Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

McFrugal posted:

I recently tried Mudrunner and it seemed a little... I don't know, one-note? Is Snowrunner more interesting?

I would say it has more of everything and is generally more of an actual game than a tech demo, with missions, progression, upgrades and stuff. But the fundamental gameplay is pretty much always drive truck from A to B and back to A, trying not to lose cargo. It's good driving though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Genpei Turtle posted:

Talos Principle is so, so much better than The Witness it’s not even close. At least in my opinion. I played The Witness second and was thoroughly let down by it—it felt to me like a cheap attempt to replicate TTP and failed. I’m not sure I would have felt that way if I had played it first.

the talos principle is like if the witness was actually good

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I'll never understand why it became so popular to poo poo on The Witness. The game is good. My only complaint with it is that it makes me nauseous, but even then the game is compelling enough that I pushed through the nausea to complete it, though it has prevented me from replaying.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

moosferatu posted:

I'll never understand why it became so popular to poo poo on The Witness. The game is good. My only complaint with it is that it makes me nauseous, but even then the game is compelling enough that I pushed through the nausea to complete it, though it has prevented me from replaying.

Jonathan Blow is a massive idiot

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Hwurmp posted:

Jonathan Blow is a massive idiot

Which is irrelevant to the quality of the game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

your reward for solving the hidden puzzles is Jonathan Blow talking at you for many minutes

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
more like Jonathan Blows chunks

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
This is why people should play video games instead of reading twitter.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

moosferatu posted:

Honestly? Pretentiousness aside, it’s because it feels like it ought to be a casual mobile game. The core gameplay is very shallow. Draw a line the correct way on a grid, over and over and over. It’s fun for a little bit as you try to figure out the “rules” and then gets boring and repetitive. At least for me that’s how it felt.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

FutureCop posted:

I second the recommendation for Gravity Circuit: I'm currently playing it and it's a fantastic Megaman Zero-ish game where you can punch the heck outta robos and then pick up their corpses to chuck into other robos, as well as delivering flashy special moves and dashing/grappling around.
I'm really enjoying this game, my only major complaint is that having a really short ranged melee attack and short boss tells makes the boss fights worse. It often feels like I'm kind of brute forcing/cheesing my way through the fights, because getting in close enough to attack means I can't reasonably avoid a lot of the attacks that the bosses throw out.

In contrast, Hollow Knight boss fights were broadly similar, but your nail has significantly more range and the boss tells are a bit longer, so it feels more fair when you get hit, even though the game can still be very challenging at times.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I bounced off the Witness the first time after getting bored by the perceived sameyness and getting blocked by puzzles for which I couldn't figure out the rules (because I had found those late puzzles before finding the areas teaching you the various bits they mix...). But went back to it a year or two later and ended up doing it all (well, apart from black obelisks, just did a couple iirc) because it suddenly clicked. I guess my main issue originally was that I first expected some kind of Myst/Talos hybrid and well, it's something else. I still worship Talos as one of the best puzzle games ever made, but thought Witness was a lot of fun. Didn't care for the weird videos, mind.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jonathan Blow seems like a dipshit but in the kind of way that's impossible for me to really care about.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
he’s made a couple decent enough games but they don’t warrant his unbelievably grating arrogance, he’s not nearly as smart as he thinks he is

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Cicero posted:

I'm really enjoying this game, my only major complaint is that having a really short ranged melee attack and short boss tells makes the boss fights worse. It often feels like I'm kind of brute forcing/cheesing my way through the fights, because getting in close enough to attack means I can't reasonably avoid a lot of the attacks that the bosses throw out.

In contrast, Hollow Knight boss fights were broadly similar, but your nail has significantly more range and the boss tells are a bit longer, so it feels more fair when you get hit, even though the game can still be very challenging at times.

If it helps, I was having this exact same issue at first, but then I realized, oh yeah, I can use my grappling hook as a psuedo-buster long ranged attack! It's very easy to forget that the hook is an attack as well, not just a traversal tool: basically it's a slower, safer, long-range attack, whereas your fists are a faster, riskier short-range attack. It's like deciding when to use your sword or buster in MMZ. Now when I fight bosses, I usually tackle them with hook at first, but as I get comfortable on replays, I look for gaps to get big damage with my fists.

Also, you should be able to purchase, similar to Hollow Knight, a chip that makes your fists travel further, to increase the safety. Yes, it can kind of feel like they contrived inconvenience to force an upgrade, but eh.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ohhyeah posted:

What can I play that’s like The Witness? Or how can I erase my brain to play The Witness again? Does the Talos Principle come anywhere close?

Coming out in a few months is Islands of Insight which is The Witness if it was an MMO. I had a great time playing the beta.

A short 2d Witness like is Linelith. A lot of line tracing with a few unexpected surprises and twists.

Lingo is The Witness but for words. Not as polished an experience as anything mentioned before but well worth playing and highly thought of.

KNR
May 3, 2009
From what I played of the beta, Islands of Insight felt more like The Witness if it was a Ubisoft game. I enjoyed a decent fraction of the puzzles, but so much about the game seemed to be trying its best to repulse me.

Seconding the Linelith recommendation though, even if it's as tiny as the price suggests.

Also semi-seriously seconding The Looker. Not every joke lands but I loved The Witness and I think it's genuinely a good parody. Plus Blow hates it, which makes it funnier.

The Talos Principle is great, but imo it's a very different sort of puzzle game to actually play. The witness is all about discovering its rules, TTP is about methodically exploring the state space you can reach with the tools available (and then realizing you weren't as throughout as you thought).

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
The Looker is a fun parody of The Witness but it's not really an actual game. I always find it strange when people recommend someone play that instead of The Witness. Still, hearing that Blow hates it does make me like it a bit more...

The Witness and The Talos Principle are both excellent games that scratch a similar "solve puzzles in a beautiful environment that actively encourages exploring" itch and both are heads and shoulders above any other game of their ilk.

There are loads of cheap knockoffs but none are very satisfying. I recently played through Puzzle Park which is like a styrofoam knockoff of The Witness and I'm not even sure why I bothered to finish it.

As a side suggestion, Superliminal is a bit of fun. It's more of a Portal-like than a Witness clone but I had loads of fun trying to constantly find ways to get out of bounds and explore dark corners of the roof, which the game often rewards you for doing.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 11, 2024

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

ohhyeah posted:

What can I play that’s like The Witness? Or how can I erase my brain to play The Witness again? Does the Talos Principle come anywhere close?

You might also like Tunic. It looks like a Zelda but it is in fact a large scale open world puzzle game where the main puzzle is figuring out how to play. Has a LOT of similar "a-ha!" moments.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Thanks for all the recommendations. Glad to hear Talos Principle is up to snuff. I’m intrigued by Tunic, part of what I like about the Witness was that Myst-esque sense of exploration.

I really wanted to like Superliminal but it gave me a headache.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The sense of discovery in Tunic is so good. There was an interview with the creator where he said he was inspired by "the very first time you ever saw you could walk on top of the ceiling on Super Mario level 1-2 and found three warp tubes leading to unknown worlds" and yeah, thats totally the vibe. Constantly.

The combat sucks tho. There's an easy mode now. Worth it!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSXofLK5hFQ

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Currently playing through the Talos principle and having a lot of fun. The regular puzzles are really well done and I usually get them after a few tries max. The meta puzzles to get the stars make you feel like an absolute genius when you figure them out but there are a lot I haven't managed to get and it's kinda driving me nuts but in a good way.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
Variations of this recommendation request have probably been made a million times, but I love Norco, love Disco Elysium, love True Detective.....any good games that hit that existential, magical-realism noiry vibe?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Simiain posted:

Variations of this recommendation request have probably been made a million times, but I love Norco, love Disco Elysium, love True Detective.....any good games that hit that existential, magical-realism noiry vibe?

Citizen Sleeper. It's fully Sci fi, but definitely captures similar vibes to DE.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Simiain posted:

Kentucky Road Zero?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Simiain posted:

The Talos Principle I+II are not noir, but are existential as gently caress

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Simiain posted:

Sleeping dogs has some a lot of this. A bunch of the story is about figuring out the meaning of it all and the nature of the main character. Lots of gritty noiry type stuff

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Simiain posted:

2nding Kentucky Route Zero (which was very influential to Norco)

Have you played the original existential magical realist game Night in The Woods?

PENTIMENT, PENTIMENT, PENTIMENT!

Way more noiry and existential than might appear at first sight.

and Scarlet Hollow might tick some boxes for you

There's also Genesis Noir

Persona 5?

Immortality if you're kinky

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 16, 2024

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Hey folks! So anyone got a game that would be good for a group of up to 5 at times (with varying amounts playing, rarely the full five) that has the following from my buddy:

"can play with a variable number of us at once, doesn't have a progression that causes problems of some of us falling behind or getting too far ahead, and has a massive amount of replayability"

Our old game for this was League of Legends, we've tried Barotrauma that three of us loved but the other two hated with a passion, and we're not super looking for another competitive game.

The big thing is making sure no one feels bad if the others play without them because work schedules are hard.

Games that we've played and loved in the past:

League of Legends
7 Days to Die (we may try again with the latest update, we stopped like a year ago)

Things that we've looked at:
Project Zomboid (myself and another are kind of iffy on this)
Raft
Valheim
Lethal Company

Anyone got any suggestions?

Galick fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 16, 2024

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
has anybody made a Stardew Valley in space? I will also accept Caesar 3 in space. do not say ixion.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jinnigan posted:

has anybody made a Stardew Valley in space? I will also accept Caesar 3 in space. do not say ixion.

Rimworld, kinda? Slightly different perspective on events but everytbing down to the farming and relationships is there

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Galick posted:

Hey folks! So anyone got a game that would be good for a group of up to 5 at times (with varying amounts playing, rarely the full five) that has the following from my buddy:

"can play with a variable number of us at once, doesn't have a progression that causes problems of some of us falling behind or getting too far ahead, and has a massive amount of replayability"

Our old game for this was League of Legends, we've tried Barotrauma that three of us loved but the other two hated with a passion, and we're not super looking for another competitive game.

The big thing is making sure no one feels bad if the others play without them because work schedules are hard.

Games that we've played and loved in the past:

League of Legends
7 Days to Die (we may try again with the latest update, we stopped like a year ago)

Things that we've looked at:
Project Zomboid (myself and another are kind of iffy on this)
Raft
Valheim
Lethal Company

Anyone got any suggestions?

Factorio's multiplayer mode? You can have it so everyone shares tech tree progress, and it's easy to just chill for a few hours tweaking parts of the factory if you don't feel like pushing progression. And it's replayable as hell

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Jinnigan posted:

One Lonely Outpost is that, but has mixed steam reviews.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Jinnigan posted:

has anybody made a Stardew Valley in space?

Not quite that, but depending on what aspects you're after, Starbound has the cute pixel art, the spaceship is your house, you can farm on planets (and build whatever else you like), get NPCs to live with you aboard the ship, and general exploration/combat would be akin to the mine and desert dungeon.

But then, I'm one of the ~3 people worldwide who seem to have enjoyed it so take that with a grain of salt...

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Valheim is a good choice. If only one or two of my group had free time, we’d spend it building cool poo poo, farming, or go on a little expedition looking for crafting materials.

When we were all together, it was time to take the longboat and go mining in dangerous biomes or kill bosses.

Re: progression: when I was behind in gear and missing a boss, we were able to gather the mats and KO the big bad in short order. Goes pretty quickly if the rest have zone-appropriate gear

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 16, 2024

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

FishMcCool posted:

Not quite that, but depending on what aspects you're after, Starbound has the cute pixel art, the spaceship is your house, you can farm on planets (and build whatever else you like), get NPCs to live with you aboard the ship, and general exploration/combat would be akin to the mine and desert dungeon.

But then, I'm one of the ~3 people worldwide who seem to have enjoyed it so take that with a grain of salt...

I really enjoyed Starbound and have the playtime to prove it, but it performed terribly and every update seemed to add more unfun things, so I eventually dropped it. One thing I really liked was the huge amount of decorations and building materials - even as a pixellated sidescroller you had a lot of freedom building a nice-looking base. There's also a lot of care put into the world building despite it being a fairly silly take on space travel - like, I'm not a huge fan of the alien races being "human culture but they're animals/robots/whatever", but they each have their own literature, their own crops, their own recipes, once you gather enough you can make some intergalactic fusion cuisine, etc. It's nice!
But yeah definitely check the negatives before you consider getting it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jinnigan posted:

Stardew Valley in space was the mission goal of Yahtzee Croshaw's "Starstruck Vagabond" game, but that never left alpha. Sunshine Heavy Industries has a cool chill vibe, but it's not really got the type of gameplay and relationship building you'd be looking for. Astroneers has fun space exploration gathering resources, but zero npcs or writing, and I guess there's a lot of games out there like that.

For citybuilding games out in space, there's Startopia (which has cute writing) and there's like Surviving Mars, and not much else. There's things like Oxygen Not Included, but it's more about engineering and managing more details. Same goes for the multitude of games about rebuilding and maintaining colony ships out in deep space (some are reportedly okay, most are indefinitely unfinished. Ask in the management games thread for details.)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Startopia is great, AND it has farming.
The original version is better by the way.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
Thanks for the ideas!

Citizen Sleeper - I started this game immediately after I beat Norco because its on Gamepass and seemed to be in all of the same conversations, but I bounced off it. Completely unfair but it seemed too anime and too visual novelly at the time, I absolutely should give it another go though, it seems to hit all of my thematic buttons otherwise and I'm swinging back toward PC gaming from a period of XBox couch-gaming

Kentucky Route Zero - Was also on Gamepass at the time, so I gave it a go and made it so far before bouncing off of it. Another one I should perhaps dip my toe back into.

Talos Principle II - Currently slowly working my way through this, I love the theme but also the friendly, affable tone of the game. No overt peril or antagonism or animosity (so far) just amiably exploring philosophical questions and gently brain-teasing puzzles with cool robots who are all in this together.

Pentiment - Beat this game and loved it. Have had it installed for a while as I meant to replay it over Xmas.

Night in the Woods - I HAVENT tried, I'll look into getting it. I have Oxenfree as well which I mean to get to.

Scarlet Hollow - DEFINITELY seems interesting, so I'll seek that out when I get home too.

Apologies if my response is a little 'yep, played it', I truly appreciate the thoughtful responses. Another game that I beat and that inspired me to post here is Hob's Barrow. In all honesty, the art and themes and vibe of Norco and Hobs Barrow are what I'm really looking for. Just such beautiful games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Simiain posted:

Thanks for the ideas!

Citizen Sleeper - I started this game immediately after I beat Norco because its on Gamepass and seemed to be in all of the same conversations, but I bounced off it. Completely unfair but it seemed too anime and too visual novelly at the time, I absolutely should give it another go though, it seems to hit all of my thematic buttons otherwise and I'm swinging back toward PC gaming from a period of XBox couch-gaming

Kentucky Route Zero - Was also on Gamepass at the time, so I gave it a go and made it so far before bouncing off of it. Another one I should perhaps dip my toe back into.

Talos Principle II - Currently slowly working my way through this, I love the theme but also the friendly, affable tone of the game. No overt peril or antagonism or animosity (so far) just amiably exploring philosophical questions and gently brain-teasing puzzles with cool robots who are all in this together.

Pentiment - Beat this game and loved it. Have had it installed for a while as I meant to replay it over Xmas.

Night in the Woods - I HAVENT tried, I'll look into getting it. I have Oxenfree as well which I mean to get to.

Scarlet Hollow - DEFINITELY seems interesting, so I'll seek that out when I get home too.

Apologies if my response is a little 'yep, played it', I truly appreciate the thoughtful responses. Another game that I beat and that inspired me to post here is Hob's Barrow. In all honesty, the art and themes and vibe of Norco and Hobs Barrow are what I'm really looking for. Just such beautiful games.

Grim Fandango might also hit the magical-realism noir mark, as long as you don't mind adventure game puzzle logic