Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Professor Funk posted:

This can't possibly be their plan, but I would guffaw if it was

https://x.com/FB_FilmAnalysis/status/1747090854161043848?s=20

There is just no way..........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

There is just no way..........

There's absolutely a way. There's even a world where of the two choices, it's the better one. I don't think it's this world

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Roman is one of five guys the Bears have interviewed for the job (thus far) and one of the first leaks about Harbaugh's NFL interest was that Roman was very likely to join his staff. I'd be pretty surprised if Roman ended up in Chicago

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Roman is really good at developing qbs its a good hire

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Metapod posted:

Roman is really good at developing qbs its a good hire

He's the running game guy. Lamar is playing way better with him gone.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
If they're sticking with Fields, Roman would make perfect sense. Solid hire if you're that determine to keep Eberflus

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

He's the running game guy. Lamar is playing way better with him gone.

Yes he develops the qb then his system gets stale that's his mo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ches Neckbeard posted:

If they're sticking with Fields, Roman would make perfect sense. Solid hire if you're that determine to keep Eberflus

Yeah but there is no way they are going to stick with Fields just because of the reality of what the contracts are going to be.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but there is no way they are going to stick with Fields just because of the reality of what the contracts are going to be.

If they pick up his 5th year they've got 2 years of control.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

mcmagic posted:

Are you saying the Bears are too smart to do a Danny Dimes?

Because the available evidence suggests that they are, in fact, extremely dumb!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ches Neckbeard posted:

It's a 25ish million hit in 2025 and then you have to give him 40+ a year vs restarting the clock with a much better prospect. it's really not even a choice.

Kurgarra Queen posted:

Are you saying the Bears are too smart to do a Danny Dimes?

Because the available evidence suggests that they are, in fact, extremely dumb!
This would be way worse! The Giants didn't have access to the no 1 pick.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Fields can't throw so Roman would be perfect if they are keeping him :v:

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

mcmagic posted:

It's a 25ish million hit in 2025 and then you have to give him 40+ a year vs restarting the clock with a much better prospect. it's really not even a choice.

This would be way worse! The Giants didn't have access to the no 1 pick.

They're not short of cap space. If they're really keeping Eberflus and Fields, might as well bring in Roman. If he's a hit who cares about the pay.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

The situation with QB contracts is bad for the game, but what do you do? Limit QB contracts against total team salary? The contract math would get even more complicated and I don't think the player's association would go for it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's fine if the quarterback is the guy. No one's upset about the Allen, Burrow or Jackson deals. They deserve it.

Why is it their fault that teams backup the truck for the Daniel Jones and Derek Carrs of the world? Those are bad teams and they are punished by sucking.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/NoraPrinciotti/status/1747092577646428351
lol

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
It probably doesn't matter, but I like the concept of Lurie/Roseman and Jones both wanting to stick the other with a worse news cycle when it comes to timing their firing/retaining announcements.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This Eagles team completely fell apart. They have to clean house.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's one minute after the game why isn't Sirianni fired yet

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It's time

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Hiring Greg Roman would mean the Bears are declaring they hosed up the development of Fields as a passer and want him only to run. Pathetic franchise.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/ZBerm/status/1747110921292390799

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

mcmagic posted:

Yeah, it's not even that they collapsed, it's the how. Every aspect of that team has regressed badly from Hurts to the run game to the tackling on down. Sirianni totally botched replacing his coordinators, hosed it up even further by hiring and subsequently promoting Matt Patricia, and also has pretty obviously lost the locker room.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Kurgarra Queen posted:

Yeah, it's not even that they collapsed, it's the how. Every aspect of that team has regressed badly from Hurts to the run game to the tackling on down. Sirianni totally botched replacing his coordinators, hosed it up even further by hiring and subsequently promoting Matt Patricia, and also has pretty obviously lost the locker room.

I honestly would fire every single person on staff. You have to rebuild the bottom up completely. Howie can stay since we know he is too good at this poo poo, but goddamn. Fire sale incoming.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I can excuse some of the defensive woes - the secondary is really old and really bad, that's kind of just a personnel situation.

But the running game is inexcusable and hiring Patricia is inexcusable.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I can excuse some of the defensive woes - the secondary is really old and really bad, that's kind of just a personnel situation.

But the running game is inexcusable and hiring Patricia is inexcusable.

Which is why you have to fire everyone. Let new staff get their pick of who should come in and play defense next year. OLine is about to be completely different as well.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Howie crafting the geriatric back 7 is a concerning line item though.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

That Hurts contact is looking brutal. They almost need to fire Sirianni just to try and salvage him.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I'm gonna say it.

Steichen made Hurts.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If we're talking vibes the Eagles have none. They have negative vibes. This entire roster has completely given up.

They got destroyed by San Francisco and decided the season was over.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
The 49ers shell shocked this team into the shadow realm, straight up killed their vibes, and then the Patricia hire killed the locker room it sure feels like

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Master Stur posted:

then the Patricia hire killed the locker room

he is the doom of empires. let us look at the patriots for an example. lo did they take on the patricia curse a full year before the eagles. when they finally return to relevance? one year after that, will be the iggles' first chance at recovery. the cursed pencil is lodged behind our ear until then.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is Sirianni fired yet?

Why not

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Roman to Chicago would make sense if they're keeping Fields, afterall Roman kind of made his bones taking an extremely limited one read, running QB to a superbowl when Kap was with the 49ers. Even if they were going to go after Caleb they could do a lot worse in terms of someone not to gently caress up the first two years in the NFL.

Eagles don't quite need to clean house, in terms of poo poo to fix, a secondary and running game are probably a whole lot easier than most other positions. That being said their defensive line massively underperformed this year and if they don't fire Sirianni, completely new defensive scheme and staff would make sense.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Eagles might be able to turn it around pretty quick.
  • The Eagles have a surprising amount of estimated cap per OTC.
  • They have an extra second round pick from the Saints.
  • it’s a decent safety and corner rookie draft.
  • both coordinators are so bad that any replacement is likely to be at least a bit better

Spend the first, second, and second second on secondary players, grab a rb in the late rounds of the draft and another veteran rb from FA and baby you got a stew going.

Won’t happen in reality, but a path is there. Does the eagles FO ever invest top picks in secondary players? They have a reputation as exclusively building the trenches.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Genuine question.

Why isn't drafting Caleb and sitting him behind Fields for 1 or 2 years an option?
Like, I'm an idiot and the Bears are dumb but I can't see why it's not even talked about.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

DickEmery posted:

Genuine question.

Why isn't drafting Caleb and sitting him behind Fields for 1 or 2 years an option?
Like, I'm an idiot and the Bears are dumb but I can't see why it's not even talked about.

It is talked about on the local Chicago ESPN affiliate. It's "not off the table" and I wouldn't be shocked if Poles tries it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

DickEmery posted:

Genuine question.

Because fields demands a trade if they do that and he’d be right to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

DickEmery posted:

Genuine question.

1.Fields is worth something so you'd be best off getting his value

2. There's not really any evidence that sitting works - there's been cases where people have been good after it but also plenty of QBs who came in and were good right away. One of the big benefits of a rookie qb is cost control, sitting them means you are losing out. There's a a big question for the Packers whether Jordan Love might have always been this good in which case they have wasted a lot of his cheap years to sit him for possibly not very good reasons.