Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is Paprika the go-to app for recipe organization? It's 5 bucks but if it's good and doesn't have a subscription i'm happy to pay it.

Crouton gets my vote for recipe stuff. Has all the features of the others I looked at and excellent automatic import from OCR or share sheet. Looks nice, too and has subscription or one-time fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Clear, a great to-do app, just released its long-awaited update after all these years

My referral link gets you a special theme or something

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 9, 2024

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I paid for it a million years ago I think. What is their plan to make money here? “Free to use” is a bit of a red flag these days.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Themes, app icons, and other cosmetic items can be purchased for a couple bucks.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Welp, looks like after several years ads in Outlook for iOS finally caught up with me. What is another, actually good, email client with something like the focused inbox that Outlook provides? Paid apps are on the table if that's what it takes to get something that doesn't suck and won't give me covert ads that look like emails.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Good news: Nearly all the popular 3rd party clients have focused inbox in some form.

Bad news: Nearly all the popular 3rd party clients have added AI features in some form and they REALLY want you to use them.

I’ve used Airmail for several years. It’s a bit slower and clunkier than the rest but it has a good set of basic features, available on Mac and I think it’s a reasonable $10/yr subscription.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Where do ads appear in Outlook? I use it for my work email because I like to keep that in a separate app. Do I not see ads because it’s linked to an Office 355 account?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

If you have Office 365 you’re a “paying user” so you don’t get ads. If you did get them they would appear at the top of your emails in the “Other” tab while using focused inbox mode.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I like Spark. I’m sure they’re harvesting my data or something.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I used to use outlook but I ditched it because it was always clunky. There would always be just a teeny bit of lag; or emails would stop syncing every once in a while.

I swapped back to the default mail app and haven’t gone back. (I’ve never liked focus inbox though and I kept it off).

There was a time when mail.app was lacking, especially with conversation views; but it’s caught up now.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Corb3t posted:

I like Spark. I’m sure they’re harvesting my data or something.

I liked Spark, but I stopped using them when their new version came out cause I didn't like the UI. These days I would have some extra security concerns related to Russian cyberattacks. I would avoid online services tied to either country as there is a lot of tit for tat, inside jobs, etc. A big one recently:
Exclusive: Russian hackers were inside Ukraine telecoms giant for months

www.reuters.com - Fri, 05 Jan 2024 posted:

• Kyivstar hack destroyed telecoms giant's "core", he says
  • Russian military spy unit Sandworm seen behind hack
  • SBU caught Sandworm in earlier telecoms breach

LONDON, Jan 4 (Reuters) - Russian hackers were inside Ukrainian telecoms giant Kyivstar's system from at least May last year in a cyberattack that should serve as a "big warning" to the West, Ukraine's cyber spy chief told Reuters.

The hack, one of the most dramatic since Russia's full-scale invasion nearly two years ago, knocked out services provided by Ukraine's biggest telecoms operator for some 24 million users for days from Dec. 12.

In an interview, Illia Vitiuk, head of the Security Service of Ukraine's (SBU) cybersecurity department, disclosed exclusive details about the hack, which he said caused "disastrous" destruction and aimed to land a psychological blow and gather intelligence.

"This attack is a big message, a big warning, not only to Ukraine, but for the whole Western world to understand that no one is actually untouchable," he said. He noted Kyivstar was a wealthy, private company that invested a lot in cybersecurity.

The attack wiped "almost everything", including thousands of virtual servers and PCs, he said, describing it as probably the first example of a destructive cyberattack that "completely destroyed the core of a telecoms operator."

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I just gave up and stuck with Apple Mail because there’s no real good email app and tbh email isn’t that important.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tried Spark and I really don't like it. I get what it's going for, but it's filtering out too much stuff or filtering it into "Notifications." Maybe I'll try the default Apple Mail app again and see how it goes.

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Demon_Corsair posted:

What is everyone’s go to timer app? I still can’t get over how bad the default app is.

I really liked MultiTimer when I needed to work with multiple timers.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/multitimer-multiple-timers/id973421278

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Branch Nvidian posted:

Tried Spark and I really don't like it. I get what it's going for, but it's filtering out too much stuff or filtering it into "Notifications." Maybe I'll try the default Apple Mail app again and see how it goes.

Mail.app is SO close to being perfect, but a few annoyances:

- Dark Mode doesn’t render the message itself in dark mode. Rest of the app, message list, etc., is, but the messages themselves remain blinding. Other apps have solved this issue, not sure why Apple can’t.

- No option to go back to list after clicking on a new message. This leads to marking new messages as read when that’s not my intention more often than I like. Annoying.

- Right-click - Open Link in Background/CMD-Click on link to do same work INCREDIBLY inconsistently. I rely on this a LOT and it’s aggravating as hell to be background-opening a bunch of links in an email at once and then one of them brings Safari into focus unexpectedly but macos thinks Mail still has focus so when you alt-tab to get back to mail it brings up a THIRD app you weren’t recently in at all and it’s just such a dogshit annoying bug that has existed forever, SO annoying.

The thing that kills me is that Mimestream has all of these issues fixed. It is God’s Perfect Email app. But it only works with Gmail, which I don’t use. Dev has said he’s hoping to implement I/RMAP support sometime in the future but it’s not the priority (iOS/iPadOS apps are). I would sacrifice at least a small animal, if not a least-favored niece or nephew, to have this app working with Fastmail.

Everything else I’ve tried, and I’ve tried them all, is even worse than Mail.app. Spark used to be good but they’ve ruined it; any email app that exposes unhide-able AI interface widgets and buttons can gently caress right off.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

So funny enough, I love Mail on macOS, but without Smart Mailboxes, it doesn't do much for me on iOS. If you've ever gotten accustomed to gmail's "Categories" sorting buckets, I don't think iOS Mail really offers an alternative way of going about sorting and filtering your e-mails. I'd love to be wrong though - somebody tell me theres some sort of secret setting I'm not familiar with.

Spark's little lightning bolt AI icon at the top right of the screen when opening an email isn't that much of a detriment to the overall app for me, and Mail for iOS has gotten a lot better - What initially brought me to Spark was per-e-mail swiping gestures and being able to snooze e-mails for later, which I believe Mail for iOS has nowadays.

So yeah, I use Mail.app for macOS but not iOS since it lacks Smart Mailboxes. Also, why does it feel like every Mail app has complete disregard for iOS's design guidelines? Even Apple's app doesn't have a proper bottom navbar and using the back swipe gesture can really throw you off in some areas (or has for me in the past). It feels like the vast majority of mail apps are missing a lot of features - Will any let you setup filters natively within the app without dumping you to their non-mobile optimized webgui like Gmail does? I've been tempted to even pony up the $99 a year for a Hey.com membership to try that out.

Here's my smart mailboxes if anybody is curious:

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 11, 2024

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Man I miss dark sky's absolute to reliably tell me if it was going to rain in the next few hours. Does any app have that?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Skeezy posted:

I just gave up and stuck with Apple Mail because there’s no real good email app and tbh email isn’t that important.

this tbqh, couple it with server side rules on fastmail or gmail and it can do just about anything worth doing with email

same thing with the reminders app, i finally dumpstered omnifocus for it

too many apps went subscription only and i just can't justify paying on an ongoing basis for "excellent" when apple is right there for free with "good enough"

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

EC posted:

Man I miss dark sky's absolute to reliably tell me if it was going to rain in the next few hours. Does any app have that?

Same. I've tried Carrot Weather, which was good when it could still use Dark Sky as a weather source. That source is no longer available and none of the other sources are as reliable.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

You’d think Apple’s weather app would do the trick since they you know, bought out Dark Sky.

Anyways I just use the weather app and look outside to see if it’s gonna rain.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The few times I've used it the precipitation animation in weather.app has been spot on, even in the mountains. But I rarely need detail at that level (my eyes work fine) so I don't know if it's right every time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

The few times I've used it the precipitation animation in weather.app has been spot on, even in the mountains. But I rarely need detail at that level (my eyes work fine) so I don't know if it's right every time.

It’s been incredibly accurate for me in LA and here in Hawaii.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

bobfather posted:

You can also say "set a timer for 5 pm" and she will do the math and set that timer, whereas before she’d say "I can’t do that but I’ll set an alarm instead" causing my alarm list to become massive.

Holy piss this is amazing

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Boris Galerkin posted:

Holy piss this is amazing

You can name the timer too so you don't forget what the hell you set a timer for ~3 hours ago.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah it’s kind of bizarre if you think about it that “set an alarm for five minutes” is a perfectly reasonable ask in English but confuses the voice assistants because alarms and timers are distinct concepts.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
“Set an alarm for five minutes” makes no sense in English, unless you add “from now” to the end.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's definitely not the most correct way to ask, but if you told it to a human they'd understand your intention and do it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My dad doesn’t understand alarms/timers/reminders and just uses the alarm app for all of the above.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

“Set an alarm for five minutes” makes no sense in English, unless you add “from now” to the end.

It makes perfect sense because you understood it without any ambiguity.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Right. He wants an alarm to sound for five minutes.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

No, he wants the process of setting up the alarm to take five minutes.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Been playing with Apple journal but why is this not a desktop app? Surely that would be the best form factor !?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Been playing with Apple journal but why is this not a desktop app? Surely that would be the best form factor !?

Less data to scarf

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

My dad doesn’t understand alarms/timers/reminders and just uses the alarm app for all of the above.

Alexa still treats them as different and it’s annoying.

“Set an alarm for five minutes” “Alarm set for 10:13 AM”
“Set a timer for five minutes” “Timer set for five minutes.”

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a good go-to app that will take a minute by minute sampling of your gps location and map it? I know workouts does exactly this, but I'm thinking more in a travel/tourism context.

I'm looking back to all my trips abroad and wishing I had a better way of remembering the little routes I took and side streets I visited, and unless it triggers a workout on my watch I don't really have a log of being there after the fact.

I know there's some built in iOS functionality to track significant locations but I don't think that's really exposed.

Phone might not be the best option here for battery life, but I guess until I hear otherwise that's kind of my plan for this year, so I want to see if there are any good options.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

some kinda jackal posted:

Is there a good go-to app that will take a minute by minute sampling of your gps location and map it? I know workouts does exactly this, but I'm thinking more in a travel/tourism context.

I'm looking back to all my trips abroad and wishing I had a better way of remembering the little routes I took and side streets I visited, and unless it triggers a workout on my watch I don't really have a log of being there after the fact.

I know there's some built in iOS functionality to track significant locations but I don't think that's really exposed.

Phone might not be the best option here for battery life, but I guess until I hear otherwise that's kind of my plan for this year, so I want to see if there are any good options.

Google Maps has a "timeline" feature which does this.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome, thank you! I typically default to Apple Maps so I'll give GM a shot next time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want something more involved in the GIS direction, look at Map Plus. It's a lot of app to get just gps tracks but it's also more powerful.

Their documentation for the feature: https://duweis.com/support/viewdoc.html?l=en&f=mp&sf=track&k=010_record

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Gaia GPS can record GPS tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

If you took/take a lot of pics, just using the Places album in Photos will let you reconstruct a route too.