Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I can’t tell if people are joking or not about friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I get that same feeling when Ive seen Friends.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

EL BROMANCE posted:

Literally aired at the same time as Friends, which is not exactly a show I would say alienates the gently caress out of younger Brits today (and that video clip is almost 10 years old too).

Lol no way, that show looked like it was from 1973. British comedy really is far behind.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Eh, Friends was alright. It was an okay show back in the day when nothing better was around and I feel some jokes haven't aged well. These days there are so much better shows around.
But I started watching Seinfeld at a way later point in my life and couldn't see what all the fuzz was about. I guess I'd think similar about Friends if I would see it for the first time now.
I wonder if Scrubs would be fresh enough to hold up.
Which of today's shows will be liked in 20 years by people who aren't poisoned by nostalgia?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 16, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Scrubs is not fresh enough to hold up. I also don't think people could even easily legally watch the original versions with the actual music anymore. Not that it's the reason it doesn't hold up, but it certainly doesn't help.

The Office is almost 20 years old. Parts of its episodes about offensive stuff in the office have gotten more offensive over time but because they aren't oblivious to it's incorrectness, the joke supposed to be that this buffoon is still carrying outdated bigotry, it holds up longer. Other parts start to lose something in the time translation to newer folks, I think or hope.

Like Michael is told by Oscar he is gay in his interview, he laughs and says Oscar is the funniest guy he knows and hires him, not believing he is gay but that it is a racuous joke, invoking a certain era juvenile humor where homosexuality itself was a whole atom of humor. I get the impression that young folks today grow up with a far more robust and nuanced understanding of human sexuality and gender, and while still subjected to horrible bigotry, probably don't have the same school days touchstone of immature idiots for whom gayness was inherently a source of giggling.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My 8 year old was watching Nimona the other day and just yelled "GAY!". Not with any sort of malice or disgust and when we asked him what Gay meant he was pretty level headed and neutral, but he knew he hadn't acted in the proper way. There is clearly still some schoolyard snickering that goes on about the subject though.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

They announced more of the cast for season three of The White Lotus. It has some people and also Walton Goggins! I love that dude, I’m even going to watch Fallout for him.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Seinfeld was, during its airing, the funniest show on television. Enjoying it now is probably next to impossible because of how much comedy has changed and also because watching any of Curb turns Seinfeld into Diet Curb. However, since I grew up with Seinfeld, it's what I put on the television in my dentist office ceiling to keep me calm. (I don't actually need to use the TV in the dentist office but I'd rather be watching Seinfeld than my dentist)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 17, 2024

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Diego Luna says that Andor s2 is almost done filming. It is kind of funny how that show went from something I thought was a dumb idea to being one of my most anticipated returning shows.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I find it funny, if we're talking about teevee shows timing themselves, that SVU :doink: starts out with detective Munch (:rip:) waiting on a fax from Jersey or some poo poo, to the cops eventually gleefully photographing crime scenes on their smart phones.

Of course there's the darker side to this, what with how Liv banters about transsexuals across the seasons, and I suppose how Elliot gleefully beats on every suspect but I find this part hard to take not as a comedy.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

DaveKap posted:

Seinfeld was, during its airing, the funniest show on television. Enjoying it now is probably next to impossible because of how much comedy has changed and also because watching any of Curb turns Seinfeld into Diet Curb. However, since I grew up with Seinfeld, it's what I put on the television in my dentist office ceiling to keep me calm. (I don't actually need to use the TV in the dentist office but I'd rather be watching Seinfeld than my dentist)
I watched through it last year and it was still really funny. I'd seen random episodes over the years but most of it was new.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

muscles like this! posted:

Diego Luna says that Andor s2 is almost done filming. It is kind of funny how that show went from something I thought was a dumb idea to being one of my most anticipated returning shows.

Andor and Severance are the biggest returns I'm looking forward to.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

muscles like this! posted:

I just have no faith in Star Wars being able to do a good second season. I'm assuming that season 2 of Andor will have one episode that's just a backdoor pilot to a Bill Burr show that never gets made, and a three episode arc about High Marquise Galea Slup, the beloved character Star Wars fans have known and loved since she first appeared as a piece of concept art for a cancelled Clone Wars phone game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gripweed posted:

I just have no faith in Star Wars being able to do a good second season. I'm assuming that season 2 of Andor will have one episode that's just a backdoor pilot to a Bill Burr show that never gets made, and a three episode arc about High Marquise Galea Slup, the beloved character Star Wars fans have known and loved since she first appeared as a piece of concept art for a cancelled Clone Wars phone game.

Nahhhh it'll be a couple episodes about Jack Black and Lizzo's characters, with a Hutt laugh track

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Medullah posted:

Nahhhh it'll be a couple episodes about Jack Black and Lizzo's characters, with a Hutt laugh track

I wouldn't mind if a show had "ha ha ha, Bargon wan che copa" as the laugh track.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

misguided rage posted:

I watched through it last year and it was still really funny. I'd seen random episodes over the years but most of it was new.
Good to know it has actually aged that well!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Speaking of comedy and society aging, I also just started watching It's Always Sunny. Almost done with Season 3. And that show is still running in 2024. So is South Park.

I think people overestimate how much things change or how comedy can be severely dated.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Seinfeld is much funnier than Curb

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sunny definitely has some dated stuff. Like having the character with the slur in their name.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I have to give Curb another chance. Fiance and I started watching it during the COVID two week lockdown and that was not a good time to watch a show seemingly all about being neurotic in public.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

DaveKap posted:

Ah, an anti-dentite in our midst!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Seinfeld is still great, y'all are weird. Just like any older media, it helps to consider the context of its moment in understanding its perspective, but an occasional dated joke doesn't invalidate good writing.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Seinfeld mostly aged in the sense that there are cultural touchstones that younger people don't have. Which is interesting to think about.

Seinfeld has a bunch of plots that just don't happen in the smartphone or even cell phone era. Someone pointed out how the whole "two people who just need to talk to stop this mess keep messing each other by seconds" was a huge repeated sitcom plot that's basically gen z's version of a husband and wife sleeping in separate beds. They can obviously understand it but it can seem weird or not hit the same.

Plus stuff like Seinfeld and George having a bunch of one-episode relationships in a time when that was new and crazy but is going to hit a lot weaker now.

Shows like It's Always Sunny aged in the sense of "Oh right, the reason for Charlie getting off on the wrong foot with The Waitress is that she heard him say the n word." Just the occasional :sigh: as you remember that era of comedy.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 17, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Shows like It's Always Sunny aged in the sense of "Oh right, the reason for Charlie getting off on the wrong foot with The Waitress is that she heard him say the n word." Just the occasional :sigh: as you remember that era of comedy.

This is crossing over into my little plot or character analysis/speculation rather than comedy analysis but speaking as a new viewer, I'm not sure that's why she dislikes Charlie. I mean, she's infatuated with Dennis, despite him doing so many horrible things to her over and over again.

Speaking of which, Dennis seems far and away the most evil of the four. No redeeming qualities whatsoever. Unless it's Frank who obviously bears a lot of responsibility for Dennis (and Dee) being monsters. Mac and to a lesser extent Charlie at least have episodes where I can sympathize with them.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Seinfeld is still great, y'all are weird. Just like any older media, it helps to consider the context of its moment in understanding its perspective, but an occasional dated joke doesn't invalidate good writing.

People who talk about Seinfeld not being funny always mention things like how cellphones would invalidate every situation. Like they're incapable of remembering anything before a few years ago. You're posting on the SA forums, you were alive back then! Don't tell me you don't remember not being able to pinpoint the exact GPS coordinates of your car or someone you were looking for.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Seinfeld mostly aged in the sense that there are cultural touchstones that younger people don't have. Which is interesting to think about.

Seinfeld has a bunch of plots that just don't happen in the smartphone or even cell phone era. Someone pointed out how the whole "two people who just need to talk to stop this mess keep messing each other by seconds" was a huge repeated sitcom plot that's basically gen z's version of a husband and wife sleeping in separate beds. They can obviously understand it but it can seem weird or not hit the same.

Plus stuff like Seinfeld and George having a bunch of one-episode relationships in a time when that was new and crazy but is going to hit a lot weaker now.

I feel like comedy always leans heavily on contrivance, as even in the 90s a rational person could probably find a way to contact another person if they were to approach the situation carefully. Like I have no idea if office workers in the 50s-70s actually ever had their bosses over for dinner, but it sure happens a lot on old sitcoms for the sake of having a chain of escalating gags, and people at the time probably accepted that nonsensical premise for the sake of the gags if it wasn’t a part of lived experience.

Something that’s lost with Seinfeld is the focus on mundane aspects of everyday life, though, as the influence of Seinfeld on everything after has been to allow tv to depict people in parking garages, waiting for a table at a restaurant, shopping, etc. The much lauded “show about nothing” aspect of the series probably doesn’t look like anything when it’s pulled out of historical context, like how an adaptation of Princess of Mars can seem very derivative and generic because we’re all saturated in media descended directly from it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really dug the way Seinfeld episodes would always manage to tie together each of the individual character's mad little adventures so they'd end up intersecting or butting heads, no matter how far apart they might initially seem from the other. That's pretty old hat now, and obviously Larry David has further perfected it (and most of his Seinfeld humor) in Curb Your Enthusiasm, but I was used to sitcoms at the time having an A Plot and a B plot that didn't necessarily have to connect to each other before everything wrapped up in time for the final gag.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

All TV comedy should just basically be this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PChzIsepmdk

except for the racist part. But the structure is sound

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 17, 2024

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Even Mulder remarked in the new xfiles episodes that he wish he had a cell phone camera when he was starting out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Seinfeld would probably be difficult for someone to watch if they've never seen it before. Though maybe not as much anymore. A lot of the things Seinfeld did were really original and out of the box, but were then copied by other sitcoms to the point that they can seem cliche these days.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've tried Seinfeld a few times and I don't know if it's for me. It's like Friends, the stuff they're laughing about just isn't that funny to me. I really liked Maude though, if we're talking about older sitcoms.

Plenty of zoomers love Seinfeld, I think the difficulty in cultural translation is somewhat overstated.

Honestly, the old show I've always struggled the most with "getting" is The Sopranos, though some of that is being completely unfamiliar with an Italian American context and largely unfamiliar with mob films.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Seinfeld would probably be difficult for someone to watch if they've never seen it before. Though maybe not as much anymore. A lot of the things Seinfeld did were really original and out of the box, but were then copied by other sitcoms to the point that they can seem cliche these days.

Yeah, that's more the point. That's why I'd bring up the cellphone thing. It's not that new watchers/young people can't understand it, but that if you don't have a personal memory of "Oh my god! Why'd you run that yellow light, I'm following you! I don't know how to get there!" then it's not going to be the same. And stuff like spending a whole episode looking for a spot to park is so old hat that kid's cartoons are doing it now.

One of those things that isn't a problem but you wonder how it'd feel to a new viewer. Then again one of my nieces saw Monty Python and the Holy Grail for the first time and liked it, so it's probably also getting old and overthinking things.

NikkolasKing posted:

This is crossing over into my little plot or character analysis/speculation rather than comedy analysis but speaking as a new viewer, I'm not sure that's why she dislikes Charlie. I mean, she's infatuated with Dennis, despite him doing so many horrible things to her over and over again.

Speaking of which, Dennis seems far and away the most evil of the four. No redeeming qualities whatsoever. Unless it's Frank who obviously bears a lot of responsibility for Dennis (and Dee) being monsters. Mac and to a lesser extent Charlie at least have episodes where I can sympathize with them.

Oh yeah, it takes on its own life later. But in the first episode Charlie's planning to talk to her for the first time (and blow it a different way) when she overhears him repeating the n word and it gets them off to a bad start. Just a funny trivia thing.

I'm only about 6 or 7 seasons in since my watch buddy fell off of it and I just never got around to picking it back up, but it was also a case of them steadily breaking The Waitress down into being hosed up like them. Same thing with Rickety Cricket's spiral. And yeah, Dennis is definitely the most outright evil. There's a reason that there's a background joke rumor that he's a serial killer.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I've always been told this is why I don't like Aliens. I found Aliens very generic and cliche and everyone tells me that's just because everything copied Aliens and I saw all of them first.

But I've never seen much Seinfeld. I gotta try it someday. I've also never seen much Cheers but based on an ep of Frasier with the old crew, Cliff's entire thing was being the consummate bullshiter. I have always thought his shtick wouldn't work in the age of smartphones because you can Google any BS he tries to pull on you.

Oh yeah, it takes on its own life later. But in the first episode Charlie's planning to talk to her for the first time (and blow it a different way) when she overhears him repeating the n word and it gets them off to a bad start. Just a funny trivia thing.

I'm only about 6 or 7 seasons in since my watch buddy fell off of it and I just never got around to picking it back up, but it was also a case of them steadily breaking The Waitress down into being hosed up like them. Same thing with Rickety Cricket's spiral. And yeah, Dennis is definitely the most outright evil. There's a reason that there's a background joke rumor that he's a serial killer.

Ah, good points.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 17, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I've always been told this is why I don't like Aliens. I found Aliens very generic and cliche and everyone tells me that's just because everything copied Aliens and I saw all of them first.

But I've never seen much Seinfeld. I gotta try it someday. I've also never seen much Cheers but based on an ep of Frasier with the old crew, Cliff's entire thing was being the consummate bullshiter. I have always thought his shtick wouldn't work in the age of smartphones because you can Google any BS he tries to pull on you.

Ah, good points.

You would think so, but listen to any podcast. Podcasts are full of people who just say things and the other people refuse to look it up.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Seinfeld still mostly holds up just because all the performances are so next level (minus Jerry) - no one in a sitcom ever did it quite like Michael Richards or Jason Alexander or Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Jerry isn't even bad since the others play off him really well.

I'd say the only things that have aged poorly are some of the real early season 1 and season 2 episodes where they hadn't quite nailed the formula yet. I don't think any sitcom that followed ever really managed to replicate the feel of Seinfeld, and while Curb is great, I do think it's quite a different show.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Even back when it was first airing I thought that Seinfeld was just ok, but I have never been big into american comedy tv.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Seinfeld still mostly holds up just because all the performances are so next level (minus Jerry) - no one in a sitcom ever did it quite like Michael Richards or Jason Alexander or Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Jerry isn't even bad since the others play off him really well.

I'd say the only things that have aged poorly are some of the real early season 1 and season 2 episodes where they hadn't quite nailed the formula yet. I don't think any sitcom that followed ever really managed to replicate the feel of Seinfeld, and while Curb is great, I do think it's quite a different show.

I've recently been watching a lot of standup because of Dr. Katz. It got me in the mood as it were. Anyway, all I know about Jerry Seinfeld is the gag in tons of stuff. "What's the deal with airline food?!" said in an annoying way. But anyway, my curiosity about standup led me to Google something like best standup comedians ever and I found this Top 50 List from Rolling Stone and Jerry Seinfeld was actually 7. So I guess he is actually a great, well-respected comedian?

I also randomly got suggested this vid on YT comparing Family Guy and South Park styles of humor. At one point the guy contrasted standup comedians who do zingers and one-liners vs. ones who tell long, connected stories. I only like the latter, I must confess. They also tend to have a point to their comedy which I can sink my teeth into and take away rather than just having a few yuks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Jerry does have routines that are really funny but almost all of his stuff is observational material about the world around him, so it can be easily boiled down to "What's the deal with *thing*?"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Oasx posted:

I have never been big into american comedy tv.

Same, it rarely does anything for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jerry's stand-up isn't that funny, he notably keeps it all very PG, but he's extremely good at playing a crowd. There are no missed beats to be found.