Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is the GOP still doing winner take all for delegates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Hopefully (lol I know) Vivek watching Republicans write him off simply because he's brown and has a secret "muslim-y" name is some sort of wake up call down the road.

E: But until then, gently caress you, you debased yourself to the worst people alive. Lick that boot you craven motherfucker.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

dpkg chopra posted:

The most boring of outcomes. Trump ahead but not so ahead that it gives us any new insights. De Santis second which will keep him in the race. Haley third but close enough to second that she’ll try to keep her momentum dreams alive.

Boring in that it maintains the status quo; exciting in that Trump, DeSantis, and Haley now have even more incentive to trash each other as much as possible.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Not for Iowa. It is for some states, though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

it's more of a mishmash than previous cycles I think, I remember in the past more states had delegates by congressional district. wiki says:

quote:

There will be an estimated total of 2,467 delegates to the 2024 Republican National Convention. In contests until March 15, delegates must be awarded on a proportional basis, either by percentage of statewide vote or share of congressional districts won. Some states have established thresholds between 4 and 20% for proportionality to kick in, under which a candidate receives no delegates. A vast majority, 41 contests totaling 1,920 delegates, operate this way using methods that are hybrid between proportionality and majority-take-all. New York for example has a 20% threshold for proportionality but if a candidate wins a majority, they take all delegates.

and ballotpedia has the specifics

https://ballotpedia.org/Republican_delegate_rules,_2024

NH will have a 10% threshold, for instance

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
Ron Dion Desantis

Caros
May 14, 2008

Imagine spending months in Iowa only to pull 4th place ahead of a few guys that dropped out and one that I am pretty sure is made up. The gently caress is an Asa?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I just noticed that this year's GOP iowa caucus compared to 2016 is really godamn low.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Grouchio posted:

I just noticed that this year's GOP iowa caucus compared to 2016 is really godamn low.

it's -7f and very few people are going out to vote in a caucus that everybody knew trump was winning a year ago

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Phlegmish posted:

Yup. Extremely preliminary results from the Iowa GOP site, but the final percentages will probably be similar.

Only thing up in the air is Haley vs. DeSantis.

e: Asa Hutchinson 1 vote lol

Binkley?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

2024 GOP Primary: Vivek returns to his soulgem

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler
2024 GOP Primary - Vivek 2024- Debasement leads to the basement

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Final results are in. Trump has won with 51% of the vote, and also got at least a plurality in every single county (except Johnson County, where the University of Iowa is located, and where Haley apparently won by a single vote). Not as crushing a victory as he might have wanted, but getting more than every other candidate combined is still nothing to sneeze at. To no one's surprise, Ramaswamy has dropped out and endorsed Trump.

e: Hutchinson, buoyed by his massive 0.2% landslide, has of course vowed to stay in the race

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 16, 2024

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I admire the one guy who marched out into the midwestern frost (still colder here :smug:) to cast the one vote for Hutchinson

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So now we have the results, how inaccurate were the polls? Did any pollster get it right?

I assume they were all wrong like E.Musk is.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Comstar posted:

So now we have the results, how inaccurate were the polls? Did any pollster get it right?

I assume they were all wrong like E.Musk is.

Polls were pretty close to Trump's final result, but incorrectly predicted that Haley would have more votes than Desantis:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Looks like they were reasonably close...except when it comes to DeSantis, for some reason. I'm guessing a lot of people decided to vote for him at the last second, out of pity. He's been trying so hard.

More seriously, he put a lot of effort into gaining support among local opinion leaders, which probably helped him when the time came for the representatives to deliver their speeches.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Phlegmish posted:

Looks like they were reasonably close...except when it comes to DeSantis, for some reason. I'm guessing a lot of people decided to vote for him at the last second, out of pity. He's been trying so hard.

More seriously, he put a lot of effort into gaining support among local opinion leaders, which probably helped him when the time came for the representatives to deliver their speeches.

DeSantis is within the margin of error for most polls.

Some polls were significantly off, but the overall average of polls did very well. Caucuses are also generally more difficult to poll than primaries.

The only thing that was a little off was not really the polls fault. A lot of people were assuming that the undecideds were eventually going to just go with Trump because they usually just go for the default choice. But, they either voted for someone else or didn't show up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There's two ways to interpret iowa: either the Republicans are still all in for Trump, or the only people still Republicans are all in for Trump.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hutch-mentum is dead.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1747288921468240319

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I'm thinking it's just Republicans still being all in for Trump. It was really cold, and Trump was probably going to win so a lot of people just stayed home.

This article says who voted for Haley as opposed to Trump. They seem like the Republicans (and probably some Democrats and Independents) who caucused for Haley are the ones who already stopped supporting Trump.

https://www.npr.org/2024/01/16/1224874558/takeaways-iowa-republican-caucus-2024

NPR posted:

But there are some red flags for Haley going forward.

Her win in Johnson County is indicative of the problem she faces. The county, home to the University of Iowa, has the highest percentage of college degrees in the state. And look at the groups Haley won in the state overall:

-moderates
-those who said if Trump was convicted, he would not be fit to serve as president
-those with foreign policy as their top issue
-those who said they didn't consider themselves part of the MAGA movement
-those who thought Biden legitimately won in 2020
-those who said the candidate quality that mattered most to them was having the right temperament
-those with advanced degrees

Those are hardly the majority of Republican Party rank-and-file voters.

NPR posted:

Put another way ... almost $124 million was spent on campaign ads in Iowa by the Republican candidates, more than any other state by far.

That translates to $1,124 per person who showed up to vote.

This is a crazy stat though. Such as waste of money, at least if voters were bribed, they could spend that money on food. This is all on advertising that isn't changing anybody's minds. This CNN article has the breakdown of who spend what. About 105 million for the non Trump candidates and 18 million for Trump.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/15/politics/advertising-spending-iowa-republicans/index.html

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Barely topping 50% in a rural midwestern caucus is not great for Trump given how tailor made the contest was for him. I don't see anyone beating him for the GOP nomination, but I don't see the results as good news for him in terms of the general election.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
A few elements of CNN's entrance polling:

• 31% of caucusgoers feel Trump isn't fit for the Presidency if convicted of a felony
  • Approximately 3% of voters both voted for Trump and felt a felony conviction would be disqualifying
  • More than half the voters self-described as "super conservative", and Haley won 5% of them
  • 98% of the electorate was white
  • 20% decided on a candidate within the last week. Trump won just over a quarter of those.
  • 41% self-described as rural, easily Trump's strongest group at 57%

Generally, those findings split to two categories. One is that Iowa's caucusgoers are not particularly representative of the nationwide electorate, even among Republicans (much whiter and more rural, per pew). This used to be more generally accepted and uncontroversial 9 years ago, but :shrug:

The other is that a conviction, even ignoring the impact on negative partisanship, still appears as if it'll be fatal regardless of the path the GOP takes. At that point, even the Republican feverdream of Phillips meaningfully splitting Biden's vote (by grabbing the chunk of Dems who feel Biden's too far left) doesn't seem like it'd be enough to save them. We've seen it happen at a state level before (Penny's reform party in MN handing Pawlenty two terms as governor), but most of the country doesn't share Minnesota's long history of third parties and coalitions (see:DFL)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

He couldn’t handle losing to...
*squints, audibly confused*
Ryan? Binkley?

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
It would never actually happen, but Trump being so "Definitely going to win" the primary that he actually ends up losing due the less fervent members of his base assuming he's got it, would be a hilarious reversal of fortune

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

whydirt posted:

Barely topping 50% in a rural midwestern caucus is not great for Trump given how tailor made the contest was for him. I don't see anyone beating him for the GOP nomination, but I don't see the results as good news for him in terms of the general election.

With the exception of maybe the towns along the Mississippi that are arguably part of the Rust Belt, Iowa is not Trump country at all. He got trounced by Ted Cruz there back in 2016.

However, it is true that he has managed to win over evangelicals since then, as they realized that (despite him personally being an immoral philanderer) he would implement their policies and appoint conservatives wherever possible, so I guess you could still say that 51% isn't too impressive

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

He couldn’t handle losing to...
*squints, audibly confused*
Ryan? Binkley?

I am lolling at him throwing shade at the state of Iowa on the way out

quote:

My message of being a principled Republican with experience and telling the truth about the current frontrunner did not sell in Iowa.

I am the best candidate, however, these loving idiots couldn't see that. The Hutch out

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I mean, he’s right. Telling the truth about the current front runner doesn’t play well to Iowa republicans. Or any other republicans. They believe in mirror universe Trump more than they believe in Jesus.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oh, he's absolutely correct, that's what makes it even funnier

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

HutchHeads in shambles

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Ron's loss is yet another blow to the italian american community

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

OctaMurk posted:

Ron's loss is yet another blow to the italian american community

https://twitter.com/lxeagle17/status/1747122489887805536

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

whydirt posted:

The extreme cold for the older voting base that caucuses and the fact that everyone considered it a race for 2nd place makes extrapolation on how good or bad the result is for Trump really difficult. It's hard for me to say it's lack of enthusiasm when a lot of people didn't bother going because of those factors.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Former DeSantis campaign advisor spills the beans on how sad the campaign was. Nothing too surprising, but the details are funny.

quote:

Over the last few weeks, about half a dozen reporters told me they were getting ready to write the obituary on DeSantis’s campaign and wanted to include comments I made to them in off-the-record meetings.

I had no intention of ever sharing these comments with the media, but seeing how they would come out anyway, I felt it necessary to get the story straight from my mouth.

quote:

For months, I warned Governor DeSantis and his team about their campaign strategy; everything from the super PAC to his message seemed wrong, and I made it known. So here’s what happened.

quote:

On May 10, I boarded a Delta Airlines flight to Tallahassee to meet the governor, his wife and his campaign team. It was a sort of meet and greet and strategy session for “influencers,” a term I despise, but I’ll go with it, given that’s what everyone was calling it. I need to clarify from the start that DeSantis, his team and the campaign did NOT pay for my hotel or flight. Every influencer had to pay their own way.

quote:

At the kick-off of the meeting, the team introduced themselves and gave a brief résumé of their past campaign experience. My political Spidey-sense immediately started tingling because I began to hear the same thing repeatedly: “I worked for Ted Cruz in 2016.”

I leaned over to one influencer and said, “No one here has worked on a winning presidential race.”

quote:

“Thirty percent of the Republican electorate is always Trump, 20 percent is with DeSantis, 15 percent is NeverTrump and 35 percent is like Trump but is considering an alternative who holds his opinions,” DeSantis’s pollster said.

Immediately, I thought, “No, that was the state of the race in January, but the tide is beginning to move. Trump is surging with that audience looking for an alternative.”

Their entire premise rested on a head-to-head race, where Haley, Scott, Pence and the rest of the merry bunch would drop out because of low poll numbers and dwindling money. In head-to-head competitions, DeSantis and Trump were tied in key early swing states.

They said that the super PAC was sending mailers and working on door knocking, and consultants from the campaign were getting rich from it. But it all seemed wrong; I raised my hand and asked why the super PAC was sending mailers to Democrats in South Carolina. It seemed like money was being spent quickly for no reason. Why did they have door-knockers in Texas already? It looked like the fox was minding the hen house. They assured me that the mailers were going to Democrats who’d likely vote in the Republican primary (ancestral Democrat strongholds in the South and Appalachia still have many registered Democrats but vote Republican.)

The meeting concluded, and the influencer beside me asked, “What do you think?” I looked at him and just waved my head, “No.”

quote:

“You always mention Florida, but I don’t want to move to Florida. I like mountains and seasons. You need to speak to people who want to stay in the Midwest; you need a national vision. You can’t plant palm trees in Michigan; what are you going to do for people in the Midwest.”

I doubled down. “Republican primary voters, especially white voters, feel under attack. They worry about their sons not having opportunities because of their skin color. For how smart you were and as good of a baseball player you were, you would not have gotten into Yale today because you are a straight white male. They have to know that you understand that and that you share their fears and will fight to fix it.”

quote:

DeSantis said he mentioned China, and then the next influencer began to speak. Like the first influencer, I spoke to him beforehand, saying we need to be honest that things aren’t going well, and he agreed.

But when he opened his mouth, all he did was compliment DeSantis.

I was flabbergasted.

DeSantis asked the room if voters were growing tired of hearing about Florida.

Another influencer said, “I speak to people all the time, and they are not tired of you speaking about Florida.”

quote:

DeSantis asked the room another question, “What are the biggest issues facing the country?”

The influencer who complimented DeSantis said, “The transgender children issue is really an issue of our civilization’s survival.”

quote:

I said, “You need to attack Trump.”

“You want me to attack Trump now?” DeSantis responded.

“Yes, do you want my phone? You can tweet from my phone.” I replied. Everyone laughed, but I was half serious.

Trump had been attacking him for half a year, and I said, “The first time you ignore it, you seem honorable; the fiftieth time, you look like a pussy.”

quote:

I made my way to a car with another influencer. We sat in the back seat and looked at each other. He said, “Dude, that was horrible, wasn’t it? Like this is not good.” I agreed and thought I had to speak to the campaign team during the dinner.

The vibe at dinner was celebratory. People felt good, and I couldn’t understand if I was going insane. After getting a drink and some food, I sat at a table next to Generra Peck, the campaign manager. Another influencer sat on the other side of me, but after hearing much of her insight, I mostly chose to ignore her.

“So what do you think?” Generra asked me.

“I feel like we’re at an Irish funeral, waiting for the body to die,” I replied.

She was taken aback.

quote:

Weeks later, I received word that he was announcing his run on a Twitter Space with Elon Musk onstage.

While almost every other influencer said this was going to be groundbreaking, I said, “This is the stupidest loving idea I’ve ever heard.”

Everyone who knows me from social media knows I spend too much time on Twitter Spaces. They’re glitchy, have no visual aspect and drop speakers constantly. It’s fun to spend time on but not the place for a presidential announcement. I was told endlessly that I was wrong, but unfortunately, I wasn’t. It glitched, no one could hear and people became more interested in Elon than DeSantis.

quote:

As the weeks went by, I grew more frustrated. The advance team was doing a terrible job with his videos off-center with awful lighting, and he was tripling down on the Evangelical vote in Iowa. He appeared on a Christian television show, and it came off terribly to me; it took several times for DeSantis to mention he was Catholic after being asked. When asked about the Vatican, he talked about Israel. Evangelicals are not who they were in the year 2000 — many don’t go to church, most Republicans don’t go to church on a weekly basis and they’re much more transactional in how they approach politics.

quote:

I said that the advance team was an embarrassment and should be fired, the messaging was all wrong, that doubling down to try to sound like an Evangelical when he was not an Evangelical would not work and his interview on the Christian show was embarrassing.

Generra insisted that I didn’t know what I was talking about, and I replied, “This is why the super PAC has nothing to work with, and they say it, you’re not discussing the issues. This is Ted Cruz 2.0.”

At that point, I was cut off by another influencer who asked the DeSantis team if they could get a hold of Elon Musk to see if he was shadowbanned.

I threw my hands up. This was not serious.

That was the last strategy call I was invited to, and while I still supported DeSantis, the writing was very much on the wall.

https://thespectator.com/politics/told-ron-desantis-campaign-2024/

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

quote:

For how smart you were and as good of a baseball player you were, you would not have gotten into Yale today because you are a straight white male. They have to know that you understand that and that you share their fears and will fight to fix it.”

That is such a load of crap.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Eric Cantonese posted:

Yeah, he's still such a DeSantis fan that he dropped his career to become a campaign advisor and has awful political views.

But, he is leaking all the emails and conversations now because he is mad and most of them have already been leaked for an upcoming book that he is trying to get ahead of.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Eric Cantonese posted:

i find it funny because this guy is giving him the wrong answers too. he wants him to double down on the culture war poo poo which i dont think works and makes him poison to moderates. you wont win my dad and various extend family by screaming about woke.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Former DeSantis campaign advisor spills the beans on how sad the campaign was. Nothing too surprising, but the details are funny.

https://thespectator.com/politics/told-ron-desantis-campaign-2024/

I don't doubt that these details are largely true, but this is 100% someone flailing to save their future career in GOP politics

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ninjahedgehog posted:

I don't doubt that these details are largely true, but this is 100% someone flailing to save their future career in GOP politics

yeah, all this sounds correct but its mostly sounds like a /pol/ chud who liked desantis because he was "smart" about bigotry and woops the guy is a weird charisma vacum and "smart" bigotry doesnt work on chud randos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i find it funny because this guy is giving him the wrong answers too. he wants him to double down on the culture war poo poo which i dont think works and makes him poison to moderates. you wont win my dad and various extend family by screaming about woke.

You don't think affirmative action is different? I think of it as more of a borderline pocketbook/class security issue that does resonate with white voters.