Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

well why not posted:

we still talk about DOOM and Crysis

Only gamers will get that joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Branch Nvidian posted:

Only gamers will get that joke.

Back to you, Steve

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

Back to you, Steve

Thanks, Steve

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks, Steve

You can literally see it!

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I'm nervous that once I build a new $2000 PC I will just end up loading a Doom 2 source port with going down dot wad again.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Former Human posted:

I'm nervous that once I build a new $2000 PC I will just end up loading a Doom 2 source port with going down dot wad again.

Nonsense. It’s 2024. You can play Overboard now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Former Human posted:

last week I was using my desktop to play Quake II 64 (how the hell do you actually write-out that title)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Former Human posted:

Some of the games I've played the most in my 2021 new PC have been Melvor Idle, Marvel Snap, Cookie Clicker, and Vampire Survivors

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

HKR posted:

I dunno about this. Back in the magazine era Quake III was the defacto test game for a *really* long time, even post Half Life 2. I think it sometimes has to do with how built in benchmarks are few and far between in games, and when they do exist sometimes they give very inconsistent numbers. Additionally, if games are constantly rotated, gamers who haven't upgraded their card for a while will have no numbers to compare to. I know people who are still on 900 series nvidia cards starting to think about upgrading, and a long tail game like tomb raider can give them a frame of reference for how much performance they're going to gain.

id Tech 3 had some pretty popular games using it for a number of years after Q3 released so I feel like it stayed relevant for longer in that different era.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Former Human posted:

Psh, everyone knows the real stress test is Nuts.wad.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
whose nuts.wad?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sagacity posted:

whose nuts.wad?

*inhales deeply*

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sagacity posted:

whose nuts.wad?

Make your computer choke on DEEZ NUTS!

...but seriously, it is kinda funny watching computers that were only possible in our wildest dreams and science fiction when Nuts.wad came out STILL get reduced to single-frames-per-second moments from this mod is pretty entertaining.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
To be fair, nuts.wad is much more playable these days. It’s just that one spike of like 7000 monsters waking up when you fire the first shot that hammers a core for a little bit. Immediately afterwards things settle down to a reasonable framerate. (This is also why you grab the invulnerability before firing that first shot, or do it up on the platform, so you can survive while everything wakes up.)

There’s not really any great way to multithread Doom’s core game logic, so nuts.wad is only going to happen without slowdowns whenever Gordon Moore awakens from his grave with some forbidden knowledge.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"a tome which tells you how to design a CPU that violates Moore's Law" sounds like a neat mcguffin for a Delta Green scenario

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

"a tome which tells you how to design a CPU that violates Moore's Law" sounds like a neat mcguffin for a Delta Green scenario

NON-EUCLIDEAN PROCESSOR GEOMETRIES

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Arivia posted:

To be fair, nuts.wad is much more playable these days. It’s just that one spike of like 7000 monsters waking up when you fire the first shot that hammers a core for a little bit. Immediately afterwards things settle down to a reasonable framerate. (This is also why you grab the invulnerability before firing that first shot, or do it up on the platform, so you can survive while everything wakes up.)

There’s not really any great way to multithread Doom’s core game logic, so nuts.wad is only going to happen without slowdowns whenever Gordon Moore awakens from his grave with some forbidden knowledge.

Nuts.wad has always been playable and even gets normal framerates these days. The trick is to use something that isn't gzdoom.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

For certain definitions of playable. "Start wad, face the back wall, fire pistol once, go make a sandwich, and the game may have calmed down once you get back".

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Randalor posted:

For certain definitions of playable. "Start wad, face the back wall, fire pistol once, go make a sandwich, and the game may have calmed down once you get back".

No I do mean playable framerates. Again you're talking exclusively about gzdoom here, it's never been a problem for prboom+ and related.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
IIRC the main bottleneck was when everything wakes up simultaneously. It'd freeze for several seconds and then settle into reasonable framerates once all the enemy wake-up logic finished. If you were playing pacifist you could avoid that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rocket Pan posted:

No I do mean playable framerates. Again you're talking exclusively about gzdoom here, it's never been a problem for prboom+ and related.

You said always playable, that's how I played it back in the original Doom. Sure, it's funny to load it up in GZDoom, but the wad itself existed long before GZDoom.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Randalor posted:

You said always playable, that's how I played it back in the original Doom. Sure, it's funny to load it up in GZDoom, but the wad itself existed long before GZDoom.
It wasn't very playable in ZDoom either

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I just gave it a whirl in dsda-doom on my 7600k and it went without hitches, even when I fired that first shot. On the other hand, the cleanup with cheated invincibility and ammo was even more boring than I expected it would be. Good job BRPD, you got one on us all with that thousand cyberdemons.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Randalor posted:

If you meant the actual original doom, then certainly if you go back that far, but it didn't work at all is the catch. It very quickly runs into the sprite limit showing you only a very small handful of monsters in the first room and crashed in the intermission screen. You couldn't use it to performance test anything. :v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/lidongyx/status/1748901846285181279?t=EVkcYSYADugmAx86J5mXTw&s=19

Machine Translation posted:

Huang Jen-Hsun these days in the participation of NVIDIA's annual meeting of the office of the North, but also actually dressed in the Northeast flower vest twisting rice-planting song, if not a short video of multiple angles of the actual shot, so that it is difficult to believe that this is not generated by the AI.

You know that today's NVIDIA can be said to be in the sky, the market value is very likely to exceed Amazon and Google this year.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That second photo should be on every Nvidia news story for the rest of time like gaming media uses that Witcher 3 shot of Geralt in the bath for any Witcher related story.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
linus really told the company to put in effort for this laptop review with 4 different hosts and alot of charts from "labs" wonder why he didn't do the same for other laptops?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUCm4wKarpQ

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Certainly not anything that could be a potential conflict of interest

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

wargames posted:

linus really told the company to put in effort for this laptop review with 4 different hosts and alot of charts from "labs" wonder why he didn't do the same for other laptops?

Other than the investment he talks about 6 seconds in and 35 seconds in? The way you worded that implies there's a secret...

Though what's the last proper review they've done of a laptop to compare to? At a skim https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwnrIWJoxk4 this one seems to have a good amount of graphs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Had a weird dream the other night where Giant Bomb hired CathodeRayDude

No idea what my brain was trying to tell me with that

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dylan16807 posted:

Other than the investment he talks about 6 seconds in and 35 seconds in? The way you worded that implies there's a secret...

Though what's the last proper review they've done of a laptop to compare to? At a skim https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwnrIWJoxk4 this one seems to have a good amount of graphs.
People who're materially or financially involved with things they review are required to disclose it, not because it absolves them of conflict of interest, but because it lets people know that they should disregard the opinions and take the facts with several grains of salt.

Other people with more self-respect usually avoid reviewing things they're materially or financially involved with, because they know it makes them look bad regardless of them properly disclosing it.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 24, 2024

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Other people with more self-respect usually avoid reviewing things they're materially or financially involved with, because they know it makes them look bad regardless of them properly disclosing it.
That's true but I think it's clear that if he was going to take that route he wouldn't have invested in the first place.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

wargames posted:

Hmm, that is odd. Maybe Linus says something about it himself in the video? Why, he does!

Linus from around 0:35-1:05 posted:

"Trying to be objective doesn't change the fact that I have a vested interest in Framework's success, which makes reviewing their products a bit tricky. So, I don't want you to take my word for it. The rest of the script, I haven't even read it. To recuse myself from our review: Alex, our resident laptop connoisseur; Jake, who actually holds an active Framework 16 preorder; and John, from the lab, will tell you all about it. Both the good, and the bad. [crosses fingers] Uh, fingers crossed that they [ed: presumably Framework] haven't bit off more than they can chew with this thing."

Pretty sure the labs stuff is new at least in part because the labs themselves are new. The review is overall positive but not really glowing - it calls out the keyboard flex and screen quality as substantial pain points which potential buyers should watch out for.

I guess you could say that Linus should ignore Framework's existence from a content perspective if he wants to remain truly objective while being invested in them, but - considering that part of the point of the (not very large, at least initially) investment was to promote the mission of repairable hardware - keeping it quiet seems a bit contrary to that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

kirbysuperstar posted:

That you watch too much Youtube

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cyrano4747 posted:

That you watch too much Youtube

Well that much is true

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
New good retro tech channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFZeSaMBnZw

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Eletriarnation posted:

I guess you could say that Linus should ignore Framework's existence from a content perspective if he wants to remain truly objective while being invested in them, but - considering that part of the point of the (not very large, at least initially) investment was to promote the mission of repairable hardware - keeping it quiet seems a bit contrary to that.

Investing in any hardware manufacturer, no matter what the reason, means he and his organization can't really do objective reviews of anything Framework sells. It was a poor ethics choice, but that's typical of Linus.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BobHoward posted:

Investing in any hardware manufacturer, no matter what the reason, means he and his organization can't really do objective reviews of anything Framework sells. It was a poor ethics choice, but that's typical of Linus.

He could probably frame it like his reviews are just entertainment and not meant to be taken seriously because come on look at that clown

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

kirbysuperstar posted:

you watch too much youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

BobHoward posted:

Not just what Framework sells; he now has a financial incentive to make all products that compete with Framework look bad, so all laptop reviews or whatever the gently caress else Framework sells. Plus because he's not talking about Framework in those videos, disclosure is entirely at his discretion

Plus it also involves everything Framework might sell. All sorts of products that might never make it past the marketing or r&d phases are compromised by his knowledge they might make him money one day, so he can preempt talking down competitors before there's even a known conflict of interest