Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Just for the record unset portals will link to each other, just won't work for having more than two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

PittTheElder posted:

Just for the record unset portals will link to each other, just won't work for having more than two.

My other portal was deactivated because I guess the pit I dug near the elder grew back or something fell down there and destroyed everything, so I think that's why it wouldn't connect

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Did my first Valheim save scum today, and I’m not proud. Went for an easy coast mapping voyage. I knew northwest of me were some plains, and northeast were some swamps. I’d only encountered coastal swamps with no crypts so far, so rather than head in I thought I’d skirt the coast and see if I could see any from shore.

Everything was going great, the weather was nice, the seas were calm. I rounded the curve into a bay, and I could see the plains in the distance. Suddenly, a shadow appears behind me.

It was a goddamn Wraith, in the middle of the day. I tried to find safe ground to beach the karve, but he destroyed it right before I got to shore. Skeletons, draugr, and a blob welcomed me in. I sprinted as fast as I could, but it was no use. Exhausted and stuck between two unbreakable trees, they finished me…

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

Retrowave Joe posted:

Did my first Valheim save scum today, and I’m not proud. Went for an easy coast mapping voyage. I knew northwest of me were some plains, and northeast were some swamps. I’d only encountered coastal swamps with no crypts so far, so rather than head in I thought I’d skirt the coast and see if I could see any from shore.

Everything was going great, the weather was nice, the seas were calm. I rounded the curve into a bay, and I could see the plains in the distance. Suddenly, a shadow appears behind me.

It was a goddamn Wraith, in the middle of the day. I tried to find safe ground to beach the karve, but he destroyed it right before I got to shore. Skeletons, draugr, and a blob welcomed me in. I sprinted as fast as I could, but it was no use. Exhausted and stuck between two unbreakable trees, they finished me…

They like to sneak out from underwater shelters, they're the reason i carry fire AND ice arrows on ocean journeys now. Hope you had back up gear for the run :smith:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I would never suggest skirting the swamps by boat; it’s way too easy to run aground on something and get swarmed by leeches before you can escape. I rage-quit my first playthrough for a few days after I ran aground on what turned out to be a tiny swamp island. I ended up having to farm rafts from a nearby continent like five times before I recovered my body.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

JosephSkunk posted:

They like to sneak out from underwater shelters, they're the reason i carry fire AND ice arrows on ocean journeys now. Hope you had back up gear for the run :smith:

That would make sense! There was a single 45° roof sticking up out of the water in the bay, that’s a likely hideout. Huh, didn’t know they could do that. Thanks for the tip!

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Underwater wraiths chasing your carve rank right up there with the first troll and the first sea serpent for adrenaline rush, it's the best/worst

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Set up a shiny new base a few islands over. Its in the meadows but plains and mountains are close, and swamp is a short sail away. Moder spawned just up the hill from me and I managed to kill a fuling berserker after only a few deaths. Still need to get a better portal hub going at some point. Small gripe: By the time one of these cultists drops a trophy so I can make a hood and finish my fenris set I'll be onto the next armor tier.

edit:

JosephSkunk posted:

sea serpent for adrenaline rush, it's the best/worst

This just happened and I panicked and went for the first shore I saw which was a swamp and it turns out the good people of the swamp do exactly the same thing to him as they do to me, so now I have giant meats

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 9, 2024

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Moder was the most unfun boss fight, with the most fun rocky style training montage break, before being an annoying but acceptable boss. Maxed my root armor for archery bonus, maxed the silver shield, got the silver sword to 3 (lol 60 silver for lvl 4 when the wishbone is on my spite corpse*), made and maxed the draugr fang, and despite a stone golem showing up along with every wolf on the mountain it went really smoothly other than when I died of fall damage leaping to the hole in the ground where my portal was hidden. Now I'm building a plateau farm in the plains in the hopes that only deathsquitos and maybe drakes will be able to get to it. Too much industry going on at the base and its noisy as hell, it'll be nice to have somewhere quiet to hang out. Also thinking after all that I might just want to chill and fish and sail around for awhile. I feel like the karve is way more maneuverable than the longship, but is it meaningfully slower? Wind being what it is its kind of hard to tell. I'm sick of trying to back the longship into my dock, its like watching a student driver with a bee in the car try and parallel park.

*The spite corpse is left there with all my poo poo and was not to be recovered until Moder was dead.

(If no one wants my blind playthrough stories I can stop with them, I know the morrowind thread always likes hearing about noob adventures.)

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 14, 2024

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I enjoy reading them!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Karve is slightly slower at full sail than the longship (7 m/sec vs 9.4 m/sec, according to the Valheim wiki). Like you noticed, it does turn a bit better.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
I like the stories! Longboats are convenient for their durability in the ocean, but yeah parking them sucks. If you're not spending time in the ocean itself much i wouldn't build one

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I think a lot of us have posted travelogues in here, it’s part of the experience

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Where do mistlands spawn? Randomly? Towards the map edges?

Plateau farm is working out, made the most of some bad terraforming to make a dirt wall wolf-taming containment area if I can talk one of them into chasing me down here.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Where do mistlands spawn? Randomly? Towards the map edges?

Plateau farm is working out, made the most of some bad terraforming to make a dirt wall wolf-taming containment area if I can talk one of them into chasing me down here.
Generally pretty far out from the center, yeah. Not sure exactly but I've found them more east/west (which makes sense since North/South has the ashlands and deep north)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Mistlands spawn in all directions, at a certain minimum distance from the center of the world. Like every other non-polar zone, they can’t spawn in the poles. In effect that means that there’s a lot of Mistlands to the east and west, but only a fairly thin strip to the north and south before you get into the polar zones.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Be happy they toned down the deathsquito aggro distances, plains biomes used to be horrifying pits of despair and suffering if you were on a boat. Little bastards would come out a mile over open water and one-shot you, full to dead with zero warning.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

JosephSkunk posted:

I like the stories! Longboats are convenient for their durability in the ocean, but yeah parking them sucks. If you're not spending time in the ocean itself much i wouldn't build one

By park do you mean beach it then hit it with an axe until it breaks and plop the materials in a box nearby?

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
I do that with carves but once I build permanent enough docks i like to live the Viking raid lyfe and treat the long boat as permanent too.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
In my opinion the big advantage of the longship over the karve is the expanded storage. You can jam so much ore in these babies *slaps mainmast*

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

bird food bathtub posted:

Be happy they toned down the deathsquito aggro distances, plains biomes used to be horrifying pits of despair and suffering if you were on a boat. Little bastards would come out a mile over open water and one-shot you, full to dead with zero warning.

I used to refuse to go near plains in a boat without a buddy to be a spotter and archer. This did lead to some absolutely brutal team corpse runs though.

Eventually I had enough armor/health to survive the one shot but only if I remembered to eat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My wife and I are playing this with our 9 and 6 year old. The 6 year old tries his best, but he doesn't end up helping out much. The 9 year old is far, far too ambitious, and thinks he can survive running around the black forest with 3 hp, in leather armour.

I'm away from my steam deck right now, so I can't check, but can you remove death markers from the map, especially after the stuff dropped there has been retrieved?

The map looks like it's covered in snow :negative:

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm away from my steam deck right now, so I can't check, but can you remove death markers from the map, especially after the stuff dropped there has been retrieved?
Right-click the skull icon in the map legend.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Am I crazy? When did yggrasil porridge get added to the recipes? I thought only seeker aspic and mushroom wraps were the only source of eitr food.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Much like I think it's dumb that you can't craft a basic fishing pole on your own, I also think it's dumb that you can't plant blueberries or raspberries.

C'mon now. Maybe nerf them a tiny amount to make up for the fact that you'd be (realistically, even given the fact that you're surrounded by fantastical elements) able to take them and plant them all over the place.

Also, without plugging the game save into one of those online tools, what's the best way to find the trader? Is he and/or she always in the Black Forest?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

They are yeah, and the best way is sorta just to run around until you get one to show up on your map. The discovery radius there is pretty big, so you'll see them on the map long before you spot them in the world.

And yeah the Plant Everything mod (also Plant Easily) is a must have imo.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not being able to farm berries wasn’t so bad when you outpaced them pretty quickly but with all the new foods and other things using some ingredients from throughout the game it’s pretty silly to go foraging for raspberries when you’re doing stuff in the Mistland. I feel Plant Everything actually makes it pretty balanced since you need I think 5 of a berry to plant 1 bush and still need to be in the biome the plants come from to grow them. So it still takes a while to get a significant crop going and it feels weirdly nice to maintain a little farming outpost after you’ve moved on to other areas.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Plus you get to pretty up your base with berry bushes and shrubs and stuff, it's great.

e: Does anyone know any good tricks for messing with map generation to get bigger continents, without completely disrupting the marine transport options? I think what I want is an option for 8-10 large consolidated "continents", rather than 100 small islands, ideally with larger later biomes, so with big mountain ranges and big open plains sections.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 16, 2024

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I'm such a hoarder, I have a reinforced chest entirely filled with stacks of berries and thistles and an overflow chest I grab things out of to feed the boars. Someday I'm going to need 400 blueberries and by god I'll be ready.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
For Ashlands I want a heat source that doesn't produce smoke. It can have a lower comfort than the hearth to balance it out.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just reinstalled this last night and haven't played since last May apparently. I was playing with a friend last year and he was really good and built a massive base and it slowed my computer to a crawl. It always amazed me that a game with such simple (but good) graphics could do that. I got bored and eventually uninstalled.

Fast forward to now. Fresh install, no mods, and it performs like poo poo. Way worse than before with zero structures. Graphics are on lowest settings, I have 32GB of RAM, an SSD, a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with 8GB, and an Intel Core i7-10750H 6 core 5.00 GHz. I should be able to play like 4 instances of this game running at the same time.

This makes zero sense to me. Can someone help me out here? What in god's name is going on? :psyduck:

Burns
May 10, 2008

Yeah i run the game on a 1070 and dont experience such problems. Verify data of the game and update your drivers.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Burns posted:

Yeah i run the game on a 1070 and dont experience such problems. Verify data of the game and update your drivers.

Already did that. However I ran into this which I'll check out but it's a years old trick I guess.

https://www.pcgamer.com/valheim-increase-fps-performance/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I play exclusively on the Steam deck, and it runs fine. :shrug: That's weird, man. Definitely check your drivers or something.

Also, can't you change the launch options to either use or not use Vulkan? Would that make a difference?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I play exclusively on the Steam deck, and it runs fine. :shrug: That's weird, man. Definitely check your drivers or something.

Also, can't you change the launch options to either use or not use Vulkan? Would that make a difference?

I have no idea what Vulkan is. I guess I can try booting up with that too.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Huh. So I started it up using Vulkan and switched everything to max quality and it's just fine. I should look into what this is apparently lol.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Huh. So I started it up using Vulkan and switched everything to max quality and it's just fine. I should look into what this is apparently lol.
Cross-platform API and open standard for 3d graphics. Think OpenGL but more modern.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

giZm posted:

Cross-platform API and open standard for 3d graphics. Think OpenGL but more modern.

Neat! I haven't knowingly used OpenGL in years I don't think. Last time I remember it I probably had a Voodoo card lol. I don't think the graphics with Vulkan are as good as DirectX but I only ran around for a minute to test the frame rate.

I very much appreciate the help guys.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't think the graphics with Vulkan are as good as DirectX
Zero visual difference between the two APIs, apart from maybe performance depending on hardware used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

giZm posted:

Zero visual difference between the two APIs, apart from maybe performance depending on hardware used.

Excellent. It was probably just the foggy weather during the short test so I couldn't really see anything. I'm excited now! Yay!