Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

LegendaryFrog posted:

Surprising nobody, Vivek Ramaswamy just dropped out of the race and endorsed Trump.

Vivek, Vivek, rhymes with “pull up stakes”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LegendaryFrog posted:

Surprising nobody, Vivek Ramaswamy just dropped out of the race and endorsed Trump.

Well, it's a surprise to somebody...

I mean, he could be right, everyone was expecting Vivek to get nothing.

Also, good riddance. I hated seeing this guy's rat face everywhere when everyone knew he'd be gone early in the primary.

Five Year Plan
Feb 18, 2009

Kalit posted:

It was with regards to what "modern right-wing candidate" meant in this point:

E: Re-reading this, I guess going decades back isn't an accurate read of this, my bad. I guess I was thinking about "recent" R candidates to show that Trump's turnout isn't a once in a generation outlier.

Although, limiting it to current politicians/candidates, I could see Musk or Don Jr. easily swooping in for this role without Trump. Or, hell, even DeSantis if he didn't have to campaign against Trump

Thanks for the added context. Also, I swear I’m not trying to pick on you, but Elon Musk isn’t eligible to be president.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Five Year Plan posted:

Thanks for the added context. Also, I swear I’m not trying to pick on you, but Elon Musk isn’t eligible to be president.

Oh, right, fair enough. I was just trying to come up with names off the top of my head and forgot he wasn't a natural born citizen.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

LegendaryFrog posted:

The Nerevarine always gets his.

Pity we didn't get another game on the level of Morrowind out of it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LegendaryFrog posted:

He blew $17 million of his own money on this.

Not gonna bankrupt him, unfortunately, but that's a few less mansions or yachts he can buy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Vivek got exactly what he wanted: a permanent invitation to the right wing griftosphere.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

Also, good riddance. I hated seeing this guy's rat face everywhere when everyone knew he'd be gone early in the primary.

I'm predicting he won't really come back either. I think he'll try but end up like Andrew Yang, just another rich dipshit nerd who thought being rich makes up for being a dipshit nerd. Also I'm glad, he's a real POS in a way that Yang definitely isn't and I hate him.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kalit posted:

I guess I meant in terms of elected presidents, as that's what was being discussed. There has only been 2 republican ones in between Reagan and Trump.

I mean in the context of the discussion that's a completely useless measure. The nature of politics means that many things can change drastically within a single president's term. Like say a once in a 100 year pandemic, or a terrorist attack that causes an entire country to lose its loving mind.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I'm predicting he won't really come back either. I think he'll try but end up like Andrew Yang, just another rich dipshit nerd who thought being rich makes up for being a dipshit nerd. Also I'm glad, he's a real POS in a way that Yang definitely isn't and I hate him.

But he’ll hang around in the Alex Jones weird-loser grifter space.

Not relevant but hauntingly revolting. Like the ghost of a fart.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Flamed out spectacularly? DeSantis has never lost an election. Sure, he's likely to lose the presidential primary against Trump, but it's not really shocking that the guy running against Trump doesn't capture Trump voters quite as well as Trump himself does. That's a problem a lot of the far-right presidential aspirants have - stealing away the MAGA vote from the guy who literally invented MAGA is a tough task.

If Trump got disqualified and thrown in jail, on the other hand, the likes of DeSantis would have a much better time. "Vote for me, I'll do what Trump would have" is a far easier message to sell than "Vote for me instead of Trump, I'll do what Trump would have". That's their core problem: they're running on being Trump Guys despite the fact that they're running against Trump, and they can't come up with a convincing reason that Trump lovers should vote for them instead of Trump, especially since they don't dare to criticize Trump directly.

I apologize, I did mean in the "will this person fondle the nuclear football" sense. Ron, as far as I can see, bet his hand on this round of the POTUS race, and particularly on being the Trumpier Trump that ever curb-stomped a Disney star, and that didn't go well.

"If Trump just up and died" seems like the major campaign strategy for a lot the Chris Christies this turn around, but he hasn't so far. There is another year to go at it, admittedly.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
They all hoped trump would be in jail by now so they could run on pardoning him

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rappaport posted:

I apologize, I did mean in the "will this person fondle the nuclear football" sense. Ron, as far as I can see, bet his hand on this round of the POTUS race, and particularly on being the Trumpier Trump that ever curb-stomped a Disney star, and that didn't go well.

"If Trump just up and died" seems like the major campaign strategy for a lot the Chris Christies this turn around, but he hasn't so far. There is another year to go at it, admittedly.

I think DeSantis has potential as a Trump successor. But there's no way a Trump successor can win against Trump himself. The best DeSantis can possibly hope for is inheriting Trump's base after Trump himself dies or becomes incapable of running. This is a guy who aired campaign ads of himself reading "Art of the Deal" to his kids. He can follow Trump, but he can't surpass Trump.

But when Trump is gone, his base won't vanish.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

I think DeSantis has potential as a Trump successor. But there's no way a Trump successor can win against Trump himself. The best DeSantis can possibly hope for is inheriting Trump's base after Trump himself dies or becomes incapable of running. This is a guy who aired campaign ads of himself reading "Art of the Deal" to his kids. He can follow Trump, but he can't surpass Trump.

Right, but that was the Joke (trademark) for Ron this cycle. Trump was meant to vanish, but he didn't, or hasn't so far, and Ron's cruelty ended up being the single point. And him snubbing the pubbie apparatus along his way didn't help, either.

If you think I am arguing for some kind of Trump-Sonderweg, I'm not, he's just still there, right now, winning a primary. What the US voting populace does once he is gone is anyone's guess, but it seems like the Haileys and Santises guessed four years too early, right now.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

A lot of people stopped even thinking about how trump isn't even participating in the debates, like they've already mentally normalized the thing where he doesn't even show his face and lets these suckups gently caress around with each other because it doesn't matter and the heart of conservatism here is simply owned by trump full stop

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

it's just another season of The Apprentice, everyone's sitting around waiting to see who trump makes his VP

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Had potential, maybe. He lost it when he betrayed the big Don. You just need to read the Freep thread to see how long they nurse grudges over things like this. Remember when it was Ted Cruz? Exactly.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Pepperidge farms remembers.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

TheDisreputableDog posted:

The “basket of deplorables” strategy backfired in 2016, why would it be more effective this time?

Because Biden is more popular and people are taking trump seriously this time. This isn’t 2016 lol.

Calling trump voters that support homophobia, racism, anti trans laws, and anti abortion laws ‘deplorables’ was correct then and 100 times more correct now.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Dpulex posted:

Because Biden is more popular and people are taking trump seriously this time. This isn’t 2016 lol.

Calling trump voters that support homophobia, racism, anti trans laws, and anti abortion laws ‘deplorables’ was correct then and 100 times more correct now.

More popular? Biden has the lowest approval ratings of any president in fifteen years, lower than Trump ever managed:

quote:

Among all adults, Biden's approval rating is just 33% in this poll, worse than Trump's low as president (36%) and the lowest since George W. Bush from 2006-2008. Fifty-eight percent disapprove of Biden's work.

Among groups, just 31% of women now approve of Biden's work in office, a new low (as do 34% of men). He won 57% of women in 2020.

He's at 28% approval among independents, a customary swing voter group; a low of 32% among moderates; and a low of 41% among college graduates, 10 points off his career average in that group.

Further, Biden's approval rating is 21 points below average among Black people and 15 points below average among Hispanic people, compared with 6 points among white people; more Black people, in particular, offer no opinion.

There's a striking difference among Black people by age in their views of Biden: He has an approval rating of 65% among Black people age 50 and up, dropping sharply to 32% among Black people younger than 50. Age gaps are not apparent among white or Hispanic people.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-tops-opponents-biden-hits-new-low-approval/story?id=106335244

I don’t think insulting the supporters of one’s political opponent is an effective way to win elections, as evidenced by Hillary’s loss to Donald Trump, but hey maybe this time will be different

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Main Paineframe posted:

If Trump loses in November, it will probably erode his base pretty significantly. It's hard to justify backing a two time loser whose whole schtick is winning.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Shooting Blanks posted:

If Trump loses in November, it will probably erode his base pretty significantly. It's hard to justify backing a two time loser whose whole schtick is winning.

Nah a lot of these folks will vote for him as long as he's alive (and possibly after he isn't). They'll just say it was stolen again.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Bellmaker posted:

Nah a lot of these folks will vote for him as long as he's alive (and possibly after he isn't). They'll just say it was stolen again.

Yeah but when their golden god becomes a serial loser and shits the bed for them for 4 whole years, they feel like losers too and a lot of their mob zealot poo poo just sputters out like waste heat. Demoralization works in so many ways against vote cohesion

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't think that's true but I guess neither of us will find out since he's going to sail into victory.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Staluigi posted:

Yeah but when their golden god becomes a serial loser and shits the bed for them for 4 whole years, they feel like losers too and a lot of their mob zealot poo poo just sputters out like waste heat. Demoralization works in so many ways against vote cohesion

He's been objectively making GBS threads the bed for decades now. If someone hasn't seen it by now they never will. As long as the right people are hurt by his policy.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Being a 1 term president due to losing a reelection is already a pretty notable failure as far as presidents go nowadays.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

koolkal posted:

Being a 1 term president due to losing a reelection is already a pretty notable failure as far as presidents go nowadays.

It happened to LBJ, Carter and HW Bush so not that crazy really - 3 of the last 10 presidents

E: sorry forgot Ford like everyone does, so 4 of the last 11

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 16, 2024

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

koolkal posted:

Now you're just being obsequious. Do I have to point to the Air Bud poster on the wall of DnD?

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

The Top G posted:

More popular? Biden has the lowest approval ratings of any president in fifteen years, lower than Trump ever managed:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-tops-opponents-biden-hits-new-low-approval/story?id=106335244
There were certainly polls where Trump got worse approval ratings but I guess they don't count for some reason.

Of course, there have also been worse polls for Biden's approval than 33%, certain online polls that are at least respectable enough for G. Elliott Morris to include in the 538 poll average have had him in the 28-30% range.

So, let's just big picture it for a second.(Green line is Biden, black line is Trump.)

He's basically as popular as Trump, and his popularity has not changed very much at any point since January of 2021 2022 [THANKS KOOLKAL.] If he's as popular in April as he is right now, then he would be about as popular as Trump was in April of his election year. (Of course, Trump lost.)

The only time when his approval ratings rose significantly was in the summer and fall of 2022, when his average went up from around the 38-39% it is now and topped 43%. So we can infer campaigns are good for Democrats (/bad for Republicans), and be glad that there is going to be one and that it hasn't really started yet.

Like, there's a zillion polls, so as long as Biden's popularity is roughly constant, there will, via normal statistical variation, always be one where he just set a new personal low mark. I mean, as long as we're cherry picking why not cite the Rasmussen likely voter poll that has has him at 45%, and had him as high as 49% at points in 2023?

...I would also like to reiterate my complete bafflement that people who claim to be leftists appear so gleeful that Joe Biden is unpopular, when the reasons people cite are "crime [blacks] and immigration [hispanics]," and not "lack of communism," and when the people who disapprove of him and demand his replacement are overwhelmingly right wing, and the chief alternative is a fascist. It's almost literally unbelievable that somebody on the left would react to Biden struggling this way.

Of course, nobody has outwardly expressed glee in this thread in recent discussions, and I don't want to strawman anybody. But honestly... it does not seem very subtle sometimes, to me. Of course, if anybody would like to "own" being gleeful and defend it as a reaction, that's a discussion we can have.

The Top G posted:

I don’t think insulting the supporters of one’s political opponent is an effective way to win elections, as evidenced by Hillary’s loss to Donald Trump, but hey maybe this time will be different
There was also a candidate in 2016 who insulted his opponent's supporters a lot and won.

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 16, 2024

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Of course Trump insulted libs, but that’s allowed. That’s the deal with America. You can insult libs/progressives/yankees as much as you want, and they’ll take it, they will coddle a reactionary force like no other. It took a lib getting beaten into brain damage on the floor of the house before they realized these southerners might be loving serious.

Americans are cradle-to-grave raised and conditioned to defer to insane oligarchs and we have no natural defenses when one goes for the jugular. It’s a natural consequence of our political economy and it’s wild to see it play out again and again in our history. So many rich dudes just needed any kind of meaningful resistance and America, again and again, tried nothing and were all out of ideas. We’re doing it again, right now with Elon Musk. Bill Ackman is another example, a little less obvious, but at any given time you can find a rich guy in America being allowed to go absolutely hog wild and nobody with any power to do anything about it.

edit:
Harlan Crow: proved you can just outright buy a Supreme Court justice, got himself a little Hitler museum together. What’s gonna come of it? Him and Clarence Thomas deciding when they will retire, on their own terms.

selec fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 16, 2024

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
IIRC LBJ didn't run for reelection?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Raenir Salazar posted:

IIRC LBJ didn't run for reelection?

Perhaps true, but Caro will never finish writing that last volume so we may never know.

(Yeah, I goofed that one. You'd think I would have remembered that with the convention riots and whatnot)

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Biden is absolutely more popular than Trump even if people say that they "disapprove" of Biden. Lots of people disapprove of Biden including on these forums but given the choice between Biden and Trump, it's a no-brainer. I keep saying this: approval polls don't measure the loathsomeness of Trump and how people really feel about him vs. any other candidate.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Ron Wyden announced that they have a bipartisan tax deal agreed to and want to schedule a vote for it next week to make sure the benefits can be applied to tax filings for this year. The deal expands the child tax credit and business tax breaks passed during the Trump administration.

The child tax credit details of the deal:

- Expands the child tax credit

The expansion is not as much as the expansion in the 2021 Biden stimulus bill. The total expansion is roughly 1/3 of the amount in the stimulus bill or about $600 per child for low-income households. However, it is a permanent expansion unlike the stimulus bill.

- The child tax credit is currently only partially refundable. This will expand the refundability of the credit to make sure low-income families who pay little or no tax can claim the full benefit.
- Indexes the child tax credit to inflation.
- Allows filers to use their income from the prior year, if it would result in them getting a larger benefit.

The business tax cut details:

- Allows businesses to deduct a greater amount of R&D spending.
- Allows for more deductions for interest costs/payments.
- Doubles the amount of depreciation businesses can deduct.
- Expands credits for small business business expenses.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1747262178082836880

quote:

Congress announces major tax deal to expand child tax credit and revive breaks for businesses

WASHINGTON — Senior lawmakers in Congress announced a bipartisan deal Tuesday to expand the child tax credit and provide a series of tax breaks for businesses.

The $78 billion tax agreement between House Ways and Means Chair Jason Smith, R-Mo., and Senate Finance Chair Ron Wyden, D-Ore., caps months of negotiating and pursuing common ground in the divided Congress.

“American families will benefit from this bipartisan agreement that provides greater tax relief, strengthens Main Street businesses, boosts our competitiveness with China, and creates jobs," Smith said in a statement. "We even provide disaster relief and cut red tape for small businesses, while ending a COVID-era program that’s costing taxpayers billions in fraud."

The deal, details of which were reported earlier by NBC News, would enhance refundable child tax credits in an attempt to provide relief to families that are struggling financially and those with multiple children. It would also lift the tax credit's $1,600 refundable cap and adjust it for inflation.

The new child tax credit policy would benefit about 16 million kids in low-income families, according to an analysis by the liberal-leaning Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. “The expansion would meaningfully reduce child poverty,” CBPP wrote. “In the first year, the expansion would lift as many as 400,000 children above the poverty line. 3 million more children would be made less poor as their incomes rise closer to the poverty line.”

Democrats had demanded a larger child tax credit after an earlier version they passed for less than one year expired, causing child poverty to fall and then rise again after it lapsed. The new agreement would provide smaller benefits than the monthly payments under the American Rescue Plan.

“Fifteen million kids from low-income families will be better off as a result of this plan, and given today’s miserable political climate, it’s a big deal to have this opportunity to pass pro-family policy that helps so many kids get ahead,” Wyden said in a statement.

Republicans were motivated to revive some expired portions of the 2017 Trump tax cuts for businesses. The deal includes expensing for research and experimental costs, restoration of an earlier interest deduction, an expansion of small-business expensing and an extension of bonus depreciation, according to a section-by-section summary released by the Ways and Means Committee.

Wyden has said he hopes to pass the deal by the beginning of tax filing season, which is Jan. 29. That's not assured as Congress is juggling other priorities, most notably averting a government shutdown at the end of this week and completing its funding process by March. If it passes, it would be a rare success story of active legislating on a politically sensitive issue by a divided Congress that has so far been historically unproductive.

"My goal remains to get this passed in time for families and businesses to benefit in this upcoming tax filing season, and I’m going to pull out all the stops to get that done," Wyden said Tuesday.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 16, 2024

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Per Wyden (via David Dayen at the prospect), it also raises the 1099 threshold for independent contractors to $1,000 (and adjusts for inflation moving forward) up from $600

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1747270851953926579

B B
Dec 1, 2005

small butter posted:

Biden is absolutely more popular than Trump even if people say that they "disapprove" of Biden. Lots of people disapprove of Biden including on these forums but given the choice between Biden and Trump, it's a no-brainer. I keep saying this: approval polls don't measure the loathsomeness of Trump and how people really feel about him vs. any other candidate.

Your feelings are not supported by polling. Biden's favorable rating is currently lower than Trump's (Biden - 38.9%; Trump 42.3%), and Biden's unfavorable rating is higher than Trump's (Biden - 55.4%; Trump - 52%).

People don't really like Biden or Trump, but for whatever reason people seem to like Biden even less than Trump.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

small butter posted:

Trump walked away with the Iowa Caucus but 51% has got to make him nervous that it wasn't 85-90%. More importantly, it's the lowest turnout in 30 years and 1/3rd less than the 2016 turnout.

Maybe it was the cold and and outlier but if the low participation and the low support of those who do participate continues then maybe there is some reason to be optimistic that Mom and Pop republican are coming out of their trance.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
At this point I'm not rooting for Biden over Trump as much as I am hoping for a resounding repudiation of the howling racist morons that comprise his base.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Murgos posted:

Trump walked away with the Iowa Caucus but 51% has got to make him nervous that it wasn't 85-90%. More importantly, it's the lowest turnout in 30 years and 1/3rd less than the 2016 turnout.

Maybe it was the cold and and outlier but if the low participation and the low support of those who do participate continues then maybe there is some reason to be optimistic that Mom and Pop republican are coming out of their trance.

Low or high primary participation doesn't really translate to general election results. 2016 had historically high primary participation and historically low general election participation.

There has always been a ~25% bloc of Republicans who don't like Trump, but the vast majority of them are going to vote for Trump anyway.

Same thing with Biden. Part of Biden's low favorability is because he only has ~70% approval among Democrats. Most of those 30% who disapprove will end up voting for him anyway.

There's no indication that Trump or Biden are actually going to lose ~25% of their base, even if they may be unhappy about them for various reasons.

Similarly, I really doubt that the ~30% of Republicans who say they will vote for Trump now, but would not vote for him if he was convicted of a felony, actually holds up and many/most of those people claiming that will end up voting for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

B B posted:

Your feelings are not supported by polling. Biden's favorable rating is currently lower than Trump's (Biden - 38.9%; Trump 42.3%), and Biden's unfavorable rating is higher than Trump's (Biden - 55.4%; Trump - 52%).

People don't really like Biden or Trump, but for whatever reason people seem to like Biden even less than Trump.

Favorability does not measure loathing. Many people may not have a favorable view of Biden, but people absolutely, absolutely detest Trump. There is probably no more loathed person in American politics than Trump, which is different than saying he's unpopular or that people have unfavorable views of him. This is an important distinction because this hatred will drive the polls in 2024 in a way that will affect Biden much less.