Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Martian posted:

Yeah, the separation of placing bus stops and placing lines into two actions to give you more freedom or whatever is one of the stupidest decisions they made. Also very much agree on the park thing, not being able to zone them and -worse imo- being unable to connect them to walking paths (which was in loving vanilla CS1) was the thing that made me stop playing.

It's not perfect, and i would rather connect them to paths, but the pedestrian street can be connected to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The DLC strategy is really the million dollar question isn't it. Are they going to do the C:S1 thing of bundling what should be basic features in to DLC packs? Or are they going to focus on paid assets?

Seeing the cross community-developer communal meltdowns over this game's release and delays, I can't imagine how bad it'll get if the first DLC after the bridges/ports one is trying to sell C:S1 features again.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

piratepilates posted:

The DLC strategy is really the million dollar question isn't it. Are they going to do the C:S1 thing of bundling what should be basic features in to DLC packs? Or are they going to focus on paid assets?

Seeing the cross community-developer communal meltdowns over this game's release and delays, I can't imagine how bad it'll get if the first DLC after the bridges/ports one is trying to sell C:S1 features again.

I figured the first DLC would be for model making nerds like me. You know, come bundled with their version of move it and unlock prop placement and a bunch of props. Its the only thing that made sense since they removed it from the base game and it seems like half their userbase from CS:1 are into hyper detailing.

Watch it be something like Universities or given its an olympic year, maybe something about sports?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

serious gaylord posted:

I figured the first DLC would be for model making nerds like me. You know, come bundled with their version of move it and unlock prop placement and a bunch of props. Its the only thing that made sense since they removed it from the base game and it seems like half their userbase from CS:1 are into hyper detailing.

Watch it be something like Universities or given its an olympic year, maybe something about sports?

cs1 sold around 12 million copies. the intersection marking mod is the most popular detailing mod with 1 million subs while the second most subscribed is ploppable rico with 500k subs on the workshop. it's more like maybe 10% of the userbase if you're being very generous. the functionality for placing props is still in the game, you can plop growables and props and all that crap right now with the dev console. i assume that there's probably already a mod to enable that functionality outside of the dev menu.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

turn off the TV posted:

cs1 sold around 12 million copies. the intersection marking mod is the most popular detailing mod with 1 million subs while the second most subscribed is ploppable rico with 500k subs on the workshop. it's more like maybe 10% of the userbase if you're being very generous. the functionality for placing props is still in the game, you can plop growables and props and all that crap right now with the dev console. i assume that there's probably already a mod to enable that functionality outside of the dev menu.

Mod to let you plop growables is here: https://thunderstore.io/c/cities-skylines-ii/p/Lemmy/PloppableRICO/

Mod that lets you choose better traffic light behaviour is here: https://thunderstore.io/c/cities-skylines-ii/p/slyh/Traffic_Lights_Enhancement_Alpha/

Here's a mod that just came out, all it does is let you set the number of vehicles assigned to a transit route to 1, the base game only lets you go down to 50% of the vehicles: https://thunderstore.io/c/cities-skylines-ii/p/SonnyX/TransportPolicyAdjuster/

Here's a mod that purports to fix the pathfinding system, massively improving CPU performance in this game -- caveat is its still very new and has buggy behaviour, I don't think its ready to fully trust yet: https://thunderstore.io/c/cities-skylines-ii/p/CityPlayer/Cities2Mods_CityPlayerTrafficCustomMod/

Here's a mod that just exposes a lot of info that the UI doesn't expose: https://thunderstore.io/c/cities-skylines-ii/p/Infixo/Info_Loom/

Here's the anarchy mod, which came out pretty fast after the third-party modding site opened: https://thunderstore.io/c/cities-skylines-ii/p/yenyang/Anarchy/

Here's one of the two hotkey mods: https://thunderstore.io/c/cities-skylines-ii/p/MioMods/MioHotkeyMod/

Here's a mod that tries to make the density of the game more realistic, so you don't need to zone vast swathes of offices that barely anyone works in: https://thunderstore.io/c/cities-skylines-ii/p/Cities2Modding/RealisticDensity/

Here's a mod that unlocks all tiles from the start, including the 88 that the game still wouldn't let you unlock even after you've achieved all the progressions in the game: https://thunderstore.io/c/cities-skylines-ii/p/algernon/529TilesLite/

Here's a mod that just adds Unity's dynamic resolution features to the game: https://thunderstore.io/c/cities-skylines-ii/p/Nyoko/DynamicResolutionExtended/

Line tool of course, been around for a while now: https://thunderstore.io/c/cities-skylines-ii/p/algernon/Line_Tool_Lite/

Here's a bugfix for signature industry buildings never having companies move in: https://thunderstore.io/c/cities-skylines-ii/p/Infixo/Signature_Fix/

And this is all done without an official modding API btw, as best as I can tell, people are just disassembling the source code and writing mods off of that.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
Mariina's back with her latest WotW:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/co-word-of-the-week-9.1622032/

And it's not the Mariina we've come to know and, erm, anyway - this Mariina sounds a bit chastened and downbeat after some "great" discussions with her publisher, and honestly she has every reason to be.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Mariina's back with her latest WotW:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/co-word-of-the-week-9.1622032/

And it's not the Mariina we've come to know and, erm, anyway - this Mariina sounds a bit chastened and downbeat after some "great" discussions with her publisher, and honestly she has every reason to be.

I was really curious to see what they'd put in this word of the week, since if they didn't announce a patch, there wouldn't be any updates to give, what would they put in it? Complete wild card, maybe it'd be something crazy this time.

Nothing crazy like a tantrum or breakdown it seems, but the modding timeline update is pretty fascinating nonetheless.

They're expecting a public beta of code modding by end of March, and getting out of beta by Fall.

So when people were asking if this game is worth getting, and everyone says "check back in 6 months it might be finished by then", by 6 months after launch we'll have the public beta of code mods, possibly still no console port, probably most major bugs fixed, but unlikely to have fleshing out of the base game, and it'll likely take until at least a year after launch to have full mods support and console launch and getting this game to a state that it should have launched with.

I can't even be mad! It was what I was expecting from this update, and it's just kinda funny how this launch saga has turned out, can't wait to see what happens next, but I don't think I'm going to be playing until March at the earliest.

edit: oh also when they said they were pushing back the DLC to concentrate on the performance issues, I have my major doubts there. They seem to be having so much trouble with the asset editor and stuff that I'm wondering if they would have even been able to finish the DLC by then.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 22, 2024

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Welp, I guess the new recommendation for this game is "wait an entire year and pick it up on sale" instead of "wait six months for some patches".

Hope whatever corpo suit that got a bonus out of this mess really got their money's worth.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I hope there are some developers/dev team leads with paper trail that they told the game was not ready for release and warned against the release, and whoever decided to forge ahead ignored that. But even if there is, would it even have any effect...

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ms Adequate posted:

Seeing that is like snorting a line of yayo, but also lmfao did Will just arrive to the photoshoot from 1977?

The whole soundtrack is on Spotify if you want to have an actual flashback.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Ah well, see you in half a year...

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Wild that the game was literally a year from being done and they shoved it out the door anyway. I say this as someone who has already played a lot of it. I put it down when the trailer for the community asset pack came out, expecting that to be out in a week or two, but it might be months? Guess I'll uninstall for now as well.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's okay. They already have our money.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Inspector Hound posted:

You can still download the original midis without too much effort.

I opened one up so I could learn to play this:
https://i.imgur.com/8uXe7An.mp4
I am not learning SC3k song. I wish I could D:

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

Wild that the game was literally a year from being done and they shoved it out the door anyway. I say this as someone who has already played a lot of it. I put it down when the trailer for the community asset pack came out, expecting that to be out in a week or two, but it might be months? Guess I'll uninstall for now as well.

Agreed. I am just so … bored with the art style and direction. Every city I make looks the same. The limited assets are really hurting any desire I have to pick it up and start playing.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

sitchensis posted:

Agreed. I am just so … bored with the art style and direction. Every city I make looks the same. The limited assets are really hurting any desire I have to pick it up and start playing.

Now imagine being a full time content creator who has to somehow push weekly videos out with those same limitations, while also not being able to poo poo talk the developers because you need to keep a relationship with them.

edit: oh yeah and I forgot the cherry on top: if you're a content creator for the game, you also have a bunch of redditors mad at you because you made pre-release videos for the game and they think you should have warned them that it was going to be a disaster, so you have that to deal with too.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 22, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah. I don't really watch my youtube guys any more since it's boring. Been wondering if anyone's going to start doing CS2 and CS1 simultaneously.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
I don't know anything about game development but I'm surprised at the degree to which they've managed to mess this up. It's not like the City Builder genre is a crowded field.

To compare another underwhelming launch from last year, Company of Heroes 3, I get the impression in that case that there was likely to be pressure from the publisher to rush it out of the door. Is that likely to be the case here with Paradox?

In any case I've gone back to playing CS1 and was pleasantly surprised at the reminder I never actually played the Hotels DLC or used the last few content creator packs they released. Hopefully in a year or so the sequel is in better shape.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

I get the impression in that case that there was likely to be pressure from the publisher to rush it out of the door. Is that likely to be the case here with Paradox?

Almost certainly. According to what they've said, the game was planned to come out in 2020 so Paradox has probably been unhappy with how long it took. City Planner Plays has talked about how he and some of the other youtubers were invited to play the game around then and give feedback, he can't give details because of NDAs but did say the game at that point sucked (apparently whatever you think of it now, the old version was way worse) and the testers had a whole lot of feedback.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Kind of funny that people joked the game was released a year early and it really just seems like it.

piratepilates posted:

Now imagine being a full time content creator who has to somehow push weekly videos out with those same limitations, while also not being able to poo poo talk the developers because you need to keep a relationship with them.

edit: oh yeah and I forgot the cherry on top: if you're a content creator for the game, you also have a bunch of redditors mad at you because you made pre-release videos for the game and they think you should have warned them that it was going to be a disaster, so you have that to deal with too.

The content creators have got another poo poo sandwich, some of them have agreed not to release skyline 1 videos for a period of time so they cant even go back to the videos that earnt them money.

Skylines 2 has consistently had less players than Skylines 1 for 3 weeks now. At this rate there wont be an audience when modding gets released.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 22, 2024

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Kind of funny that people joked the game was released a year early and it really just seems like it.

The content creators have got another poo poo sandwich, some of them have agreed not to release skyline 1 videos for a period of time so they cant even go back to the videos that earnt them money.

Skylines 2 has consistently had less players than Skylines 1 for 3 weeks now. At this rate there wont be an audience when modding gets released.

That's the part that really burns me up about it. You release a lovely game too early, hey that's one thing, not too uncommon in games. But the way there's a whole community of people trying their best to work with the game and stay positive, and there's no acknowledgement by the developers of that community, it's shameless.

There are maps that were made using the hidden incomplete map editor by random people in the last month or two that are so far beyond what CO has done in 3 years. Modders have to reverse engineer the game to make their mods and figure out how things are supposed to be working. People wanting to make assets have to decide between going back and making C:S1 assets and then redoing them for C:S2. Remember the free content creator pack they announced months ago? The creators of those assets are just in a limbo now, having started work on those and having no idea when they could even be released. The asset editor required to ship those may not even be ready until a full year after release, if not even longer at the rate these deadlines pass by.

Heck, people who just want help with playing the game are getting nothing by the developers. You have to watch third party youtube videos for hints and tips and guides, or you take to reddit or the official forum where other players take guesses at how the game really works.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Inspector Hound posted:

:allears: Don't worry friend goon, I listen quite often to various SC OSTs. If I was a smarter girl I'd love to write a comparison of the different versions of SC2K's soundtrack especially; DOS, Amiga, Mac, PS1, Saturn, etc on a technical level (Both in terms of hardware and music). Alas I shall only listen and enjoy.

On topic, huge oof, there's a game not being ready for primetime and then there's this, not only released in a state of bugs and incompleteness, but with a core selling point being potentially a full year out and no imminent sign of any kind of additional content (barring the two new maps I guess), and screwing over the content creators into the bargain, if what serious gaylord says is true? e; This part was said much better in the post just above mine!

Seems like every update we get it reveals itself to be a bigger shitshow than we thought. I hope it'll end up good one day but that's a high bar to clear, even if what is here now is more playable and fun than a No Man's Sky was at release.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 22, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

even if what is here now is more playable and fun than a No Man's Sky was at release.

I assume this is why they felt like they could release it. It's not a complete mess, it's a city builder you can play and have fun with. It's just shallow enough it gets old quickly.

Was there a big delay in the modding tools for CS1? It was so long ago I don't remember. Of course that was a different scenario since it had been twelve years since the last good city builder, even baseline CS1 was impressive.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grand Fromage posted:

Was there a big delay in the modding tools for CS1? It was so long ago I don't remember. Of course that was a different scenario since it had been twelve years since the last good city builder, even baseline CS1 was impressive.

the delay to access the modding tools in CS1 at release was however long it took you to load them from the main menu

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

piratepilates posted:

That's the part that really burns me up about it. You release a lovely game too early, hey that's one thing, not too uncommon in games. But the way there's a whole community of people trying their best to work with the game and stay positive, and there's no acknowledgement by the developers of that community, it's shameless.

There are maps that were made using the hidden incomplete map editor by random people in the last month or two that are so far beyond what CO has done in 3 years. Modders have to reverse engineer the game to make their mods and figure out how things are supposed to be working. People wanting to make assets have to decide between going back and making C:S1 assets and then redoing them for C:S2. Remember the free content creator pack they announced months ago? The creators of those assets are just in a limbo now, having started work on those and having no idea when they could even be released. The asset editor required to ship those may not even be ready until a full year after release, if not even longer at the rate these deadlines pass by.

Heck, people who just want help with playing the game are getting nothing by the developers. You have to watch third party youtube videos for hints and tips and guides, or you take to reddit or the official forum where other players take guesses at how the game really works.

Its really bizzare isnt it. Genuinely baffling how they managed to fumble the bag so hard on this one. They could literally have gotten away with doing 2 more DLC's for CS1 and then released the game.

I just want a prettier version of cs1. I know I'm in the minority but thats what I want.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

All these recent news convinced me I should look elsewhere to satisfy my city-builder cravings, oh well.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Well, at least it's not been as bad as the release of KSP2.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
:hmbol: Paradox is a joke now

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They're getting absolutely bodied in their forum comments to the word of the week.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Count Roland posted:

Well, at least it's not been as bad as the release of KSP2.

What happened with KSP2 anyway? I haven't seen a word about it

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I've switched to Against the Storm for now. It's a very different game, but it scratches the same itch of plopping things down in an increasingly chaotic sprawl while making all the meters line up. It's a roguelike, with each village having a victory condition that gives it a pretty fixed lifespan of a couple of hours, and its major focus is on directly managing a resource economy and worker placement.

I'm really missing making hosed up highways in a quest for perfect traffic flow, though. I'll have to check back in a few months.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

serious gaylord posted:

They're getting absolutely bodied in their forum comments to the word of the week.

I don't think we'll be seeing Mariina/co_martsu popping up in there any more BTL - looks like the fire fighting has been delegated to co_avanya. At least she's got some credit in the bank from the lovely assets she created for CS1, added benefit she seems not to have a penchant for bringing a Jerry can full of petrol to a bonfire.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

blastron posted:

I've switched to Against the Storm for now.

I'm back on Dwarf Fortress and Banished.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I’m kinda upset they released the game when they did, but I’m actually mad PDX is handling it all so poorly post release. Like, I want this game to succeed, I want a modern city builder with a robust modding community, but this is a clown shoes act.

It’s gotta be pretty demoralizing to be a CO dev and knowing all this is happening around you. What a trash fire.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

It's slowly inching closer to feature parity with KSP1 (while being prettier and way more resource intensive).

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah this is kinda the straw which broke the camel's pack for me when it comes top PDX published games. I'll check back in about a year but this game should have released as Early Access at best.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

It was released broken. Like, massive game-breaking glitches occurring every few minutes broken.

Since then it's been worked on steadily. It actually looks pretty ok now, enough that I'll give it a try in the next few months.

Part of the problem is the devs massively over-promised. So instead of being bigger and better and more refined in every way it's actually worse in most ways, with prettier graphics and a better UI. The flop of a launch alienated players of the original game too so the mod community isn't what it used to be. Given time hopefully it can recover. Ksp1 is my very favourite game.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Count Roland posted:

The flop of a launch alienated players of the original game too so the mod community isn't what it used to be.

This is my fear with CS2. Assets and custom buildings went a long way to making CS1 not look as painfully plastic looking as CS2 looks right now. I hope the modding community sticks around but they have every valid reason not to lol.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OddObserver posted:

It's slowly inching closer to feature parity with KSP1 (while being prettier and way more resource intensive).

Count Roland posted:

It was released broken. Like, massive game-breaking glitches occurring every few minutes broken.

Since then it's been worked on steadily. It actually looks pretty ok now, enough that I'll give it a try in the next few months.

Part of the problem is the devs massively over-promised. So instead of being bigger and better and more refined in every way it's actually worse in most ways, with prettier graphics and a better UI. The flop of a launch alienated players of the original game too so the mod community isn't what it used to be. Given time hopefully it can recover. Ksp1 is my very favourite game.

lmao welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

My strategy is to forever loop this SimCity concept video from 11 years ago, because god knows when we will actually get a decent city builder.

https://youtu.be/pDt5pvJIrYA?feature=shared