Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

First western on the criterion channel suggested to me I will watch. It better be good!!

Stagecoach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I'm finally getting around to watching Inland Empire and this is incomprehensible in the best way

Reckon Criterion would ever get around to doing a Lynch Shorts collection like the Scorsese one? I know a lot of his stuff is there as special features but I'd love to have a single repository for them.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Loling endlessly at the people complaining that Inland Empire didn't get a 4k release. Do you really want to see this movie in 4k

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i think a lot of them are on the eraserhead bluray

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Brexit the Frog posted:

i think a lot of them are on the eraserhead bluray

Yeah there's a few early things there but the full release of Rabbits, or DumbLand, What Did Jack Do?, or some of the commissioned ads and various YouTube stuff would be great.

Really all I want is the collected Weather Reports in 4k and Dolby Atmos

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Kart Barfunkel posted:

On-Gaku/Our Sound is leaving the channel this month. Cute little anime movie about a group of numbskulls starting a band. Great music, very funny, and less than 90 minutes. I love this little movie.

Gripweed posted:

On-Gaku is so fun. I've never seen a movie about the joy of music that comes down so strongly on the idea that you never ever have to get good, or even try to get good, to enjoy making music.

Chris Knight posted:

On-Gaku is loving great. Add 10 years to all the characters and you'd have an Aki Kaurismäki movie.

We just watched it, and you're all right. On-Gaku is great!

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Also throwing out the On-Gaku support. That was cute fun, and loved he it would start mixing in various art and animation styles. Plus you gotta respect an epic recorder solo.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Heath posted:

Loling endlessly at the people complaining that Inland Empire didn't get a 4k release. Do you really want to see this movie in 4k

I saw the 4k showing at the austin film society and it was awesome and great.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1747302343400390999
god drat, i've been wanting to watch werckmeister forever

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Picnic At Hanging Rock is an awesome surprise and both Dogfight and Werckmeister sound great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo werckmeister is the most excited I’ve been for a criterion in forever. what an incredible movie

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
And once you've seen Werckmeister, don't forget to read the book. It is, though it may be hard to believe, even better. (It's title is The Melancholy of Resistance.)

Then you're all set to watch everything else by Tarr and read everything else by Krasznahorkai.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ahahahahahahahaha

https://fxtwitter.com/philiplord/status/1747309239830478852?s=20

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Oh man, just watching him get dragged :lol:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Phil Lord is one of those people who really needs to just stop loving posting

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

He should also probably stop loving working, given the accusations thrown at him by people who worked on Across The Spider-Verse.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Not sure why he posted that on twitter for a release. Twitter is already a terrible place to expect discussion, but a release announcement isnt going to suddenly change because of your post..

I know nothing about the film but I am guessing he’s panicking for bad reasons here?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

checkplease posted:

Not sure why he posted that on twitter for a release. Twitter is already a terrible place to expect discussion, but a release announcement isnt going to suddenly change because of your post..

I know nothing about the film but I am guessing he’s panicking for bad reasons here?

he also suggested, as an alternative, a movie that Criterion already released

he also admitted that his great granddad was a plantation owner in pre-Castro cuba lol

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

he also admitted that his great granddad was a plantation owner in pre-Castro cuba lol

lol yeah people like that gotta learn when to not post

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

lmao every loving time

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Philip dorklord

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know they're more pop/cult releases but is it kosher to being up Arrow here? B&N is having a 50% sale on them and Amazon is matching. Got a preorder for the 4k remaster of the Conan movies for $40.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
arrow is usually talked about in the physical media thread

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Somehow more embarrassing than his twitter meltdown because people thought Castro was hot.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

wyoming posted:

Somehow more embarrassing than his twitter meltdown because people thought Castro was hot.

lmao oh man the hits keep coming

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

what an insanely dumb motherfucker

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know they're more pop/cult releases but is it kosher to being up Arrow here? B&N is having a 50% sale on them and Amazon is matching. Got a preorder for the 4k remaster of the Conan movies for $40.

Get ye to the physical media thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853471&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Dogfight is incredible, super excited to see that one get a Criterion. This could also mean Savoca's Household Saints (1993) might get a Criterion soon, as that has recently gotten a 4K restoration and has been playing in theaters, and has never been released on disc.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I can’t really be interested in any Picnic at Hanging Rock release if they still haven’t found and restored the ending.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I can’t really be interested in any Picnic at Hanging Rock release if they still haven’t found and restored the ending.

The limited edition 4K from Second Sight had both versions, but Criterion will usually stick to director's cuts.

Really excited that I Am Cuba is coming from Criterion and in 4K. Milestone recently began using Kino Lorber as distributor, so I was expecting they'd handle this. Of course, from looking around, seems like the extras are quite light considering the deluxe DVD edition had a feature-length doc on the director and a bunch of other things. Seems like Criterion is really cutting back on extras lately as The Roaring Twenties doesn't even have the "Night at the Movies" preshow the Warner DVD had (and most Warner Archive Blu-rays include a few cartoons in HD).

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Hopefully that’s not a trend. Extras are often a deciding factor for me when choosing movies to purchase.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

criterion not sending their best for years now. plenty of other boutiques in town.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

criterion not sending their best for years now. plenty of other boutiques in town.

Yeah. At least in my personal boutique tier list, Criterion dropped from S to A tier at least five years ago and with other boutiques coming in and actually doing better work on movies you wouldn't even imagine getting that kind of treatment, they might be dropping to B tier sooner than later.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

checkplease posted:

Hopefully that’s not a trend. Extras are often a deciding factor for me when choosing movies to purchase.

Seems like Arrow and Indicator still put in a lot of effort into new video pieces, plus adding archival materials. Kino includes commentaries on almost everything these days - for that matter, the extras on their upcoming 4K of Fear and Desire actually make it a must-have despite it being a pretty mediocre film (two cuts, each with a commentary, all three of Kubrick's short films newly restored and presented in 4K, plus a trailer gallery).

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Egbert Souse posted:

Seems like Arrow and Indicator still put in a lot of effort into new video pieces, plus adding archival materials. Kino includes commentaries on almost everything these days - for that matter, the extras on their upcoming 4K of Fear and Desire actually make it a must-have despite it being a pretty mediocre film (two cuts, each with a commentary, all three of Kubrick's short films newly restored and presented in 4K, plus a trailer gallery).

Fear and Desire has the shorts too??? Ah drat, I was gonna pass but might as well catch ‘em all now.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Gripweed posted:

What's the story here? Did they film the author's unpublished/posthumously published last chapter?

Edit: haha, just looked it up. Wishful thinking on my part. I didn't know there was a director's cut out there, cool.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
*sees posts being dangerously close to pro-Castro*

So how about that Blood Simple 4K? It sure sounds swell!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

*sees posts being dangerously close to pro-Castro*

So how about that Blood Simple 4K? It sure sounds swell!

Not buying it until they bring back the commentary by Kenneth Loring, artisitic director for Forever Young Films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

yes.