Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I want to give US MIC the benefit of doubt, is there a list of new US weapons that were designed after the cold war, particularly released in the last 2 decades, that are actually good? Like, they will go into textbooks as examples of good weapons, not going into textbooks as examples of bad weapons.

The predator and reaper drones seem to be good at what they do, as long as you've got air supremacy over an impoverished or occupied nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Glass cockpit avionics are probably worthwhile. DAGR is very good. Laser rangefinders are used as a crutch and are dangerous to use in a peer conflict but are convenient. IMPs are much better than they used to be. The new tents and not-Coleman stoves are good too.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I've watched enough of Steve1987's videos to appreciate how robust and comparatively appetizing US rations are, though that's more an iterative processes on a design from 1980.

Slavvy posted:

I don't think the f22 was particularly good from a strategic perspective tbh. That money could've bought a whole bunch of f15's or missiles or whatever that would actually have been useful

I meant tactically, but yeah with the kinds of wars the US has picked in the past 30 years you could practically use a fleet of Super Tucano type things.

Owlbear Camus has issued a correction as of 18:22 on Jan 15, 2024

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
So not one particular "this gun defined a generation of warfare", but a fuckton of improvements on support hardware?

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

SixteenShells posted:

So not one particular "this gun defined a generation of warfare", but a fuckton of improvements on support hardware?

If an arms manufacturer in 2024 is trying to sell you a revolutionary new rifle that'll fit that label, it's 100% a scam

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Sancho Banana posted:

If an arms manufacturer in 2024 is trying to sell you a revolutionary new rifle that'll fit that label, it's 100% a scam

but I need my ammo to be on the blockchain. I need AI aim assist. I need the latest advances in plastic materials design

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mandel Brotset posted:

but I need my ammo to be on the blockchain. I need AI aim assist. I need the latest advances in plastic materials design

i need more range to shoot the fleeing goatherder

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

SixteenShells posted:

Yes, but to this point:

Sancho Banana posted:

War has always been mostly about improvements to support hardware. Napoleon's major innovations were organizational and logistical, so were Marlboroughs, so were the Romans' and the same is true going back to the Bronze Age. The people scamming DoD know this, and honestly, so do the people at DoD. It's just very easy to sell the public and politicians on small arms in particular for cultural reasons.

You have a much more efficient military if people have a reliable supply of warm, dry, clean clothes and places to sleep rather than better weapons, it's just that it's extremely boring.

A problem for western militaries is that the sleeping and clothing companies which used to be niche brands for mountain climbers, 5.11, Arc'teryx, North Face, Kifaru, and so were very happy to take government contracts for pennies on the dollar, have become massive brands through the GWOT and are now lifestyle brands for Vancouverites, and so the prices they are asking for the next generation of clothing, packs, tents and sleeping bags are astronomical.

Palladium posted:

i need more range to shoot the fleeing goatherder

I see you've read Weapon of Choice

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 18:45 on Jan 15, 2024

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

SixteenShells posted:

I think you can say Drones defined Afghanistan and are currently being deployed by every combatant with the ability to do so.
A major shift in combat capability that's still being explored and refined from the scouting quadcopter to the intercontinental loitering missile platform.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Canada Goose is another professional-turn-Gucci brand.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is still useful to have a air superiority fighter, F-22 isn't perfect but it accomplishes it job. Arguably, the US simply has put way too much of its investment in stealth when the results have generally been fairly mediocre in terms of bang versus buck. Not only does the US have to be paranoid about its weapon falling into enemy hands, limiting its usage, but to make stealth worthwhile, you need to use internal bays which dramatically decrease how many munitions you can carry.

If the F-22 is there simply to protect US aircraft, it is fine, but US airspace wasn't in any real threat. Then they completely demolished the program, so it is pretty much an historical debate at this point.

Otherwise the F-35 has been talked to death.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

It is still useful to have a air superiority fighter, F-22 isn't perfect but it accomplishes it job. Arguably, the US simply has put way too much of its investment in stealth when the results have generally been fairly mediocre in terms of bang versus buck. Not only does the US have to be paranoid about its weapon falling into enemy hands, limiting its usage, but to make stealth worthwhile, you need to use internal bays which dramatically decrease how many munitions you can carry.

If the F-22 is there simply to protect US aircraft, it is fine, but US airspace wasn't in any real threat. Then they completely demolished the program, so it is pretty much an historical debate at this point.

Otherwise the F-35 has been talked to death.

The biggest NAFO YouTube channel just put out a video about how actually stealth is still good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RO5ZAmzjvI

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
He kind of melts down at the end there when he admits the Russians (and China and probably Iran) already have systems setup. Also, even if a system pings a F-35, it doesn't mean the F-35 is going to be capable of hitting it, not only due to range but simply the mechanics of having such a limited number of munitions. Also, you are going to have a bunch of other jets opposing you with their own radars.

There has been growing anger the NAFO-sphere after was finally admitted the Russians produced 10 Su-57 this year and have came out with their new engine. The Su-57 specifically to fill in gaps of Russia's air defense and they don't need match the west one to one.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 19:34 on Jan 15, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
wow the epic funni piggyman is so smart. He knows everything about land, air and (probably sea)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

It is still useful to have a air superiority fighter, F-22 isn't perfect but it accomplishes it job.

Yeah, it killed the poo poo out of that balloon

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

Yeah, it killed the poo poo out of that balloon

Pretty much

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr5znirNRec

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

C-RAM fails to stop Iranian missiles

https://twitter.com/eshamseddin/status/1747005957479993839

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Glass cockpit avionics are probably worthwhile. DAGR is very good. Laser rangefinders are used as a crutch and are dangerous to use in a peer conflict but are convenient. IMPs are much better than they used to be. The new tents and not-Coleman stoves are good too.

steam-gauge flight instruments suck poo poo and I hate them, for many reasons including that if anything is wrong with them you're basically not allowed to do anything at all to them as a mechanic and have to send the instrument off to a specialty shop to get it looked at

and something is often wrong with them because they're a bunch of little fiddly mechanical doodads in a machine that is constantly vibrating

when a modern glass-cockpit instrument package breaks the problems are mostly just 'the computer is broke' or 'there is an electrical problem', not 'somebody overtorqued a screw by one half-turn and so the instrument shook itself to pieces'

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mister Bates posted:

steam-gauge flight instruments suck poo poo and I hate them, for many reasons including that if anything is wrong with them you're basically not allowed to do anything at all to them as a mechanic and have to send the instrument off to a specialty shop to get it looked at

and something is often wrong with them because they're a bunch of little fiddly mechanical doodads in a machine that is constantly vibrating

when a modern glass-cockpit instrument package breaks the problems are mostly just 'the computer is broke' or 'there is an electrical problem', not 'somebody overtorqued a screw by one half-turn and so the instrument shook itself to pieces'

Thank you for the insight, I had no idea how the old gauges worked, but had a sense they broke all the time.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

luv 2 b brought into the third world war by the staffers pretending to be joe biden approving the strikes written up by the staffers pretending to be the secretary of defense. luv this weekend at bernies hellhole that is run by decrepit husks piloted by ivy league legacy admissions who still haven't learned that other people actually exist, it's not that they're surrounded by highly convincing A.I.

loving owns.

e: at what point does this become a world war? If the U.S. declares war on Iran, where the scope is considered to be the Russia/Ukraine war and the U.S. + Allies vs Iran + allies war? If, after the U.S. and some/all of Nato declare, they begin to mobilize their economy towards war? If other factions in the region join the war? the merging of these potential wars into a collective conflict? some combination of these? though considering "world war" is just a word, just a category that we put particular wars into, I guess this is a pointless question. God drat I want off of mr. biden's wild ride

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 00:01 on Jan 16, 2024

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

TeenageArchipelago posted:

luv 2 b brought into the third world war by the staffers pretending to be joe biden approving the strikes written up by the staffers pretending to be the secretary of defense. luv this weekend at bernies hellhole that is run by decrepit husks piloted by ivy league legacy admissions who still haven't learned that other people actually exist, it's not that they're surrounded by highly convincing A.I.

loving owns.

been saying this

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

if it makes you feel any better the start of world war may be marked in history books as beginning with concentration camp internees executing a paraglider raid against their captors, which is kinda metal.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

loving owns.

e: at what point does this become a world war? If the U.S. declares war on Iran, where the scope is considered to be the Russia/Ukraine war and the U.S. + Allies vs Iran + allies war? If, after the U.S. and some/all of Nato declare, they begin to mobilize their economy towards war? If other factions in the region join the war? the merging of these potential wars into a collective conflict? some combination of these? though considering "world war" is just a word, just a category that we put particular wars into, I guess this is a pointless question. God drat I want off of mr. biden's wild ride

The empire and it's vassals are not capable off mobilizing their economies towards war, don't worry about it

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tankbuster posted:

wow the epic funni piggyman is so smart. He knows everything about land, air and (probably sea)

his most successful piece of propaganda was getting the internet to believe the T-14 Armata's engine is just a copied engine from a ww 2 panther tank and thats why its unreliable. This lie has gone out and now gets endlessly repeated as a reason why Russians are subhuman and need to be destroyed.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Owlbear Camus posted:

if it makes you feel any better the start of world war may be marked in history books as beginning with concentration camp internees executing a paraglider raid against their captors, which is kinda metal.

credit where credits due

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mandel Brotset posted:

been saying this

Iirc the civil war that was tearing the Inca Empire apart right as the Spanish arrived was in part instigated by the courts of various royal mummies, which is very funny.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Frosted Flake posted:

I've seen accounts, I want to say in one of the books on target selection, that all but admit it was intentional, but that the Chinese people killed were spies, and that the Chinese embassy was coordinating genocide with the Serbs through the intelligence station in the embassy.

Allegedly this is how people in the US deep state think of the event, in any case.

what are people really confused about this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_F-117A_shootdown

the thing crashed mostly intact. China got some really significant parts of the wreckage to study and moved those parts to the embassy so they could ship it back. the US bombed the embassy on “accident” to destroy the parts they recovered.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

e: at what point does this become a world war?

2014. It's just low intensity.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Eventually historians are going to have a big argument about this but I'm going to guess they'll put in 2014 when Russia annexed Crimea or when the actual shooting in the Donbas started. The other option will be October 7th 2023, because no history happened prior to that date whatsoever.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Nuclear weapons keep the ceiling of war temperature low, so maybe a world war in the nuclear era manifests at much slower speed than pre-nuclear world war. We already got the pandemic that erupted in past world wars.

If there are more wars coming in the next couple years and Russia is able to redraw the post-WW2 borderline permanently, I would place the start of WW3 at Feb 24th. Maybe it won't be called WW3, maybe it will be called iWar or something.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 04:09 on Jan 16, 2024

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

I think it's gonna take a carrier getting done in for the newspapers to call it. Future historians would probably say that it either started with Russia's invasion of Ukraine, or October 7th tho

Scallop Eyes has issued a correction as of 05:01 on Jan 16, 2024

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

9/11 as the really early start date so Osama gets to be WW3's Princip

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

march 11, 2019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Oct 7 is the pop-history Sep 1, 1939 equivalent

Feb 22 2022 is the Marco Polo Bridge Incident, "I know a little something about WWII" equivalent

and as FuzzySlippers said, 9/11 is when you just want to show off, like when you say "the Seven Years War was the first world war"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Frosted Flake posted:

The biggest NAFO YouTube channel just put out a video about how actually stealth is still good

im not gonna watch that.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

I get all my military analysis from a guy who is sponsored by "gamersupps," maker of "waifu cups"

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
I think its Michael Parenti (could be mistaken) who referred to ww1+2 as the new 30 years war or something like that. Either way its a pretty neat construction and we should consider it for future use. Maybe even due for a new hundred years war ya never know.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

9/11 as the really early start date so Osama gets to be WW3's Princip

also because history is determined by the victors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

gradenko_2000 posted:

Feb 22 2022 is the Marco Polo Bridge Incident, "I know a little something about WWII" equivalent

I mean really then the answer is 2014 for a Mukden incident analog