Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I have just gotten caught back up after Christmas, I was a little down on the Camp Utopia episode but the last two episodes pulled me right back in, the whole cast is great but Jennifer Jason Leigh, John Hamm and Juno Temple are all killing it.

"No daughter of mine..." :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

ChesterJT posted:

Yeah that's where I'm at. I'm just sick of anything to do with Trump. The people who hate him and can't stop mentioning him daily are just as obnoxious as the people out protesting on his behalf saying he's the second coming. I'd rather just not hear his name or anything about him and Hawley is using a show I really like to take dumb jabs at him to score lowest common denominator points I guess because I don't find the inclusion useful to the story or meaningful in any way. I don't expect everyone to feel the same though and everything is so good it's more of a minor annoyance than anything.

I can see your point to a degree. But it's a pretty light swipe and this is absolutely the type of person that would get enamored with Trump. A constitutionalist who's distrustful of the government and believes the fed has limited power over them gravitates towards a president who sows distrust in federal agencies and much of the power structure. They could have avoided the Trump stuff altogether.....but in the end.....they were minor "jokes" and weren't shoehorned in every other scene.

Anyways.....this season is rivaling the first......which I didn't expect. It's pretty fantastic.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Yeah really surprised to see the other guy say 1 was his last favorite. Madness!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

My only observation with S1 is that it does play the most similar to the movie, plot wise. S2 feels more wholly like it's own thing, which is why I put it on a pedestal. But S1 is enough of it's own thing that it very, very much is not just a remake.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Season 1 has a lot of soul in some of the asides, B plots, and vignettes.

The ones that jump out immediately are The Man Who Gave Everything and Bob Odenkirk's foster son, but I think every episode has something that sticks with you and makes you think.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

From what I remember S1 seems like it might be doing a Breaking Bad rip-off "this suburban guy is DONE getting poo poo on!" at first that feels kind of lame before you realize the show is absolutely not going to be sympathetic to Martin Freeman.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tender Bender posted:

From what I remember S1 seems like it might be doing a Breaking Bad rip-off "this suburban guy is DONE getting poo poo on!" at first that feels kind of lame before you realize the show is absolutely not going to be sympathetic to Martin Freeman.

BB wasn't sympathetic to Walter White either

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

BB wasn't sympathetic to Walter White either

Right, I meant to say that it felt like it was trying to cash on on the popularity among people who didn't get it and thought it was just badass

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I've always felt like Cohen Bros work (I haven't seen all of it, mind you) is about average shlubs getting in over their head. If we focus this in on the Fargo series, you've got Martin Freeman, Jesse Plemons, Ewan McGregor, and Jason Schwartzman as the primary schlubs with a few secondary shlubs sharing the spotlight here and there. I'd even entertain argument that other characters were supposed to be the primary shlub of their respective season; the diverse ensemble casts make it easy to do so.

Season 5, however, is completely spinning out of this pattern because Dot is supposed to be the shlub when she is, instead, the tiger. I remember thinking during episode 1 that maybe Wayne is supposed to be this season's shlub and I wondered how he would get involved. If anything, Witt Farr and Indira are kinda supposed to get in over their heads but they don't really, not nearly as much as Dot does. So despite the season being a return to form for a series that aired one of the greatest seasons of television ever, it has done so while spinning the structure it's typically molded to.

I don't really have a point to any of this, just a thought I wanted to put out there.

BTW I liked this post. Really good eye on Lorraine's nuance!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

If you needed to pick one, Tillman is kind of a schlub who's gotten over his head. Gator definitely is one.

Big thru lines we do still have:
- A smaller crime (kidnapping) leads to a bunch of chaos and dead bodies
- A local cop correctly identifies what's going on but can't convince people in power until the end of the season
- The cops in a position of power are inept and are un-estimating the threat
- Supernaturally skilled bad guy

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I don't know if one should have to root for something specific in a finale, but I am hoping we see a Trumpy Bear doll in the last episode.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Wouldn’t that be accurately measuring the threat?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Roy is an absolute monster but on balance Lorraine probably causes way more suffering than he does. It's just abstracted and at a remove

like she hasn't murdered or beaten or sexually abused anyone but she pounces on people when they're down and extracts what little wealth they have without pity. and she does this at scale.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Coen movies, along with their cousins A Simple Plan (their then friend doing a similar movie) and Pain and Gain (Coens filtered through Bay excess) are slightly more about heists/greed gone wrong than idiots over their head, but it's a huge crossover. Nobody was really dumb in No Country or True Grit, while everyone is dumb in Ladykillers and Burn After Reading.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
What a loving masterpiece.

Juno Temple absolutely amazing

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
what a finale

Minnesota nice

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Having not seen the end yet, I'm hoping for slow, painful, and degrading for Roy.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

holy poo poo, this sequence with munch

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fancy stats posted:

holy poo poo, this sequence with munch

Yeah, it loving owned.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

i loving love this :allears:

he needs better dinner party stories though

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Wasn't nearly as explosive as a finale as I was expecting, instead much more about the denouement. But it was more than worth it to have Munch stay for chili and biscuits.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
A really happy ending for Fargo. Two good, but expendable characters died, and the supernatural immortal warrior learns love through biscuits.

Not sure how I feel about Lorraine's story. In 2024 it may be cathartic to have the Trumpy sheriff get got by the more financially powerful arm of the Republican party, but I expect it's not going to age well. Particularly the stuff about paying off prisoners to partake in prison beatings and rape, that's already in poor taste.

Great season.

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

that was a cool season

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Great season of television.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So wait, you're telling me that when Carla Jean ran into Chigurh at the end of No Country, that she could have just played coy with his coin toss and just offered him some food and all would have gone well?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Absolutely nailed the landing. Loved it, so, so much.

Fargo treats violence better than almost any other show. I loved that we saw basically none of the fire fight. All the wannabe warriors are robbed their glorious last stand.

And then Munch being defeated by learning to eat a biscut made with love and 'Minnesota Nice' hospitality. It's such a wonderful, wonderful juxtaposition.

Will have to sit with it awhile, but easily my favorite season the show's done since 2. I think I liked it better than 1. Noah Hawley you beautiful bastard you.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
who knew the true hero of fargo s5 would be ole munch

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

yeah that last ep made this season

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i liked how the minnesota hospitality fits in with him symbolically and literally cast out of his society and covered in filth and denied domesticity and here they kinda reverse that, offer him a drink, clean his hands, share alcohol with him, and feed him out of their hands.

all in all great season, great finale, lessened only by the tired prison rape bullshit. come on it's 2024

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Farr should've dropped Tillman's knife for him, but that wouldn't have allowed for the reveal of the eventual capture so :shrug:.

Also, I'm only 22 minutes in? :aaaaa:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Shitenshi posted:

So wait, you're telling me that when Carla Jean ran into Chigurh at the end of No Country, that she could have just played coy with his coin toss and just offered him some food and all would have gone well?

Munch and Chigurh are fundamentally different creatures

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Weird talking weird hair man. Same same.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Munch did ice a gas station teen armed with nothing but an air horn.

But I can buy there was enough of a game sees game thing going on that Dot was able to buy time enough to talk to him. And that he clearly thought he was going to intimidate her into cooperating with a mono-a-mono dual but was repeatedly interrupted by hospitality and biscuit making.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

fez_machine posted:

Munch and Chigurh are fundamentally different creatures

Who would win in a fight?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

thehoodie posted:

Who would win in a fight?

Chigurh, I reckon.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Munch did ice a gas station teen armed with nothing but an air horn.

But I can buy there was enough of a game sees game thing going on that Dot was able to buy time enough to talk to him. And that he clearly thought he was going to intimidate her into cooperating with a mono-a-mono dual but was repeatedly interrupted by hospitality and biscuit making.

Munch is motivated by a biblical morality (and a thousand years old Viking warrior) not simply a sociopath so when given the chance at redemption or some kind of peace, however suspicious he might be initially, he accepts it

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

If only that teen had reached for a bible instead of an airhorn

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I really liked that season. She was such a badass and it was really fun to watch.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

After talking about how eating sin cursed him with eternal life, I was half expecting Munch to shrivel up like that nazi at the end of Indiana Jones when he ate the biscuit

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God what a beautiful ending. I love that you can equally see the offer of bread as simple humanity finally reaching Munch, as well as it being a rather literal communion that offers redemption as a counter to the hosed up "morality" of the initial sin-eating to allow a rich person to go to heaven despite being a terrible person. I really dug that the only other time he suggests being happy or at peace came during the brief time that he was in a place where the Church hadn't really reached yet.

In regards to Lorraine, I'm of two minds in that apart from coming to a better place of understanding with her daughter-in-law she's still a monstrous, horrible predator preying on the poor and helpless... but on the other hand there is a savage satisfaction to be had from her as a woman and a powerful person forcing Roy to suffer in the same way that he made Linda and Nadine (and yes, his last wife too) suffer. It goes back to the final sequence with Munch and Dot pretty well, you have a choice whether to make people pay for their sins or to move on, and it makes sense that Lorraine would go one way and Dot (and, as a result, Munch) another.

What a great season, a true return to form and up there with Season 1 (Season 2 remains the gold standard) as just an excellent season of television. So great to see Jon Hamm getting his teeth into a great character/performance again.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
what the gently caress that ending was so lovely oh my god

great season