Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: From Rufus With Love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

KC Green's contract with King Features is up in March, so wrap up any storylines you were following

Re: historical comics: if you're having to spoiler every single one for racism i wonder whether the good outweighs the bad w/r/t continuing to post it? IDK. I am p sensitive about that stuff.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Re: historical comics: if you're having to spoiler every single one for racism i wonder whether the good outweighs the bad w/r/t continuing to post it? IDK. I am p sensitive about that stuff.

The historical comics are really interesting to see what people made jokes about and what people were anxious about in the early 20th century. I also think it's interesting to see how the concept of racism has changed over time. A lot of the pre-war "Out Our Ways" could be considered racist against Germans, which is a nonsensical concept to my 21st century ears. And I'd argue that the Powerful Katinka is as much a caricature of a minority immigrant as any of the Chinese laundry owners from that one I keep skipping because it's always five or six people speaking in folksy paragraphs. None of it is great to our modern sensibilities, but it's a snapshot in time, if an embarrassing one.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 20: Extreme Freaks in which we see what's become of Brian

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Now here’s a sad schism. The old pals, rent in twain. But Brian always keeps a good thought for people and Tom is no exception. I’ve had “Brian goes straight” on my to-do list of Steeple stories right from the start.

Ayahuasca

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

KC Green's contract with King Features is up in March, so wrap up any storylines you were following

Well, in the case of the Sunday Scarlet O'Neils, I'm having to spoiler them because a Chinese boy is a main character in the current storyline. If it's really bothering folks, I can always skip them until a new story starts up.

Pogo 3/3-5/52

Archie 4/14-16/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 11/25-27/76

"You Turned Off the Light Switch of My Lonely Heart" would be a great country song title.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Curtis

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Free Market Solutions

a shameful popeye

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Hostile V posted:

Man I love the fashion that's going on, really good job with the colors and shapes and styles. Also all of them having medals.
The doctor really deserves one; I feel like saving a couple of planets in the midst of your mental breakdown is an accomplishment worth bragging about.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

THIS doctor, on the other hand...how often is the Rex Morgan strip just someone attempting to be polite while someone else grumps at them? I'm not close reading Rex Morgan, but the little apology tour Mud went on felt like every character he apologized to got at least a week's worth of strips out of 'mud says sorry and the other person is skeptical and upset.'

goatface posted:

No, it's a different one. He's dismissing their real shared experience and talking about a whole new thing.

The Phantom is now exclusively about prophetic dreams.
The Ghost Who Walks dreamed he was eating an enormous marshmallow. When he woke up, his pillow was gone.
Old Man Mozz foretold this doom over the course of seven hundred daily strips.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (Feburary 14-16, 2005)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
The only thing I can add to the talk about antique racism that I haven't touched on a jillion times before is adjacent to what Safety Dance was saying: it's instructive how shockingly narrow the concept of "white" was before WW2.

Anyway, a family emergency is cutting into my effort post time for for the immediate future, which mean Mousetrapped is what's for dinner tonight.

Randy's notes posted:

Finally, we meet Dinkly Doodle and Weakheart. Dinky and Weakheart were Walter Lantz creations for Bray Studios, preceeding Pete the Pup by a few years. They followed a rather similar format to Pete’s later cartoons, though.

Also, if you’re interested in watching some of these old shorts, Tommy José Stathes has you covered.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This Curtis story feels like it might get weird. Didn’t Curtis used to have a different friend from like polynesia or something? Did he end up being too much of a racist caricature?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Gunk only shows up when he has a plot device to deliver. Curtis having a regular school friend who isn't Chutney feels relatively new, though.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

I AM GRANDO posted:

This Curtis story feels like it might get weird. Didn’t Curtis used to have a different friend from like polynesia or something? Did he end up being too much of a racist caricature?

Gunk was a wacky foreigner but he's also a little white blond kid without any racially othering features. Also he was randomly magic. And named 'Gunk'.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

hasn't heartthrob or whatever that kid's name is always been around?

mycatscrimes posted:

Gunk was a wacky foreigner but he's also a little white blond kid without any racially othering features. Also he was randomly magic. And named 'Gunk'.

the curtis wikipedia article (lol) says that gunk is an initialism for "Gladimus Umfred Nostradamus Klaustauvicke", so that's, a fun fact

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

I AM GRANDO posted:

It's almost certainly just going to be a "kid has crush on adult who was nice to them, maybe some hijinks ensue but it's all from the kid's end, it's all harmless" story.

someone awful. posted:

hasn't heartthrob or whatever that kid's name is always been around?
He has, this is the first time I remember him getting an actual arc though.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

mycatscrimes posted:

Gunk was from a place called Flyspeck Island, which was filled with weird stuff. Whenever he brought out something from home, ***wackiness*** always ensued.

EasyEW posted:

The only thing I can add to the talk about antique racism that I haven't touched on a jillion times before is adjacent to what Safety Dance was saying: it's instructive how shockingly narrow the concept of "white" was before WW2.

And not just before the war. Look at Tommy Noletti's family of Italian caricatures in Brenda Starr, for instance.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Forum accident posted:

Ziggy
(7/21/1971)
This is a good one. :haw:

Strontium posted:

Dark Side Of The Horse

That's a bow tie. The best kind of tie.
That's what "black tie" requires.

Wikipedia posted:

Black tie is a semi-formal Western dress code for evening events, originating in British and North American conventions for attire in the 19th century. In British English, the dress code is often referred to synecdochically by its principal element for men, the dinner suit or dinner jacket. In American English, the equivalent term tuxedo (or tux) is common. The dinner suit is a black, midnight blue or white two- or three-piece suit, distinguished by satin or grosgrain jacket lapels and similar stripes along the outseam of the trousers. It is worn with a white dress shirt with standing or turndown collar and link cuffs, a black bow tie, typically an evening waistcoat or a cummerbund, and black patent leather dress shoes or court pumps. Accessories may include a semi-formal homburg, bowler, or boater hat. For women, an evening gown or other fashionable evening attire may be worn.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

She made herself boring because Gunther was always whining whenever she wanted to do anything besides sit and watch TV. Now that she's sitting and watching TV he's whining about that. And somehow it's her fault.

Gil Thorp

I don't think the guy getting punched yesterday was Coach Kaz, but a different coach we don't know yet. (Kaz has earrings.) The guy who punched him is one of his players who was pissed off he didn't get enough play time.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Gunther's not happy when his girlfriend is blogging. He's not happy when she's not blogging.
Put his head on a pike and hang it over the door as a warning to future boyfriends.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My take on it is a bit different. Gunther wasn't happy fully sacrificing himself to her needs, but isn't happy with her fully sacrificing herself to his either. Neither one is good.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

Anyway, a family emergency is cutting into my effort post time for for the immediate future, which mean Mousetrapped is what's for dinner tonight.
Hey I hope everything works out for you and your family.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Bruceski posted:

My take on it is a bit different. Gunther wasn't happy fully sacrificing himself to her needs, but isn't happy with her fully sacrificing herself to his either. Neither one is good.

That's probably what they're going for, but the Luann writers are pretty incompetent at getting things across.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Also, best wishes, EasyEW

Samovar fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 17, 2024

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
MexiKid Stories rolling up on Vera Valiant to take first place as best new thread addition of 2024.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 13, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

:siren: Untranslatable Fingerpori :siren:

This one's some next level poo poo.

The key word here is "keskustammaksi", which is a loving mess. The base of the word is "keskusta" or "keskus", which means "center" but practically means "downtown", "the center of the city". But it is then conjugated to be the comparative form, and then the translative form of that, so we basically go from:

"keskusta" -- city center
"keskustampi" -- more city center
"keskustammaksi" -- to be more city center, or in practise "to be closer to the city center".

But that conjugated form can also be a compound word consisting of "keskus" (center, but also with the colloquial meaning of "telephone operator") + "tamma" (mare), and again the translative form of that, translative being the form that indicates the outcome or result of something.

So the guy either wants to be closer to downtown, or wants to become a mare phone operator.

I'm trying a new format here where I spoiler the version that has the joke pun in it, and the explanation, so people can try to guess what the gently caress is going on first. Better? Or is the big spoiler section irritating and I should just go back to posting both and the explanation without the tags?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 17, 2024

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
I don't mind the spoilered explanation, I will still be baffled by how Finnish is something people can be fluent in either way.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Selachian posted:

Flash was a polo player in the original strip. They changed him to a football player in the Sam Jones movie because to an 80s audience, polo was a prissy rich guy's sport unbefitting an action hero.

American football does kind of make more sense for an action hero, since it's practically simulated combat already. Or maybe he should have been a fencer, given that he fights with a sword a bunch.

Give me, warm! Give me, soft!

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 16, 1961)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

JethroMcB posted:

FoxTrot Classix

Look for a man with black sunglasses in Delfino Plaza - he's at the beach, close to the fruit stands. When you've gotten 30 bucks, he'll sell you a pair of sunglasses to wear, which will darken your screen appropriately.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Haifisch posted:

It's almost certainly just going to be a "kid has crush on adult who was nice to them, maybe some hijinks ensue but it's all from the kid's end, it's all harmless" story.

He has, this is the first time I remember him getting an actual arc though.

I don't remember "Heart=Throb" from when I was reading Curtis in the 90's, but he's definitely been slotted into the position that Gunk was back then.in the strips I've seen posted in the thread, with Gunk backburnered.

Is this the first time we've seen "Heart-Throb's" first name?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 13, 2002)

Y'know, I've found that often in cooking, one can reduce the amount of sugar in dishes by up to a half, and it still ends up tasting fine.

Medenmath posted:

Aw, the eldest brother stopping one of the twins from messing with the other. Just like the maid stopping him from tugging on his mother's skirt when the twins were having their christening.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Medenmath posted:

I'm going with "yelling so lustily" having a rather different meaning in the previous century.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

maltesh posted:

I don't remember "Heart=Throb" from when I was reading Curtis in the 90's, but he's definitely been slotted into the position that Gunk was back then.in the strips I've seen posted in the thread, with Gunk backburnered.

Is this the first time we've seen "Heart-Throb's" first name?

Nah, Curtis's mum always uses it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Well, kids, Wildcard won out, and we drew Blasted from the hat. I guess next year we'll specify 'chosen from the three above' but for now it's probably best if your parents sit this one out."

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

"Well, kids, Wildcard won out, and we drew Blasted from the hat. I guess next year we'll specify 'chosen from the three above' but for now it's probably best if your parents sit this one out."

It's been two decades but the syndicated comic strip cabal will unfortunately not let us run a strip depicting a performance of Avenue Q.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I'm trying a new format here where I spoiler the version that has the joke pun in it, and the explanation, so people can try to guess what the gently caress is going on first. Better? Or is the big spoiler section irritating and I should just go back to posting both and the explanation without the tags?

I'm neutral on it, so whatever you and other readers feel is best, but I do want to thank you for doing it, either way. It's a highlight to see insanely untranslatable Fingerpori pop up, regardless.