Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Leraika posted:

nick mohammed was the guy from ted lasso, right? his face looks familiar.

Yeah that's him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Also; Little Alex Horne is actually quite vicious. His put-downs of Sophie didn't pull the punch. It reminded me of the time he called Claudia Winkleman orange.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Pablo Bluth posted:

Also; Little Alex Horne is actually quite vicious. His put-downs of Sophie didn't pull the punch. It reminded me of the time he called Claudia Winkleman orange.

Yeah, maybe not the most challenging handicap, but by far the most original and entertaining. Really was rooting for her all episode, certainly gave Dara a run for his money.

New line-up looks interesting - of the ones I recognise Steve Pembleton is the one I was most pleased to see. Apparently he's done some Riddle of the Sphinx style shenanigans in the run up to the show.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Mainwaring posted:

Yeah that's him.

I'm really looking forward to this because I'm completely unfamiliar with his work outside of Ted Lasso. It's kind of like when I got to hear Brett Goldstein's real voice for the first time and I felt reality crack a little. :)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Starting the CoC now, I just want anyone but Dara to win.

It does make me wish there was a way to bring back other former contestants. Really is fun to see returning contestants.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
cool lineup is out. yeah episode 2 of this coming series is what I saw live. nick mohammeds task costume is ridic

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

lol that Kiell still hasn't forgotten the golden pineapple argument.

Dammit.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Sophie was robbed. Her Greg & Little Alex Horne cosplay kit was underscored, and Dara's rubber band thing was overscored.

Hard agree.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Sophie was robbed. Her Greg & Little Alex Horne cosplay kit was underscored, and Dara's rubber band thing was overscored.

:yeah:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
While I also wanted Sophie to win, her disadvantage was slightly overscored even compared to Dara's inconsistent clicking, so it all evens out. Regardless of the winner, a fantastic CoC.

I'm really surprised they allowed Morgana to do her stupid thing without any usual safety equipment. Even if it actually was syrup with a tonne of food colouring in it, I doubt having it in your hair and eyes was a good idea. Definitely deserved her points, though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

kazmeyer posted:

I'm really looking forward to this because I'm completely unfamiliar with his work outside of Ted Lasso. It's kind of like when I got to hear Brett Goldstein's real voice for the first time and I felt reality crack a little. :)

He was also the guy in the Martian that was running the Earth-side probe replica that was cracking wise about the Algonquin round table of witty repartee (and a ton of other stuff)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Azhais posted:

He was also the guy in the Martian that was running the Earth-side probe replica that was cracking wise about the Algonquin round table of witty repartee (and a ton of other stuff)

THAT WAS HIM?!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

How can these people remind me so effortlessly that they're my favourite people in the entire world? And why do they leave so quickly?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Kiell should come back for the inevitable Champion of Champions of Champions.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jehde posted:

Kiell should come back for the inevitable Champion of Champions of Champions.

I suppose when we get there in roughly five years there's a good chance that at least one of the CoC winners won't be interested or available anymore. They could make it a running joke that he stands in for anyone who has better things to do.

Paladinus posted:

While I also wanted Sophie to win, her disadvantage was slightly overscored even compared to Dara's inconsistent clicking, so it all evens out. Regardless of the winner, a fantastic CoC.

I don't think she was overscored at all. Her disadvantage was the most creative and funny so it deserves points regardless of whether it physically impeded her.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
CoC results shook out about how I expected. Dara is too much of a task-performing machine for me to not have expected his win, same as his series. I like him a lot so I don't mind really. Sophie was the other serious opponent and I was really pulling for her-- glad she came so close even if the cosplay kit did get robbed on points.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Listen to the TM podcast, there's some details about TMNZ 2 that I didn't know; it's not newly revealed but I hadn't picked up on it before. They also did a do something stupid task but that wasn't shown: Urzila Carlson tried to do a ramp jump on a bike and broke her collerbone and gave herself a concussion. Guy Montgomery apparently decided to put his dick in a toaster and claim 'Covid's not real'.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i was really excited sophie might win but alas

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

Listen to the TM podcast, there's some details about TMNZ 2 that I didn't know; it's not newly revealed but I hadn't picked up on it before. They also did a do something stupid task but that wasn't shown: Urzila Carlson tried to do a ramp jump on a bike and broke her collerbone and gave herself a concussion. Guy Montgomery apparently decided to put his dick in a toaster and claim 'Covid's not real'.

I always worry about the potential injuries on Taskmaster, and wonder how much Health and Safety paperwork for incidents and near-misses they must get through (Chris Ramseys' Sausage Swivelling Party Game comes to mind, as does the time Sophie Duker was playing with power tools and was launching toys at 75mph through the air).

Sounds like New Zealand are even wilder though, my god.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Irisi posted:

I always worry about the potential injuries on Taskmaster, and wonder how much Health and Safety paperwork for incidents and near-misses they must get through (Chris Ramseys' Sausage Swivelling Party Game comes to mind, as does the time Sophie Duker was playing with power tools and was launching toys at 75mph through the air).

PYF TM H&S violations: Rhod Gilbert delivering a task via javelin, the Knappett

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
The Kongen Befaler christmas special had a 'Get Olli (the assistant) out of the caravan as quickly as possible' task. One of them lit the caravan on fire.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

rhod gilbert waterboarding alex with a mocha

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Unkempt posted:

The Kongen Befaler christmas special had a 'Get Olli (the assistant) out of the caravan as quickly as possible' task. One of them lit the caravan on fire.
That's just :norway:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

TV IV › Taskmaster S17 - PYF TM H&S violations: Rhod Gilbert delivering a task via javelin, the Knappett

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Alex being knocked unconscious in a wheelie bin and fracturing his eye socket.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Listening to the podcast is entrenching my dislike of O'Brien as a TM contestant. Lovely guy, very funny. But he spends a lot of the podcast expressing how confused he was by what other people were doing, criticizing their stuff, and for almost every task going "now I really should have gotten more points for this and this". It's just weird being this competitive about TM and even moreso after already winning champion of champions.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
to be fair, the podcast is largely about nitpicking scores. not that I disagree with you, but

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Listening to the podcast is entrenching my dislike of O'Brien as a TM contestant. Lovely guy, very funny. But he spends a lot of the podcast expressing how confused he was by what other people were doing, criticizing their stuff, and for almost every task going "now I really should have gotten more points for this and this". It's just weird being this competitive about TM and even moreso after already winning champion of champions.

youre not wrong but i think the difference is that i think it's extremely funny to care about winning taskmaster. i cant wait until he and herring get to have a giving too much of a poo poo-off in cococ (and then both lose to widdicombe ofc)

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Paladinus posted:

I'm really surprised they allowed Morgana to do her stupid thing without any usual safety equipment. Even if it actually was syrup with a tonne of food colouring in it, I doubt having it in your hair and eyes was a good idea. Definitely deserved her points, though.

If that sort of paint is ok for toddlers, it's fine for insane comedians :)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Yeah it'll have been non-toxic paint.

Not sure squirting it in your eyes is such a good idea though.

As for H&S violations, I was very surprised they allowed Bob Mortimer to drop a balloon full of his piss (warm fun) onto Sally Philips from a crane.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

I don't think she was overscored at all. Her disadvantage was the most creative and funny so it deserves points regardless of whether it physically impeded her.

While I thought Sophie's disadvantage was genius and made for great TV, I was waiting for Greg to point out that she only managed to have low self esteem for a few minutes and was way too enthusiastic nearer the end of the task.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
That's two episodes in a row where someone was told to insult someone else and they really come out swinging.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Sophie would have won had her strategy worked for the Hat.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I'm so glad the leaked S17 cast turned out to be real.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i only know the guy from ted lasso, are any of the others worth checking out (in terms of stand up specials/etc)

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
John Robbins was Sara Pascoe's ex and he did quite a dark standup show about their breakup. But his radio show with Elis James is a lot more lighthearted and fun.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

eke out posted:

i only know the guy from ted lasso, are any of the others worth checking out (in terms of stand up specials/etc)

Have you never heard of the League of Gentlemen? :monocle:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

eke out posted:

Pemberton does a dark comedy anthology show called Inside Number Nine, short 30 min episodes, featuring him and his long-term writing/performing partner in a variety of different self-contained stories. The tone varies wildly, but there is generally a twist in the tale, and they are really unafraid to mix the supernatural, horror and broad comedy in sometimes very startling ways.

As the subjects vary wildly, it's hard to recommend a specific set to watch, but standout episodes are generally considered to be:

- "The Twelve Days of Christine" ( a young womans life starts to fragment and unravel over a series of different Christmas days, a very touching short drama)
- "Bernie Cliftons Dressing Room" (an ageing 1980s comic duo try to reconnect in the modern age, pathos-ridden)
- "The Riddle of the Sphinx" (a crossword setters' past comes back to bite him, it is superbly nasty)
- A QUiet Night In (a burglary goes very wrong, it is entirely without dialogue, quite brilliantly structured)

I am also very fond of "Hotel Zanzibar" (written as a Shakesperian farce in iambic pentameter, because why not), and "How Do You Plead?" (a dying lawyer recounts how devilishly far he went to win his cases)

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
That one that's a pastiche of low budget horror movies is very good as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Irisi posted:

- "The Riddle of the Sphinx" (a crossword setters' past comes back to bite him, it is superbly nasty)

https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/cryptic/29186

I wonder if it was for a task, or if he just wanted to reveal he was a contestant.