Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTz7RsPLkE8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMKbFbQWqFo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wow, they pronounce rtings as ratings.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I reject reality and will continue to say "arr tings"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is it not arrr tings?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
This is like the creator of gif saying it's djif. Just because you chose the name doesn't mean you get to decide it's pronounced incorrectly. It's artings.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Phosphine posted:

This is like the creator of gif saying it's djif. Just because you chose the name doesn't mean you get to decide it's pronounced incorrectly. It's artings.

I pronounce it "jizz". Stops any arguments or disagreements

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

well i may have messed up my corsair k100 by accidentally knocking my drink on it. i tried cleaning it as best as i could without taking it out and putting in some rubbing alcohol, which cleared up stuck keys but now some keys are setting off the switch next to it when i press down. i've unplugged it and hoping that letting it dry further will resolve the issue, but i think i might start looking at another keyboard as my main.

(hooray for this hobby meaning i have plenty back up keyboards to use)

i'm looking for a full size 100% keyboard with floating caps, media controls, and a knob. i haven't really seen anything that fits it exactly and tbh if the k100 is truly beyond saving and i need something soon then i will also settle for TKL, but would rather just go with a full size. i would prefer it to have a passthrough port too.

it'd be mainly used for gaming but i also do some video/image editing for fun once in a while and also writing. i like my keys to be clicky and would like to try the tactile bobas.

if there's nothing that really fits what i'm looking for i'm okay with going with a corsair and would probably just get a k70 since i realized i never really used the k100 special features (macro keys and the profile knob) but i also see that there's a k70 max which is twice the price of a regular k70 i guess because of the magnetic switches? i see steelseries also has a model with those features too.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

YerDa Zabam posted:

I pronounce it "jizz". Stops any arguments or disagreements

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Thanks to all in the thread for the recs a few weeks back, ended up picking up a Keychron Q5 from Amazon for my first mechanical keyboard experience and it's been a great time so far. Swapping out the keycaps finally showed me the light of how people can get so into this. Super satisfying putting the new caps on and feeling the weight and heft of the thing and then typing on it.

On that note, I got the Gateron red option after trying out some browns and not really "getting" it, but they feel a bit too light/smooth to press. I don't hate it per se, but I have a friend into mechanical keyboards who suggested Gateron milky yellow pros:

https://divinikey.com/products/gateron-ks-3-milky-yellow-pro-linear-switches

I believe the switch tester someone suggested I buy has one of these actually it's a Phantom Yellow and also a Gateron Oil King which feels pretty good. Frankly it's hard to tell the difference in actuation on just one switch. If I want a bit more "push" are the above switches a good buy or are there any other suggestions? And is it common to get a different switch with a higher actuation force for just the spacebar? I'm finding myself occasionally doing accidental double keypresses on the bar.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 18, 2024

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Is there a chance old keycap sets get a rerun? I’d probably give a kidney for something like nantucket selectric

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

LochNessMonster posted:

Is there a chance old keycap sets get a rerun? I’d probably give a kidney for something like nantucket selectric

Depends on how old they are, if you want official ones, and if so, who made the official ones.

That came out officially years ago, and since that was from Signature Plastics and had some unique keycaps, it's probably never going to run again because it's a whole hassle for them to set up to make them again since they were doubleshot.

I haven't looked at SP in ages because I've been out of the keyboard game for years, but they used to let you be able to order a standard keycap set in the profile of your choice with keycap and legend color of choice (based on the color swatches available at the time), and if you don't care about the unique legends, you could fake your way to something close enough. No idea if that's still a thing.

Beyond that, put out a WTB feeler post in the usual used mechanical keyboard spaces like r/mechmarket and be prepared to pay a premium, or see if there are any clones out there (they'll probably be dyesub instead of doubleshot).

mewse
May 2, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

Akko blue on white ASA is pretty close but also discontinued

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Gearman posted:

Straight into the deep end of the pool:

https://kbdfans.com/collections/odin/products/kbdfans-odin-mechanical-keyboard

You'll still need to buy switches, stabilizers, and keycaps, but they sell all of those, too.

gently caress that's kind of hot in purple

god drat it, I'm not buying it, I haven't even assembled my last keyboard purchase, but I'm loving tempted. purple with a gold badge would look insanely slick on my desk at work

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I've got an Odin v1 for my work machine, and it's loving amazing.

Mine's black with Metropolis r2 and Box Navies and I love it.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
I have been out of the mechanical keyboard game for years, and I am afraid of really diving back in to it because I'm sure things have changed immensely and I will buy everything.

And now it's time to replace my daily driver keyboard.

It's a 65% that's a cursed combination of being a RAMA M65-A that I ordered from Keyclack with brass plate and brass weight, so I guess it's a miracle I ever even got it. It's running a KBDfans DZ65 RGB V3 PCB, with Tecsee Purple Panda switches, and DSA Galaxy Class keycaps.

I keep forgetting to take myself off RAMA's mailing list, and like everyone else on the list, got the whiniest "I'm the victim here tho" email the other day that apparently also didn't address him not fulfilling GB orders for like 2 years or some poo poo, so that was basically my motivation to finally move on to a new keyboard, as I kind of want to use something fresh after using this for like 6 years.

What I'm looking for:

65% (which to my own admission is solely because I like having my keycaps set up that way with the contrasting arrows, even though I never use the arrow keys). I am not interested in 75% or TKL boards, as they aesthetically don't do it for me (and I have several of those already).

Heavy with chunky bezels. I want a keyboard that I don't have to worry about physically breaking; I want a keyboard that when people pick it up they ask why it's so heavy.

Hotswap

VIA support

I am not interested in a keyboard that has a knob/rotary encoder that replaces one of the keys on the right (without the option of using a switch in its place).

I was looking at the hibi.mx HIBIKI, because it ticks a lot of boxes of what I like (and I'm aware of the drama between them and rama), but I wanted to see if anybody had some other suggestions. Extra points if there is a matching macropad (I am currently also using a RAMA M6-A with an M6-C PCB that act as media controls and whatnot).

I also think I need to stop being a coward and finally start using linear switches. I usually use tactile, or box navies because if I'm going to be clicky, I might as be the most obnoxious about it. The last time I used linear switches I was doing some stupid poo poo where I had MX yellows with 100g springs in them. What's the current meta on nice sounding/feeling linears? I at least know there are tons of factory lubed switches out there now made from all sorts of stuff, and I'd like to try them out (and not have to lube switches myself).

Also as a side suggestion request/question:

Are there any other mechanical keyboards out there (ideally in the 60-75% size of normal form factor and layout) not made by Tex? Ideally with at least QMK support (although VIA is preferable).

My favorite travel/testing keyboard is still my Tex Yoda II, because it's really convenient to have a keyboard with a built-in pointing device, but that keyboard is really starting to get old and beat up.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 20, 2024

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Also as a side suggestion request/question:

Are there any other mechanical keyboards out there (ideally in the 60-75% size of normal form factor and layout) not made by Tex? Ideally with at least QMK support (although VIA is preferable).

My favorite travel/testing keyboard is still my Tex Yoda II, because it's really convenient to have a keyboard with a built-in pointing device, but that keyboard is really starting to get old and beat up.

Boy howdy do I have some news for you on the 65% front...it's far and away the most popular form factor in the hobby.

For something in-stock that checks your boxes, (pretty much every hobby-level board uses QMK/VIA these days) I'd check out any of these:

GOK Venn:
https://typeplus.net/products/in-stock-venn-65

A MODE Envoy (configurable with a bunch of different materials): https://modedesigns.com/products/envoy

Or my personal sleeper pick, the Babylon by Trailblazer:
https://trailblazerkeyboards.com/products/babylon

Also, if you like your current board, then you'll certainly love any HIBI board, because Kate designed the Rama boards and now designs her own boards as HIBI. Same great taste, without the unhinged emails and actually delivered in a reasonable amount of time.

As for linear switches, I think you'd really like Gateron Oil Kings as they're one of the best "out of the box" switches these days: https://cannonkeys.com/products/gateron-oil-king-linear-switch

Another excellent option is the Gateron Cream Soda. It's an out-of-the-box version of a popular frankenswitch that uses a long pole stem, and a Gateron Ink bottom. Personally, it is one of my absolute favorite switches. I highly recommend checking them out: https://keebhut.com/products/gateron-cream-soda

Both don't need to be lubed and feel incredibly smooth and sound great without needing to do any lubing or modding.

Gearman fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 21, 2024

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Gearman posted:

Boy howdy do I have some news for you on the 65% front...it's far and away the most popular form factor in the hobby.

For something in-stock that checks your boxes, (pretty much every hobby-level board uses QMK/VIA these days) I'd check out any of these:

GOK Venn:
https://typeplus.net/products/in-stock-venn-65

A MODE Envoy (configurable with a bunch of different materials): https://modedesigns.com/products/envoy

Or my personal sleeper pick, the Babylon by Trailblazer:
https://trailblazerkeyboards.com/products/babylon

Also, if you like your current board, then you'll certainly love any HIBI board, because Kate designed the Rama boards and now designs her own boards as HIBI. Same great taste, without the unhinged emails and actually delivered in a reasonable amount of time.

As for linear switches, I think you'd really like Gateron Oil Kings as they're one of the best "out of the box" switches these days: https://cannonkeys.com/products/gateron-oil-king-linear-switch

Another excellent option is the Gateron Cream Soda. It's an out-of-the-box version of a popular frankenswitch that uses a long pole stem, and a Gateron Ink bottom. Personally, it is one of my absolute favorite switches. I highly recommend checking them out: https://keebhut.com/products/gateron-cream-soda

Both don't need to be lubed and feel incredibly smooth and sound great without needing to do any lubing or modding.

Thank you for the suggestions! Yeah, back when I got my keyboard, 65% was considered like an oddball unstandardized size so people tended to shy away from it, and 60% was far more popular. I don't mind the 60% layout but I have enough of them, plus the aesthetics thing.

I will definitely give serious consideration to one (or more) of your keyboard suggestions, as well as order some of the switches you suggested. Kind of wild stepping back into things beyond email blasts and seeing how much the landscape has changed.

Are artisans still a big thing? I have a shitload from years ago from various makers, many of whom I'm sure no longer are in the game.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Yeah, artisans are bigger than ever. Most of the aftermarket prices have come way down, but it's still pretty difficult to get some of the more popular ones like Sirius and Bongos, and most of the really sought-after artisans are the ones made in the earlier days of the hobby.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I got the RAMA email, what’s the story? Is it just that he is better at design than actually running a company, and has had people turn on him for not sending out items?

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

well why not posted:

I got the RAMA email, what’s the story? Is it just that he is better at design than actually running a company, and has had people turn on him for not sending out items?

It's a bit messier than that. I'll copy/paste a comment made by Wilba of wilba.tech in a recent discussion thread on Reddit about that rama email. For context, Rama used to date a person named Kate, who worked at RAMA Works. Wilba is a PCB designer who used to do some work with RAMA Works, designing PCBs for several Rama products.

quote:

Hey Rama,

In 2021, while you were spending all your time shopping with your nepo baby friends, Kate was running your business for you, since you had no interest in doing it yourself. Even after you broke up, Kate kept working for RAMAWORKS until you made it impossible. She left and started HIBI so she could continue making things for the keyboard community. She started making metal keycaps and you started legal action, claiming she was using RAMAWORKS IP. You thought you could get Kate to shut down HIBI immediately with legal intimidation, and since she had done nothing wrong, she defended herself. The reason it has gone on this long is because you continued to spend way more money on a legal battle that would have benefitted you nothing if you won. It was always about punishing Kate.

There was no backstabbing. All Kate did was leave you and RAMAWORKS and start HIBI. Your lawyers subpoenaed every bit of communication she had with designers and vendors. There was a court trial. Your barrister went through text chats she had with vendors and designers. There was not a single bad word said about you or RAMAWORKS. There was not a single example of Kate telling someone not to work with you and to work with her instead. The accusation of stealing RAMAWORKS IP was reduced to an accusation of copying the dimensions of a keycap stem, as if it was confidential and proprietary, rather than an essential feature of a keycap that makes it fit on a switch.

You decided to fight in a court of law because you had money and you wanted to kill HIBI and hurt Kate. It was the legal action that caused your reputation to be tarnished. The act of suing Kate was an attempt to destroy her reputation and spread lies about her, along with causing her to suffer emotionally and financially. You say you have respectful silence, but you continue to post these lies about people bullying you. No one is bullying you. You just have a couple thousand customers waiting on products for two years. You have people calling you out on the lack of updates, while churning out new products that no one wants. People laughing about how delusional you are to think people want to buy your vanity projects is not bullying. Customers venting their anger is not bullying.

The legal battle with HIBI is irrelevant to RAMAWORKS obligations to its customers. Even if the judgement is in your favour, your customers do not care. Your reputation will not change, and no one will trust you enough to pre-order a RAMAWORKS product ever again.

Your loving around phase is over, you’re in the finding out phase now.

Wilba

People in general have been unhappy with how Rama has been trying to play the victim for years, and give the outward appearance of a struggling business owner, but on social media was posting pictures of his new girlfriend, the designer fashion they were buying and wearing, and his McLaren 765LT he bought. He put the blame on being unable to fulfill orders on everyone and everything but himself, until eventually he just stopped shifting blame and just went to ignoring (his IG has had comments turned off for a long time now).

There was some other stuff not mentioned, including reports that Rama had people brigade discussion threads about him on Reddit, Rama filing DMCA claims against HIBI.mx on social media platforms to try and get them suspended, and preemptively blocking customers from social media so they could not voice concerns about products they were still waiting on (eventually leading to comments on social media being turned off entirely).

Also as expected, the many people who have hundreds or even thousands of dollars tied up in products that may or may not ever show up didn't appreciate getting Rama's "New Year's Message" email.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 21, 2024

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

wow what a dong. I like his work but probs won’t ever buy from there. Mystified who would buy a keyboard company jumpsuit tbh

well why not fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 21, 2024

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

What was the email that they sent?

I’ve always liked the aestethic of their keebs but the price is way above what I’m willing to part with for one.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I got an Epomaker x Leobog Hi75 with Graywood V3s recently after not really loving my Keychron K3 with Gateron browns and it's crazy how fun this thing is to type on. My only complaint is the keycaps are opaque so the LEDs don't shine through. It feels like there isn't much point to the LEDs if they don't shine through the caps. Anyone have recommendations for shine-through caps? I was looking at these: https://mechboards.co.uk/collections/featured-keycaps/products/143-piece-pudding-keycaps-ansi-iso?variant=41354164568269

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 21, 2024

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

What was the email that they sent?

I’ve always liked the aestethic of their keebs but the price is way above what I’m willing to part with for one.

He published it on the blog: https://rama.works/blog

People have been selling their RAMA boards for below retail at this point, but it's still in the $300 range. I ended up picking up a U80 that way so that I wasn't giving RAMA any of my money.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone have experience with these things - https://www.etsy.com/listing/1201276521/

I don’t have the money or justification to go for something like a loupedeck, but this price point isn’t so bad if they work well. Ideally I want to just be able to use it to control Lightroom and FinalCut on my Mac as long as those dials are nice to use. The reviews seem promising.

Also given it’s all essentially unbranded Chinese stuff, I’m not sure if getting from this dude on Etsy is the best way so if the exact same thing is cheaper elsewhere please feel free to share a link.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 22, 2024

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Looks like a Megalodon resale: https://drop.com/buy/megalodon-triple-knob-macro-pad?defaultSelectionIds=983004

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yup looks identical for sure, shame the price isn’t better but maybe shipping will be faster and looks like a bunch more info about it on that link. Thanks

E: $10 discount too for new users, so actually does come a little cheaper.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

They are also available on AliExpress for $50 + shipping if you want to save a bit more.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I was just looking at these a week or so ago. Been using a 65% as my daily for a few months and was curious about adding a macro pad.

Ended up just grabbing an Epomaker EK21 to play around with and see if will get any actual use out of it.

So far no, because I always forget it exists. But I'm down with the idea and am going to keep chasing it.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Building boards again lately. Budget build here, premium build next week (or whenever mail from China arrives).

Sense75
Holy Pandas
Soyamilk Clone

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Hey thread, looking for a keyboard recommendation after one of our kittens destroyed my Corsair Strafe recently.

Criteria
  • Use Case: 60% office & 40% gaming
  • Must include number pad
  • Cherry MX Silent or equivalent switches
Is there anything readily available on the market that meets those criteria?

I picked up a Corsair K95 RGB Platinum XT with MX Speed Silver switches but it is far too loud & annoying, it's getting returned to Microcenter this weekend.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
boba 62/68 pack finally left htown postal service hell, 62s feel great and i'm gonna replace the glorious pandas with them.

wife saw me looking at kbs on amazon and saw a "retro" board, she's happy with a keychron k8 w/g pro yellow 3.0 and definitely does not like cherry blues

thanks, assholes

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

denereal visease posted:

Hey thread, looking for a keyboard recommendation after one of our kittens destroyed my Corsair Strafe recently.

Criteria
  • Use Case: 60% office & 40% gaming
  • Must include number pad
  • Cherry MX Silent or equivalent switches
Is there anything readily available on the market that meets those criteria?

I picked up a Corsair K95 RGB Platinum XT with MX Speed Silver switches but it is far too loud & annoying, it's getting returned to Microcenter this weekend.

when you say number pad do you mean a full-size 100% keyboard, or would you be fine with something that condenses the layout like a 96% or 1800 would? if you're looking for a full-size board, as far as i know keychron is the only one that makes a full sized hotswappable pcb, so you can put in whatever switches you want. i don't know if anything has improved over the years but it was suggested to get them through amazon or a third party retailer so you wouldn't have to deal with keychron customer service as it was notoriously bad.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I've been eyeing the Megalodon 38% for a little while and I'm wondering if anyone here has one or one of its sibling products to offer an opinion.
https://www.keebmonkey.com/products/megalodon-doio-triple-knob-38-keyboard-with-oled-screen

It's basically all the keys my Moonlander is missing which is exactly what I want when playing simulators with a lot of inputs, and while there were apparently some early firmware issues it seems to be supported by QMK, VIA, etc. these days. Seems like the main complaint is that the key spacing is tight enough that it can be hard to remove caps without taking apart the case, which is an annoyance to be sure but I'm not exactly the kind of person who's swapping regularly.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utfWy4v5ehs
Just don't watch the stock typing video clips too closely

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

mewse posted:

I don’t think you pre-order from mk.com unless you’re fine with waiting for months

I've been watching their alleged shipment status of their Ducky One 3s, and they keep pushing the date out. So yeah... Should I just order a One 2 from them instead? Unless there's a reason to use a 3 over a 2?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the one 2 isn't hotswappable so you're stuck with the switches it comes with, hotswap was added with the one 3

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

EoRaptor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utfWy4v5ehs
Just don't watch the stock typing video clips too closely

IDK why this thing's been linked around so much other than to troll people in to keyboards considering how much straight wrong stuff is in it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

repiv posted:

the one 2 isn't hotswappable so you're stuck with the switches it comes with, hotswap was added with the one 3

Ahh alright, I suppose I'll wait it out. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
re: RAMAworks

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxqNWjihC7gXDNS1sAVSCzka_4IkIMXqlE?si=PCPJkv2PapcewGGV