Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
have they announced how RUCs are gonna work for normal people driving normal EVs/hybrids yet? like, do i have to save up to pay them when i get a wof? ?? david seymour please explain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
People with non plug-in petrol/electric hybrids will be feeling very smug. Best of both worlds! Minimal petrol taxes and zero RUCs.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

at least until the government moves petrol cars to ruc

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That'll totally happen, definitely

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Please no

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Ruc on evs has always been a matter of time, it's a pretty decent whack of income to effectively pass on.

If it was culture war poo poo it would be RUC on electric bikes or some fuckery.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Just you wait lol. The idea is to transition over to rucs on everything so Ev drivers can pay more and ute drivers can pay the same as efficient vehicles.

It's a big part of the coalition agreement and a big signal to the ute driving masses who vote national that they're on their side after years of 'unfair ute taxes'.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

I don't need yahoos calling every 5 minutes cause they didn't think they needed to pay for RUCs now they owe $5k

It's bad enough getting that every 10

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

What needs to be done is n overall assessment of the outputs of vehicles (carbon, pm, construction, etc), damage to the road, healthcare costs, and so on and use that data to formulate ruc charges. Seems fair, so it will never happen

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That sounds like so much effort

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

just toll every route out of wellington and auckland.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ghostlight posted:

just toll every ute out of wellington and auckland.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Nah tolling every route just requires extensive monitoring.
Instead, just implement a tax for each non residential parking space. After all, those cars driving everywhere need to stop at some point. [This also requires extensive monitoring, but only on the bigger parking buildings and commercial lots]

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Saros posted:

Just you wait lol. The idea is to transition over to rucs on everything so Ev drivers can pay more and ute drivers can pay the same as efficient vehicles.

It's a big part of the coalition agreement and a big signal to the ute driving masses who vote national that they're on their side after years of 'unfair ute taxes'.

It's this^

The rhetoric is all about "treating all vehicles equally" rather than trying to incentivise people to use lower emissions options. Supposedly market forces (petrol prices) will take care of the rest.

Never mind the trillion dollar military industrial complex and Western hegemonic order that enforces artificially low petrol prices.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Considering the petrol companies know people can afford 260/L this sounds like a great way for them to pocket more cash when the ruc tax is removed

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

System working as intended

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Did the petrol companies raise prices when labour removed the petrol tax last year? I kinda recall them doing so but not all the way to 3 bucks a litre, maybe because they knew it was temporary but like it's not like we can vote with our wallets and buy our petrol from someone else.

I predict that ICE cars will still be around in 20 years at this point. I just don't see them going away, even though IIRC new car registrations are something like 30% EVs

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

klen dool posted:

Did the petrol companies raise prices when labour removed the petrol tax last year? I kinda recall them doing so but not all the way to 3 bucks a litre, maybe because they knew it was temporary but like it's not like we can vote with our wallets and buy our petrol from someone else.

I predict that ICE cars will still be around in 20 years at this point. I just don't see them going away, even though IIRC new car registrations are something like 30% EVs

Stats NZ has historic petrol prices (by quarter, I think) going way back into the 80s. I'm fairly sure it's inflation adjusted (as from memory, it shows similar prices to today for the time of the oil crisis).

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

They didn't lower prices when the tax was removed, it took months and only happened because there was a media outcry followed by the gov sending the retailers a very angry letter.

In the interim they trousered at a minimum tens of millions of dollars.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
So the idea that adding a tax to a product or service will increase the retail price is kinda bullshit - or at least reductive and too simplified - since the market will only bear a certain price.

Adding a tax to a product won't necessarily be "passed on" to the consumer like some people like to moan about, and its just as likely to reduce a companies profit thereby effectively making it a tax on the company not the consumer.

It probably depends on the product, but I bet petrol is one of those products whose price is dictated far more by the consumers ability or willingness to pay rather than the cost to produce and deliver + taxes

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Adding a tax to a product will necessarily be "passed on" to the consumer because the alternative is to reduce company profit.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

klen dool posted:

So the idea that adding a tax to a product or service will increase the retail price is kinda bullshit - or at least reductive and too simplified - since the market will only bear a certain price.

Adding a tax to a product won't necessarily be "passed on" to the consumer like some people like to moan about, and its just as likely to reduce a companies profit thereby effectively making it a tax on the company not the consumer.

It probably depends on the product, but I bet petrol is one of those products whose price is dictated far more by the consumers ability or willingness to pay rather than the cost to produce and deliver + taxes
Yes. This is all covered in High School economics with supply and demand curves. It depends on the elasticity of the demand amount of competition in the market etc.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Adding a tax to a product will necessarily be "passed on" to the consumer because the alternative is to reduce company profit.

The company might reduce its profit to none if they pass on the tax while their competitors don't

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

klen dool posted:

The company might reduce its profit to none if they pass on the tax while their competitors don't
lmao or they could all increase their profits by none of them doing so.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I think I should just get off my butt and design an entirely new economic system.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

lmao or they could all increase their profits by none of them doing so.

yes correct they could <looks at supermarkets>

klen dool
May 7, 2007

so the tax was reduced and the prices went down but immediately climbed back up (because that's what the market would bear) and didn't go down until (presumably) the govt had a word just after the importation spike

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the green band is profits

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Oh I misread the chart. So, the prices indicate that the petrol companies didn't take advantage of the tax waiver. Presumably because they knew it was temporary and people would notice though, I don't think the same will happen when (if?) the tax is removed entirely

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

klen dool posted:

Oh I misread the chart. So, the prices indicate that the petrol companies didn't take advantage of the tax waiver. Presumably because they knew it was temporary and people would notice though, I don't think the same will happen when (if?) the tax is removed entirely

Looks like a spike in profits when the importer cost was coming down, which isn't hugely surprising if price setting lags a bit

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Isn't the distributors margin quite a lot larger after the fuel tax went back up?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/henrycooke/status/1748076119843074437?s=20
Jfc
I knew this stuff was coming but it's crazy reading this regardless.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 18, 2024

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Well that could get pretty spicy if it's real.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

What does that mean exactly

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What does that mean exactly

I feel like I should do an effort post on the public law implications of the principles, but pending that read this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Maori_Council_v_Attorney-General

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The proposed change essentially removes the treaty as a factor in NZ law.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Basically what Rawiri said, the intent is to erase Te Tiriti and remove any special status or rights for Māori people.

That said that leaked paragraph does seem to be a bit on the nose, it doesn't quite read right, item 6 especially. Then again with the current lot who knows.

Saros fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 18, 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

You reckon? I think it looks plausible, it's certainly accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Definitely plausible. From some asking around the general consensus seems to be it is David Seymour initiated red meat for the racists intended to make a stir then die in select committee. Similar stuff is in the act coalition agreement.

It's doing triple duty of making leftists/Māori angry, distracting from other shady things and pandering to the base.