Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I know my daughter is telling me her heart's truth when she whispers it in my ear instead of saying it out loud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Well our 3 year old has been getting in our bed most nights, and we're usually too tired to even notice until it's too late. And it's better than multiple times a night wake-ups that he had for the first 2.5 years of his life. But last night he wet the bed. In our bed. So at 5 am I notice, and put him back in his bed, my wife goes to the guest bed downstairs, and I go to the couch downstairs. Not five minutes later he's calling for me and won't stop. So I get to finish the last two hours of the night on the floor next to his bed.

Shalhavet posted:

Happy new Bluey day. I'll just be crying over Cricket and Dragon, don't mind me.

Yeah, Dragon got me this weekend. My mom died last March.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Odd Squad sets the bar for kids’ shows for me. Everyone can relate to a villain whose heel turn began when he stepped on a block as a boy and embarked upon a lifelong war against cubes.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Brawnfire posted:

I know my daughter is telling me her heart's truth when she whispers it in my ear instead of saying it out loud

Hey I have something to tell you

poop

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Rufio posted:

I read an article criticizing Bluey for setting high expectations for parenting but I seriously thought it was some kind of joke or troll. But here we are and goons think they need to live up to the standards of cartoon dogs.

I'm sorry I can't give my children an upper class life while only working part time

e:
I'm sorry that walking around with my kid on my feet like in bad mood is actually really awkward and difficult and is therefore boring.

I'm sorry that lifting a 40 pound bag of meat is significantly more difficult than lifting a 40 pound weight and, as it turns out, I can't actually lift him high enough to sit upside down on an 8 foot ceiling like what uncle redd does easily.

I'm sorry that FaceTime doesn't let you freehand draw pictures on screen like in faceytalk so you can't actually draw your own cowboy hat on yourself

Renegret fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 16, 2024

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Does anyone have recommendations for an art supplies case for a 4 year old, preferably one that doesn't include a full set of markers, colored pencils, and other poo poo? We have art supplies everywhere and I think I've reached my limit.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

nachos posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for an art supplies case for a 4 year old, preferably one that doesn't include a full set of markers, colored pencils, and other poo poo? We have art supplies everywhere and I think I've reached my limit.

We got this and put it in the corner. It's not pretty but it's cheap and functional though I imagine it's not what you have in mind

https://www.michaels.com/product/cl...8BoCeUsQAvD_BwE

Each drawer is pretty small which ends up being a plus. You have a drawer of just markers, of just crayons, of just construction paper, of just stickers, etc. Helps keep everything organized, and stay organized.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Renegret posted:

Hey I have something to tell you

poop

This our daughter as well, though sometimes it's you're a poopyface.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

calandryll posted:

This our daughter as well, though sometimes it's you're a poopyface.

Excuse me, we're a household of class.

We call each other poopybutt

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 5 year old has been calling my husband Sponge Dad Poop Pants.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Renegret posted:

I'm sorry I can't give my children an upper class life while only working part time

e:
I'm sorry that walking around with my kid on my feet like in bad mood is actually really awkward and difficult and is therefore boring.

I'm sorry that lifting a 40 pound bag of meat is significantly more difficult than lifting a 40 pound weight and, as it turns out, I can't actually lift him high enough to sit upside down on an 8 foot ceiling like what uncle redd does easily.

I'm sorry that FaceTime doesn't let you freehand draw pictures on screen like in faceytalk so you can't actually draw your own cowboy hat on yourself

skill issue

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
“Mama look at the unicorn I drew! It’s rainbow! Her name is Horny!”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Koivunen posted:

My daughter came up with a set of kittens and one was "Knotsy" because it liked knots. It fit thematically with the others [Like Heartsy and Dotsy and Starsy] that were little symbols she could draw.

Knotsy's was a pretzel.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

King Hong Kong posted:

I haven’t watched that much Bluey and, while I think it’s pretty high quality, I really wish there was more criticism about the expectations it sets for parenting. They work infrequently enough in the show that I have no clue what, if anything, they do;

One is a bomb sniffing dog at the airport (Dad?) and the other is an emotional support dog at a hospital or something

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Koivunen posted:

Doggy's friend, the stuffed octopus was named "octopussy" yesterday at dinner

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

My son decided to announce he was counting by saying "I'm one-ing, I'm two-ing, I'm three-ing"

Both parents had to take a moment right before he got to 70

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Hadlock posted:

One is a bomb sniffing dog at the airport (Dad?) and the other is an emotional support dog at a hospital or something

Mom is in airport security, Dad is an archeologist (digs up bones).

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Brawnfire posted:

Naw. My 5yo likes to do this, but she needs to work on whispering, because it's usually an uncomfortably ticklish bwshfswhgrshswsh and I have to ask her to say it normally.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Renegret posted:

Excuse me, we're a household of class.

We call each other poopybutt

She also calls me that. As well as I apparently poop and pee on my face. :lol:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Elissimpark posted:

Naw. My 5yo likes to do this, but she needs to work on whispering, because it's usually an uncomfortably ticklish bwshfswhgrshswsh and I have to ask her to say it normally.

Omg I love it when it's like some long-rear end whispered monologue while I'm getting insane ear tickles

I'm like sweetie whispers have to be short

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

This morning, 4:30, wife texts me that she’s been sick and is sleeping in the guest room. Thankfully it’s a day when both girls are in daycare, I get them out of the house with a manageable amount of tears, get my wife some Gatorade and saltines, pick up both kids from daycare (managing to remember Mrs Puppy, the stuffed dog my daughter insists on taking and bringing home every night), get my oldest out of her cold weather gear, and immediately have to rush to the bathroom so I can vomit.

Luckily my wife is feeling a bit better? But this still sucks a lot and i am dreading what feels like the kids inevitably getting it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Narrator: what dismas didn't know, or maybe refused to acknowledge, is that both kids already had it but simply weren't showing symptoms yet

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Narrator: what dismas didn't know, or maybe refused to acknowledge, is that both kids already had it but simply weren't showing symptoms yet

It’s the latter to be clear. Ugh. Don’t even know where we picked this one up, my wife works from home and the kids haven’t been sick (yet)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

dismas posted:

Ugh. Don’t even know where we picked this one up

dismas posted:

both girls are in daycare

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Yup. Just came back from a trip to China with zero issues, only to be welcomed to a household with a stomach bug. Wife was throwing up on the hour all of yesterday, I felt like rear end starting yesterday noon, and have the runs now.

Kids? Mildly off, no vomiting or diarrhea.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

My kid has discovered some kind of weird humor and I love it. It consists of running up when I'm in the kitchen and saying mommy, daddy can I ask you a question? And when you say yes she says pants or mommy pants daddy pants. And then says okay bye in a weird voice and runs away. It's really weird and very hilarious to me.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

And in breaking news: the little one (21 months) just shat in the jacuzzi during bath time, and the daycare fed them corn by the looks of it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We had the same bug rip through our house after Thanksgiving. The family we do play dates most frequently with got it after we did. My wife started feeling queasy and immediately went on a business trip cross country and gave it to half the state

You're welcome :chord:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The laughing in the crib right before they turn over to sleep can be delightful but also very creepy

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Im gonna be a rad dad in 6 months.

Sup thread?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

CarForumPoster posted:

Sup thread?

Welcome friend. Your life is going to change forever very soon. It’s going to be awesome and scary and infuriating and wonderful, consider investing in a Snoo

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My second child is due any day now I’ve forgotten all of my newborn knowledge from the first go round. Please let this kid be a good sleeper….

At least I get 3 months paternity leave with this one!

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

Sup thread?

Congratulations and condolences!

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

right, except *they don't have it* which is the weird fuckin' thing. I guess sometimes babies are asymptomatic for stuff? ugh. whatever, I caught it and my wife had to do bedtime but I haven't puked in at least three hours, wonderful.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Sup thread?

Congrats! It will be both better and worse than you can imagine!

Totally worth it, though.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Why yes, I do enjoy spending the hours from 11:30pm to 3:30am discussing with my toddler such diverse topics as "Should we be sleeping now", "Should you be sleeping in your own bed", "Is it reasonable that you're upset you don't have a pacifier seeing as you yourself flung it across the room in a fit of rage."

She was, of course, fully awake at 7am.

I was not.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Sup thread?

Same!

High 5, future dad! I'm so scared, especially because it's a boy and I don't want to raise an rear end in a top hat tate fan

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Congrats y'all

Also, sleep now. Never stop sleeping for you shall never sleep again

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Day 3 of locking the toddler in his room at night:

He slept for 10.5 hours straight. I went into his room and opened his blinds at wake up time, he slept for another 20 minutes.

When he finally woke up, he smiled at me and hopped out of bed and asked if we could do some stretches and take deep breaths together.

:aaaaa:

I am not going to declare premature victory as I expect we’re going to do some “rubber banding” where he will get rested, then stay up all night, then crash for a while. But one night of rest and peace was nice. We’re also going out of town for the weekend and will screw up his sleep schedule again so we got that going for us.

I still feel like I have some kind of sleep trauma though where now I can’t go to sleep because I’m just waiting for him to wake me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My wife has developed a panic response where if she wakes up and sees me sitting up in bed she throws back the covers and leaps out of bed before I can assure her that nothing is wrong, nobody is crying, I'm just about to go to the bathroom.