Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

KillHour posted:

Yeah I have no idea what I was thinking about. I'm sure my wires got crossed with some other forum drama that happened with AC but I have no idea what :psyduck:

I mean fair, when it comes to sim racing drama there is so much overlap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

It's such a weird genre, I started with GT7 in January 2023 (played earlier GT/FM games on console, but only got a wheel and such 10 months ago or so) and now in Jan 2024 on PC I feel completely spoiled with choice - despite there being no new games. Like the 3 games I'm currently trying to get enough time for are between 5 and 11 years old. It's interesting how well some of this stuff holds up - particularly given I'm playing it all in VR, and how deep community support goes into these titles like AC/ACC. Especially since some newer releases don't - suck a dick F123, you were only $30 on sale and not even worth that.

e; spell well

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 15, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Its a cool thing, most of the games in the genre's past are still around in an official capacity. So if you want to go back and try GTR2 or rFactor they're just right there on Steam. rFactor shows up in bundles all the time and the Simbin games are regularly pocket change in every Steam sale. Generally stuff only really becomes obsolete when a direct successor appears, rFactor 2 notwithstanding. So there's not really a point to go back to Game Stock Car or Automobilista when all that content is in AMS2.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Boar It posted:

Yep. And I guess BeamNG to some extent but that isn't really focused on competitive racing despite what the community surrounding that says.

I see people with hours and hours and hours in BeamNG on steam, but I don't get it. It's fun to crash your car or whatever for a few hours to dick around with and see the softbody physics or whatever, but the vast majority of the mod cars are just jamming in a mesh from some other game, the "gameplay" consists of half-assed challenges and it's been in development for over 10 years, I just... don't get it. It's been 10 years and the racing still sucks, and the environments are a handful of "open world" things.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

it's 100% not a racing game.. it's 100% a dickinaround game. it's also cool that it links to that other application where you make cars and then can drive them.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Octopus Magic posted:

I see people with hours and hours and hours in BeamNG on steam, but I don't get it. It's fun to crash your car or whatever for a few hours to dick around with and see the softbody physics or whatever, but the vast majority of the mod cars are just jamming in a mesh from some other game, the "gameplay" consists of half-assed challenges and it's been in development for over 10 years, I just... don't get it. It's been 10 years and the racing still sucks, and the environments are a handful of "open world" things.

It's the racing enthusiast's version of Garry's Mod. Which I also didn't get when I was heavily into FPS games, but that makes me the odd one out on both counts I guess.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm happy BeamNG exists because it means Crashboompunk's videos of gleeful demolition mayhem exist.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
beamNG reminds me of SA-MP or MTA where its a driving game, big overworld and wacky gamemodes. trending more to the sim side then pure arcade GTA. The worst thing about sims is they don't embrace a huge overworld imo. I would kill for a high resolution San Andreas overworld map with realistic physics lol.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Octopus Magic posted:

My 3yo kid loves it so there’s something to be said about that at least

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Beam hits some niches of simulation that don't really exist in other games, and there are some small communities that do high quality mods for those niches - I use beam for desert racing and rock crawling, both of which are racing types that arent really in any other game at a decent level of quality, and the soft body simulation imo makes them a lot better. I don't have crazy hours in it and its usually a controller game for me (no round wheel) but I've certainly sunk some hours into crawling around and desert racing time trials.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Beam hits some niches of simulation that don't really exist in other games, and there are some small communities that do high quality mods for those niches - I use beam for desert racing and rock crawling, both of which are racing types that arent really in any other game at a decent level of quality, and the soft body simulation imo makes them a lot better. I don't have crazy hours in it and its usually a controller game for me (no round wheel) but I've certainly sunk some hours into crawling around and desert racing time trials.

I do have a wheel but beaming plays just fine on a gamepad if you spend a few minutes tweaking the settings.

The defaults will send you lurching all over the road which is it's own fun but it turns into a real game once you get the controls set up well.

Twisc
Jul 24, 2004
tehe qt:>
Is anyone using triple monitors in a fashion that lets you move all 3, locked together in cockpit form, forward and back by a foot or two?

I want to be able to use them for normal things 95% of the time, and then shift the whole setup closer to my chair for racing without fiddling with 3 individual monitors every time, having to line them all up properly (twice) every time I want to race.
Was looking into a stand that I could carefully move, but most seem to have stability issues with 27"+ monitors and that's without also moving the entire setup.
Arm mounts don't seem to allow the center monitor to extend outwards, probably for good reason.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I bought a second computer to stop loving with that.

Not the best answer but it’s very effective!

The “cheaper” answer is you have a separate monitor(s) and you just swap them out that way. Messing with triples constantly sounds horrific

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
My rig and main computer are one and the same. I have triples on the rig, and then 2 monitors on my desk next to it. Most video cards only support 4 monitors so I had to enable the integrated graphics on the motherboard for the second monitor on my desk. When I go to use the rig, I swap the primary monitor over to the triples that I have setup in Nvidia surround, and when I'm playing other games or using the desktop for other stuff, the monitor on my desk that is on the GPU gets set to primary.

Theoretically I could loosen the bolts on my rig's monitor mount and slide them a foot back but the wheel is still mounted central and isn't easily removable, so I don't think it's gonna be what you want, and it'd be pretty obnoxious to reposition every time.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

tater_salad posted:

it's 100% not a racing game.. it's 100% a dickinaround game. it's also cool that it links to that other application where you make cars and then can drive them.

The other app cars are absolutely pitiful in practice, I found. I had to put a filter on not downloading them, they just suck so badly in the game, somehow even worse than those Drift/Tokyo XTREME Highway Racing cars in Assetto Corsa servers.

I did download the Race Drivin/Hard Driving tracks for Beam which are fun to drive on, but no AI kind of makes it feel empty. At least with Assetto Corsa I can get hammered off the line by some AI.

Twisc
Jul 24, 2004
tehe qt:>
What if I bought 3 of these? 22" extension range, which is about how much I'd want.

Mount the center arm to the back of the desk.
Left and right arms - drill grommet mounts about 12" toward me to keep the cockpit offsets.
Somehow link all 3 monitors so they move as 1 or else I'll rarely wanna race.

Keep it in normal position for normal things, pull forward for racing things.

edit: that poo poo never gonna work

Twisc fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 17, 2024

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
You could probably put together some kind of custom triple mount and then use an arm rated for one massive monitor, but at that point it's probably just cheaper to buy more monitors for non-rig use and have a KVM switch in the setup.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
The solution is VR, who needs to move monitors when you just put on a fancy hat.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Fellblade posted:

The solution is VR, who needs to move monitors when you just put on a fancy hat.

This is the real answer

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fellblade posted:

Yep. All this struggle to manage 80 linear feet of heavy rear end monitor when you can just put on a device smaller than your head and get stereoscopic 3D, complete visual coverage and 6dof tracking of your head in the car

Weirdly as well, I’d guess that nice high res/high refresh triples are both more expensive and harder for your GPU to drive than a VR headset

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Counterpoint: driving more than an hour in VR just becomes... sweaty

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Y'all seen this Turtle Beach thing? Doesn't give a torque, but it comes with a load cell brake and a fun little button/switch box!

https://www.gtplanet.net/turtle-beach-xbox-direct-drive-wheel-20240116/

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

Y'all seen this Turtle Beach thing? Doesn't give a torque, but it comes with a load cell brake and a fun little button/switch box!

https://www.gtplanet.net/turtle-beach-xbox-direct-drive-wheel-20240116/

That actually seems wicked cool especially for a one stop shop entry level kit but they are so vague on the info I'm a little suspicious, esp the "we dont know what the material is...but it looks like CARBON FIBRE" :eyeroll:

edit: nvm just saw that price LMAO

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Vando posted:

agreed. but it's so very nice. I've used triples and they're nice for long races but they suck if you're tying to deal with moving them forward and back on any regularity. like you really cant sync the movement.

I'd recommend 2-3 monitor arms (3 singles, or a single and a double) and just move stuff as needed.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Kvlt! posted:

That actually seems wicked cool especially for a one stop shop entry level kit but they are so vague on the info I'm a little suspicious, esp the "we dont know what the material is...but it looks like CARBON FIBRE" :eyeroll:

edit: nvm just saw that price LMAO

Yeah the price is higher than the base level Fanatec equivalent for the big stuff, the main 'look we've added value' stuff are the screen and button box but you can be sure as hell they're going to be garbo quality. Its place in the market is to be a big box you can buy in a store and just have everything, the value is not there at all really.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Vando posted:

Yeah the price is higher than the base level Fanatec equivalent for the big stuff, the main 'look we've added value' stuff are the screen and button box but you can be sure as hell they're going to be garbo quality. Its place in the market is to be a big box you can buy in a store and just have everything, the value is not there at all really.

Yeah i feel like anyone willing to spend that much on sim racing is going to do some basic research and find better (assumably, tbf to TB it hasnt been released yet) stuff for cheaper elsewhere. And it seems too expensive for a "Oh ill buy my kid this for Christmas since he likes those car games"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

it looks neat but I can hear the plastic creaking from here.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Twisc posted:

Is anyone using triple monitors in a fashion that lets you move all 3, locked together in cockpit form, forward and back by a foot or two?

I want to be able to use them for normal things 95% of the time, and then shift the whole setup closer to my chair for racing without fiddling with 3 individual monitors every time, having to line them all up properly (twice) every time I want to race.
Was looking into a stand that I could carefully move, but most seem to have stability issues with 27"+ monitors and that's without also moving the entire setup.
Arm mounts don't seem to allow the center monitor to extend outwards, probably for good reason.

I'd try and figure out an 8020 triple monitor stand, trim it to be desk height instead of floor standing, then put wheels or slider pads under the legs so you can move it. It'd keep all 3 screens held together nicely, then you just gotta figure out how to move to easily. Prob too heave for even the biggest monitor arm.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vando posted:

Thats just sim racing in general. Point a fan at yourself

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Thats just sim racing in general. Point a fan at yourself

It very much isn't, sure you get swamp rear end if you're in a racing seat for 3 hours but the discomfort of having sweat dripping down your face is always going to feel way worse.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Vando posted:

Base level Fanatec comes with 2 pedals and the brake isn't a load cell. The wheel in that bundle is plastic too (though you can replace it). And that's if you can get it all any time soon.

I'm waiting to see what TM has to offer but I'm definitely gonna look at reviews for this Turtle Beach thing when they start coming out.

E: if they're not saying what torque it produces I bet it's because they know it's the wrong answer (3Nm), in which case that's a gently caress no

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 17, 2024

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Specifically, glaborous skin which is what's on your face, hands, soles of feet, ears is usually responsible for a larger portion of thermal transport relative to surface area than most of your body. Strapping a big hot display to your face will heat you up way more than the same amount of heat applied to another part of your body. I love racing in VR but lets not pretend that it doesn't suck from a comfort POV, both with reducing airflow to the face and having a big sweat generator strapped to your face.e

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
I don’t get sweaty but do have a big circular mark on my face if I use VR for more than 10 minutes. It means I can’t race if I have to be somewhere later because it takes like two hours to go away and that feels pretty inconvenient sometimes.

Would still take that inconvenience over the hassle and cost of setting up triples though. Used Rift S are so cheap and still great.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vando posted:

It very much isn't, sure you get swamp rear end if you're in a racing seat for 3 hours but the discomfort of having sweat dripping down your face is always going to feel way worse.

I think if you have sweat literally running down your face, you need to point a fan at yourself.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I think if you have sweat literally running down your face, you need to point a fan at yourself.

I have bad news about how VR headsets work in that regard

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

TheScott2K posted:

Base level Fanatec comes with 2 pedals and the brake isn't a load cell. The wheel in that bundle is plastic too (though you can replace it). And that's if you can get it all any time soon.

Sorry I just automatically include the load cell version in the base level bundle these days, that's what I meant anyway. And it's in stock right now at least (and usually is, it's the new lines that have stock issues).

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
VR headsets seem pretty cool and I have drunk searched Valve Index and Rift S on eBay a number of times but based on the fact that I can't be bothered to wear headphones when I race most of the time because they make my head too warm, there is zero chance I'm dumping my triples for a VR headset.

Also the extremely non-zero chance that a second hand VR headset is being sold by some degenerate who has jerked off in it a lot.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I have an extraction fan for my headset, two fans blowing on me and get visibly sweaty if its a warm day or close racing.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I had a radiator fan on my index and a fan pushing ac directly at me. Still sucks for sustained use, and I like to race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

necrotic posted:

I had a radiator fan on my index and a fan pushing ac directly at me. Still sucks for sustained use, and I like to race

do you have the temperature set to like 130f for full nascar sim