vehicles anymore, they are a Lifestyle and only poors don't have the Lifestyle. You're not a poor, are you?