Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caros
May 14, 2008

JohnClark posted:

I just have to be direct here I guess; she absolutely is a politician. She's elected to office, and her decisions do a great deal to determine how the lives of the people who elect her unfold. If that's not a politician, again, I don't know what is.

As for why this matters, just look at what DeSantis did to some of the DAs in Florida. A douchebag who's widely viewed as a RINO like Brian Kemp could easily look at these facts and decide he can score some points by loving with her/removing her entirely. I don't know how much Georgie law empowers him to do so, but if it does the chance that he will is much higher now.

We might be talking past each other.

Hillary doing dumb poo poo with bad optics was trouble because it ran the risk of and ultimately did, cause her to lose the election. Optics are critical in that situation because optics in that case were the entire ball game. If you lose the battle of public opinion, the underlying facts literally don't matter.

In this case the underlying facts are all that matter. She either did gently caress this up and they can prove it (in which case the public might be hosed in any number of ways) or she didn't/they can't prove it.

The fact that her public denial (such as it was) sucked rear end doesn't matter because this issue is going to be litigated, not subject to the electoral process. The judge isn't going to make his decision based on her tripping over her own rear end in a public speech, and to my knowledge no one in political office has the authority to recall her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Caros posted:

We might be talking past each other.

Hillary doing dumb poo poo with bad optics was trouble because it ran the risk of and ultimately did, cause her to lose the election. Optics are critical in that situation because optics in that case were the entire ball game. If you lose the battle of public opinion, the underlying facts literally don't matter.

In this case the underlying facts are all that matter. She either did gently caress this up and they can prove it (in which case the public might be hosed in any number of ways) or she didn't/they can't prove it.

The fact that her public denial (such as it was) sucked rear end doesn't matter because this issue is going to be litigated, not subject to the electoral process. The judge isn't going to make his decision based on her tripping over her own rear end in a public speech, and to my knowledge no one in political office has the authority to recall her.

I don't think that, even if the governor had no actual power, that political considerations wouldn't matter.

As it stands though, the governor (slightly at remove) absolutely can remove Willis.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/05/georgia-brian-kemp-bill-remove-local-prosecutors

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

JohnClark posted:

I don't think that, even if the governor had no actual power, that political considerations wouldn't matter.

As it stands though, the governor (slightly at remove) absolutely can remove Willis.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/05/georgia-brian-kemp-bill-remove-local-prosecutors
That commission isn't operating yet. In September, the commissioners voted not to begin any investigations until the Georgia Supreme Court approved the rules and procedures they had proposed, and in November, the GASC refused to rule on those proposals at all. I suppose the commissioners could change their mind on waiting for judicial approval if they wanted, but right now the commission is in a sort of limbo.

(But yes, I thought of that legislation, too.)

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Edge & Christian posted:

Kemp was full-on endorsed by Trump in 2018, but by 2022 Trump and company had spent a year calling for his resignation and/or imprisonment, and Trump jokingly endorsed Stacey Abrams over Kemp at rallies and supported Purdue trying to primary Kemp out of the gubernatorial race.
I wonder how many times Trump has come close to admitting he was wrong about something by expressing regret for ever trusting someone

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
I really hope the March trial for Trump is still going to happen. I know it's been temporarily postponed while his whole immunity thing is being looked at, but I think this could actually land him in jail. He'll probably never go to jail, but it would be nice if it was at least acknowledged.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The thing that wa always the open and shut case for trump was keeping the nuclear secrets in his bathroom so he could show them off and impress car dealership owners. They had pictures, the law is completely black and white, he admitted it and tried to make up some bullshit to justify it that was flagrantly illegal.

And loving fate tossed him a hack judge who’d already embarrassed herself for him who’s going to run out the clock so that either a. He’s back in office or b. Hes convicted on something else.

The people running these prosecutions are by and large are not up to the moment.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FizFashizzle posted:

The thing that wa always the open and shut case for trump was keeping the nuclear secrets in his bathroom so he could show them off and impress car dealership owners. They had pictures, the law is completely black and white, he admitted it and tried to make up some bullshit to justify it that was flagrantly illegal.

And loving fate tossed him a hack judge . . .

The biggest issue regarding Trump is that our national institutions are so thoroughly rotten that no one has been both willing and able to stop him.

edit: except, bizarrely and briefly, Mike Pence

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 16, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

And loving fate tossed him a hack judge who’d already embarrassed herself for him who’s going to run out the clock so that either a. He’s back in office or b. Hes convicted on something else.

It wasn't fate. She was hastily voted through in mid-November as soon as it was clear Trump lost and is the functionally only judge for the district that covers Mar-a-Lago. This is another McConnell machination.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The biggest issue regarding Trump is that our national institutions are so thoroughly rotten that no one has been both willing and able to stop him.

edit: except, bizarrely and briefly, Mike Pence

Well, there was also governors like the ones of AZ and GA who didn't do his dumb coup plot bullshit.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

FizFashizzle posted:

The people running these prosecutions are by and large are not up to the moment.

What would being up to the moment entail?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
In other news, jury selection in the latest Carroll trial starts today and we're seeing the judge make clear that he's not treating the jury trial the same way Engoron treated his bench trial:

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1747269894704595074
https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1747270123352932471
https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1747271576670851259
https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1747287374655025414

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

So is the trial for keeping classified documents essentially on hold? I shouldn't be surprised, but I guess I still held out a little bit of faith in the justice system.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

So is the trial for keeping classified documents essentially on hold? I shouldn't be surprised, but I guess I still held out a little bit of faith in the justice system.
It's not. The most recent thing that folks (mostly outside this thread) are :arzy:ing about is Cannon declining to force Trump to waive attorney client privilege based on his out of court statements yet---specifically because there are other matters still being litigated pre-trial. I still expect she'll push it in to the election or beyond, but that's also been the general timeframe similar cases take to resolve...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Cannon has done everything judicially permissible to slow walk, delay and outright impede movement on the case. It could be that Smith is trying to grind this to the point of forcing recusal but really I think he's focusing on Jan 6 first.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I know some excerpts from the Washington Post about the allegations thrown against Fani Willis were shared, but I didn't see a link to something that wasn't paywalled.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2024/01/15/fani-willis-donald-trump-prosecutor-controversy/72235662007/

Here's a full piece. Still frustrating that she hasn't responded explicitly to the comments and I hope that's not the sign of something horrible about to get unearthed.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Paracaidas posted:

In other news, jury selection in the latest Carroll trial starts today and we're seeing the judge make clear that he's not treating the jury trial the same way Engoron treated his bench trial:

That's nice. Are they going to put Trump in jail when he wipes his rear end with the ruling and does whatever the gently caress he wants?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

That's nice. Are they going to put Trump in jail when he wipes his rear end with the ruling and does whatever the gently caress he wants?

Well it's a civil trial so they could seize his assets I suppose.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Tesseraction posted:

Cannon has done everything judicially permissible to slow walk, delay and outright impede movement on the case. It could be that Smith is trying to grind this to the point of forcing recusal but really I think he's focusing on Jan 6 first.

Trials involving classified information have very stringent rules from CIPA to try and balance due process/free sharing of information with keeping national security secrets secret. There are timeline and process requirements and a bunch of explicit hoops to jump through, and Cannon through a combination of bias and inexperience /incompetence with this type of case has accepted practically any motion that is likely to cause a delay.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

Trials involving classified information have very stringent rules from CIPA to try and balance due process/free sharing of information with keeping national security secrets secret. There are timeline and process requirements and a bunch of explicit hoops to jump through, and Cannon through a combination of bias and inexperience /incompetence with this type of case has accepted practically any motion that is likely to cause a delay.

Oh absolutely, this was going to be slow, but it can be slow despite a judge's best efforts, or it can be slow including a judge's best efforts.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

John Yossarian posted:

I really hope the March trial for Trump is still going to happen. I know it's been temporarily postponed while his whole immunity thing is being looked at, but I think this could actually land him in jail. He'll probably never go to jail, but it would be nice if it was at least acknowledged.

The March trial date is almost certainly not going to happen.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
We need more concern trolling from the left about how Mr. Trump's Constitutional right to a fair and speedy trial should be respected a great deal. After all it's the very same Amendment that even allows him to have a lawyer.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Paracaidas posted:

I'm curious if 'indirectly' counts him throwing a truth social tantrum. Because he was literally defaming her on truth social while in court.

I'm also curious if there is an end to this cycle. Does she get to just keep suing him over and over each time he opens his mouth to spew the exact same lies?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Caros posted:

I'm curious if 'indirectly' counts him throwing a truth social tantrum. Because he was literally defaming her on truth social while in court.

I'm also curious if there is an end to this cycle. Does she get to just keep suing him over and over each time he opens his mouth to spew the exact same lies?

If he keeps defaming her, then she should.

Peyton Manning settled a sexual assault case against a trainer from when he was in college. Both sides signed an NDA, and every couple of years Peyton would slip and say something in public and she would sue and get a couple of million dollars. If you can't keep your mouth shut, then open your wallet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Caros posted:

At some point I would assume he gets permanently enjoined from talking about her and then if he does the penalties are automatic and much faster

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Is there any point where the civil penalties can become criminal? Does he just get to keep perpetually defaming her as long as he pays up? What happens when he's bankrupt?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

Is there any point where the civil penalties can become criminal? Does he just get to keep perpetually defaming her as long as he pays up? What happens when he's bankrupt?

"Woohoo! I can stop paying the bitch!" -Trump, presumably.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Caros posted:

I'm pretty sure Trump defamed her in whatever his most recent speaking engagement was and has been doing this every few days for months.

This trial is to asses damages for the period while he was president with a much broader reach. I expect the damages to be several multiples of the previous verdict.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Caros posted:

If the judge meant to ban him from tweeting about the trial or publicly speaking about the trial, she would have specifically said so.

The cycle ends when he gets tired of paying large amounts of money to her and shuts up.

DarkHorse posted:

No, but the penalties will escalate to much greater amounts as he continues to defame. When he's bankrupt, he presumably doesn't have nearly as much of a platform and thus his defamation wouldn't be much of a threat anymore. Presumably, though, he'd stop before blowing his entire fortune.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
NY Supremes tossed Trumps appeal of Engoron's gag order.

Would be kind of funny if Trump says something now and gets dinged for it because I assume it's still in effect at least until the case ends. Does it stay in effect until the appeals are over? Or until the judge annuls it?

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013

Fart Amplifier posted:

The March trial date is almost certainly not going to happen.

Yeah, you're probably right. If it's delayed I at least hope that it happens in May or something like that. Pushing it back even more would be disappointing.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Paracaidas posted:

What would being up to the moment entail?

Not delaying the investigations for an entire year would have been a good start.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

DarkHorse posted:

At some point I guess he either whips up his morons enough or pays someone to have her killed

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Main Paineframe posted:

When he's bankrupt, he presumably doesn't have nearly as much of a platform and thus his defamation wouldn't be much of a threat anymore.

Can we presume that? Social media accounts are free.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Peyton Manning settled a sexual assault case against a trainer from when he was in college. Both sides signed an NDA, and every couple of years Peyton would slip and say something in public and she would sue and get a couple of million dollars. If you can't keep your mouth shut, then open your wallet.

this. she will keep suing him for this until she or he die because trump can't stop himself.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

raminasi posted:

Can we presume that? Social media accounts are free.

As is attention from the media, who all about chasing are chasing those Trump ratings and giving him free airtime

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

A stark reminder to not randomly drape your balls on some lady's forehead without her permission.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Bel Shazar posted:

A stark reminder to not randomly drape your balls on some lady's forehead without her permission.

Teabag Dome Scandal

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
I was trying to think, what did George Santos do that was worse than Trump's equivalent behavior? My only answer so far is Trump didn't categorically make up his background. A surprising % of Republicans condemn Santos but not Trump, so I think this is a good discussion topic because it can encourage people to think. I'm wondering if anyone has an intellectually honest answer, though I haven't searched for discussion on it much.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 17, 2024

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Eregos posted:

I was trying to think what George Santos do that was worse than Trump's equivalent behavior? My only answer so far is Trump didn't categorically make up his background. A surprising % of Republicans condemn Santos but not Trump, so I think this is a good discussion topic because it can encourage people to think. I'm wondering if anyone has an intellectually honest answer, though I haven't searched for discussion on it much.

If Trump was just a house member in an not super contested district they probably would give him the same poo poo they gave Santos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Eregos posted:

I was trying to think, what did George Santos do that was worse than Trump's equivalent behavior?

Not be president, with an MK Ultra-grade hold over a substantial portion of their base.