Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

spankmeister posted:

are the japanese ones really that much better?

i think it used to be the only way to get the more advanced features but i think that's no longer the case.

when i was trying to decide if i should spend extra i looked around online. i saw people post things like "japan has tighter manufacturing constraints" or "the japanese ones use higher quality materials" with zero citations specific to zojirushi. i could not find a single side-by-side comparison for example. i assume zojirushi cares about their brand enough to use good chinese manufacturers; they're not an ALLCAPS fly by night on amazon.

caveat - i've only had mine since late last year so i can't vouch for longevity but so far it's worked perfectly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I mean truly the only thing you need to cook rice is alton's explanation

honestly I use my rice cooker for overnight oatmeal far more often than rice, love to wake up to the smell of oats oatin' in my kitchen :getin:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

zojirushi rice cookers are so drat good. i was too cheap to drop $600 on one imported from japan so I have a chinese one eg sold by zojirushi with same design but made in china. extremely worth the ~200 cad i spent since we make rice 3-4x per week.

i litterrally ordered this one from amazon last night. hopefully it lives up to the hype

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

i litterrally ordered this one from amazon last night. hopefully it lives up to the hype

i don't think that's the fuzzy logic (micom) one, rip

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

polyester concept posted:

I learned about a rice cooking method where you boil it in water for a couple minutes, and then pour it into a strainer and steam it for the remainder. It comes out perfectly chewy and not gummy or anything because the boiling process washes away most of the surface starch. It definitely requires a bit more attention than other methods but A+ would recommend

wash your rice first

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do you want to go way, Way, WAY deep into the HL1 Tau Cannon? Well, do I have the video for you!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmv_4XxzeFs

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

zojirushi's website says otherwise

also zojirushi's marketing is kind of bullshit and the word micom really just means microprocessor which is basically any rice cooker which isn't a traditional one that uses a magnet

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wild EEPROM posted:

wash your rice first

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i think the induction models (made in japan at that) are the top of the line, with every feature of the micom-labeled ones. i was a bit too cheap to go quite that far.

should have bought a larger one really, i keep making its max volume to make sure i have left-overs for fried rice etc.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I hope you folks are reading the great "Ask me about rice" thread!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

mystes posted:

zojirushi's website says otherwise

also zojirushi's marketing is kind of bullshit and the word micom really just means microprocessor which is basically any rice cooker which isn't a traditional one that uses a magnet

weird, idk why the amazon listing doesn't include all that, i stand corrected. i was looking for "fuzzy logic" and "micom" since that's how they market these features afaik. the upgrade version that's also a pressure cooker mentions it: https://a.co/d/1kxdmst

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Angryhead posted:

I hope you folks are reading the great "Ask me about rice" thread!

nice, bookmarked for later

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

weird, idk why the amazon listing doesn't include all that, i stand corrected. i was looking for "fuzzy logic" and "micom" since that's how they market these features afaik. the upgrade version that's also a pressure cooker mentions it: https://a.co/d/1kxdmst

amazon listing being an incomplete jumble of words pulled from wherever?! that place sure has gone downhill

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

relying on amazon listings containing or not containing certain things to accurately reflect a product's features is not a great idea

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

mystes posted:

relying on amazon listings containing or not containing certain things to accurately reflect a product's features is not a great idea

yeah i double check everything when i make major purchases, i was just a bit surprised in this case even though i know i shouldn't be

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i have a cuckoo rice cooker that my wife and i bought for like 100 bucks 15 years ago and it is still going strong. i think its this one but this might be a newer version: https://keycompanyusa.com/products/kgcr-0351fr

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah i double check everything when i make major purchases, i was just a bit surprised in this case even though i know i shouldn't be

the sheer number of SKUs makes it overwhelming and your post made me triple check that i got the right thing lol.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

the one i have is way cheaper. this is the one i bought several years ago after my aroma rice maker died.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007J5U7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

if im being honest it's probably not worth $150 or whatever over the aroma (which had all the relevant features, "micom" just means there's a chip in it), but we eat a ton of rice and i wanted to have a Very Nice Rice Cooker. and it plays twinkle twinkle

idk if the stainless one actually has more features than the plastic one though

e: ahhh, mine is resistive heat instead of inductive. i probably would've gone for the inductive upgrade if i had seen it/had it existed when i got the one we have. i'd probably feel the same way i do now about it, though, which is to say "it makes rice, it does it well, there's not a lot of ways for this to get meaningfully better"

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 17, 2024

Pooper Hero
Sep 11, 2001
The costumed crapper
i really like the induction zoujirushi, but i'm tired of the teflon cracking, and coming off the pot. especially because they charge $100 for a new one.
i only use the plastic rice scoop, and i've stopped putting it in the dishwasher.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i had a zoji ricemaker and it was great, made good rice and stuff and after about 5 years a gasket started leaking and i was unable to immediately find a replacement and so i just got a cheapo $10 rice cooker from the corner market to tide me over until i could and it worked so well that I never bothered replacing the zoji, and thats been my rice cooker for the last 10-12 years.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I got the cheapo zoji and it works p. good. glass lid w no gasket, dishwasher safe

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i got a lightly used 2nd hand panasonic rice cooker and its lasted me 12 years still oing strong

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

rotor posted:

I just got a cheapo $10 rice cooker from the corner market to tide me over until i could and it worked so well that I never bothered replacing the zoji, and thats been my rice cooker for the last 10-12 years.

same, I've got some $20 walmart pos that just works, and while I want a zoji or a cuckoo, this dumb thing works enough for the 1-2 times a week I make rice that I'm having trouble justifying the expense.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

speaking of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSTNhvDGbYI

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

literally one page ago

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

MrQueasy posted:

literally one page ago

gently caress!!!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
yospos is wo-space

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Check this poo poo out:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

cool

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

guys im thinking about buying a rice cooker any opinions?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

spankmeister posted:

guys im thinking about buying a rice cooker any opinions?

maybe this cool video i found will help?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

fart simpson posted:

maybe this cool video i found will help?

cool

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
i make my rice by heating a pot of water and then tossing a lil bag of rice into it and waiting 15 minutes

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

goblin week posted:

i make my rice by heating a pot of water and then tossing a lil bag of rice into it and waiting 15 minutes

is the rice salted?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
no, the water is.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

goblin week posted:

no, the water is.

if the bag is porous, why even bother with a bag?

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

shitface posted:

if the bag is porous, why even bother with a bag?

daily microplastics requirements

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

MrQueasy posted:

same, I've got some $20 walmart pos that just works, and while I want a zoji or a cuckoo, this dumb thing works enough for the 1-2 times a week I make rice that I'm having trouble justifying the expense.

i gotta agree, paying to replace a functioning ricemaker (that makes as much as you need in a single batch) is a loser's bet

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Technology Connections made me experiment the popcorn button with every microwave I got close to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Limpr1L8Pss

All the microwaves I tested got garbage popcorn buttons :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
mine works fine