Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

There was nothing in Al Capone's vault, but it wasn't Geraldo's fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Data Graham posted:

Said someone not in the South.

Drive through any medium sized town and every third building is a church I swear to gently caress

A church house, gin house
A school house, outhouse

better watch out what you're puttin' down in ol Springfield

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was never with "it" and now I think with the internet fracturing off groups of people into their own niche interests, there may be no "it" to be with anymore.

Which is part of why the Simpsons can't do its old formula of playing off the monoculture because there is no monoculture anymore, no group of current topics everybody is talking about.

If anything kinda lol given as a dumbass baby boomer Homer would have aged into the majority of pop culture still laser-aimed at him specifically.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
What I want from each and every one of you is a hard-target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in that area

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If anything kinda lol given as a dumbass baby boomer Homer would have aged into the majority of pop culture still laser-aimed at him specifically.
He's a white male, aged 18 to 49, everyone listens to him no matter how dumb his suggestions are.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
If you guys haven't read John Swartzwelder's interview with the New Yorker I highly recommend it. He's hilarious. There are a lot of great lines in it. As far as I'm aware it's the only interview he's ever done.

The New yorker posted:

What do you make of the compliment “Swartzweldian”?

I guess I understand what they’re driving at, and it all sounds very complimentary, and I thank everybody for that, but I can’t help thinking “Swartzweldian” is about the most awkward-sounding word in the English language. I mean, I thought “Oakleyesque” and “Vittiriffic” [after “Simpsons” writers Bill Oakley and Jon Vitti] were bad, but “Swartzweldian”!

So how would you describe your sense of humor, your comedic sensibility?

Swartzweldian.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Swartzwelder is a weirdo crank but in the best possible way.

The Ditko of television.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Cosmik Debris posted:

If you guys haven't read John Swartzwelder's interview with the New Yorker I highly recommend it. He's hilarious. There are a lot of great lines in it. As far as I'm aware it's the only interview he's ever done.

this was great:

quote:

How much time and attention did you spend on these scripts? Another “Simpsons” writer once compared your scripts to finely tuned machines—if the wrong person mucked with them, the whole thing could blow up.

All of my time and all of my attention. It’s the only way I know how to write, darn it. But I do have a trick that makes things easier for me. Since writing is very hard and rewriting is comparatively easy and rather fun, I always write my scripts all the way through as fast as I can, the first day, if possible, putting in crap jokes and pattern dialogue—“Homer, I don’t want you to do that.” “Then I won’t do it.” Then the next day, when I get up, the script’s been written. It’s lousy, but it’s a script. The hard part is done. It’s like a crappy little elf has snuck into my office and badly done all my work for me, and then left with a tip of his crappy hat. All I have to do from that point on is fix it. So I’ve taken a very hard job, writing, and turned it into an easy one, rewriting, overnight. I advise all writers to do their scripts and other writing this way. And be sure to send me a small royalty every time you do it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That's a perfectly legit strategy funnily enough, it's not far removed from writing pseudo computer code or a detailed story outline

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, there's a reason why writers lament the utter paralysis of looking at a blank page. You might end up totally rewriting it but you have something to work with.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

there's also this bit on the cartridge family commentary. i believe this is the only time his voice has been recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAWE0Kjn8ac

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

The future of the Simpsons:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGe6pTh1P/

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

better than the last 20 seasons

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I honestly miss the steamed hams AI channel despite loving loathing AI.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

very random thought, but in that lemon tree episode, one of the most underrated moments:

random shelbyville guy 1: looks like springfield's got a discipline problem
random shelbyville guy 2: *smugly* yeah that explains why we beat them at football nearly half the time

i've seen this episode a bajillion times, but never really appreciated how good this is

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

is there another layer to it other than "nearly half the time" or am I missing something

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Toxic Mental posted:

is there another layer to it other than "nearly half the time" or am I missing something

no layers. it's just a really good joke that you could miss if you don't pay too close attention

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

“it’s just a really good joke” is like the key phrase for classic simpsons and part of why you can’t really formulate a plan for fixing the simpsons unless you have some of the best writers ever

you could write a whole essay on the brilliance of four krustys

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Modern Simpsons would follow "...Four Krustys!" up with another gangster saying "You've got double vision from using this highly-volatile gun wax in an enclosed space!" and then holding up a jar of "Oily Dan's Super Toxic Gun Wax" and a gleaming pistol, and then Legs would say "Aww... I just like to keep my gun lookin' its best!" before passing out from the fumes, and the good joke would be buried underneath a bunch of bad ones.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Urghh, that's distressingly plausible.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

dads_work_files posted:

Modern Simpsons would follow "...Four Krustys!" up with another gangster saying "You've got double vision from using this highly-volatile gun wax in an enclosed space!" and then holding up a jar of "Oily Dan's Super Toxic Gun Wax" and a gleaming pistol, and then Legs would say "Aww... I just like to keep my gun lookin' its best!" before passing out from the fumes, and the good joke would be buried underneath a bunch of bad ones.

The jar would also say Warning: May Cause Double Vision

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

Urghh, that's distressingly plausible.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

You could be making Disney money with this material. Don't give it away for free.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The jar would also say Warning: May Cause Double Vision

With a close up shot lasting four seconds

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

FireWorksWell posted:

With a close up shot lasting four seconds

and Lisa leaning in for a closer look saying "Ohhh, HERE'S your problem" with that weird post season 9 sing-songy voice

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Junk posted:

and Lisa leaning in for a closer look saying "Ohhh, HERE'S your problem" with that weird post season 9 sing-songy voice

"A velvet rope. A velvet rope."

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Y’all make credible “let’s linger for far too long and over-explain the joke” posts, but I poo poo you not I turned to my TV playing a random episode probably season 14 or higher (because it didn’t have that stiff lifeless look to it yet), and Lisa was sitting outside with (I think) Aunt Patty or Selma.

The aunt asks Lisa if Homer ever reads to her, and Lisa replies with, “He tried to once, but he believed the chocolate factory was real.”

That right there would have been a half-decent joke, but they had to follow it up with Lisa continuing on with, “He’s still trying to find it. It consumes him so.” And then after that, she takes a sip of tea and tut-tut shakes her head for five seconds. Like, gently caress. :psyduck:

Surprised they didn’t name drop the book or Roald Dahl or both.

EDIT: it was Artie Ziff Lisa was talking to. Beating a dead horse joke and bringing back a one-shot character from the classic era. Dumb.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 24, 2024

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
After reading it I remembered that exact exchange and thinking the same thing years ago. So I had to look it up... Season 15, "The Ziff Who Came To Dinner". Season 15 was the last season where I attempted to watch every episode and only ever caught less than two per season since. It aired twenty years ago. I ducked out twenty years ago!! :psyduck:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I finished watching the new-ish episode where Willie gets married (I only managed to get halfway through on my first watch), and I hate Belle & Sebastian now.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The last ones I remember watching were the Departed pastiche episode and then there was one where Bart scares all the other kids by telling a spooky story about a cafeteria worker who used to work at the school but went crazy and it goes into a different animation style while he's telling the story. Looks like those were 19 and 18 respectively but I don't remember any of the others around them from the general descriptions so I was sporadically watching them at that point I guess?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I gave up on The Simpsons not long after the Skinner-wasn’t-Skinner-all-along episode, because I was a senior in high school and I had skirt to chase other things to do. And my life has grown from there - college, career, marriage, kids, master’s degree, and enjoying adulthood - but The Simpsons still exists as a means to keep the merchandising alive. It’s surreal and gross, knowing less than a third of the show’s output is reliably any loving good yet they’ll keep making it as long as the money flows.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I've been doing a slow marathon of the Simpsons - one episode while I'm on the exercise bike. Today I reached the jockey elves episode. It's only the second time I've seen it and it's as bad as I remember.
S11 stinks so bad that watching it is more unappealing than physical exercise.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Another bad one from that era is DABF11 weekend at Burnsies.

Burned into my head.

It's so bad.

Although it does have "they call em fingers, but you never really see em fing"

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 25, 2024

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hasturtium posted:

I gave up on The Simpsons not long after the Skinner-wasn’t-Skinner-all-along episode, because I was a senior in high school and I had skirt to chase other things to do. And my life has grown from there - college, career, marriage, kids, master’s degree, and enjoying adulthood - but The Simpsons still exists as a means to keep the merchandising alive. It’s surreal and gross, knowing less than a third of the show’s output is reliably any loving good yet they’ll keep making it as long as the money flows.

Master's degree? Hey fellas, a "master's degree"! Well, ooh la di da, Mr. French Man.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Well, what do you call it?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tree Bucket posted:

A learners degree obviously. Who thinks they've mastered a subject just because they got a stupid degree, mastering a subject takes a life time, if not more!!!!

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Tree Bucket posted:

A money hole.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

dr_rat posted:

A learners degree obviously. Who thinks they've mastered a subject just because they got a stupid degree, mastering a subject takes a life time, if not more!!!!

Yeah well my plane leaves in less than a lifetime.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
https://twitter.com/Criminalsimpson/status/1750559128823447743

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A dramaturgical triad if there ever was one