Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
What if Herbert got traded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Having 4 pass catchers going to QB needy teams instead of Jayden Daniels is some suspect valuation. Also, Bowers is going to get way overdrafted. Undersized TE that is going to end up a glorified slot receiver.

I dunno, I personally like the mock that has a LT falling to 7.

Also, the Rams actually have a first round pick this year!?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mega64 posted:

Also, the Rams actually have a first round pick this year!?

For now.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

What if Herbert got traded?

What if Eli Manning unretired and said I want to play for the Chargers now please

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Junior Seau rising from the grave to terrorize the NFL forever as Zombie Seau is more likely to happen than MHJ dropping to #5 overall

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I just want a WR who can separate or box dudes out and the meanest interior lineman in the draft available after

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

BlindSite posted:

I just want a WR who can separate or box dudes out and the meanest interior lineman in the draft available after

Brian Thomas Jr.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I really like Coleman I just don't see him lasting til 33.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

BlindSite posted:

I really like Coleman I just don't see him lasting til 33.

He has a separation problem.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kalli posted:

I'd much rather the Patriots draft Marvin Harrison Jr. Their offensive roster is barren, sticking the 3rd QB on that roster is just a recipe for ruining them. I'd much rather they sign a vet, build the offense and see if they can develop a day 2 QB pick into a guy that can take the job.

NFL is rad because, given the correct decision making and commitment, no team is ever more than a couple offseasons away from being in a good place. Generally any team that is an ideal landing spot for a rookie qb is going to be picking too high to get a blue chip qb prospect.

You gotta grab a franchise QB prospect when the opportunity presents itself.

Imo it’s more likely and more valuable that Jayden Daniels + 2nd round wr is better than MHJ + 2nd round QB.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ornery and Hornery posted:

NFL is rad because, given the correct decision making and commitment, no team is ever more than a couple offseasons away from being in a good place. Generally any team that is an ideal landing spot for a rookie qb is going to be picking too high to get a blue chip qb prospect.

Imo it’s more likely and more valuable that Jayden Daniels + 2nd round wr is better than MHJ + 2nd round QB.

I'd disagree, when it comes to successful team building, heck look at the 8 teams in the divisional round

Texans drafted a guy high, hit what looks like a grand slam.
Buccaneers took a scrap heap guy and plopped him onto a moderately built team.
Lions took a scrap heap salary dump and built around him. A true Christmas miracle.
49ers, Ravens and Packers drafted a guy basically after everyone else could and plopped them onto built / building teams.
Bills and Chiefs traded up to get their prospect from further down in the 1st round and plopped 'em onto mostly built teams.

One team grabbed a franchise QB prospect when they were in position to, everyone else fell / climbed to it.

Heck, add in the WC teams you add the Cowboys, Eagles for the later drafter crowd, Rams traded for one in the other half of the Christmas miracle, Dolphins did the franchise prospect dealie and the Browns and Steelers don't have QB's :v:

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Kalli posted:

I'd disagree, when it comes to successful team building, heck look at the 8 teams in the divisional round

Lions took a scrap heap salary dump and built around him. A true Christmas miracle.
49ers, Ravens and Packers drafted a guy basically after everyone else could and plopped them onto built / building teams.
Bills and Chiefs traded up to get their prospect from further down in the 1st round and plopped 'em onto mostly built teams.

One team grabbed a franchise QB prospect when they were in position to, everyone else fell / climbed to it.

Heck, add in the WC teams you add the Cowboys, Eagles for the later drafter crowd, Rams traded for one in the other half of the Christmas miracle, Dolphins did the franchise prospect dealie and the Browns and Steelers don't have QB's :v:

I really wonder what the conversations were in 2020 between Gutey and LaFleur about Love? It has been said multiple times that LaFleur was infatuated with his arm talent and confidence.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kalli posted:

Your post seems at odds with your preferred approach, to this humble poster. For most of your list, it’s still first round dudes on the team that drafted them: Texans, Ravens, Packers, Bills, Chiefs.

Buccaneers - they aren’t a contending team. They did okay because they are in the NFC South and because the Eagles have exploded.

Lions okay I’ll give you that.

Niners - I don’t think there’s much value in trying to replicate what the niners did or do. Shanahan is too powerful.

The playoff teams are split into two groups. One group has QBs that significantly help the team. The second group has QBs which are basically neutral and the team wins despite the qb (that’s not to say their QBs are bad per se, being neutral is fine and a big upgrade over the some QBs). The first group are contenders and are the teams that drafted qbs in the first (and the niners). The second group is everyone else.

It seems pretty compelling that drafting a blue chip qb early when given the opportunity is the correct move.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

But heck Kalli, I hope your pats do whatever you want if it means Jayden falls closer to Seattle…

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Your post seems at odds with your preferred approach, to this humble poster. For most of your list, it’s still first round dudes on the team that drafted them: Texans, Ravens, Packers, Bills, Chiefs.
It seems pretty compelling that drafting a blue chip qb early when given the opportunity is the correct move.

There's a pretty big difference between drafting a QB in the top 10 (or 5) and drafting that QB at the back end of the first round. Teams picking early generally *need* QBs, teams picking late mostly don't. If that QB makes it through all the QB-needy teams then that speaks to either a misevaluation or a red flag.

Love was #26, Lamar was #32. That's the majority-to-entire league passing on them.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

There's a pretty big difference between drafting a QB in the top 10 (or 5) and drafting that QB at the back end of the first round. Teams picking early generally *need* QBs, teams picking late mostly don't. If that QB makes it through all the QB-needy teams then that speaks to either a misevaluation or a red flag.

Love was #26, Lamar was #32. That's the majority-to-entire league passing on them.

Most teams who take a QB late in the first have a plan for them tho.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

And then there’s “Da Bears”

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Lamar should have been the #1 pick and I called it (don't look at my other QB evals)

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I would love to see Daniels in New England, but they do not have the players to help a QB grow.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

And more importantly, you don't need to do anything to pick a guy in that situation. Chiefs and Bills were able to move up a little bit from the middle of the 1st when they saw a guy that fit. This is about when a team bottoms out and has a top pick in hand.

The Patriots have no offensive talent right now. We know what that looks like, the top of the 1st round is littered with dudes ruined in bad situations. Unless you think the 3rd QB is also a Luck / Lawrence generational franchise caliber QB :v: , better to add blue chip talent at tackle or WR, and get by for a year with a middling vet you can upgrade from, and draft a guy day 2 if you want to see if you can develop a guy that way.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Kalli posted:

And more importantly, you don't need to do anything to pick a guy in that situation. Chiefs and Bills were able to move up a little bit from the middle of the 1st when they saw a guy that fit. This is about when a team bottoms out and has a top pick in hand.

The Patriots have no offensive talent right now. We know what that looks like, the top of the 1st round is littered with dudes ruined in bad situations. Unless you think the 3rd QB is also a Luck / Lawrence generational franchise caliber QB :v: , better to add blue chip talent at tackle or WR, and get by for a year with a middling vet you can upgrade from, and draft a guy day 2 if you want to see if you can develop a guy that way.

Next years QB class is kinda rear end.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Next years QB class is kinda rear end.

lol we're already calling this before the season is even played?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

wandler20 posted:

Things can change over the course of the season and some preseason look aheads are silly in retrospect, but generally it’s decent to ballpark the relative strength of qb classes.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

wandler20 posted:

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/QB/1/2025

This is not good.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Anyone want to do an effort post on edge talent? I keep seeing a bunch of names as the top guy and that may be who the bears are taking at 9.

Dallas Turner didn't impress me at Bama,but neither did Will Anderson last year so what do I know

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

wandler20 posted:

people have been scouting some of these kids since middle school probably, the top of the class isn't going to change much by one more season

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

ehh there's less guaranteed top end talent but looks like 3-4 could be first rounders if they have a good year.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

trevorreznik posted:

Anyone want to do an effort post on edge talent? I keep seeing a bunch of names as the top guy and that may be who the bears are taking at 9.

Dallas Turner didn't impress me at Bama,but neither did Will Anderson last year so what do I know

Bralen Trice or Laiatu Latu. I'll make a thick post about Edge talent.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
nfldraftbuzz is alright they usually set their ratings early and don't change them which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Relentlessboredomm posted:

ehh there's less guaranteed top end talent but looks like 3-4 could be first rounders if they have a good year.

The only QBs I see being first-round talent next year are Shedeur and Ewers. That is garbage.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

A Sneaker Broker posted:

The only QBs I see being first-round talent next year are Shedeur and Ewers. That is garbage.

there's like 4 dudes who had decentish years this year but have prototypical size, and most of them are getting new OCs so who knows. That's Leonard, Allar, Weigman, and Beck(altho maybe not him)

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Not going to lie, I have not been impressed with Allar.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think Beck is maybe the most sneaky intriguing 2025 guy. Easy to lump him with every other Good Enough QB on a loaded natty contender but he was making a few impressive throws every Georgia game I saw. Him and McConkey both are "No I swear they're really NFL good" types

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Daniels, Penix, and Nix were all not expected to be 1st or 2nd round guys who all greatly improved their stock during the season. It happens. Sam Howell was once a sure fire 1st rounder and look how that ended. Dumb to project anything at this point about something over a year away.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Not going to lie, I have not been impressed with Allar.

Same but he does have the size and a good arm and he's about to get a new OC. I still expect James Franklin to ruin him though

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I think Penix and Bo were both chatted about as dudes who could go in the late first, second and third. And I think that’s probably still accurate due to Bo sucking rear end and Penix’s age+injury history.

Importantly, even if they both are a bit higher or lower or whatever than where the conversation was a year ago, it’s not like either of them skyrocketed to an elite prospect top-5 status.

This time last year people thought Caleb was going #1 and that Maye wouldn’t be far behind and so far that seems to have held up. There’s obviously some error and with hindsight sometimes qb prospects end up at a way different draft spot than initially estimated. But overall the draft scouts are pretty drat correct.

The real mystery is that Jayden had a better drat year than the historic Burrow year and somehow didn’t get nearly the love.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The real mystery is that Jayden had a better drat year than the historic Burrow year and somehow didn’t get nearly the love.

That's because Tua and Herbert weren't as highly regarded as Caleb and Maye going into the year.

e: also Burrow is from Ohio which makes for a really easy story when the hometown kid can come home with the #1 overall pick

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 17, 2024

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Burrow also won a natty QBing the best team ever as opposed to dragging them to 9-3, and he had the narrative of going from utter mediocrity to the greatest passing season in college football history. That latter part is also probably more appealing to scouts even though Daniels' dual threat nature is obviously huge.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Doltos posted:

Lamar should have been the #1 pick and I called it (don't look at my other QB evals)

Who are your biggest "I told you so" players since you've been doing this

also who were your biggest embarassments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Febreeze posted:

Who are your biggest "I told you so" players since you've been doing this

also who were your biggest embarassments

I got some push back on Justin Herbert, D.K. Metcalf, and Lamar all being really good. Also Andrew Thomas over Mekhi Becton, Johnny Manziel busting because he abandoned plays too early, Kevin White being overrated, Clyde Edwards-Helaire being a terrible pick, and Jerry Jeudy being just okay.

Biggest misses were definitely Brad Kaaya, Josh Rosen, and Josh Allen. 2017 was such a terrible QB draft that I had him and Kizer as my two best. Same thing happened in 2022 when I thought Malik Willis was a first rounder just because everyone looked so bad in comparison, although I guess I did get something back calling Matt Corral a bust whose style couldn't fit in the NFL. Outside of that I missed pretty hard on Robert Nkemdiche, Laquon Treadwell, C.J. Henderson, Jalen Reagor, Solomon Thomas, and Sam Darnold. I also thought Chris Olave was overrated.

It's a little too early to tell for last year but I'm glad I got most of my rankings right so far with a few good calls in Tuli Tuipolotu and Kobie Turner.