Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
disguising creatures, prefect idea love it, disguising lands tho? wth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Typed duals that are a clear upgrade over the Temples are pretty cool

I'm actually pretty excited for this limited format, it looks really cool and weird

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Goa Tse-tung posted:

disguising creatures, prefect idea love it, disguising lands tho? wth?

throwback to zoetic cavern

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

New land cycle:

Basic Land Types, ETB tapped surveil 1

They show up in the Wildcard slot in those new packs which means the land will not replace a rare in those packs if you open one.

so they're getting around the problem of multi-rare packs having too much equity by making rares in the land slot shittier. how clever of them

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Lands at rare will forever be a mistake. Few lands have ever made me glad while opening a pack and zero of them have made me want to display them as a collectable.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

drat I can't believe they're printing show and tell into standard.

I know it's standard legal because they put the card in packs for the standard set. I'm glad wotc has not decided to make the contents of standard packs completely confusing. I'd be pretty shocked if they did, considering how consumer friendly they are as a company.

kalel fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 16, 2024

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

They've been doing it since the original zendikar

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

snyprmag posted:

They've been doing it since the original zendikar

While true, it use to be way more obvious. Now the non-legal cards look just like the legal ones.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Cute little top-down design, it gets cheaper for Commander but also flavorfully only has 1 generic to reduce to start because he's married to Ral.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Crime Novelist is gonna be one of those three mana 1/3 uncommons that's like $5 in 4 years because it goes in quite a few commander decks.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
"Cases" are a cute spin on the original idea they had for Sagas (that you had to fulfill certain directives in order to get a reward) - but they're more elegant in giving you something upfront and giving you only one condition to meet.

Will be very interesting to see how they play out.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
sorry if somebody posted this already but they're putting Azorius Mana Leak that exiles into standard and pioneer:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Art direction this set rules. Jeremey Wilson becoming a favorite.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it's cool that mtga is getting a lot of neat cards tbh

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GonSmithe posted:

Cute little top-down design, it gets cheaper for Commander but also flavorfully only has 1 generic to reduce to start because he's married to Ral.

I saw that this is just a prerelease card?
But also not playable in prerelease pools?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

A Moose posted:

wow, wasn't expecting them to drop the ending to murders at karlov manor. Wouldn't it have made sense to draw it out a little? like have a few weekly stories? Seems like they either learned nothing from MoM or they were already too far along when they found out everyone hated the story of MoM.

I sincerely hope the story isn't finished with that last chapter. Not because it was at all good, but it just stops at "well *blah blah blah* care to explain why you're the bad guy?"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

HootTheOwl posted:

Probably included in the prerelease kit as a bonus. They did that with MoM. Good way to not strangle prerelease attendance with the sizable price hike.

Well drat

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 16, 2024

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah I wasn't sure on the source when I posted it but that's what it is, there's 3 cards only available in pre-release packs, not playable at the pre-release.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/feature/collecting-murders-at-karlov-manor

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

A Moose posted:

wow, wasn't expecting them to drop the ending to murders at karlov manor. Wouldn't it have made sense to draw it out a little? like have a few weekly stories? Seems like they either learned nothing from MoM or they were already too far along when they found out everyone hated the story of MoM.

They revealed the ending of Strixhavens story before revealing the story. This is right on track for wotc

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

HootTheOwl posted:

Can a cloaked card be turned up for it's disguised cost?

It can be flipped for either it's mana cost or disguised cost. "For example, if you cloak a creature card with disguise, the face-down creature can be turned up for either its mana cost (using cloak) or its disguise cost." Here is the mechanic deep dive: https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/feature/murders-at-karlov-manor-mechanics

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

feel like this card will probably all but kill boggles in pauper. not only another chainers edict effect but now this one prevents being able to play around edict effects by playing another creature.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

a power creep morph?

I'll allow it

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Crime Novelist is going to be loving insane in commander

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Silhouette posted:

Crime Novelist is going to be loving insane in commander

The card that finally pushes dockside extortionist to be playable.

Collect evidence makes the basic landcycling on topiary panther nice since you search up a land and now have 6 mana value in your yard to exile later.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GonSmithe posted:

Huh. I thought Tomik was dead for some reason.

Can't lie. I do like to Arc Lightning some muthafuckers.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bought a WOE pack on a whim and got a foil Virtue of Loyalty and a showcase Virtue of Pestilence in the same pack. There goes my luck for 2024 I guess :shrug:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Strong Sauce posted:

feel like this card will probably all but kill boggles in pauper. not only another chainers edict effect but now this one prevents being able to play around edict effects by playing another creature.

Sorcery speed is a big downside.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Maybe it's just because it's leveraging the setting I know and like the most but the story for MKM has been presented pretty well and the cards are hitting on that Vorthos level.

This is in contrast to the jumbled mess of MOM and I don't know what LCI was about except stuff happened underground?

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I do like that the thoroughfare of this MTG story arc is just Kellan's quest to find his deadbeat dad and get him to pay child support.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Probably included in the prerelease kit as a bonus. They did that with MoM. Good way to not strangle prerelease attendance with the sizable price hike.

Well drat

5 mana is a lot but there's so much here. Can't imagine that your opponent is going to have any board or life left if you untap with this in a sac deck.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

MTG's design philosophy has iterated so many times that we've somehow circled back to Camouflage at uncommon again.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Errata, Deadly Fugitive

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Judith is just going to be a hilarious commander, what with all of the 1 or 2 mana red spells that deal a single point of damage to each opponent and each creature they control

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Silhouette posted:

Judith is just going to be a hilarious commander, what with all of the 1 or 2 mana red spells that deal a single point of damage to each opponent and each creature they control

But also Blasphemous Act for like 130 life.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Evincar's Justice every turn

Somewhere, mark rosewater is crying and he doesn't know why

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If you can double trigger, does a spell having double lifeline do anything?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Silhouette posted:

And it's a trigger, so it goes off even if they remove her in response to the End the Festivities or whatever.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I finally read the rules article and noticed this bit

quote:

Each time you're asked to collect evidence, exile any number of cards from your graveyard with total mana value of the indicated number or greater. For example, to collect evidence 6, you could exile a single card with mana value 6 from your graveyard, cards with mana values 1 plus 2 plus 2 plus 1. Or even 1 plus 1 plus 2 plus 2 plus 1 plus …
and it made me giggle.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not without a time machine ;)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

I finally read the rules article and noticed this bit

and it made me giggle.

idgi

is it loss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

kalel posted:

idgi

is it loss?

It is a reference to the movie Clue from 1985, pretty funny flick, worth a watch.