Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I thought the US MLS was doing pretty well? Everytime I watched (3-4 times over last year) the stadiums were full and people seemed into it.

It's small potatoes compared to the big 4 sports, but it's vibrant IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My "smart watch" keeps resetting its watch face and notification alarms settings. I don't even wear it anymore due to that. What a waste of money.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Cerekk posted:

The US has a pro soccer league which I think is technically profitable? It is just a distant 6th or 7th place in popularity.

They've got a dual problem breaking through--they're not popular, so the best athletes in the US play something else; and when they do convert someone to soccer fandom, some of those fans end up following better leagues. But it is growing, especially among young people, so it will probably eventually be a genuine success, especially as high school football continues to decline. Turns out the whole CTE thing makes some parents hesitant to let their kids play football.

i thought MLS was a pyramid scheme that survives by adding new teams?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

redshirt posted:

I thought the US MLS was doing pretty well? Everytime I watched (3-4 times over last year) the stadiums were full and people seemed into it.

It's small potatoes compared to the big 4 sports, but it's vibrant IMO.

Here in Orlando we have Orlando City Soccer and they seem to do okay, full stadiums, lots of people and all that. I don't go myself very often and tickets are pretty cheap or free from the radio, but people wear the merch and go nuts over it so I guess that's nice. It definitely makes money, at least here.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

wash bucket posted:

On what planet does this convince people to pay them a monthly subscription?

It will. There are people who still use the cluster gently caress that is streaming services because stealing is "too hard". Not only that but there people who act like ad blockers are just too difficult better to pay! (see the youtube thread that was in GBS). Yep.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Outrail posted:

Sounds like you need to smoke a doob and chill out maaaaaaaaannn

Would love to but I really like my pilots license

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Turned on my PC and it looks like Windows 11 installed some AI bullshit on my taskbar I can't get rid of. Love it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You have to have a stable online connection to do any work in Office anymore. It’s awful

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Time_pants posted:

Turned on my PC and it looks like Windows 11 installed some AI bullshit on my taskbar I can't get rid of. Love it.

You can turn it off if you go to the taskbar settings, thankfully.

euphronius posted:

You have to have a stable online connection to do any work in Office anymore. It’s awful

You can use it offline if you pirate Office, thankfully.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
An Ad told me Dall-3 is free in Copilot so hey, I might finally do some AI manmade horrors

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
after applying 1 million registry hacks my windows 11 could finally be called "usable" if im being generous

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The windows thing they did recently I don't understand is making it impossible to move folders up a level or two by dragging them to the address bar. I'm not quite sure how to explain it, but...

Before if I wanted to move the selected folder into Photos, I could just drag it to the 'Photos' folder in the address bar. Yes, the folder is also in the sidebar, but for things like Artist > Album, things with hierarchies of folders, it was handy. Now you can't do it anymore, for... some reason. It's not even a Windows 11 thing originally, they changed it like 2 months ago.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Rochallor posted:

The windows thing they did recently I don't understand is making it impossible to move folders up a level or two by dragging them to the address bar. I'm not quite sure how to explain it, but...

Before if I wanted to move the selected folder into Photos, I could just drag it to the 'Photos' folder in the address bar. Yes, the folder is also in the sidebar, but for things like Artist > Album, things with hierarchies of folders, it was handy. Now you can't do it anymore, for... some reason. It's not even a Windows 11 thing originally, they changed it like 2 months ago.

I noticed that, too. The folder names used to seamlessly switch from buttons to a text field and acted like desktop folders. Yeah, that's all gone now.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Miss the days when you could play a game offline and not have to download the new 8gb update to play it if I didn't want to.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Miss the days when you could play a game offline and not have to download the new 8gb update to play it if I didn't want to.

Agreed. I was actually a late adopter to Steam because I was very very against the "you have to be online" thing in general. I mean I still am and I know that someday Steam will no longer exist and therefore none of the games I own will exist since I have no physical instance of it.

Game sizes in general loving suck now.

I'm not certain but I'd imagine 1TB is the standard size HD shipped with a consumer computer now and a single new game can be over 10% of that (not including OS and other software). Any time I install a game I have to go through and uninstall anything I think I might not use for a while. My C:\ drive is always in the red these days.

I used to play Insurgency Sandstorm for quite a while and then they recently sent out like a 15-20GB update which was half the size of the game. I uninstalled it before the update.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Agreed. I was actually a late adopter to Steam because I was very very against the "you have to be online" thing in general. I mean I still am and I know that someday Steam will no longer exist and therefore none of the games I own will exist since I have no physical instance of it.

I'm not certain but I'd imagine 1TB is the standard size HD shipped with a consumer computer now and a single new game can be over 10% of that (not including OS and other software). Any time I install a game I have to go through and uninstall anything I think I might not use for a while. My C:\ drive is always in the red these days.

I used to play Insurgency Sandstorm for quite a while and then they recently sent out like a 15-20GB update which was half the size of the game. I uninstalled it before the update.

Yup. The trend is NVME drives and while those can top out at 1-2TB now, if that's all your storage you're gonna fill it up fast if you want to play more than a couple current games. Starfield is 150GB, MFS, Forza, BG3, and Warzone are all about that much. I have to be very choosy with what gets SSD space and what doesn't, since some games will not function on a spinner at all and they mean it when they say it's required.

This results in making tough choices, but also easy choices, like uninstalling Starfield :v:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Oh, funny you should mention this.

Ubisoft Wants You To Become More Comfortable With Not Owning Your Games

GameSpot posted:

Ubisoft has described its vision for the future of its rebranded subscription service Ubisoft+ and how it expects to grow it if it can convince consumers to change their mindset toward playing video games. Like movies and music available on streaming services, Ubisoft wants its subscribers to become more comfortable with not owning their games outright.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:shepface:

Welp, my fears of a decade ago are becoming realized.

edit: 2011 was when I first got steam apparently. And it was another 2 years before I bought another game in 2013.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 17, 2024

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I'm already very comfortable with never owning any Ubisoft games, so mission accomplished I guess

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I don’t think I can possibly be any more comfortable not owning Ubisoft games I do pay for gamepass and only own a couple of the games I’ve played on it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There was a real story some years ago when Amazon pulled legally purchased copies of 1984 from people's Kindles due to a dispute with the publisher. Everyone was refunded, but the idea of a megacorp taking back a book that I had purchased without consent convinced me that I'll never consider an electronic purchase an actual purchase, but just a form of rental.

If I really want to own it, I buy the physical copy.

Also, ask me about my giant library!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Yup. The trend is NVME drives and while those can top out at 1-2TB now, if that's all your storage you're gonna fill it up fast if you want to play more than a couple current games. Starfield is 150GB, MFS, Forza, BG3, and Warzone are all about that much. I have to be very choosy with what gets SSD space and what doesn't, since some games will not function on a spinner at all and they mean it when they say it's required.

This results in making tough choices, but also easy choices, like uninstalling Starfield :v:

Good games tend to be smaller than bad games so I don't run into this problem often. Well that's not true I do but that's because I'm lazy and don't tend to delete stuff. Now if they were talking about videos I'd understand. I think I'm gonna get some more 18tb harddrives to shove into my nas.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 17, 2024

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

redshirt posted:

There was a real story some years ago when Amazon pulled legally purchased copies of 1984 from people's Kindles due to a dispute with the publisher. Everyone was refunded, but the idea of a megacorp taking back a book that I had purchased without consent convinced me that I'll never consider an electronic purchase an actual purchase, but just a form of rental.

If I really want to own it, I buy the physical copy.

Also, ask me about my giant library!

:hmmyes:

I tried ebooks on my kindle but they just sucked. The page numbers of every single book were off from the table of contents which annoyed me to no end. It's page 23 in the table of contents, but page 32 in the app. That doesn't help me at all.

The fact that they can take back what I bought, despite the refund, is offensive. If I buy a book, I really don't give a poo poo about copyrights or your business deals with publishers and distributors. I want to read the god drat book that I paid for. If they wanted to take it back after I bought a physical copy from a bookstore then they'd have to send out forceful goons. And that'd be pretty ironic if the book was 1984.

And yeah.... I have a library that has grown off of the shelves and started piling up on the floor. However, that's almost certainly because I'm extremely depressed and lazy.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I bought RDR2 near launch and it was ages before I could play it because I was on crappy Internet at the time and they were pushing out giant patches faster than I could download them. I don't see Steam going away but I still buy games on GOG when possible simply because they don't make you patch them.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Dip Viscous posted:

I bought RDR2 near launch and it was ages before I could play it because I was on crappy Internet at the time and they were pushing out giant patches faster than I could download them. I don't see Steam going away but I still buy games on GOG when possible simply because they don't make you patch them.

Thanks for that reminder. I loved the game but I straight up could not play it for the first few months that I owned it. Crashes made it impossible.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah I was kinda pissed in 2004/5 when I got HL2 on Steam because I was still on dialup. Luckily they supported offline and didn't do some Scrum waterfall poo poo where every git push is synced with me for multiple GB every week.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I don't use Steam although I have a gift card that I need to spend on it. I have GOG and Game Pass. I was actually playing Forza the other day and my Internet went out and the game kicked me out of the race I was in and said nothing would be saved because I was offline. I was like god drat, I'm playing single player.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
You know what's getting shittier is my ability to piss.

Lately I've been having this issue where, no matter how strong my urine stream is, there are like little spits and sputters of piss that shoot out the button of my dickhole and go EVERYWHERE. It's especially bad if my stream is weak -- it's like a fuckin fire suppression sprinkler, just piss going everywhere. But even on a strong stream, I'll have a solid rope of piss from dick to toilet, no problem, and yet still from the bottom of my dick goes drip drip spit sputter

I have to sit down to piss, which isn't really an issue because I kind of picked this habit up anyway, but I hate that I have to now, in order to not make a fuckin mess.

:nws:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love sitting down now. Zero stress

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

credburn posted:

Lately I've been having this issue where, no matter how strong my urine stream is, there are like little spits and sputters of piss that shoot out the button of my dickhole and go EVERYWHERE. It's especially bad if my stream is weak -- it's like a fuckin fire suppression sprinkler, just piss going everywhere. But even on a strong stream, I'll have a solid rope of piss from dick to toilet, no problem, and yet still from the bottom of my dick goes drip drip spit sputter

I have to sit down to piss, which isn't really an issue because I kind of picked this habit up anyway, but I hate that I have to now, in order to not make a fuckin mess.

Put this post in the hall of fame

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The Coachella lineup this year suuuuucks

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

euphronius posted:

Hell yeah!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

credburn posted:

It's leprosy.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
It looks like the Targets ive been to in both the rich and the poor zip codes have gone absolutely nuts with putting everything behind security panels. Phone cases, detergents, toothpaste, underwear, every single thing. Of course you use the little summoning button and nobody shows up, and when you do flag down an employee they dont have the keys with them about half the time.

Some googling redditing suggests its semi-organized thieves reselling items on amazon/facebook marketplace or something? Its supremely annoying and its stupid just how many items are behind glass now.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

euphronius posted:

redshirt posted:

Hell yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQXUd4Fku2E

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

buglord posted:

It looks like the Targets ive been to in both the rich and the poor zip codes have gone absolutely nuts with putting everything behind security panels. Phone cases, detergents, toothpaste, underwear, every single thing. Of course you use the little summoning button and nobody shows up, and when you do flag down an employee they dont have the keys with them about half the time.

Some googling redditing suggests its semi-organized thieves reselling items on amazon/facebook marketplace or something? Its supremely annoying and its stupid just how many items are behind glass now.

It’s other shrink being conflated with theft shrink.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/18/business/retail-shoplifting-shrink-walgreens/index.html

A big part of it is that many retailers have bifurcated pricing now. The shelf price is high and then they deeply discount just before new inventory arrives. Think the l buy two get three free sales of twelve packs of soda with a shelf price of $10.

This discounting is “merchandising” and it’s getting lumped in with other types of theft.

The other thing going on is that they have severely been understaffed and have been doing things like skipping full annual inventories and they’re finally getting staffed enough to do those again. So they’re finding the real time electronic inventory tracking systems they’ve been trusting suck and finding out about several years of missed shrink all at once.

There is combination of they don’t realize all this is going on (because algorithms are doing the bifurcated pricing) and looking to shift blame for years of mistakes during the pandemic.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

:hmmyes:

I tried ebooks on my kindle but they just sucked. The page numbers of every single book were off from the table of contents which annoyed me to no end. It's page 23 in the table of contents, but page 32 in the app. That doesn't help me at all.

an e-paper kindle and amazon ebooks were lifesavers when I was taking 4 300/500 and 400/600 history classes a semester and wanted to buy a bunch of readers for cheaper than the paperbacks at the bookstore, didn't want to go looking around town, and just generally didn't need anymore books on the shelf; but citing them sucked rear end because I had to put in the edition and digital format because of the pagination.
I definitely had a couple markdowns for citations on A/A+ papers that I had to contest with the kindle on me to prove that I wasn't just making poo poo up, because it was like 4 pages off and the prof couldn't find it.
Saved me a shitload of money though, especially because those classes are like 90-100% throwaway readers.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

I stopped playing games around New Vegas. Just completely lost interest around then after being a "gamer" since age 6 when I got my first computer, it had been waning for years around then as I didn't like online play, but after New Vegas, which was good, I haven't bought another game since I believe.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It’s other shrink being conflated with theft shrink.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/18/business/retail-shoplifting-shrink-walgreens/index.html

A big part of it is that many retailers have bifurcated pricing now. The shelf price is high and then they deeply discount just before new inventory arrives. Think the l buy two get three free sales of twelve packs of soda with a shelf price of $10.

This discounting is “merchandising” and it’s getting lumped in with other types of theft.

The other thing going on is that they have severely been understaffed and have been doing things like skipping full annual inventories and they’re finally getting staffed enough to do those again. So they’re finding the real time electronic inventory tracking systems they’ve been trusting suck and finding out about several years of missed shrink all at once.

There is combination of they don’t realize all this is going on (because algorithms are doing the bifurcated pricing) and looking to shift blame for years of mistakes during the pandemic.

...wait so things aren't selling until an algorithm marks it down just before it rots (to pre-pandemic prices I'm guessing) and that makes them think they're being stolen from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
This is a weird one, but I just got one of those spam "Hot woman in YOUR AREA!" emails. Except this one was "With the WAR II UKRAINE going on, many people have been displaced. Up to 80,000 people have left Ukraine for your country. Do you want to BANG hot Ukrainian refugees? Click below to see these sad, HORNY ladies with no home!"

They somehow made spam emails worse.