Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Killer robot posted:

A classic joke among old-school Jewish comedians was "Two gentile businessmen meet in the street. One says to the other, 'How's business?' and the other says, 'It's great, thanks for asking.'" The joke being that a couple of Jewish businessmen would always have something to complain about even if they were doing well.

The other joke is that because they're in a completely Gentile town, they don't have to compete against our superior business acumen, which is why he's kind of astonished that everything is going ".... Great!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
If leftists were as cruel as conservatives believe we are I'd be forcing this man to learn modern monetary theory at gunpoint

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

If any of this poo poo were true it would own, but I always feel bad in indulging in it because you know, (((reasons)))

My oddly appropriate Facebook memory today was me posting “Crazy conspiracy theories are hilarious until you realize people actually believe them.” Eleven years ago, probably about flat earth stuff.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

cat botherer posted:

My favorite flat earth conspiracy things is that the non-global elites are actually hiding secret hyperborean landmasses outside of the Antarctica ice walls because they get all the land to themselves (?).

This reminds me of the idea I had for a YA series years ago that I never tried to write because I'm not a writer.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

an entire continent for ISIS huh

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

Flat Earthers are getting scarce.
The new cool thing is the 'Mud Flood and Giants'.
Apparently there was a world wide mud flood a few centuries ago (not Noah's Flood) and this wiped out intelligent civilizations and giant humans!

Their proof? Some old buildings have cladding upto a certain point, therefore that was the mud level defense.
Or some old buildings have basement windows, therefore that basement floor was a ground level floor in the past.

And giants because some stones look like faces.
Also because it descends from a Russian nationalist pseudohistory that claims that centuries of the 'official' timeline don't exist, and that Jesus was Crimean, which makes him Russian Orthodox.

This time the bad guys get to be the Vatican, the HRE, and sometimes the Romanovs, although I'm sure that when flat earthers got on board some of them subbed in Jews for all three because they don't know what they are.

Biblical literalism taken to the point of assuming that everything after the Bible is made up. Including the little maps you get in the front of most Bibles printed after the 18th century.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
For some reason these "Boy I sure could use some Global Warming right now, huh liberal? :smug:" memes seem to be popping up later and later every year.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jagged Jim posted:

For some reason these "Boy I sure could use some Global Warming right now, huh liberal? :smug:" memes seem to be popping up later and later every year.

It sucks too because global warming is what's destabilizing the polar vortex and letting all this cold air sweep over lower latitudes

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Jagged Jim posted:

So true it's warped back around to being wrong (because now they're so late they're the next year)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

DarkHorse posted:

It sucks too because global warming is what's destabilizing the polar vortex and letting all this cold air sweep over lower latitudes

Ohhh you can just tie back ANY weather to global climate change, can't you? Very convenient :rolleyes:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Jagged Jim posted:

Not to mention that even as cold as it is, this is still global warming. We used to get actual snow that stuck here in Seattle, and all I've gotten this year was a light dusting last Thursday night that melted away almost entirely by Thursday morning.
See also this XKCD.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Seeing a lot of "in person voting with ID paper ballots absentee voting for military ONLY" rhetoric a lot, and a lot of comparisons how places like Argentina managed to pull it off quickly and efficiently when meanwhile many states in the US take ages to finish.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Yeah military only. If you work for the State Dept, FBI, or any other government body overseas then get rekt you lazy bureaucrat.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Panfilo posted:

Seeing a lot of "in person voting with ID paper ballots absentee voting for military ONLY" rhetoric a lot, and a lot of comparisons how places like Argentina managed to pull it off quickly and efficiently when meanwhile many states in the US take ages to finish.

Part of the issue with the US is that it takes *ages* to process ballots due to the checks and balances that go into soothing the fear of fraud. Every ballot is handled by several different people, split evenly by party, which means even staffing processing centers is a damned nightmare.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

CuddleCryptid posted:

Part of the issue with the US is that it takes *ages* to process ballots due to the checks and balances that go into soothing the fear of fraud. Every ballot is handled by several different people, split evenly by party, which means even staffing processing centers is a damned nightmare.

Yet conversely conservatives think the excess time spent is allowing more election mischief to happen. Oh and they want all the ballots hand counted as well.

I wonder what their excuse is gonna be if they got their way yet managed to lose by even BIGGER margins?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

To scream even harder about how it's proof of Dem perfidy and the evils of the deep state or whatever their buzzword of the day is, like they always do.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Interesting Gambit, Matt. Let's see if it pays off :allears:
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1747783273252569128?t=CfnZKHgnYy1DxNuctQKKwg&s=19

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Panfilo posted:

Yet conversely conservatives think the excess time spent is allowing more election mischief to happen. Oh and they want all the ballots hand counted as well.

I wonder what their excuse is gonna be if they got their way yet managed to lose by even BIGGER margins?

disposablewords posted:

To scream even harder about how it's proof of Dem perfidy and the evils of the deep state or whatever their buzzword of the day is, like they always do.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this has literally happened already.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Panfilo posted:

In several states they also don't want the ballots to be counted until the polls close on election day so all the early and mail in votes just sit there.

"Why is this taking so long?! Must be fraud!"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

In several states they also don't want the ballots to be counted until the polls close on election day so all the early and mail in votes just sit there.

Don't forget they also want the count to be stopped at a certain time and the results be what they are. Which of course translates to "Count all the in person, early Republican votes and don't count the Democrat mail in votes"

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

BiggerBoat posted:

Is this because mail-in leans Dem, and they don't want the message of 'Democrats are winning' to get out and dissuade in-person voters?

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

The simple answer is Republican voters are evil as gently caress but also incredibly stupid.

Medullah posted:

Don't forget they also want the count to be stopped at a certain time and the results be what they are.

Got into it with a coworker at a previous job on this exact point. When I pressed her on the arbitrary cutoff she just put on her best smug face, scoffed and said they should just simply vote earlier. I asked about wait times at polling places extending past the magical cutoff, "not my problem".

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

And in other states they can pre count early and mail in votes while polls are open and so you'll get your early returns showing a Republican lead and then get a single large spike of Dem votes as those totals are all consolidated into the count.

"Where did all those votes come from!? Must be fraud!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

99pct of germs posted:

I asked about wait times at polling places extending past the magical cutoff, "not my problem".

Whatever they want is always everyone else's problem. And oh buddy, they'll make sure it's a problem.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Red Oktober posted:

Is this because mail-in leans Dem, and they don't want the message of 'Democrats are winning' to get out and dissuade in-person voters?

That shouldn't happen, vote tallies shouldn't be reported until polls close

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

99pct of germs posted:

The simple answer is Republican voters are evil as gently caress but also incredibly stupid.

Got into it with a coworker at a previous job on this exact point. When I pressed her on the arbitrary cutoff she just put on her best smug face, scoffed and said they should just simply vote earlier. I asked about wait times at polling places extending past the magical cutoff, "not my problem".

Yep. Like, in concept I understand the idea of Voter ID, BUT if we were really going to require it, it would need to come with -

- IDs are much easier to get, and have no cost (if you're in a poor rural area without a car, why would you spend $100+ on getting a license?)

- Longer voting times - if they want to make mail in voting illegal, then we need at least a week of early voting AND early counting.

But no, the meme they see that says you need ID to buy milk doesn't go into that kind of detail.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also the people who want there to be ID to vote tend to also be the people who are against a standard national ID card.

A national ID that's mandatory, machine readable, costs €5, and everyone gets one at 16? That's tyranny.

Having to have your Starbucks card to vote? That's logical.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

What they want is for Republicans to win no matter what, that’s it, that’s all there is, and they’re very very good at coming up with ways to tip the scale towards that outcome.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

Also the people who want there to be ID to vote tend to also be the people who are against a standard national ID card.

A national ID that's mandatory, machine readable, costs €5, and everyone gets one at 16? That's tyranny.

Having to have your Starbucks card to vote? That's logical.

I've often wondered if you could get voter ID and gun ID people on the same page with something like a "Constitutional Rights ID" - lets you vote, lets you 2nd Amendment

But the attitude you mention is precisely why it could never work

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Medullah posted:

Yep. Like, in concept I understand the idea of Voter ID, BUT if we were really going to require it, it would need to come with -

- IDs are much easier to get, and have no cost (if you're in a poor rural area without a car, why would you spend $100+ on getting a license?)

- Longer voting times - if they want to make mail in voting illegal, then we need at least a week of early voting AND early counting.

But no, the meme they see that says you need ID to buy milk doesn't go into that kind of detail.

There are practicalities like that to why Voter ID is a problem, but a lot of it comes down to "even if you can, why would you". Stealing someone's identity, including their name and address and voting location, just to go cast one addition ballot in a national election is outright absurd, especially when it is so easy to get caught. It doesn't happen very often not because Voter ID stops it, but because it's a stupid crime in the first place.

Yes, if you have a small local election then maybe that will swing things. But for anything else it's very common knowledge that it is a complete waste of time.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yes, if you have a small local election then maybe that will swing things. But for anything else it's very common knowledge that it is a complete waste of time.

When I talked to a right-curious friend who was wondering about voter ID, I explained it by saying that in-person voter fraud is essentially fictional, but the people with the right to vote who end up disenfranchised by instituting voter ID are not.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Magnetic North posted:

When I talked to a right-curious friend who was wondering about voter ID, I explained it by saying that in-person voter fraud is essentially fictional, but the people with the right to vote who end up disenfranchised by instituting voter ID are not.

Yeah I once had a similar conversation where I asked the person "So, you'd put in place all these restrictions to stop maybe 0.005% of the votes from being fraudulent, but make it so 2% of the current voting base just wouldn't vote because it's too much of a hassle?"

"Absolutely".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Red Oktober posted:

I don't believe so. I think it has something to do with the perception of "shady easy to forge and harvest" mail in ballots or something, combined with the idea that TUESDAY is votin' DAY! It's creating a problem where there is none. I have a lot of faith in ballot counting as it is and support anything that makes it easier for people to vote.

Brawnfire posted:

Whatever they want is always everyone else's problem. And oh buddy, they'll make sure it's a problem.

Yeah, and that's the thing. There is no significant problem until they create one. They're like "don't count the ballots ahead of time" and then wonder why it's taking some states so long to count them all. If voter fraud and ballot harvesting were so easy and a simple way to win elections, believe me, Republicans would do it in a heartbeat and every state would be blood red.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't believe so. I think it has something to do with the perception of "shady easy to forge and harvest" mail in ballots or something, combined with the idea that TUESDAY is votin' DAY! It's creating a problem where there is none. I have a lot of faith in ballot counting as it is and support anything that makes it easier for people to vote.

Yeah, and that's the thing. There is no significant problem until they create one. They're like "don't count the ballots ahead of time" and then wonder why it's taking some states so long to count them all. If voter fraud and ballot harvesting were so easy and a simple way to win elections, believe me, Republicans would do it in a heartbeat and every state would be blood red.

The irony is a lot of them DO think this, they DO do it to try to balance the scales, and then are utterly befuddled when they get caught

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

DarkHorse posted:

The irony is a lot of them DO think this, they DO do it to try to balance the scales, and then are utterly befuddled when they get caught

Wasn't there a dude who got busted not too long ago because he had been using his dead mom's registration to double up his own votes?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

DarkHorse posted:

That shouldn't happen, vote tallies shouldn't be reported until polls close

That sounds sensible - thanks.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
psa that goons or other "younger" people should become poll workers so they can have younger blood (anything under 60, 70, maybe 80?) oh and so a chud doesnt get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

psa that goons or other "younger" people should become poll workers so they can have younger blood (anything under 60, 70, maybe 80?) oh and so a chud doesnt get it.

FWIW the real chud types don't become poll workers, they become poll watchers. Because watchers get to feel like they're sticking it to the Man and wag their fingers at the workers, whereas being a poll worker is doing a lot of extremely tedious paperwork for +12 hours straight.

People should volunteer yes but it's a truth that the people who scream about this stuff just like being mad, they don't actually want to do any work.