Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

IOwnCalculus posted:

If they do I don't remember it, but I do remember coming across a slate that was basically the same as Delgado's / Naeva's directives to take over anything, except Eclipse.

They really are just copy/paste of each other.

Spacers and Va'run have them too. Everyone was sure to record their motivations on slates and pass them out to the membership.

And of course there's the random NPC bark that helpfully explains that both sides fund Ecliptic, for reasons. You only ever see maybe one of those reasons, in the UC questline, but they do, trust us.

It would be interesting to see the supposed tensions between the UC and Freestar expressed through a series of proxy battles between merc groups or something. Maybe having some kind of tie in to the big MacGuffin of the game. Maybe they begin to think that the Starborn are some new faction working for the other, as some of Constellation speculate could happen... but, you know, instead of a couple lines of dialog from one of your companions, it's a thing that has some effect on the game's story.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I thought ecliptic were like an angry cyborg cult, which is way cooler than just mercenaries

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Yeah they are just the gunners.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I still have no idea what the gently caress they were about. Like, OK, they're mercs, but why are they perma-aggro to me? Who's hiring them?

I probably missed a data slate or something but jesus, you shouldn't be able to just miss the motivation of one of the 4 major groups that's consistently shooting at you.

Compare that to the snake cultists. I'm not going to say they were masterfully written, but at the very least they clearly spelled it out: these guys are religious fanatics, most of their people calmed the gently caress down after the war, these are the renegades who are still trying to kill everyone in the galaxy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It is not explained why Ecliptic is permanently hostile to you. It is explained why you're running into them in 1/4th of all the POIs you enter (it's essentially the same reason as the Spacers, Pirates, and Va'run)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

And of course there's the random NPC bark that helpfully explains that both sides fund Ecliptic, for reasons. You only ever see maybe one of those reasons, in the UC questline, but they do, trust us.

(One of) the funny things, to me, is if you tell Sysdef to gently caress off after you get hauled in for stealing a sandwich, the Ecliptic are attacking Naeva at the exact same point anyways, so "the mercs sysdef threw into an obviously losing situation to make their plant look better" in one situation are...sysdef's only committed force to try and kill the 2IC of their ostensibly greatest enemy?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's also not explained why the gunners are hostile to you either that I can recall. At least in fo3 they spent the time to have the mercs occasionally have "kill the protagonist" notes on them

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Azhais posted:

It's also not explained why the gunners are hostile to you either that I can recall. At least in fo3 they spent the time to have the mercs occasionally have "kill the protagonist" notes on them

You’re wandering around killing people and taking all their stuff. That’s their job and they won’t tolerate nonunion scabs.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

The Lone Badger posted:

You’re wandering around killing people and taking all their stuff. That’s their job and they won’t tolerate nonunion scabs.

You kid, but I just had the vision of a long quest kicking off the first time you steal something. Like a Thieves Guild version of the Dark Brotherhood. Dudes comes after you, having notes about orders and locations. As you discover more and more, you realize that this Thieves Guild is proud, powerful and most of all, don’t take kindly to strangers doing what they’re doing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
What I'm getting from a number of posts is people like the general Bethesda game design and quests concept. But pretty please could we have a product that is actually good?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That game exists, it's called New Vegas.

And hopefully Fallout: London, but we won't know for another two months.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/5971

SKK's fast start mod seems pretty good. You don't have to deal with the tutorial section at all and can start at yalltown or the fish rig.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I didn't mind the opening. It's relatively short, and it leads to one of the more organic poi/missions in the game, the pirate base that launched the attack on the mine. That led to (was? It's been a while) an abandoned lab where scientists had been weaponizing terrormorphs, and if you listen to all the stupid recordings in there you get at least one unique dialogue option during the related quest later ("actually, I already know who you are" when the lead scientist introduces themselves).

Tankbuster posted:

still, its a nice thing to have when starting another playthrough or testing mods out.

I wondered why they didn't start ng+ at the point where you wake up on the floor but this actually might be why, or just to shorten it up 90%

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 16, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
still, its a nice thing to have when starting another playthrough or testing mods out.

Inspector Hound posted:

I wondered why they didn't start ng+ at the point where you wake up on the floor but this actually might be why, or just to shorten it up 90%

It would probably be halfway through the tutorial section and there would be all sorts of scripts firing. Earlier fallout 4 alt-start mods had the same issue.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 16, 2024

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

DancingShade posted:

What I'm getting from a number of posts is people like the general Bethesda game design and quests concept. But pretty please could we have a product that is actually good?

Something with a mild amount of effort and an actually differentish idea. NASApunk was really just post-apocalyptic factions emerging from conflict, but in space and with the universe not quite as destroyed ( though it seems like everything is abandoned ).

Making a bland setting that rests on the horrors of mecha and bioweapons giving reason to their dumb setup is kinda hilarious to then not have mechs in the game at all.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Pretty sure macready in fo4 is on the gunners bad side because he quit the gunners but still does Gunner Crimes on their turf

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The gunners in my fo4 save canonically hate me because they came up red in my VATS and I shot first

DancingShade posted:

I'm probably repeating myself because it's been on my mind, but I really wish there was a universe where FO76 released as a solo singleplayer gaas-less game, just you and the scorched aftermath and the wasteland, just to see what the response to that would have been in a vaacuum without all the other baggage

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I would have really liked fo76 without the people

The game made it really easy for people to grief you and they could follow you from server to server and ruin your fun

Also cheats/duping were rampant so even a group of people couldn't take out the rear end in a top hat

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I would like a Fallout 76 you could mod. I only play the games to mod them.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Iacen posted:

You kid, but I just had the vision of a long quest kicking off the first time you steal something. Like a Thieves Guild version of the Dark Brotherhood. Dudes comes after you, having notes about orders and locations. As you discover more and more, you realize that this Thieves Guild is proud, powerful and most of all, don’t take kindly to strangers doing what they’re doing.

Terry Pratchett's Discworld has this, actually, and it covers everything from street thugs and burglars to big business scams and industrial espionage. Anyone who wants to do A Thievery has to be a card-carrying, dues-paying member (or hire one) or pay a massive fine (often a call to the Assassin's Guild) when they get found out.

Everyone ironically likes the system because a "mugging" involves a guy showing you his Guild card, you exchange a fixed percentage of what you have, and you both go about your day. The Guild keeps the overall rate of theft low (bad for business if it gets too high) to maximize profit and enforcement is very vigorous and thorough.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I played ~75 hours of FO76's main quest and whatever expansion was out at the time towards the end of '22, and it was... ok? I didn't group up with anyone and nobody bugged me (you'd rarely see anyone anyway), so I just treated it as a single player game with connection issues and it was worth the 75% off price I paid. I really do like the setting and a moddable offline Appalachia would be great.

I also played it during one of those early free weekends before they added NPCs and it was dire. Just running between terminals killing ghouls and robots and wildlife that was in the way. I think that was before they added PvP protection too so it was a lot easier to get griefed.

Punished Ape fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 16, 2024

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

Terry Pratchett's Discworld has this, actually, and it covers everything from street thugs and burglars to big business scams and industrial espionage. Anyone who wants to do A Thievery has to be a card-carrying, dues-paying member (or hire one) or pay a massive fine (often a call to the Assassin's Guild) when they get found out.

Everyone ironically likes the system because a "mugging" involves a guy showing you his Guild card, you exchange a fixed percentage of what you have, and you both go about your day. The Guild keeps the overall rate of theft low (bad for business if it gets too high) to maximize profit and enforcement is very vigorous and thorough.

'Mugging Without A License' is one of the many 100% effective ways one can commit suicide in Ankh-Morpork

Punished Ape posted:

I played ~75 hours of FO76's main quest and whatever expansion was out at the time towards the end of '22, and it was... ok? I didn't group up with anyone and nobody bugged me (you'd rarely see anyone anyway), so I just treated it as a single player game with connection issues and it was worth the 75% off price I paid. I really do like the setting and a moddable offline Appalachia would be great.

I also played it during one of those early free weekends before they added NPCs and it was dire. Just running between terminals killing ghouls and robots and wildlife that was in the way. I think that was before they added PvP protection too so it was a lot easier to get griefed.

And if you HAVE friends to play with then it's great for "gently caress around and chat poo poo"

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 17, 2024

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

DarkHorse posted:

I was thinking about this, actually. It could even be a slightly silly quest.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The gunners in my fo4 save canonically hate me because they came up red in my VATS and I shot first

I'm probably repeating myself because it's been on my mind, but I really wish there was a universe where FO76 released as a solo singleplayer gaas-less game, just you and the scorched aftermath and the wasteland, just to see what the response to that would have been in a vaacuum without all the other baggage

It would still be a crafting shithole, so pretty popular overall still.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Patch beta delayed

https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/1747320687092494544

Guess the second attempt at fixing the asteroid bug didn’t take

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Ten years from now:

Tiny Timbs posted:

Guess the eighty third attempt at fixing the asteroid bug didn’t take

That will be just before the Elder Scrolls six launch.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Can somebody explain the initial tweet to me? Especially the "Here's some of what you can expect"-part? Because to me it looks like uh... a screenshot of some building with a pond or something? Pretty, but I've got no idea what they want to tell me with it.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Todd Howard must face justice for his crimes

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Wipfmetz posted:

Can somebody explain the initial tweet to me? Especially the "Here's some of what you can expect"-part? Because to me it looks like uh... a screenshot of some building with a pond or something? Pretty, but I've got no idea what they want to tell me with it.

I think it's supposed to be hinting at improvements to water reflections? Can't be assed to go stand in the same spot to compare.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

smoobles posted:

Todd Howard must face justice for his crimes
I surely didn't get that from that screenshot, but that's why I asked.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 18, 2024

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wipfmetz posted:

"Expect more of the same"

I mean, it's a high-res screenshot of New Atlantis, the city you will be very familiar with if you've played the game for any length of time.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
People weren't playing the game because the water didn't shimmer enough

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I like having a better water.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

drat with a patch with a staggering 100 fixes after months, i can see how bethesda could struggle with something so gargantuan

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sandepande posted:

I like having a better water.

It doesn't hurt anything. Unless it tanks framerates or something.

I didn't really have an opinion on the quality of water reflections before though.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Replaying The Outer Worlds. It is small and simple in a lot of ways, but it feels like a real game built by a team of people with some kind of heart and vision behind it. Quest writing is closer to Fallout3 than NV which is a shame, but it's probably still a better overall game than F3, 76, F4 + Starfield.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Jables88 posted:

Replaying The Outer Worlds. It is small and simple in a lot of ways, but it feels like a real game built by a team of people with some kind of heart and vision behind it. Quest writing is closer to Fallout3 than NV which is a shame, but it's probably still a better overall game than F3, 76, F4 + Starfield.

It's a game that knew what resources it was working with and stuck to them. Yeah the NPCs all kinda look stiff and were clearly made in the character creator, and the KOTOR-style world doesn't always work, but dammit it's a game that tries to Say Something, the guns feel meaningfully different, and there aren't seventy different styles of bullet you need to keep track of.

It's also maybe the fourth or fifth most Fallout thing in existence.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Small graphical updates are easy. New gameplay features and overhauls are tough, especially when your studio evidently struggled to put out the game in the first place

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Philippe posted:

It's a game that knew what resources it was working with and stuck to them. Yeah the NPCs all kinda look stiff and were clearly made in the character creator, and the KOTOR-style world doesn't always work, but dammit it's a game that tries to Say Something, the guns feel meaningfully different, and there aren't seventy different styles of bullet you need to keep track of.

It's also maybe the fourth or fifth most Fallout thing in existence.

It has more character in NPCs like the miserable spacer’s choice employee running a store on the Groundbreaker than Starfield has in the companions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It has more character in NPCs like the miserable spacer’s choice employee running a store on the Groundbreaker than Starfield has in the companions.

Martin Callahan is such a good character. He's got carbon monoxide poisoning, he loathes his entire life with a passion, and he hasn't slept in two days, but that's not gonna stop him from extolling the virtues of Spacer's Choice merchandise.

Also I've gotta say, going into the Groundbreaker for the first time and being met by an ad robot for Rizzo's Lemon Slapp ("Whoa, whoa, whoa, it's Rizzo's!") and seeing bright-rear end signs for stores everywhere is so much more impressive than entering Neon to me. Neon felt like someone having the Groundbreaker promenade or Kabuki Market described to them by a drunk who didn't really care.