Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

But yeah I wouldn't hate the Roman hire. I think I'd prefer Waldron.

It seems like most of the complaints I've seen about Waldron feel like the same poo poo that all SEA coordinators have had the flaw of with the only thing that remains the same being Pete Caroll.

Klint Kubiak, maybe? that 's gonna require info I just don't have because gently caress if I know anything about him.

https://twitter.com/DezBryant/status/1747092093258830270

lmao at the poo poo show of candidates for this job. Could have had Ben Johnson or Bobby Slowik but Eberflus put on a clinic against Brian Hoyer.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
To state the obvious, I'm totally fine losing the Lions offensive and defensive coordinators to head coaching jobs and needing to do some rebuilding to replace them if they hand me a Superbowl or NFC championship on their way out.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
The Packers are 4-1 in playoff games against the Niners when Aaron Rodgers is not the starter.

The only loss being The Catch II

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

NowonSA posted:

To state the obvious, I'm totally fine losing the Lions offensive and defensive coordinators to head coaching jobs and needing to do some rebuilding to replace them if they hand me a Superbowl or NFC championship on their way out.

Yeah ya know what fine same go get those bags, kings

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

NowonSA posted:

i had this strategy and it paid -massive- dividends

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Radia is more powerful than we could have possibly imagined.

I thought I became wildly powerful alongside her last Monday. Imbued with cosmic energies beyond my understanding. But nope.

She's so drat powerful her forum username evolved into a newer, better one.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://twitter.com/RGIII/status/1747105169018404916?t=4LJQKNWp_4yNtl0ZbkQZMA&s=19
The future of Justin Fields

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

any time I see RG3 on TV these days I am beyond happy for him that he got out of the game while still being able to walk normally and think straight after being thrown to the wolves.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Hot Diggity! posted:

No we gotta beat the Niners so we can make the Super Bowl

That and so many fans of other teams would lose their loving minds.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Odds are out:

Ravens favored by 9.5 over the Texans.

49ers favored by 10 over the Packers

Lions -6 over Tampa.

Bills -2.5 over the Chiefs.

Packers get no respect lol.

I get it though. Only way they can win is a shootout because they won't be able to stop the 49ers offense.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
Congrats on your NFC Championship appearance Lions. I'm sorry the Eagles couldn't give you a chance at revenge on Patricia, but at least you're living well

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

This thread will explode if it's Love vs Mayfield in the NFC Championship game.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The Detroit Football Lions can beat any of the remaining NFC teams, granted the 9ers only in an OK Corral level shootout.

But what really matters is they can build on this. There is no crop of free agents about to leave, no dearth of draft picks because they traded them all away for a championship. For the first time in my life the Lions truly can market themselves as a team that is a contender. Free agents will actually want to play here, and we can continue to draft good players. The defense can be addressed, and the O line and WRs can get some depth. Laporta, Gibbs, Montgomery, and Sun God are drat near good enough on their own, but 1 injury and we are in a tough spot. Hopefully they can protect Johnson, but losing Glenn is not some huge change cause I do not think anyone who watched all year can say no one else could replicate his results.

We are playing with house money right now, and there is no end to this that is a negative.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
They're losing Ben Johnson. This is part of being a good team in a copycat league. Hell, McVay can't hold onto an OC for more than 5 minutes. Just have to believe that they're developing a replacement from within or can find a new one. Tanner Engstrand sounds like he might be that guy.

Or Sheila can just make him the highest paid OC in the league. That'd be cool too.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Malaria posted:

Odds are out:

Ravens favored by 9.5 over the Texans.

49ers favored by 10 over the Packers

Lions -6 over Tampa.

Bills -2.5 over the Chiefs.

Packers get no respect lol.

I get it though. Only way they can win is a shootout because they won't be able to stop the 49ers offense.

Money line is +365 so that wouldn't be a bad emotional insurance policy for me :thunk:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/LilySZhao/status/1746985228038537286

I love this team the vibes are impeccable

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I also go hard for Aaron Jones...

Folks seem to be forgetting what happened the last time the Packers met an NFCN team in the NFC Championship Game!

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Folks seem to be forgetting what happened the last time the Packers met an NFCN team in the NFC Championship Game!

If the Packers go all the way, they

• win the playoffs as the last seed
  • utterly humiliated a dome team in their own house
  • beat a team with an excellent head coach but lacking SB succes
  • beat another NFC North team with a traded QB from a West division in his second stint
  • beat an AFC North team in the SB

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Not going to lie, but this team is so much better without Aaron on it. We have an identity.

E: Word Choice

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c57ewQ84FM

Mina Kimes saying nice things about our defense fills my brain with the happy chemicals.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

MJeff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c57ewQ84FM

Mina Kimes saying nice things about our defense fills my brain with the happy chemicals.

Mina is one of a select few analysts that actually eats, sleeps, and breathes ball.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I promise you, no one in this thread forgot smokin jay cutler riding a bike on the sideline in a championship game. All we had to do was beat the pack in week 17. :bang:

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Man, if the bears made the superbowl in 2010, i woulda yolo'd my credit card(s) and gone. That SB was in dallas, so i wouldnt have had any travel expenses.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Going to a Super Bowl seems like it would be a pretty terrible experience but also something a football fan should try to do exactly once in their lives.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i'd have to bring my posting laptop cuz ya know *Gestures*

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

ZombieCrew posted:

Man, if the bears made the superbowl in 2010, i woulda yolo'd my credit card(s) and gone. That SB was in dallas, so i wouldnt have had any travel expenses.

I basically did this; but because it was the opening of JerryWorld and they had to close off so many seats, the secondary ticket market was hosed. Spent from 7am to kickoff circling the stadium trying to find tickets that weren't insanely marked up.

I'll never forget an hour before kickoff we ran into these women we'd talked to earlier in the day who said "we just spent $10,000 for two bad seats. How hosed."

I'd imagine they left with no regrets.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The Detroit Football Lions can beat any of the remaining NFC teams, granted the 9ers only in an OK Corral level shootout.

But what really matters is they can build on this. There is no crop of free agents about to leave, no dearth of draft picks because they traded them all away for a championship. For the first time in my life the Lions truly can market themselves as a team that is a contender. Free agents will actually want to play here, and we can continue to draft good players. The defense can be addressed, and the O line and WRs can get some depth. Laporta, Gibbs, Montgomery, and Sun God are drat near good enough on their own, but 1 injury and we are in a tough spot. Hopefully they can protect Johnson, but losing Glenn is not some huge change cause I do not think anyone who watched all year can say no one else could replicate his results.

We are playing with house money right now, and there is no end to this that is a negative.

I’m trying not to think about the off-season while this play-off experience is rumbling on, but yeah, I am excited to see what the team does.

I think the Lions are absolutely ready to “go for it” in terms of free agency. And I don’t mean just handing out dumb contracts to the highest profile players. I think we can be aggressive, but I also trust this FO to be smart in adding to what the team really needs. I don’t think the Lions are going to be going for those blockbuster deals either in free agency or trade deadlines etc, but I do think we’ll make some moves and maybe a splash or two.

What’s exciting is that you can point to multiple players on this team who we still haven’t seen at their peak yet. I think Jack Campbell only continues to improve from here, and I’m still backing Jamo to really break out yet. If we can get an uninterrupted training camp, pre-season and 17+ season out of him, I think he’ll fly. And as for Gibbs.. no ceiling on that dude.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I do not think I'd ever forgive myself if I spent Superbowl money and my team got blown out. I can't imagine how id feel being thousands in the hole going back to my $500/night holiday inn express after a terrible loss.

Meanwhile I'd be just as overjoyed with a victory hanging out with family and friends watching the game at a bar or someone house.

I went to Dallas when WMU played Wisconsin in the Cotton bowl, but we knew going in it was a likely loss and we were there for New Years Eve as well. Even then I felt like I overspent for what I was getting.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah I would only ever drop the money for a Super Bowl if I was fine with either result, like a Chiefs/49ers or something. Just go for the experience of saying you went to one.

Having to get out of that madhouse of a stadium, then go to the hotel and pack, then get up early to go through security and do all the airport stuff, then sit on a plane, then wait for your bag at the carousel, then drive home AFTER your team lost? Holy poo poo.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MJeff posted:

Yeah I would only ever drop the money for a Super Bowl if I was fine with either result, like a Chiefs/49ers or something. Just go for the experience of saying you went to one.

Having to get out of that madhouse of a stadium, then go to the hotel and pack, then get up early to go through security and do all the airport stuff, then sit on a plane, then wait for your bag at the carousel, then drive home AFTER your team lost? Holy poo poo.

If I ever went to the Superbowl, I would definitely not plan to fly out the next day. If my team won, I'd probably be too hungover to crawl out of bed for about 24 hours. I was certainly in rough shape when the Cubs won, and I stayed in Chicago.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Bird in a Blender posted:

If I ever went to the Superbowl, I would definitely not plan to fly out the next day. If my team won, I'd probably be too hungover to crawl out of bed for about 24 hours. I was certainly in rough shape when the Cubs won, and I stayed in Chicago.

Fair but that's also another night at the hotel, food, etc. Tacking on another grand to the trip AFTER your team has lost bites in it's own way too.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It just feels like so much risk with a reward of marginal benefit. Of course it would be cool as hell to see the lions win it all in person, but I'd be high fiving what, like 2 other people I know? Maybe 3?

Compared to being in a packed bar or a full house party for the game with everyone I know sharing in either the misery or the joy, for me it's a easy answer.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I remember a story about how some people won tickets to the SB in Dallas, and their seats were below field level - like all they could see was the players' feet.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm very glad I didn't max out my credit cards and go to the Super Bowl in 2007 - get caught in a monsoon, and watch the Bears lose embarrassingly in Miami.

The sad fact is that NFL football is often a better product on TV than it is in person.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Replays alone are much better for the viewing experience. They don’t put nearly as much on the Jumbotrons

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

I'll be honest, going to the victory parade seems like it'd be the most fun you could have around Super Bowl-aligned events.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

GUESS WHO GOT FREE TICKETS FOR THE GAME FOLKS

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My grandpa was a season ticket holder from the Wrigley days until maybe 2008 or so, some time after the renovations.

He sold his Superbowl tickets in '85 for a relatively modest amount, assured they'd be back many times in the years to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Mike N Eich posted:

I'm very glad I didn't max out my credit cards and go to the Super Bowl in 2007 - get caught in a monsoon, and watch the Bears lose embarrassingly in Miami.

The sad fact is that NFL football is often a better product on TV than it is in person.

yea, this.

i've never been to a professional football game, and i have no desire to. the conditions are usually miserable, the fans are unrulier than they would be at your local bar or friend's place, the prices are unreal, parking...ugh, you can't get all of the realtime stats and replays, sometimes the commentary is good on tv, so forth and so on.

i'd probably go if i got free tickets or something, just to see what it's like. but on its face, the whole idea is incredibly off-putting.