Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
That would be an insanely huge move up in the world for the fords and I would assume this is some sort of tribute to curry favour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I can't stop reading that as a tribute to curry flavour, which would be a much better use of the time and money.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I can't stop reading that as a tribute to curry flavour, which would be a much better use of the time and money.

Me too, I do like a good curry. I would offer a tribute to curry flavour.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The known criminal Doug Ford welcomes you to Flavourtown!

I mean, he's already as greasy as Guy Fieri, it's barely even a stretch.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mad Hamish posted:

The known criminal Doug Ford welcomes you to Flavourtown!

I mean, he's already as greasy as Guy Fieri, it's barely even a stretch.

I would not eat anything that Doug Ford has prepared. Or touched.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

loving pissed Galen dropped the 50% reduction on expiring foods. That was literally the only reason I was shopping at Loblaws.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/loblaws-will-no-longer-offer-50-discount-on-expiring-food-products-1.7084299

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Food waste to go up in an effort to ensure Galen holds a 60% profit margin cool cool cool

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

What I love is that Galen Weston seems to go out of his way to be an unlikeable, awful piece of poo poo. Elon Musk tries, in a very misguided way, to be "cool" and "popular" but Weston is just like, "no, gently caress you, I hate you all and I will go out of my way to make your days sour and your nights long."

I mean, apart from the fact that this is really rude to people on a budget, I think it will cost him money. No one will pay full price for something that's about to go bad, because it's not worth full price. So instead of getting 50% of the money, you will get 0% of the money.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
Let’s organize a boycott of food

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Superstore/Loblaws is loving garbage. I don't know why but it feels like Safeway - at least here - has better pricing on most items.

Sobeys and Superstore is overpriced out the rear end. I'll sometimes hit up a No Thrills but their produce is poo poo. Everything else is split between Safeway and Walmart. Sometimes i'll hit up FreshCo as their produce is good and one of ours in Winnipeg has a proper butcher in the back with better prices on all meat.

Co-Op too is priced way too high for poo poo even tho you get some back.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What if we asked super duper nicely not to be gouged on the necessities of life.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Nationalize Loblaws imho

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Fuckin eh.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

A loblaws company will sell a 450g container of Philadelphia creamcheese for $9.00 while Costco sells the two 500g pack for $11

It's expensive to be poor.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Superstore/Loblaws is loving garbage. I don't know why but it feels like Safeway - at least here - has better pricing on most items.

Sobeys and Superstore is overpriced out the rear end. I'll sometimes hit up a No Thrills but their produce is poo poo. Everything else is split between Safeway and Walmart. Sometimes i'll hit up FreshCo as their produce is good and one of ours in Winnipeg has a proper butcher in the back with better prices on all meat.

Co-Op too is priced way too high for poo poo even tho you get some back.
Only store I have near my home is a lovely over priced Valumart (also under Loblaws). My office is near what, with the discounts, I considered a "pretty decent Loblaws". Between the 50% discounts and random sale items I could eat really well and affordably. I'm very flexible with cooking. There's also a Farm Boy, but everything seems roughly $1 more than what Loblaws charges and there's nothing special about it. I'm also near St. Lawrence Market which I used to shop at for cheap stuff 15-20 years ago, but christ everything seems drastically inflated these days.

Anyway, this really increases my cost of living.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Clarified today the 50% discount is being changed to 30% off. Probably still not enough to justify what they charge for a lot of items.

https://vocm.com/2024/01/16/loblaw/

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I reduced my food spending by 30-40% by getting a Costco membership and staying the gently caress away from anything Loblaws or Save-on-foods related. It’s pretty funny making Costco runs on bike though.

Otherwise, I use the cheap ethnic grocers for the specialized produce and the ingredients that jazz up the rest of the stuff.

I really feel for anyone who lives in a town where large chain monopolies have taken hold.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Notley stepping down as ANDP leader.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/rachel-notley-announces-intention-to-step-down-as-alberta-ndp-leader-1.7085037

quote:

Rachel Notley to step down as Alberta NDP leader

Notley led the NDP to victory in the 2015 provincial election

ormer premier Rachel Notley, after almost a decade at the helm of Alberta's NDP, is stepping down from the top job.

Notley, the Official Opposition leader, said the party will organize a leadership race and she will stay on as leader until members choose a replacement.

That means she will remain on the front bench during the upcoming spring sitting of the Alberta legislature.

Notley told the Canadian Press she doesn't know her next steps after her leadership days, including whether she will fulfil her current term as the legislature member for Edmonton-Strathcona, a riding she has won handily in five consecutive elections.

She also did not rule out running again.

"I just don't know. It's a volatile world, politics," Notley said in an interview before making her departure public Tuesday.

The party will now set the rules and timelines for the race. Notley said she will not endorse any candidate.

The announcement ends months of speculation over Notley's future after her NDP lost the May 2023 election to Premier Danielle Smith's United Conservatives. Notley's NDP captured 38 of the 87 legislature seats to become the largest official Opposition in provincial history.

The party will now set the rules and timelines for the race. Notley said she will not endorse any candidate.

The announcement ends months of speculation over Notley's future after her NDP lost the May 2023 election to Premier Danielle Smith's United Conservatives. Notley's NDP captured 38 of the 87 legislature seats to become the largest official Opposition in provincial history.

So if the party is doing well, why step down as leader?

"I'm a bit of a polarizing figure in the province," Notley said. "And I think we have a lot of really great people who are part of our movement and I think it's healthy to allow other voices to have an opportunity."

Notley, as premier, had been criticized from the right as an out of touch, spend-happy eco-extremist and from the left as a pipeline-loving fossil-fuel sellout.

Her NDP governed during a punishing recession that saw her government rack up multibillion-dollar deficits as the profits dried up in oil and gas — the wellspring of Alberta's economy.

The UCP, under former leader Kenney, won the 2019 election in part by painting Notley's NDP as wide-eyed spendthrifts who never met a dollar they didn't want to spend and couldn't be trusted with the public purse.

Asked if she felt like she got a raw deal when she won in 2015 only to be handed the keys to a government with no money, Notley said no.

Because they were in power, she said, they were able reduce poverty, increase wages for those who needed it most, index payments for people with severe disabilities to inflation and spend to keep pace with population growth in schools and hospitals.

"As much as we paid a price for it electorally [losing in 2019], I'm glad we were the ones that were there in the hard times," said Notley.

"It would have been a lot worse if it hadn't been us."

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

She might actually have a shot at a federal seat but boy howdy does she hate the federal NDP. Guess it's time to just admit she's always been a lib and run for the federal Conservative party.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I think she's going into the private sector. She recently applied to be on the board of the quasi-governmental agency I work for in Ontario.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

ARACHTION posted:

I reduced my food spending by 30-40% by getting a Costco membership
We got one finally too, and it's been pretty good. It seems to have been a lot more resistant to inflation than other stores. I feel stuff like toilet paper used to be priced higher for the "convenience" of a giant pack, but it's quite a bit cheaper than other chains these days.

Lots of bargains and good quality produce, but I find most meat is still very expensive there, with the exception of chicken. The breasts can be frozen and come out very well from frozen in the instant pot. Love just having them on hand for impromptu meals. (Granted they take like half an hour to cook fully.)

The Costco lamb I bought was literally the worst I've ever had. Cooked beautifully, perfect texture ... tasted like nothing. Some have theorised they were deliberately trying to make it less gamey for American palates. Still, it was the rare complete miss for me.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Newfie posted:

She might actually have a shot at a federal seat but boy howdy does she hate the federal NDP. Guess it's time to just admit she's always been a lib and run for the federal Conservative party.

What the everlasting gently caress is this?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

teethgrinder posted:

We got one finally too, and it's been pretty good. It seems to have been a lot more resistant to inflation than other stores. I feel stuff like toilet paper used to be priced higher for the "convenience" of a giant pack, but it's quite a bit cheaper than other chains these days.

Lots of bargains and good quality produce, but I find most meat is still very expensive there, with the exception of chicken. The breasts can be frozen and come out very well from frozen in the instant pot. Love just having them on hand for impromptu meals. (Granted they take like half an hour to cook fully.)

The Costco lamb I bought was literally the worst I've ever had. Cooked beautifully, perfect texture ... tasted like nothing. Some have theorised they were deliberately trying to make it less gamey for American palates. Still, it was the rare complete miss for me.

We do 90%+ of our shopping at Costco and we're only a household of two. It's totally worth buying a small chest freezer off Kijiji or w/e and stocking up. Only thing we buy from the "regular" stores is celery and carrots, because we simply don't go through them quickly enough to justify the Costco bags, but everything is either cheaper, or better quality products for the same price as a regular grocery store. We get he rest of our spices and things at the Asian grocers or bulk barn.

For meat , it's worth buying their bigger packs, slicing them up yourself, and vacuum sealing the smaller portions . Like we don't buy a pack of pork chops, we buy the whole drat loin and chop it up.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I remember when I was a kid, my parents would buy a 1/4 side of beef from the butcher and have it cut up they way they wanted and then they’d freeze everything in a chest freezer.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mederlock posted:

For meat , it's worth buying their bigger packs, slicing them up yourself, and vacuum sealing the smaller portions . Like we don't buy a pack of pork chops, we buy the whole drat loin and chop it up.

Ive been doing this for years. It works great for small households and has kept my meat budget (and consumption) relatively low since.

NDP should run on nationalizing Loblaws, Rogers/Bell, and the rail lines.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

No compensation because "those bastards are rich enough".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mederlock posted:

We do 90%+ of our shopping at Costco and we're only a household of two. It's totally worth buying a small chest freezer off Kijiji or w/e and stocking up. Only thing we buy from the "regular" stores is celery and carrots, because we simply don't go through them quickly enough to justify the Costco bags, but everything is either cheaper, or better quality products for the same price as a regular grocery store. We get he rest of our spices and things at the Asian grocers or bulk barn.

I've been meaning to learn how to cut my own meat from Costco, Costco is our go-to for everything but veggies, milk and the occasional Sunday supper depending on what's on sale that week at the Coop.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Mederlock posted:

We buy a lot of costco lettuce. Sometimes it's f/t and goes bad much faster than the grocery store version but that doesn't matter because we could buy two, feed one to ducks and eat the other one 2/3 of the time and it'd STILL be cheaper than buying it at loblaws or metro or whatever

If your grocery store is expensive as gently caress, maybe you live near money? Try going to a different location. In Ottawa the Loblaws on Isabella St (close to posh neighbourhoods and foreign money-havers) is significantly more expensive than our suburban location.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

McGavin posted:

No compensation because "those bastards are rich enough".

A slogan like that would make me knock on doors for the NDP, honestly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

We buy a lot of costco lettuce. Sometimes it's f/t and goes bad much faster than the grocery store version but that doesn't matter because we could buy two, feed one to ducks and eat the other one 2/3 of the time and it'd STILL be cheaper than buying it at loblaws or metro or whatever

If your grocery store is expensive as gently caress, maybe you live near money? Try going to a different location. In Ottawa the Loblaws on Isabella St (close to posh neighbourhoods and foreign money-havers) is significantly more expensive than our suburban location.

Well, you don't even really need to cross-shop to see the issue. I remember going to my local supermarket, and there were no loose potatoes. You could have four potatoes wrapped in foil on a foam tray for about $6, or you could have a 5-pound bag for $5 or whatever. I bought the bag of course, and now they're going green because there's just not that much call for potatoes in my household.

It should never cost less to buy more, if you find a case where that's possible, it should be reportable to the police.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I want to like Costco, but I live in a l*xury c*ndo, so storage is at a premium especially freezer space.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ZShakespeare posted:

I want to like Costco, but I live in a l*xury c*ndo, so storage is at a premium especially freezer space.

We live in a hi-rise condo too, we just have a 5 cubic foot chest freezer that lives in our little storage room, the thing is only 2'x2' and like 3' tall

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

ARACHTION posted:

I reduced my food spending by 30-40% by getting a Costco membership and staying the gently caress away from anything Loblaws or Save-on-foods related. It’s pretty funny making Costco runs on bike though.

Otherwise, I use the cheap ethnic grocers for the specialized produce and the ingredients that jazz up the rest of the stuff.

I really feel for anyone who lives in a town where large chain monopolies have taken hold.

Us too. As Loblaws prices have ascended into lunacy ($1.50 for a can of Noname soup, which cost less than .90 two years ago) we've also shifted the overwhelming majority of our food purchases to Costco.

The exception has been that Loblaws sales can be pretty good. Which means I end up going to both places, and everything in my cart from Loblaws is on sale, or on sale plus points, because that beats Costco. And Loblaws is now apparently slashing their sales or something. I suppose loss leaders don't work when they're all people buy.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
I’ve been trying to prune our Costco runs to the bare minimum. I find that the prices are better in nominal terms, but there are so many behavioural traps that can erase your savings. Even bringing home one thing you didn’t know you needed can do it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

loving pissed Galen dropped the 50% reduction on expiring foods. That was literally the only reason I was shopping at Loblaws.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/loblaws-will-no-longer-offer-50-discount-on-expiring-food-products-1.7084299
Found it a bit funny that the day this news dropped, I had meat I bought from loblaws go off on it's expiry date. (I did not get it on discount.)

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Mederlock posted:

We live in a hi-rise condo too, we just have a 5 cubic foot chest freezer that lives in our little storage room, the thing is only 2'x2' and like 3' tall

My condo's storage room routinely gets broken into so the only thing I store in it are empty boxes lol

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

My storage room doesn’t have power for us to use, but we haven’t had any break ins after I enacted a whole bunch of target hardening measures.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Our storage area is just a tiny little room in our unit right next to our bathroom, can barely fit one shelf and the smol freezer.

It's our parkade that habitually gets broken into, but the thieves have finally learned to believe the duct tape labels about all those bins just being Christmas and Halloween junk :laugh:

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Newfie posted:

She might actually have a shot at a federal seat but boy howdy does she hate the federal NDP.

I never sensed anything more than performative antagonism between them, they certainly shared senior staff freely.

She'd be a total moron to run in the next election though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I will say, I haven't willingly shopped at a Weston store in a long time. That is because I have a car, and in Ottawa at least, there are two smaller independent grocery stores I go to frequently to get my stuff that are wildly cheap (Produce Depot and Greenfresh for those wanting to know).