Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Kind of surreal to see Iran with the same long range strike capabilities only US and limited NATO/USSR countries used to have, and also actually exercising them. Days of the 80s/90s with Tomahawk or carrier strike group retaliation are long past now

MIC must be happy to produce and sell countermeasures to smaller countries now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Joe failed his challenge making him tonight's big loser.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
A courtroom story in two parts:

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1747330312374280236?t=FbDjd9MTCQy__g6OPOfwMA&s=19

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1747350825632997507?t=uIxrRdmlrJG9ElK6jAWOmQ&s=19

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The case is definitely going to get sunk by the smarter chud jurors that made it on

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Tiny Timbs posted:

The case is definitely going to get sunk by the smarter chud jurors that made it on

Case is already over, it's just about damages. It's also likely not helping Donnie's case that his lawyer is arguing SHE ASKED FOR IT (the attention)

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1747367854398153076?t=gIhgrEyiqyJ3_mW8mfg2jg&s=19

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Suicide Watch posted:

Kind of surreal to see Iran with the same long range strike capabilities only US and limited NATO/USSR countries used to have, and also actually exercising them. Days of the 80s/90s with Tomahawk or carrier strike group retaliation are long past now

MIC must be happy to produce and sell countermeasures to smaller countries now

The strike was about 30 miles from Iran's border with Pakistan. Is that long range?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

joat mon posted:

The strike was about 30 miles from Iran's border with Pakistan. Is that long range?

Checking wikipedia, Shahed 136 has a published range of 1600mi and Tomahawk block 2 has a published range of 1550mi. I'd say those are long ranges

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Not to defend Donnie the Rapist, but on a very limited viewpoint I can see the gently caress-you appeal of continuously racking up libel verdicts if the amount of the judgements are inconsequential for you. Kinda like the Demolition Man cursing citation scene. Just keep getting hauled back into court every few months for what you called the same person you lost to last time, again and again.

"What, it costs me 0.00001% of my net worth to call her a lying piece of poo poo? Send"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

All I know is he had a Rudy moment:

https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1747383955375169716?t=lRlnRmHGS6_jXz818GVUXg&s=19

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I want that to be real.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

I want that to be real.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Suicide Watch posted:

Checking wikipedia, Shahed 136 has a published range of 1600mi and Tomahawk block 2 has a published range of 1550mi. I'd say those are long ranges

https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/1747295538343547231

If you go on Alibaba, it's blindingly clear that this gasoline powered fixed wing drone with a 50 kg payload is a Shahed 136 clone. This isn't a world where Iran has long ranged strike capabilities. It's a world where anyone can buy long ranged strike capabilities from shady Chinese venders online at the low low prices of $57k a pop.

Oh, and the same company also sells anti-drone jamming guns.

https://twitter.com/MerruX/status/1747296854524539352

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

golden bubble posted:

https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/1747295538343547231

If you go on Alibaba, it's blindingly clear that this gasoline powered fixed wing drone with a 50 kg payload is a Shahed 136 clone. This isn't a world where Iran has long ranged strike capabilities. It's a world where anyone can buy long ranged strike capabilities from shady Chinese venders online at the low low prices of $57k a pop.

Oh, and the same company also sells anti-drone jamming guns.

https://twitter.com/MerruX/status/1747296854524539352

This is the cyberpunk future that Gibson promised us

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
This is the global free market of our dreams, incredible

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
loving lmao what is this, Jagged Alliance?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Apropos of nothing in particular. It the audiobook for Snow crash is hilarious 30 years later.

It’s so bad it horse shoe’s itself all the way around to meh again from god awful.

I forgot about this book until about like 2013 or so.

Keep in mind all the billionaires we love to lampoon were greatly influenced by the book. Keep that in mind especially with the child rape bits. Because oh boy is that ever present.

Also YT people, am I rite?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1747697491636609024?t=bzfC629mx-P-DyiTpbGtgw&s=19

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1747704408085852199?t=W8aiEBEHNvPE0qaD06xqHg&s=19

Seems to be going well!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So Donnie is having a mad in court today in the punishment phase of the E. Jean Carroll case, and he really, really wants to get tossed by the judge for propaganda purposes. Judge won't bite, but that's not Donnie's biggest problem, as legal analysts are asking questions like this about his lawyer:

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1747723557851873711?t=dsHm80MyyR3hK4R__VpyXA&s=19

Also Habba's doing the victim blaming thing, which as Popehat says: it's the kind of argument that, when it doesn’t work, doesn’t work in a very big way.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
@innercitypress is livetweeting the trial.

https://nitter.net/innercitypress/status/1747727426199691408

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

@innercitypress is livetweeting the trial.

A question: do you have any teeth left after grinding them into nubs watching/reading her lawyering?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Apropos of nothing in particular. It the audiobook for Snow crash is hilarious 30 years later.

It’s so bad it horse shoe’s itself all the way around to meh again from god awful.

I forgot about this book until about like 2013 or so.

Keep in mind all the billionaires we love to lampoon were greatly influenced by the book. Keep that in mind especially with the child rape bits. Because oh boy is that ever present.

Also YT people, am I rite?

Yeah I tried rereading it a couple-three years ago and boy does he love telling you about the world rather than showing you. I think the Gibson stuff holds up far better.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Is her entire line of questioning trying to make the point that being raped by Trump was good for her career?

That's the angle?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Arcella posted:

Yeah I tried rereading it a couple-three years ago and boy does he love telling you about the world rather than showing you. I think the Gibson stuff holds up far better.

snow crash has some very vibes-based storytelling and worldbuilding and it works better when the vibes are Rad Wacky Future Distopianism rather than Uncomfortably Close to Present-Day Reality

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The first chapter of Snow Crash is amazing (Hiro’s pizza delivery). Then it goes downhill fast.

E: Also I have respect for naming your main character Hiro Protagonist. I’d have more respect if the rest of the book was good enough to justify the joke.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

davecrazy posted:

Is her entire line of questioning trying to make the point that being raped by Trump was good for her career?

That's the angle?

Pretty much. Carroll is trying to prove the damage to increase the amount the jury awards. Donnie is trying to argue that she asked for it to be famous, therefore the defamatory statements weren't damaging.

It's really gross poo poo that would be handled delicately by good lawyers, but Donnie doesn't have those.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
...is incompetent representation valid grounds of appeal in a civil case?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Never forgive stephenson for making pizza delivery sound way more fun than it actually is

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1747704902833336643?t=xTaCzAkBHdA8JHmakxujtQ&s=19

:drat:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

jfc

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

facialimpediment posted:

A question: do you have any teeth left after grinding them into nubs watching/reading her lawyering?

I'm honestly just laughing at it. I wish I could watch or listen live.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

hypnophant posted:

snow crash has some very vibes-based storytelling and worldbuilding and it works better when the vibes are Rad Wacky Future Distopianism rather than Uncomfortably Close to Present-Day Reality

My favorite part is when Hiro's wearing some prototypish high tech mil stuff in a gunfight.

He suddenly feels a huge impact on his back and topples forward, his vision completely obscured by an avalanche of warning messages informing him that the system has detected a hail of bullets headed this way and would you like to know where they came from, sir? :razz:

e: Oh and in current events Tucker Carlson got invited to Calgary Alberta, with the ultra-conservative premier Danielle Smith and her gaggle of vicious dingbats tripping over themselves to kiss his ring. Sadly the event was a success, and that they're planning more in other cities.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 17, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Eyes Have It posted:

My favorite part is when Hiro's wearing some prototypish high tech mil stuff in a gunfight.

He suddenly feels a huge impact on his back and topples forward, his vision completely obscured by an avalanche of warning messages informing him that the system has detected a hail of bullets headed this way and would you like to know where they came from, sir? :razz:

Another quality 3M product. :smugdog:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

OddObserver posted:

...is incompetent representation valid grounds of appeal in a civil case?

No, your remedy is to sue your attorney for legal malpractice.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

joat mon posted:

No, your remedy is to sue your attorney for legal malpractice.

Is it a crime to pay your attorney through PAC funds, sue them for malpractice, and direct them to settle in a way that pays you personally?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm honestly just laughing at it. I wish I could watch or listen live.

Yeah, it's schadenfreude all the way down, and she earned every bit of it.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is it a crime to pay your attorney through PAC funds, sue them for malpractice, and direct them to settle in a way that pays you personally?

PAC funds, probably not, campaign funds, yes.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 18, 2024

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

goatsestretchgoals posted:

The first chapter of Snow Crash is amazing (Hiro’s pizza delivery). Then it goes downhill fast.

E: Also I have respect for naming your main character Hiro Protagonist. I’d have more respect if the rest of the book was good enough to justify the joke.

You can kind of sense when the original short story ends and then the rest of the novel was bolted on to it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
A federal loving judge told a billionaire's lawyer today that he was giving her a 20 minute break to refresh herself on the rules of evidence so she could introduce a document.

After said recess, he has to stop her from improperly putting stuff in front of the jury again and talks her step by step through the procedure.

I would loving die if I were ever that ill prepared to step in front of a federal judge.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A pro se litigant would be embarrassed to be that unprepared.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
These people live without the kind of shame that comes from experiencing humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
To be fair, he only thinks he's a billionaire