Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

this would be dumb as poo poo if it was just importing glacier ice to rich people in the desert, but the fact it's laundered as 'green,' so probably getting some subsidies and tax benefits, really adds that extra 'oomph'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svKq044qrYU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Centrist Dad posted:

What is the Amazon worker doing here? Kind of looks like he's whipping it out on company time, that's a write-up.

pissing in a bottle because they don't get bathroom breaks on the line

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Centrist Dad posted:

What is the Amazon worker doing here? Kind of looks like he's whipping it out on company time, that's a write-up.

Pissing in a bottle

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
He could be jizzing in the bottle

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Looks more like some kinda baguette

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

Seaquest did it first.

https://seaquest-dsv.fandom.com/wiki/In_the_Company_of_Ice_and_Profit

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Shame Boy posted:

Looks more like some kinda baguette

You never pissed in a baguette before? It’s divine, you simply must try it

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Centrist Dad posted:

that's praxis.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What if I told you the amazon worker was a scab

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

i picket scabs

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Imagine getting paid for pissing in bottles.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Imagine getting paid for pissing in bottles.

:allears:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Paladinus posted:

Imagine getting paid
:geno:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

lmfao this plot synopsis is wild. I tried re-watching SeaQuest a few months ago and the pilot is so loving long. I think it's a solid hour.

also: RIP Jonathan Brandis

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SeaQuest is like the one campy 90's sci fi I haven't seen yet, is it still worth watching at all

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
No

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yes

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Maybe

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Shame Boy posted:

SeaQuest is like the one campy 90's sci fi I haven't seen yet, is it still worth watching at all

it has a talking dolphin

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

No, i dont want no scabs

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

mortons stork posted:

No, i dont want no scabs

A scab is a guy that can't get no love from me

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

The Sean posted:

A scab is a guy that can't get no love from me

Bustin' through the picketer's mob
Of his best friend's job
Stealing a dollar from me

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
not a jpeg but drat I think petco is probably on the verge of collapsing the exact way blockbuster did almost 2 decades ago. A ton of gimmick stuff like 'l"buy a petco blue bucket and then every time you come in, any reptile and fish supplies you can fit in the bucket is at a 10% discount!"

The clerk did a giant upsell on their dumb subscription service/discount card poo poo where they were cagey about the exact details, except the 24.99 price tag and that it was annual, so I assumed it was just like the old blockbuster rewards thing that I remember their staff had to upsell, where paying the fee annually and then just doing your rentals there paid for itself. I also remembered no one ever bought that poo poo, and there were usually shop and employee quotas.

Lmao it's 24.99 a month for a 15% discount on food and grooming. How the gently caress does that EVER work out for the consumer, but they expect your sign up is to pay for that service for a year.
gently caress no, I'm canceling immediately and if they try to charge it again I'm doing a chargeback.

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 20:01 on Jan 17, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's probably worth it if you have multiple large dogs

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah, which is the other part of what reminds me of the blockbuster gimmicks they were flailing with when they were going under. They wanted to sell poo poo like their candy passes and unlimited rentals to people who would come in once and pay 3x more money because of it, but anyone could see how nakedly a bad deal it was -for anyone but current big spenders, in which case it would absolutely cannibalize the revenue from the spender.

Why do it? Because it allowed execs to juice the numbers for these 'new programs' and they could show graphs of projected revenue. "Sure we didn't meet goals last year, but look we've had X users sign up for this new plan, that's a guaranteed income of 1 gorillian dollars!*"
Get their bonuses and be gone/get the credit to keep the lights on for their remaining contract.

*From users who previously spent 2+ gorillian dollars, and now are saving that much.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I remember working at Blockbuster and having to aggressively sell those rewards programs. I got pretty good at it and eventually realized if I could sell one without the enticement of a free rental up front, I could hold onto the little coupon disc thing and use it the next time someone wanted to rent something and pocket the difference.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I remember working at Blockbuster and having to aggressively sell those rewards programs. I got pretty good at it and eventually realized if I could sell one without the enticement of a free rental up front, I could hold onto the little coupon disc thing and use it the next time someone wanted to rent something and pocket the difference.

There were also windows where the coupons weren't unique (the starting membership one at least) or things like having to swap someone to a new ID#, and I remember saving some of those for giving people freebies without it directly counting against your credits issued.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Coolness Averted posted:

There were also windows where the coupons weren't unique (the starting membership one at least) or things like having to swap someone to a new ID#, and I remember saving some of those for giving people freebies without it directly counting against your credits issued.

Yeah. That job kicked rear end.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Back in 2006 when Blockbuster was trying to compete with Gamestop they had a trade in deal with a loophole where you could actually make money by trading in cheap games and getting a new game for 5 bucks and then you could trade in that new game for more than you paid for it. I went around buying and trading at all the local blockbuster places and at one point had a gift card with over 500 dollars on it. I wonder why they went bankrupt :thunk:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No blocks left unbusted.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I miss renting games from blockbuster

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

my childhood blockbuster had a gamestop in the same building, woe is me that 11 year old tokin didn't get in on the infinite money glitch

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

I miss renting games from blockbuster

I miss renting movies. Being able to just pick out random horror movies and watch them was a blast. Streaming services loving suck now

Morbus
May 18, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

context: this bidet in a public bathroom was spotted as needing to be paid-for

do i really need to pay for a whole minute

Jan 18, 2024

gradenko_2000 posted:

context: this bidet in a public bathroom was spotted as needing to be paid-for

Eventually the market Corrects

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Shame Boy posted:

Have you watched all of these yet?
Sliders
Space: Above and Beyond
Earth 2
Lexx
The Outer Limits Remake
First Wave
Stargate: Universe
Babylon 5

If you've literally done all those, then I'd go into SeaQuest.

Edit:
I also forgot these!
Regenesis

mycomancy has issued a correction as of 02:01 on Jan 18, 2024

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Real hurthling! posted:

very racist to put the black worker in a square that says myth
idk

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

mycomancy posted:

Have you watched all of these yet?
Sliders
Space: Above and Beyond
Earth 2
Lexx
The Outer Limits Remake
First Wave
Stargate: Universe
Babylon 5

If you've literally done all those, then I'd go into SeaQuest.

sliders owns, there's an episode where sentient fire follows the gang to an oil refinery world and they have to get it back to fire world before it burns down all the oil, their strategy to find the fire was to get jobs walking around a bunch of oil drums while holding clipboards while they searched for the villainous fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons