Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Benne posted:

McCarthy is just Stetson Bennett with a yoga routine

This is massively unfair to Stetson because he had actual sideline throws on tape his final year, but I 150% will agree that him 4 inches taller would be talked about the way McCarthy is. It’s not a coincidence that they basically ran the Monken MoF packages this year from the first Georgia title, John literally hired him because the entire scheme is the only way they found to beat both modern nickel looks and the mint front in the same offense and Jim just stole it because it kicked his rear end prior. JJ literally does not have nfl layer or sideline throws on tape because he never threw them outside of busts or trick plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Caleb officially in. Are there any other prospects of note who haven't declared one way or another yet?

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1746978532503244820

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

xbilkis posted:

Caleb officially in. Are there any other prospects of note who haven't declared one way or another yet?

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1746978532503244820

I think everyone who needs to be in is in. On to the Senior Bowl!

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Gonna be some HUGE qb busts this draft, can’t wait to go Buck Nasty and playa hate next season.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Gonna be some HUGE qb busts this draft, can’t wait to go Buck Nasty and playa hate next season.

the player drafted by the bears has already busted

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Cam Ward btw decided at the last moment that he was not in fact going into the draft so he's at Miami for this year.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Cam Ward btw decided at the last moment that he was not in fact going into the draft so he's at Miami for this year.

Miami is not the place to get developed for the next level, with Cristobal running the boat. Godspeed to him.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Coward

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

can't miss with a usc quarterback

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

shyduck posted:

I don't know if the curse remains since Riley is the QB coach now.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1746988796921487781?s=20

Caleb.....

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He has a fixed contract and is the #1 or #2 pick. He's fine.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Does he need an agent for now? Isn't first round rookie deal just a sign here type thing where everything is spelled out and the numbers are locked in? He should definitely get an agent afterwards but why give an agent a cut of a contract they requires no negotiation?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

pseudodragon posted:

Does he need an agent for now? Isn't first round rookie deal just a sign here type thing where everything is spelled out and the numbers are locked in? He should definitely get an agent afterwards but why give an agent a cut of a contract they requires no negotiation?

There are differences in guaranteed amounts and other language that can go into the contract as well, even if the dollar amount is fixed. The primary use of an agent for a rookie is to keep him up at the top of the draft lists, basically as a marketing agent. Also as a PR manager for any stories that come out prior to the draft (whether it's an old lovely tweet, or a poor performance at a pro day/combine, etc). Whether or not that has an effect in the end this year, who knows.

To put it another way, an agent's maximum commission for NFL contracts is 3%. On the #1 draft spot contract, thats about $1.14 million to the agent. If you are drafted #2 instead of #1, you lose about $1.7 million in contract value.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 15, 2024

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The first few millions matter a lot more than the 75th or 400th million. Can't blame him for trying to secure as much of that as possible.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I gotta think a good agent will have endorsements etc that are going to outstrip that 5% you pay them, but who knows maybe he has something else in place.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
he should 100% hire an agent if only to get more sponsorship deals.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

David Mulugheta is probably salivating somewhere.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

The first few millions matter a lot more than the 75th or 400th million. Can't blame him for trying to secure as much of that as possible.

He had NIL money if Caleb isn't already a millionaire it's not because he didn't have the opportunity

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Gully Foyle posted:

There are differences in guaranteed amounts and other language that can go into the contract as well, even if the dollar amount is fixed. The primary use of an agent for a rookie is to keep him up at the top of the draft lists, basically as a marketing agent. Also as a PR manager for any stories that come out prior to the draft (whether it's an old lovely tweet, or a poor performance at a pro day/combine, etc). Whether or not that has an effect in the end this year, who knows.

To put it another way, an agent's maximum commission for NFL contracts is 3%. On the #1 draft spot contract, thats about $1.14 million to the agent. If you are drafted #2 instead of #1, you lose about $1.7 million in contract value.

1sr round rookie contracts are fully guaranteed. The only thing that’s up for negotiation is offset language and that’s only an issue if teams are trying to negotiate very cheap.

The other stuff matters more if you aren’t the odds on favorite to be the first pick, which Caleb has been for two years now.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

shyduck posted:

We still doing this?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

New Brugler https://theathletic.com/5203443/2024/01/16/nfl-mock-draft-2024-two-rounds-quarterbacks/

Hard to imagine Daniels making it through NE/AZ/NYG

Lol @ McCarthy

Definitely don't like the Pats doing WR/QB instead of the other way around

1. Chicago Bears (from CAR): Caleb Williams, QB, USC
The Bears’ quarterback situation will be a hot topic as we wait for general manager Ryan Poles to reveal his cards. I don’t know what he’ll do, but I can tell you what other NFL teams believe he’ll do: trade Justin Fields and draft a quarterback at No. 1. This is as much a financial decision as it is a football decision.
Williams isn’t a perfect prospect, by any means, but he is the favorite for No. 1 because of his playmaking instincts. He needs to be more consistent, but his poise and creativity are what make him special.
2. Washington Commanders: Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina
Recently hired Adam Peters has taken over all football decisions for Washington and has a chance to flip things quickly with three picks in the top 40.
Obviously, this selection will depend on what the Bears do. Will it be as simple as drafting whoever doesn’t go No. 1 between Williams and Maye? Very possible. Maye is a fantastic consolation prize and has the talent to develop into a top-10 NFL quarterback.
go-deeper
3. New England Patriots: Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State
The Patriots were cruising to the No. 2 pick until two wins in their final five games dropped them to No. 3. While that likely takes them out of contention for Williams or Maye, the Patriots still have several favorable options.
With Bill Belichick no longer with the organization, there is a level of unknown here, especially considering New England needs help in so many areas. Despite questions about who will throw him the ball, though, drafting a legitimate No. 1 target is the wise move.
4. Arizona Cardinals: Malik Nabers, WR, LSU
The Cardinals miss out on Harrison, but the gap between Harrison and Nabers is very thin. Arizona needs to become more explosive on offense, especially through the air — 53 NFL players this season had at least 10 catches of 20-plus yards and none played for the Cardinals. Nobody in college football produced more catches of 20-plus yards than Nabers (34).
5. Los Angeles Chargers: Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia
The Chargers’ draft outlook will certainly change based on upcoming GM and head coach hires. Regardless, the offense needs more firepower.
Many will scoff at tight end this high, but with his movements and pass-catching skills, Bowers is more offensive weapon than true tight end. As long as the Chargers have a plan for how to use his talent, Bowers should thrive if paired with Justin Herbert.
6. New York Giants: Rome Odunze, WR, Washington
With his size/speed profile and ability to play through contact, Odunze is a quarterback-friendly target with the tools to be a legitimate No. 1 option. The Giants haven’t had a 1,000-yard receiver since 2018, but Odunze might change that as a rookie.
I know there will be plenty of “Why not a quarterback?” questions. Though I think a player like Jayden Daniels is possible, drafting a quarterback in the top 10 is an ownership decision — and we know Giants ownership loves Daniel Jones. GM Joe Schoen has been on the road this fall to see all of the top quarterbacks, but I’ll go with the QB-friendly target as the answer to the team’s passing woes.
7. Tennessee Titans: Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame
Alt and Peter Skoronski kicking butt on the left side of the Titans’ offensive line for the next decade is an easy pitch to make. I have nothing else to add.
8. Atlanta Falcons: Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU
Arthur Smith is now the Falcons’ former head coach because he believed his scheme and (misuse of) weapons could elevate mediocre quarterback play. It is interesting to think about what Atlanta’s talented, ready-to-go roster would look like if you dropped in Daniels.
After producing a minus-12 turnover margin, you can bet that will be a point of emphasis for the Falcons. In 13 starts this season, Desmond Ridder had 12 interceptions and 12 fumbles; in 12 starts, Daniels accounted for only four interceptions and three fumbles.
9. Chicago Bears: Dallas Turner, Edge, Alabama
Half of the Bears’ fan base will be upset with me going Williams at No. 1, and the other half will be cussing me out for having three wide receivers off the board before this pick. But those are realistic scenarios.
Even with the in-season trade for Montez Sweat, Chicago will be in the market for another impact pass rusher. An ideal fit in Matt Eberflus’ scheme, Turner is a freak athlete who rushes the passer, stops the run and should continue to get better and better.
10. New York Jets: Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn State
Though his run blocking is a work in progress, Fashanu already offers pro-level pass protection because of his body control, light feet and ability to sit down versus power. His intelligence and A-plus character are the cherries on top.

11. Minnesota Vikings: Laiatu Latu, Edge, UCLA
12. Denver Broncos: Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama
13. Las Vegas Raiders: JC Latham, OT, Alabama
14. New Orleans Saints: Jared Verse, Edge, Florida State
15. Indianapolis Colts: Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson
16. Seattle Seahawks: Byron Murphy II, DT, Texas
17. Jacksonville Jaguars: Brian Thomas Jr., WR, LSU
18. Cincinnati Bengals: Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
19. Los Angeles Rams: J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan :sickos:
20. Pittsburgh Steelers: Cooper DeJean, CB, Iowa.
21. Miami Dolphins: Jackson Powers-Johnson, G/C, Oregon
22. Philadelphia Eagles: Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo
23. Houston Texans (from CLE): Taliese Fuaga, OT/G, Oregon State
24. Dallas Cowboys: Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma
25. Green Bay Packers: Troy Fautanu, OT/G, Washington
26. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
27. Arizona Cardinals (from HOU): Kingsley Suamataia, OT, BYU
28. Kansas City Chiefs: Jer’Zhan Newton, DT, Illinois
29. Buffalo Bills: Keon Coleman, WR, Florida State
30. Detroit Lions: T’Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
31. San Francisco 49ers: Graham Barton, G/C, Duke
32. Baltimore Ravens: Jordan Morgan, OT/G, Arizona

Round 2
33. Carolina Panthers: Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas
34. New England Patriots: Bo Nix, QB, Oregon

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sweat falling to the Lions is my dream!

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
I can't see the Broncos picking yet another CB in the first round

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'd much rather the Patriots draft Marvin Harrison Jr. Their offensive roster is barren, sticking the 3rd QB on that roster is just a recipe for ruining them. I'd much rather they sign a vet, build the offense and see if they can develop a day 2 QB pick into a guy that can take the job.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

1. Troy Fautanu
2a. Jaden Hicks
2b. Kalen King

I like it for the Packers. However, Fautanu will end up being an All-Pro guard. So we will see.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It feels like every year writers go "I know the Packers don't draft {position} in the first round but I'm mocking {position} to them anyway..." and then the Packers continue to not draft that position in the first round.

Like, c'mon.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

It feels like every year writers go "I know the Packers don't draft {position} in the first round but I'm mocking {position} to them anyway..." and then the Packers continue to not draft that position in the first round.

Like, c'mon.

I think this is the year we actually go tackle in the first round assuming we trade Bakh to the Jets or Titans this offseason.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I think this is the year we actually go tackle in the first round assuming we trade Bakh to the Jets or Titans this offseason.

I just don't see the need. Zach Tom shut down Parsons two days ago. Rasheed Walker has been solid. Both are young and haven't shown any injury concerns. The Packers have a looong history of finding quality OL talent in the middle rounds and developing them.

If the plan was to like move Tom to center, then yeah, go ahead and draft OT.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

I just don't see the need. Zach Tom shut down Parsons two days ago. Rasheed Walker has been solid. Both are young and haven't shown any injury concerns. The Packers have a looong history of finding quality OL talent in the middle rounds and developing them.

We do need a new center, but I feel like Tom will stay put. If anything, we draft Sedrick Van Pran or JPJ to replace Meyers.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

Also, the candidate I expect us to take in the 4th round as our future All-Pro OT is Sataoa Laumea.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Giants aren't grabbing a WR if Joe Alt is there that'd be absurd

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Doltos posted:

Giants aren't grabbing a WR if Joe Alt is there that'd be absurd

I think Alt is gone by 5 to the Chargers if they decide they don't want Brock Bowers.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I think Alt is gone by 5 to the Chargers if they decide they don't want Brock Bowers.

if Harbaugh is the Chargers coach they're 100% taking Alt

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Having 4 pass catchers going to QB needy teams instead of Jayden Daniels is some suspect valuation. Also, Bowers is going to get way overdrafted. Undersized TE that is going to end up a glorified slot receiver.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

:toot:

https://twitter.com/mzenitz/status/1747301846178312496?s=20

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Taulia is really raw but it would be extremely funny if he ended up being a better NFL QB than his brother

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Alaois posted:

Taulia is really raw but it would be extremely funny if he ended up being a better NFL QB than his brother

He is 2024's Brock Purdy. Lotta snaps, seen a lotta looks.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's Big Ten All-Time Passing Leader Taulia Tagovailoa to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Sometimes it is a crime a bad team gets good players. I would like to see MHJ fall to the Chargers to get a QB to throw to him to get awesome plays.

Otherwise you have an Atlanta situation with great players going to waste and ruining their careers.