Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Coca Koala posted:

There's two easy* ways that I know of to remove bamboo permanently! The key is that you have to get the full root cluster out of the ground - if you just trim the bamboo, you're never going to get it. So one way is to trim the bamboo as close to the ground as you can, and then spend a few hours just going absolutely ham with the pickaxe you found in the shed in your back yard when you moved into the house; this will take you an afternoon and be pretty exhausting, but you'll clear maybe ten square feet of bamboo fairly straightforwardly.

The second way to do it is to take what I'm pretty sure was a toyota pickup truck from, I dunno, maybe 2008 or so? And get it up to what I'm going to guess was about fifty miles an hour, then make a HARD right turn into somebody's back yard. They were fleeing the police at the time, so if it doesn't work try committing some crimes first.

That'll get you around six feet of planted bamboo ripped right out of the ground. Your airbags WILL deploy when this happens, so if you have more bamboo you need to take out, you'll probably want to have a second truck lined up.

*good luck!

Finally some good advice in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I legit think that breaking up is a valid - if not the - solution to the coat OP's post.

I'm a big fan of outerwear and at this point I wouldn't be surprised if I own about as many jackets, blazers etc as shirts. There are some things I get on sale and some things that I'm willing to pay full price for and just happen to be on sale as a nice bonus. Either way, clothing shopping can take a lot of time/effort and it can be difficult to get the exact copy of something that you got over a year ago (if not impossible). It's incredibly likely that $100 is also nowhere near enough to get a replacement cashmere jacket.

But my love of jackets isn't even really relevant. OP's gf took his poo poo without asking, gave it to a family member, who then refused to give it back OR compensate OP fairly. I wouldn't want to be with someone who steals my belongings and then calls me dumb for wanting them back.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm just frantically throwing coats at the pack of hungry dogs chasing me down the street furiously agreeing with each other

give your fiance a new coat and he'll be warm for a day. but teach a pack of hungry dogs how to wear coats and he'll be warm for life (after the dogs eat him)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Halloween Jack posted:

AITA for not wanting to give back the gifts my ex gave me?

If he’s Chinese, lol, lmao. Has no face.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
What's worse to deal with: kudzu or bamboo?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nocheez posted:

Giant hogweed.

Out-of-control blackberry can be annoying too.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Most Power Alex posted:

Honestly, breaking up maybe the solution. On the surface this is about a coat, but when you dig into it, it is about a serious difference in morales and ethics regarding how one treats others property. Better that this is resolved now than years later because it will absolutely come up again.

And again, and again, and again, provided he goes forward into marrying into this family.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Coca Koala posted:

It might be too late for you to put this advice to use, but the strategy that works here is to document absolutely everything that got damaged and roll it into the claim. The driver hit a column at the end of your driveway? Was there a light in it? That probably got damaged, and you claim it. Did he drive over your yard at all? That’s damaged landscaping, you want their insurance to repair it. Did they take out a fully grown rosebush? Start looking up how much those suckers cost, and make sure you get one that’s the same size.

A couple years ago, a guy tried to drive his pickup truck through my back yard by way of the wooden fence. Insurance offered us an absolute pittance to replace the fence (depreciated value, and only half of that because it’s on the property line so our neighbors are responsible for half), and this was when lumber prices were sky high. We got a few hundred dollars to replace the fence, but a few thousand dollars to replace the ten-foot-tall bamboo privacy fence that got ripped out by the roots when some dumbass drove a truck over it, so we used the bamboo money to build a new fence and had our landscape guy replant as much of the bamboo as he could before it died.

Thanks for the good advice, hopefully I won't need it in the future. In this case, (un?)fortunately they just struck our column. It was off to the side of the driveway and they had pulled in to turn around, then somehow gunned it backwards directly into the column. Just the back of their SUV hit it and demolished it (and the back of their vehicle and back windshield) without driving onto the lawn. There was a big stone slab on top of the column with a big stone planter on top and they both somehow survived undamaged, lol.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

I once lived in a house where the landlord planted blackberry bushes because they liked blackberries. The birds kept eating the berries, so they covered them in netting. This successfully kept the birds away from the berries, but the bushes got gigantic and were completely infested with spiders. Just insane numbers of spiders. So, there were berries, but nobody wanted to get them. Well, that's my blackberry story, thanks for listening.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Chewbecca posted:

AITA for telling my BIL to pay me $700 for my lost coat when I bought it for $100?

The cost of a coat may be your fiance my dude

So much arguing when dealing with someone who took your coat without asking is extremely simple:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh8OdlSXiDo

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

litany of gulps posted:

I once lived in a house where the landlord planted blackberry bushes because they liked blackberries. The birds kept eating the berries, so they covered them in netting. This successfully kept the birds away from the berries, but the bushes got gigantic and were completely infested with spiders. Just insane numbers of spiders. So, there were berries, but nobody wanted to get them. Well, that's my blackberry story, thanks for listening.

You should have left holes in the netting big enough for spider eating birbs but not berry eating ones.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

litany of gulps posted:

Im surprised no deer showed up to tear down the netting and eat all the blackberries and spiders

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Deformed Church posted:

Yeah I've got a friend who ended up with a £200 coat when she threw her Primark one on a spare chair in a little bar then went back at closing time and discovered her coat missing and a better one left over with none of the few people left in the bar claiming it. She left her number with the bartender in case someone came in asking about it but never got the call to swap it back.

I'm not giving this particular guy the benefit of the doubt, but I can see how someone could mostly innocently lose an expensive coat when they're drunk and threw it in a pile.

This seems like another reason not to live in climates that require heavy jackets. We just had our annual week of freezing weather, and it's simpler to not leave the house for a few days.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

RocketMermaid posted:

I think most of us are just saying that the way she treated him (loaning out his stuff without asking, lying, being dismissive and angry about the issue, siccing her dad on him) means that he shouldn't bend and that breakup is probably the best outcome here.

Yeh I get that. I just don't agree that he should immediately break up with his wife over the coat. I can imagine her covering over and hiding jt being out of shame and embarrassment instead of some form of immediate hateful disrespect, as well as the being annoyed at the money being a shame reaction as well. If this is the first time this has happened, which it seems like it is, then it seems like they have different values about treatment of stuff and could potentially come to an understanding moving forward from this. She's a jerk in her immediate reaction here, but people are jerks in relationships sometimes, I'd honestly need to see more going on to be like, yeh let's see that relationship end in tears, I need blood. I get the sense of two stubborn people butting heads, rather than a rotted out at the core relationship you can feel seeping from between some of these. But that's just my take, clearly.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 17, 2024

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
It's hard to be torn between loyalty to a partner and loyalty to a sibling I think. There's a lot we don't know. Doesn't justify her initial reaction but it may explain it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The relationship is still salvageable! They just need to come to an understanding that she can give away his stuff at will, dismiss his feelings, look him in the eye and lie to him, and insult him to his face. Really, he's basically the bad guy for refusing to compromise on this.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

the holy poopacy posted:

The relationship is still salvageable! They just need to come to an understanding that she can give away his stuff at will, dismiss his feelings, look him in the eye and lie to him, and insult him to his face. Really, he's basically the bad guy for refusing to compromise on this.

Look, if he lets her do it this time and just says not to do it again, she surely will not immediately do it again even though she's shown no signs of shame or anything but anger at being called out here. It's probably just a knee-jerk immediate reaction she had for a full week of getting angrier and angrier over her husband wanting a thing he owned and she took back. Having her parents harass him over it is just a thing that happens when you have a bad day.

It's almost depressing to imagine the kind of partners people are cool with in this thread, and that's before looking at the actual posts...

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Several pages ago, but this post is so darkly ironic to my own lived experience, here I go.

Panfilo posted:

I've seen a pattern on Reddit where there will be a thinly veiled transphobic/racist/misogynistic post and the very next day there's a Twitter/Facebook/SigHeilnet group posting screenshots and mocking this Totally Real reddit post.

An example of this is an anecdote from someone who claims to work in a senior facility for alzheimer patients talking about all the trans patients there are having freak outs about where their dick and balls went, as though senile/alzheimer people will suddenly forget they medically transitioned and start experiencing reverse... Dysphoria?

In an actual story from an actual Goon: my mom struggled with gender dysphoria since she was a small child. For 4 months now, she's been mentally gone in the next to last stages of vascular dementia. Like, "can't take care of any of her basic needs so a nursing home staff does them" and "yells at hallucinations at all times during the day at night" bad. Anyway, she's what we would now call nonbinary, she felt both male and female at once, and would get dysphoria if she had to present as too female. In her dementia, one of the things she fixates on during the day is thinking she's still a child and saying "My name is [Catalina's Mom]. I am a girl. I am a boy." over and over again.

So you know what, gently caress you, random internet person who made up what you thought was a plausible story to prove some stupid rear end :biotruths:. My mom is almost completely incapable of knowing who I am anymore; and even when she's that far gone, her body and brain didn't magically revert to "just female" because she was AFAB. gently caress you, gently caress your story, gently caress everyone who believed it, and gently caress everyone who shared it. I hope that one day, all of you can understand this poo poo for real, and develop some empathy and compassion for people with dementia, and people with gender dysphoria, so that your knowledge of the human experience can help you grow and become better, happier people who better understands the value of your lives.

[If you need a palate cleanser after that, please take this video of a opossum happily eating broccoli on your way out.]

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can I just beg this thread to have higher standards for their romantic partners than they would roommates in a college dorm? I'm sure a lot of you are assholes, but you still deserve better.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We get stories where people try to make it murky who the villain is and everyone ho hums it and moves on and this one where theres somebody coming in from the top rope with a chair people are going "well what the ref dont see dont count"

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Two more weeks of coat chat until Cowslips Warren is finally allowed to post fresh content again

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

greazeball posted:

Two more weeks of coat chat until Cowslips Warren is finally allowed to post fresh content again

I wonder what his shopping cart technique is

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Now I know, obviously, the man is wrong because timothy the mouse deserves unending praise, but i feel like making him experience the jaunt with a lactose intolerant with their own bedside cheese bag may be too much.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Barudak posted:

Now I know, obviously, the man is wrong because timothy the mouse deserves unending praise, but i feel like making him experience the jaunt with a lactose intolerant with their own bedside cheese bag may be too much.

Timothy Mouse is a gift we should all be thankful for every day.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Midnight Voyager posted:

can I just beg this thread to have higher standards for their romantic partners than they would roommates in a college dorm? I'm sure a lot of you are assholes, but you still deserve better.

my one and only dorm roommate was a great dude and i was a total slob. kinda regret that. sorry old roommate you deserved better

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Catalina posted:

Several pages ago, but this post is so darkly ironic to my own lived experience, here I go.

In an actual story from an actual Goon: my mom struggled with gender dysphoria since she was a small child. For 4 months now, she's been mentally gone in the next to last stages of vascular dementia. Like, "can't take care of any of her basic needs so a nursing home staff does them" and "yells at hallucinations at all times during the day at night" bad. Anyway, she's what we would now call nonbinary, she felt both male and female at once, and would get dysphoria if she had to present as too female. In her dementia, one of the things she fixates on during the day is thinking she's still a child and saying "My name is [Catalina's Mom]. I am a girl. I am a boy." over and over again.

So you know what, gently caress you, random internet person who made up what you thought was a plausible story to prove some stupid rear end :biotruths:. My mom is almost completely incapable of knowing who I am anymore; and even when she's that far gone, her body and brain didn't magically revert to "just female" because she was AFAB. gently caress you, gently caress your story, gently caress everyone who believed it, and gently caress everyone who shared it. I hope that one day, all of you can understand this poo poo for real, and develop some empathy and compassion for people with dementia, and people with gender dysphoria, so that your knowledge of the human experience can help you grow and become better, happier people who better understands the value of your lives.

[If you need a palate cleanser after that, please take this video of a opossum happily eating broccoli on your way out.]

I'm really sorry you're going through this. My father passed recently, and his biggest fear was always ending up in that position because that's what happened to his mom. I can't imagine how hard this must be for you.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Giant hogweed.

Giant Hogweed is a horror I would not wish upon anyone. Good lord. It is a plant the devil designed.

My garden backs onto a stream, I'm battling a tiny bit of Giant Hogweed (finally seems to have been conquered) and Himalayan balsam, which was introduced to the UK as a very pretty ornamental plant in the 18th Century but is now classed as a weed and an invasive plant. It really likes the Scottish soil. To the point the local council organises "Balsam Bashing" events where some serious men go around the rivers and canals with heavy duty equipment, trying to tame it so that anything else can get a chance to grow in its' place.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Loaning the coat out without his permission is something they could potentially be worked through. Refusing to take responsibility, being dismissive of her husband's feelings, and calling her dad on speakerphone to try to browbeat him into submission, not so much IMO.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, that they're willing to put way more effort into getting him to shut up about it than they are into fixing it is a red flag. They could do an apology, a whip-round to save up money for a replacement, or look around to see where it might be available cheap, but instead it's the bare minimum and a bunch of bullshit.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

420 Gank Mid posted:

Most people learn not to lose their coats after the 3rd or 4th time the 1st grade teacher sends you home with a note safety pinned to it telling your parents you keep forgetting it

Most 1st graders aren't drunk when they lose their coats though.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Human Tornada posted:

Loaning the coat out without his permission is something they could potentially be worked through. Refusing to take responsibility, being dismissive of her husband's feelings, and calling her dad on speakerphone to try to browbeat him into submission, not so much IMO.

This is the legit red flag right here.

I can see the old version of myself trying to justify that this was ok, and just something that could be worked through, but this is a full court press to just disregard the guy coming from her and her entire family. The cherry on the top is the dad questioning the guy's manhood over his lost property.

I can't even defend loaning the coat out without his permission - maybe she has a mindset where that kind of thing would fly with her family (and judging by their reactions, that may be so) but that's not how the guy she's with feels about it. Maybe they haven't been together long enough for this facet of her personality to be seen, or maybe it came up in minor little ways before this that weren't as noticeable or just easily dismissed.

Or maybe she just doesn't have that kind of respect for his feelings and belongings.

Either way, she assumed that he was good with the borrowing of the coat and the assumption was a mistake. The reaction to it - to me - feels like she and her whole family are minimizing him and his feelings, and that's a poo poo thing to do. Were I in his position, I'd express that clearly, but my foot would already be halfway out the door. I think that the immediate jump to conference call in reinforcements the first time around isn't leading me to feel like she's going to hear him out.

anyway yeah like that goon said earlier ya'll deserve better, make sure to respect yourselves

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

420 Gank Mid posted:

Most people learn not to lose their coats after the 3rd or 4th time the 1st grade teacher sends you home with a note safety pinned to it telling your parents you keep forgetting it

Lol I live next to an elementary school and at the end of the year they have this huge pile of lost coats they just give away to anyone who'll take them off their hands.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Weirdly remembering an upside of school uniforms is that if you lose your jumper you can just grab one from the lost and found that's more or less your size.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If she gets to loan his poo poo out without asking permission, then obviously it's okay for him to loan her poo poo out without asking permission. Fair is fair, motherfuckers
Bet you her lovely attitude about it will disappear right quick when it's her possessions that have a chance of disappearing. Or she'll quadruple down and come up with all manner of "It's okay for your stuff, but not mine because:" excuses that he can use as justification for breaking things off right then and there. He can't lose!

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 17, 2024

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Nocheez posted:

Japanese knotweed, Reynoutria japonica. Takes over land, spreads, can regenerate from tiny pieces of roots left in the ground.

If you're unlucky, it grows into your house and destroys the foundation.

Hello, this is my house now!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I couldn't find my coat this morning lol. I did find a coat that is my size but I swear I've never seen this coat in my life. I therefore conclude I am that guy's fiance's brother.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You were visited by THE GHOST OF THE COAT OF CONTENTION.

Forward this message to ten contacts from your list to enjoy its warmth. If you don't forward this message, your life will be ruined by a drunk at a wedding.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

steinrokkan posted:

You were visited by THE GHOST OF THE COAT OF CONTENTION.

Forward this message to ten contacts from your list to enjoy its warmth. If you don't forward this message, your life will be ruined by a drunk at a wedding.

If you’re really unlucky it will be your wedding

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
There is a world where loaning out the guy's jacket is an honest difference of opinion in terms of how you conceptualize belongings in a relationship. I can see that. What I can't see is when it becomes clear your partner disagrees with your assumption so you start lying to their face repeatedly, refuse to own up to your mistake, refuse to take responsibility for your brother's loss/selling of the coat you enabled, and then get your whole family to insult the significant other you wronged, first (charitably) accidentally and then clearly deliberately.

She wasn't necessarily the rear end in a top hat for loaning the coat. She definitely was for how she and her brother acted after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AITA for telling my wife she won't be receiving any of my gambling winnings?

quote:

I'm a 36-year-old man, and my spouse is 33. We've been a strong team for 7 years, married for the last 5.

I earn a good $145k a year, while my spouse brings in about $65k. We're comfortable but not extravagant in our city - it's HCOL. With no kids in the picture yet, we each get $600 a month for personal leisure. We are very fortunate to not ever have issues with bills, and we save for our retirement. My spouse enjoys gourmet cooking classes and weekend getaways, while I regularly need an adrenaline rush. I used to ski religiously, but I tore my ACL and for the last 2 years haven't been able to ski.

Lately, I've found that buzz sportsbetting on stake. I bet on my two favorite NBA teams every Monday and Thursday, with a set limit of $80 from my discretionary funds, never touching our joint account. Usually, it just brings an extra edge to the game but this week, I won big — a surprising $900. Ecstatic, I decided to buy a DJI drone that I'd been eyeing, which cost about $650. When my spouse discovered how much I spent, they were disappointed. She argued that such a win should be considered a shared windfall and part of it should go towards a couples cooking class or another weekend trip. Separately she also had been hoping to use any extra funds for a home renovation project.

I countered, saying that the win was from my individual entertainment budget and thus mine to spend. I don't demand to go on her trips (sometimes she goes with friends), so I felt this was fair. However, she told her mom (a known local rumor spreader) and I'm now being told how selfish I was.

Am I really the bad guy for wanting to enjoy my unexpected windfall as I please?

AITAH for eating before my date arrived to the restaurant?

quote:

So for context, I'm not a foodie. I eat to get full and not as an experience. I'll often eat at home before dinner outings just because I don't want to wait and rather enjoy the experience of the outting, which for me doesnt involve the eating portion.

I met this girl online and we agreed on meeting at a restaurant for dinner to get to know each other more. Fast forward day of our date we agreed to meet at 9 pm. Now my day was super busy with work and I didn't get to eat lunch, and it's almost 8 pm, and I'm starving so I get ready and head to the date still having no food.

I like getting to a date early so I can check out the environment, pick the beat seats and just prepare in general so I arrived about 45 mins early this time.

Still starving I decided I should eat to get that out of the way or I'll be hungry and cranky having to wait another hour or so before I can eat. I finished my meal and ordered a cocktail, by this point my date is almost arriving.

She gets to the restaurant and we instantly click, she's smiling and we're having great conversation. She's touching my hand. It's over all going extremely well. Eventually she asks if I would like to order some food to which I respond "No thank you I'm not hungry" and she insists saying she doesn't want to eat alone but I tell her don't worry and eat and that I am enjoying my cocktail.

So we call the waiter over and she starts asking him for recommendations to which he responds with no ill intentions that it seemed I really enjoyed the tacos so maybe she should try them.

At this point she's confused and asks what does that mean so I told her I ate some tacos before she arrived. She immediately becomes furious. Saying I'm rude and who eats before a date has even arrived. I explained to her that my goal was to get to know her and the eati g portion wasn't important.

Regardless the whole mood changed. She ordered some food, ate and made an excuse to have to go leave. I haven't heard from her since then and that was last night.

So AITAH?