Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'd sooner pay $50 for PoP than anything else ubisoft makes, if not for the fact that it'll certainly be $20 or less within the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i subscribed for ubi+ for this and i was like "oh huh i wonder what else is coming up on this service" and the only other announced new addition is loving skull & bones in a month lmao

they haven't even added any interesting indies or anything, it's just like a tiny number of games that are all also on game pass

Motto posted:

I'd sooner pay $50 for PoP than anything else ubisoft makes, if not for the fact that it'll certainly be $20 or less within the year

figure i do the ubi+ month for $15 to play it now, then i'll pick it up in a year or two when it finally makes its way to steam, maybe with some bonus content or something

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

Then I saw that PoP The Lost Crown wasn't releasing on Steam and it has a $60 price tag.

Prince oof Persia

e: PooP

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

i subscribed for ubi+ for this and i was like "oh huh i wonder what else is coming up on this service" and the only other announced new addition is loving skull & bones in a month lmao

they haven't even added any interesting indies or anything, it's just like a tiny number of games that are all also on game pass

I mean, yeah, the flipside is also they've literally got nothing else going for them in the prestige games bucket, while Microsoft just pumps them out constantly on gamepass

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

PoP is apparently by the same ubi studio that made rayman origins/legends, which fits since those were also games that reviewed really well but nobody wanted to pay for

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Waffleman_ posted:

no, that's cruis'n USA

CRUSIN~~~NNN

usa

YEAH

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ubisoft more like U Be a Hard Sell with prices like this

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I loaded up fire emblem engage (goty thread convinced me) and played through several tutorial fights. I got some early thoughts that are too precious to keep to myself:
- I understand this is a game for children/babies but the characterization is so boring, everyone I’ve encountered so far is very lame
- I’ve only played Three Houses before this, so, I am very glad that this protagonist talks. But why let the player select their name? One minor thing bg3 does that I like is, your character’s name only appears in your own dialogue (which is unvoiced), so there’s no “Pleased to meet you, [voiced dialogue ends here] J-Dawg” from npcs
- someone needs to tell fantasy writers that 1000 years is a very very long time, you don’t just throw that number out willynilly

Some quick Q’s:
- does it have a rewind feature? If not I’m going to restart on Casual mode (no permadeaths)
- how hard is maddening? Too tough for a first blind playthrough?
Thx!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i feel like this is a good place to ask, because i don't trust the search function here: are there any threads about people building their own games?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Jay Rust posted:

I loaded up fire emblem engage (goty thread convinced me) and played through several tutorial fights. I got some early thoughts that are too precious to keep to myself:
- I understand this is a game for children/babies but the characterization is so boring, everyone I’ve encountered so far is very lame
- I’ve only played Three Houses before this, so, I am very glad that this protagonist talks. But why let the player select their name? One minor thing bg3 does that I like is, your character’s name only appears in your own dialogue (which is unvoiced), so there’s no “Pleased to meet you, [voiced dialogue ends here] J-Dawg” from npcs
- someone needs to tell fantasy writers that 1000 years is a very very long time, you don’t just throw that number out willynilly

Some quick Q’s:
- does it have a rewind feature? If not I’m going to restart on Casual mode (no permadeaths)
- how hard is maddening? Too tough for a first blind playthrough?
Thx!

There is a rewind and I would strongly recommend not playing on maddening for a first playthrough. Engage isn't that hard overall but maddening, from what I recall, just bumps up enemy stats a fair bit and doesn't do anything like change up enemy skills, etc.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

cash crab posted:

i feel like this is a good place to ask, because i don't trust the search function here: are there any threads about people building their own games?

I think this is the one you're looking for: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506853 ?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

new locomalito game :yum: https://locomalito.com/toxic-tomb.php

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

figure i do the ubi+ month for $15 to play it now, then i'll pick it up in a year or two when it finally makes its way to steam, maybe with some bonus content or something

This is what i've been doing, is just subscribing to UBI+ for a month whenever they release a game that I am interested in. For Skull & Bones, I am going to wait for that one though to be really cheap and for UBISoft to be finished with updates for it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I've heard 9 Years of Shadow is a good metroidvania and that's $13

I do hate thinking about games through the lens of the money-value nexus but when it comes to metroidvanias I do see how one might see them as all being rather interchangeable so spending 3-4 times more on one might seem a rip-off even if it has higher production values

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Volte posted:

the rentals aren't actually free

I agree rental is a much less ambitious term for these kinds of services.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Volte posted:

Nobody says they watched a show for free on Netflix mainly because nobody ever talks about owning or paying for a show in the first place. But if someone said "did you pay to watch that movie" they might reasonably say "no, it was on Netflix" and everyone would know what they meant. Game Pass and other subscription services are essentially a monthly subscription to unlimited free rentals. I grew up mostly playing games and watching movies through very limited, very costly rentals. A $12/mo subscription to unlimited free rentals would have been an insane deal and nobody would have been complaining about how the rentals aren't actually free because you don't own the game and you have to agree to give it back with 30 days notice. They might say it's a lovely deal and that you shouldn't pay for it, but they wouldn't be quibbling about the definition of what free is.

My subscription to Gamefly means that based on how long I kept it out, I spent $127.52 for Fire Emblem Three Hopes and $97.88 for Resident Evil 4 Remake

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I said come in! posted:

This is what i've been doing, is just subscribing to UBI+ for a month whenever they release a game that I am interested in. For Skull & Bones, I am going to wait for that one though to be really cheap and for UBISoft to be finished with updates for it.

This is how I treat Microsoft first party too, and Prince Of Persia is guaranteed to be on either Game Pass or PS+ or both by the summer.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Retroid Pocket 4 has shipped, so it's time to knuckle down and figure out what games to put on it.

I blame this thread for talking about this abomination, which is definitely being played.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1DE0RpQMLI

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Retroid Pocket 4 has shipped, so it's time to knuckle down and figure out what games to put on it.

I blame this thread for talking about this abomination, which is definitely being played.

that intro is loving sick as hell

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
engage maddening is sick as hell but it's best experienced once you understand the game's foibles and systems, imo

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

abraham linksys posted:

in 2024 your metroidvania options are

(1) $50+ from a major developer, which will get a bunch of complaints and not sell well enough to justify an immediate sequel (metroid dread, prince of persia)
Metroid Dread was the best selling Metroid game ever, though? "Immediate" sequels don't automatically happen when a game sells well. Breath of the Wild was the most insane hit ever (31 million units) and the sequel was built off of its map and still took 6 years to make. GTA 5 made billions and GTA 6 is going to be over a decade later.

If anything, immediate sequels happen when a game does poorly because the studio has to prove it can do better. See every Call of Duty for the past decade. :v:

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 16, 2024

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Thought I softlocked PoP, but no it's almost a pixel perfect jump you need to do to escape a pit.

It's alright so far. 54% @ 14 hours in. Not going to set your world on fire or anything, but it's feeling like a 7-8/10 depending on how well they stick the landing.
Bunch of systems feel a bit disjointed and it feels like it really struggles in places between finding it's own identity vs wholesale copying Hollow Knight in a PoP skin.

The world lores suffered a bit of a hit as Ubisoft has elected to go the Tell Don't Show route by stuffing all the world building in a bunch of text on collectibles.

I will say the platform difficulty has started to spike a hell of a lot once you start opening up the bulk of your moveset. Some Celeste don't-touch-the-ground stuff for optional treasures and the like.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Infinitum posted:

Rising Zan owns what the gently caress

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Obviously I hate the concept, which is why I said I was loading it up :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rising Zan is a game that was a generation ahead of its time.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Rising Zan is a game that was a generation ahead of its time.

Some guy wearing a red jacket that uses a sword and a gun?

It'll never work!

Gane is deffo PS1 3D clunky but I was charmed enough to see it through when I played it on an emulator like a decade ago

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Sakurazuka posted:

Gonna buy the new PoP on Thursday

Im thinking about it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
waiting impatiently from the God is a Geek review

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You kiddin? GodIsAGeek is just PoP dot com now

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1747258821712699435?s=20

Kiryuuuuuu

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'm assuming they're talking about something similar to what blizzard was experimenting with where they've got an automatic texture generator that's been fed data from their house style

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

wasn't listed on metacritic :shrug:

In all seriousness Eurogamer gave it 4/5 which is good enough for me. Gonna find some crown on Thursday

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ordered the cart of PoP on Switch and am just gonna sell it after I'm done

Is there a better place to unload carts than ebay ATM?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Just a reminder that in less than 2 hours, Peanut Butter will make his debut on Awesome Games Done Quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvShUE5zIXE

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Does AGDQ have an Awful Block this year?

haveblue posted:

wasn't listed on metacritic :shrug:

In all seriousness Eurogamer gave it 4/5 which is good enough for me. Gonna find some crown on Thursday

Starts a bit slow, but once things get going it's been pretty solid.

Vermain posted:

i'm assuming they're talking about something similar to what blizzard was experimenting with where they've got an automatic texture generator that's been fed data from their house style

Internally trained datasets are technically cool and good, but I'm not sure I trust corps to pay artists properly out of them.

Unfortunately the article states that they just used midjourney to create fake album covers for the ingame music.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Prince looks like Nacho

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Infinitum posted:

Does AGDQ have an Awful Block this year?

It does, early Thursday starting with Beetlejuice.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lol

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ordered the cart of PoP on Switch and am just gonna sell it after I'm done

Is there a better place to unload carts than ebay ATM?

SA Mart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Attack on Princess posted:

It does, early Thursday starting with Beetlejuice.

Hell yeah. Always a fun block.

Edit: 'Skull Island: Rise of Kong' is being run!
https://i.imgur.com/io0Fkyj.mp4

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 16, 2024