Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, a further spoiler from toy leaks/BTS leaks Mothra returns in this film, but only because an original Kaiju they had in the same role tested badly with audiences so was replaced at the last moment. So there's toys of both depending on when the toy range went into production, and don't expect Mothra to be anything like Mothra except in looks. I don't think Wingard and I enjoy the same things from Godzilla.

This is a fascinating story but makes little sense - Legendary threw in a Mothra-like kaiju presumably to avoid licensing fees, but then enough test audiences (who tend to be average moviegoer types not kaiju fans) collectively demanded Mothra so Legendary bought the Mothra license and CGI'd them into the movie late in the game?

I don't doubt Mothra is in it,
if there are toys, but the reasoning here is bizarre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I've seen leaked pics of the scrapped Kaiju and I can see why test audiences didn't like it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

drrockso20 posted:

I've seen leaked pics of the scrapped Kaiju and I can see why test audiences didn't like it

If it's the same one i saw it looks like a weird Pokémon like a furry Lugia or something.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Post the leaked pics

edit: watching the 4K G vs Hedorah some more- drat it's really pretty.

lol although I did remember the poor cat they put in mud for that one scene I had completely forgotten about the baby in mud scene

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 14, 2024

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Arc Hammer posted:

If it's the same one i saw it looks like a weird Pokémon like a furry Lugia or something.

Yup that's the one

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

why is Mothra so popular, I mean I like her too, but is it the singing twins

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Monsterverse twins were played by Zhang Ziyi so it's a shame she was only in KOTM.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GateOfD posted:

Well, Mothra's one of the older Godzilla monsters, so that's part of it. She showed up before Godzilla's first proper versus movie and got the first followup, giving her some proper credentials.

She's also got a very rare role in Toho's stable as a pure babyface. Ghidorah's a heel and Godzilla makes turns by the film, but Mothra's always the good guy. You need someone to hold the line against the evil monster while Godzilla decides if he gives a poo poo, or someone who can believably fight Godzilla long enough to let the big plan come into play, Mothras are an option people will believe, while still being weak enough to give tension.

Add in the fact she's got a unique design, and that some of the Mothra's are among the very few female Kaiju, and it's easy to see why people go "Oh, yeah, Mothra".

(All that fails, you still have the option of giant moth gags, which aren't exactly rare when people make kaiju jokes.)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Also Mothra’s cute and cuddly (usually anyway, the MonsterVerse version is the exception)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

All that and she's one of the few monsters that can (indirectly) communicate with humanity thanks to the twins.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
also she was in one of the recent films, so whenever mothra isn't on screen, everyone should be asking "where's mothra?" she also needs a jetpack and a motorbike

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Also she tends to have awesome theme music.

Mothra stands out in a world of freakish brutes by being this weird, beautiful, seemingly delicate divine presence that can and will throw down. Mothra owns.

(Except in GMK, and probably GxK)

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Mantis42 posted:

All that and she's one of the few monsters that can (indirectly) communicate with humanity thanks to the twins.

Hey Battra has twins too in one continuity.
Not that you would want those two to speak for Kaiju

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

GateOfD posted:

Mothra/Mosura is an all-timer kaiju name, which is really important.

Monsterverse has been kinda poo poo at coming up with names after “MUTO”. Like, the two monster antagonists of the Monarch show are “The Ion Dragon” and “Frost Vark” - which is actually at the upper level of name quality for these guys. They ain’t even trying.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Tha names of the new kaiju in GxK are also pretty bad - even not-Mothra was named Phosphera? Talk about lazy.

Looking at YouTube videos is also interesting because there is clearly a diehard zoomer monsterverse fanbase who knows all kinds of poo poo, for example I guess people call the iguana monster that appeared for a few seconds in GvsK "Doug"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

it was a meme yes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1746620355802792380

Big lizard stay winning

bigDninja
Jul 31, 2011
Quick aside from Godzilla minus one (it is a fantastic movie!)

I got my copy of whale god which has been mentioned a few times in this thread.

Super interesting period film. It is a Japanese moby dick in that you get to see how the village is focused around whale hunting for their economy.

Characters are interesting and have interesting interactions. Everyone is a little crazy.

There is a rape scene (initiated in a scene but switches off quickly) but at least it/its outcome are significant to the plot. It’s not just grim dark.

Kaiju looks like a giant turd which is hilarious.

I need a second watch to understand everything but I think it’s worth it. Solid 7/10

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
going into it with the idea of a Japanese Moby Dick i think threw me off, and I'd kind of disabuse anyone of approaching it in that notion. the similarity is basically "what if 95% of this fishing village were all Ahabs and the other guy left town?"

it definitely had some utterly fantastic moments. the three generational scenes in the opening killed me, and the climax was amazingly rendered. i don't think the tone ever had as much weight as it wanted (something like Sword of Doom's gravity was needed, but not everyone can be Tetsuya Nakadai), tho the two female leads did fantastic work.

right at the end, when Shaki's being dragged to the shore, my toddler looked to me and said "that whale's head fall off." that really amped the maddened poignancy of the scene.

like i said, not a perfect movie, definitely enjoyed it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://x.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1746455873277546623?s=20

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

This is a fascinating story but makes little sense - Legendary threw in a Mothra-like kaiju presumably to avoid licensing fees, but then enough test audiences (who tend to be average moviegoer types not kaiju fans) collectively demanded Mothra so Legendary bought the Mothra license and CGI'd them into the movie late in the game?

I don't doubt Mothra is in it,
if there are toys, but the reasoning here is bizarre

I don't think test audiences demanded the exact change, just that what was there was poo poo, and the quickest way to change it was to throw some money at it.

Maybe Wingard always wanted Motha so he pushed for the change once reception was weak.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also Minus One was made on an insanely low budget, comparing anything to it on terms of cost is pretty unfair. :v:

Wasn't the director of Minus One also the VX supervisor? US blockbusters waste so much money shuttling between different FX houses and American execs and directors dithering and making essentially multiple versions of their movies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Having a background in VFX isn't a guarantee of success or even good VFX in general. For every Joe Johnston you have a dozen Greg and Colin Strauses churning out steaming hot garbage.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The director and the VFX supervisor being one person means that the director probably knows what is going to be added into shots while he is shooting and has more knowledge about how to frame and block the shot with that in mind.

In some films nobody on set has any idea what the environment or creature that will be added in later looks like.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Skyline killed them dead and thank god

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

For those who enjoy Godzilla models and figures:

Fun Wonder Festival footage including some of the Collect All Monsters crew!

Fire up your VPN and connect to a Japanese server. Click this link and you will get 2 pop ups. The first is to agree to their terms of service. The second asks for your age (type in format YYYYMM), the radio button asks your sex, and the third field asks for a postal code; I used an Osaka one 556-0001. The relevant part is at the 4 minute mark.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Mothra slapping Godzilla's poo poo until he stops being an rear end in a top hat in "Godzilla vs the Sea Monster" is high-key one of my favorite bits of the whole mythos.

Godzilla: I wanna fight you.

*Mothra Lariat*

Mothra: Fight over. Island exploding. Leave.

*Godzilla sulks and leaves*

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 15, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/nostoro/status/1747225493043302858?t=aQx46Ursj5zxqhhGpdQ1fA&s=19

Yamazaki Murphy collaboration when. I love that he's just carrying his little godzilla statue with him everywhere.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

I love that he's just carrying his little godzilla statue with him everywhere.

You mean you don't carry around your little Godzilla statue with you everywhere? :raise:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hell no. I carry an action figure

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Asterite34 posted:

You mean you don't carry around your little Godzilla statue with you everywhere? :raise:

My son, aged 6, in the theater for Shin Godzilla.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Asterite34 posted:

I had a 98 Zilla toy that would rotate its torso back and forth while screeching when you pushed a button it was awesome but then the batteries died.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

the second "Santa Claus" moment for childhood is realizing that batteries in toys last much longer, my parents just removed them and said they were dead

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I think I would have liked it better if my parents did that instead of just telling me not to play with the ones that made sound

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Ha, we told my nephew to quiet down and stop being a dinosaur when we visited the other day because his Godzilla noises were scaring my dog, and he started crying and said "but I don't want to be a human." I get you bud. He eventually settled for being quiet Godzilla and whispering his roars.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

And depart he has not. He's 13 now and I just showed him that I posted his picture. As I type this he is sitting next to me wearing one of his Christmas presents: a black Minus One t-shirt.

Last night, he started another of his presents, we signed him up for, a young filmmakers school. The kids were asked to introduce themselves and say their favorite movie. He said his was Minus One but that he generally thinks whatever new Godzilla movie is out is his favorite (this is untrue, but he said it more or less to emphasize how much of a Godzilla nerd he is).

I wish I could post a video I have of him at about five years old. He's watching Monster Zero on TV and as the battle rages he is stomping around the room mimicking the action, including roaring and smashing imaginary buildings. Coolest, most adorable freaking thing you've ever seen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s super sick. Making movies is the most fun thing in the world

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Minus One Minus Color is getting a US release!

https://x.com/godzilla_toho/status/1747657691198361677?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I have had this lil stuffed G since I can remember. I am about to turn 50, so let's say at least 45 years.

I went to the ER a couple months ago and the problem turned out to be bad enough that they said I'd be admitted for a few days. Called my husband and asked him to pack some stuff for me. Along with the clothes and phone charger and whatnot, he sweetly surprised me by packing Lil G so I wouldn't have to sleep alone.

I had some nurses thinking it was cute, and some giving me the side-eye for being a 50 yo lady with a stuffed Godzilla sharing the bed. gently caress the haters, bring your G with you when you need his support.

Dawgstar posted:

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 17, 2024