Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Highlander indeed kicks rear end. The worst thing about the sequels and spinoffs is that each and every one of them everyone fails to capture what is good about the first film.

I'd be okay if the sequels were similar but lesser, but they all just feel like they're from an entirely different franchise. There's a beautiful sweet gentleness to the first film, which makes the raw grit of the Kurgan and 80s New York work so well in contrast. Where is the "run along the beach and feel the heartbeat of a deer" scene in any of the other entries? The connectedness to nature and empathy for life aspect feels like it never carried on.

I know that there are other franchises that betray the spirit of the first film far more, and Highlander is far from unique in this way. It's probably just lightning jn a bittle that can't be recaptured, but the first film is so uniquely its own fascinating thing that it's a real bummer everything that came after kinda missed the point so completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Highlander 2 is fascinating though. You at least have to give them credit for doing something totally different. I don’t think I’ve seen the theatrical cut which is supposed to be far more incoherent than the director’s cut, but even the “Renegade Version” is insane.

Also I totally forgot it’s set in 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm not even sure how you do a sequel to a movie that ends with the main character basically becoming god

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That is what prequels are for.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to Observe and Report last night and I thought it was hilarious. It's a dark film, no way around that, so I kind of get why it flopped as badly as it did. It also made the mistake of following Paul Blart back in 2009 so people probably just thought it was similar and wrote it off. Also, the cast is kind of nuts in hindsight. I guess Jody Hill was riding high after Superbad and people wanted to get in on the next one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jody Hill didn’t make Superbad. Jody Hill came from The Footfist Way with Danny McBride. It’s amazing you should check that out next.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Jody Hill didn’t make Superbad. Jody Hill came from The Footfist Way with Danny McBride. It’s amazing you should check that out next.
I could've sworn he had a credit on Superbad somewhere. My mistake!

Edit:
:lmao: Apparently he had a bit role as "Tut Long John Silver" in Superbad so his IMDB page says he's known for it too.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 16, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lol

Yeah Jody got noticed by will Ferrell which led to Danny mcbride ending up in a lot of movies around that time.

Thank god for that

Watch the Footfist way though. And obviously all his shows if you haven’t.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Safety Factor posted:

I could've sworn he had a credit on Superbad somewhere. My mistake!

Edit:
:lmao: Apparently he had a bit role as "Tut Long John Silver" in Superbad so his IMDB page says he's known for it too.

Isn't he the guy who spots the period stain on Jonah Hills pants?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Watch the Footfist way though. And obviously all his shows if you haven’t.
Yeah, I've seen all of his shows though I need to catch up a bit on Righteous Gemstones. I had been meaning to watch Observe and Report for a while, but I didn't know about Footfist. I'll check it out.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

CelticPredator posted:

Jody Hill came from The Footfist Way with Danny McBride. It’s amazing you should check that out next.

It's apparently a fine film, but it made Danny McBride into a weird form of character actor and it only works half the time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Danny mcbride is my hero. But I do need to see his other films like Arizona. Even if it’s bad. I just gotta see it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

CelticPredator posted:

Danny mcbride is my hero. But I do need to see his other films like Arizona. Even if it’s bad. I just gotta see it

Arizona is proof that

Bright Bart posted:

It's apparently a fine film, but it made Danny McBride into a weird form of character actor and it only works half the time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Not going to lie - I'm kinda hype for the Highlander reboot staring Henry Cavill and directed by Chad Stahelski.

I just want to hoot and holler while Henry Cavill swings a sword and decapitates guys on the big screen.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Watching the shirtless exercise scenes in Fearless Hyena, I think Jackie Chan has extra muscles. He’ll flex his arm in a weird way and suddenly he’s got an extra set of triceps or something.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Bright Bart posted:

Danny McBride becoming one sort of guy when the first time I remember seeing him is in All The Real Girls (because Jody, Danny, and David Gordon Green I believe are all college friends, if not even older friends than that?) is very weird.

It’s sort of like watching Michael Shannon become known for INTENSE and HARD when you see him in The Woodsman and he is just playing the kindest, most patient therapist of all time in that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Cameo posted:

Danny McBride becoming one sort of guy when the first time I remember seeing him is in All The Real Girls (because Jody, Danny, and David Gordon Green I believe are all college friends, if not even older friends than that?) is very weird.

It’s sort of like watching Michael Shannon become known for INTENSE and HARD when you see him in The Woodsman and he is just playing the kindest, most patient therapist of all time in that.

Michael Shannons weirdest role like that is probably in The Night Before as the weed dealer but he absolutely nails it. I think that role might also be closest to his real life persona

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Cameo posted:

Zoey Daschnel in All The Real Girls compared to Zoey Daschnel in The New Girl is also incredibly weird.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Cameo posted:

Really underrated movie and yeah ground zero for a lot of great actors. Shea Whigham is so young in it!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Michael Shannons weirdest role like that is probably in The Night Before as the weed dealer but he absolutely nails it. I think that role might also be closest to his real life persona

i like him as the evidence locker guy who gets pushed around by Nick Cage in Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

edit: ah poo poo got the wrong guy who got pushed around by Nick Cage in Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

edit: ah poo poo got the wrong guy who got pushed around by Nick Cage in Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans

that’s fair, he pushes around a lot of people in that movie

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Michael Shannon wasn't particularly weird in Pottersville, but it's an extremely weird movie for him. It's the straight to VOD Christmas movie where he's a shopkeeper in a small town that's drying up and then he discovers his wife (Christina Hendricks) is having an affair with the local sheriff (Ron Pearlman), so he goes on a drunken rampage in a gillie suit that is mistaken for a Bigfoot sighting and brings in mad tourist bucks. There's also Ian McShane, Tom Lennon, Judy Greer, and a subplot about furries.

It ends up being kind of a dull movie, which is maybe the most insane thing about it.

edit also produced by Patty Hearst???

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The thing I remember about that movie was thinking "wait, it's not a tie-in to It's A Wonderful Life?"

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The best part about Pottersville is when Michael Shannon walks in on Christina Hendricks hugging Ron Perlman in fursuits (it’s nothing sexual) and Michael Shannon says “what’s a furry?”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I love Michael Shannon popping up in Groundhog Day and absolutely losing his poo poo over Wrestlemania tickets.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Michael Shannon walks in on Christina Hendricks hugging Ron Perlman in fursuits (it’s nothing sexual)

I don’t believe you.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Gripweed posted:

I don’t believe you.

It’s a repeated statement throughout the film that the furry thing isn’t sexual. Pottersville is a very weird movie.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What ever happened to that Logan's Run remake?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Really underrated movie and yeah ground zero for a lot of great actors. Shea Whigham is so young in it!
He's so good in Vice Principals and it was fun seeing him play a tiny weird role on rightious gem stones as an ancient old man in make up for no reason. It's great

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

It ends up being kind of a dull movie, which is maybe the most insane thing about it.

This is Pottersville in a nutshell. It's a completely insane mix of ingredients and renders them all into what is basically a knock off Hallmark film. It's fascinating.

Like it has an entire thing about furries, but dulls them down into a weird club of people that wear animal costumes and like to hug in the woods. Nothing sexual.

I wonder if it was ever intended to be a raunchier, wilder film or if it was always PG.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jackie Chan also kills a chicken in Fearless Hyena II.

He’s gotta have the record for most famous actor to have actually killed birds on screen, right?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I do not understand how this movie is a sequel to Fearless Hyena.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm willing to bet a lot of birds died in The Birds

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I wasn't really impressed with either of the Fearless Hyena movies. The fight where Chan was pretending to be mentally disabled in the first one was pretty fantastic, but it had a lot fewer highlights than Spiritual Kung Fu and nothing like the finale of Half a Loaf of Kung Fu.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm willing to bet a lot of birds died in The Birds

Maybe, but Tippi Hedron doesn't kill any of them and even if he does have a cameo in almost all his movies I'd hesitate to call Hitchcock an actor.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Failed Imagineer posted:

Isn't he the guy who spots the period stain on Jonah Hills pants?

The actor who period stained him, Jen Kirkman, accidentally started #metoo. Fun ... ish fact

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Peccadillo posted:

The actor who period stained him, Jen Kirkman, accidentally started #metoo. Fun ... ish fact

That’s Carla gallo. I don’t think Jen kirkman is in Superbad

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I'd believe Michael Shannon is 67 years old if you told me.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

DeimosRising posted:

That’s Carla gallo. I don’t think Jen kirkman is in Superbad

Yeh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3S0h3yzueE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Bright Bart posted:

I'd believe Michael Shannon is 67 years old if you told me.

Bug is one of my favourite movies. Him and Ashley Judd in a hotel room goin' nuts