Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Lol I can't believe we are going to lose our democracy because eggs cost a few bucks more than they did in 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
As a housing policy nerd, the fact that a lot of people don't think their housing costs have any relation to how they are faring economically is a bit of a bummer.

If you can keep your housing costs and car costs low, then you are going to be in decent financial shape at any income level that is above poverty-level. A 20 cent increase in gas prices is going to cost the average American about $4 extra per month.

Yet, there are many more people who feel that their economic fortunes are linked to gas prices than there are people who think the extra $400 per month they pay in housing costs due to bad housing policy. And people will actively try to prevent higher-density housing at the same time as they are worried that gas prices has risen 20 cents per gallon.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 17, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Charliegrs posted:

Lol I can't believe we are going to lose our democracy because eggs cost a few bucks more than they did in 2019

Sudden rises in the price of food tend to have political ramifications. Like, that's probably the most basic fact of political history. Governments have collapsed because the price of eggs and bread went up. It's nuts that people are acting like the price of food going up shouldn't be a major concern. It's the most major concern! It's like, literally the first concern!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

build a time machine to 1947 and when Israel is created, insist the only allowed location is the middle of west texas

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Charliegrs posted:

Eggs actually cost almost the same as they did in 2019 now. They were down over 50% in 2023 compared to 2022 ($4.82 vs. $2.09).

The biggest things driving up average grocery prices right now are:

- Frozen noncarbonated juices and drinks
- Frozen beef and pasta dishes
- Uncooked beef steaks
- Uncooked beef roasts
- Beef and veal
- Cheeses
- Cereals and grains (including foods with processed corns)
- Soft drinks
- Dairy products

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

If you want to eat a meal at 2019 prices today, then you need to eat a lot of pasta, eggs, lettuce, tomatoes, canned fish, or potatoes.

Those are the only areas that have stayed relatively close to pre-pandemic prices.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Eggs actually cost almost the same as they did in 2019 now. They were down over 50% in 2023 compared to 2022 ($4.82 vs. $2.09).

- Uncooked beef steaks
- Uncooked beef roasts
- Beef and veal
- Cheeses
- Soft drinks
- Dairy products

Sounds like people should just eat less animal products, problem solved! Although hopefully this doesn’t push the government to subsidize them even more than they already do….

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Biden should run on passing another stimulus check and market it as being for groceries. The stimulus he promised back in 2020 probably helped his chances, after all.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

- Uncooked beef steaks
- Uncooked beef roasts
- Beef and veal
- Cheeses
- Soft drinks
- Dairy products

So what I'm hearing is the world is completely mega-hosed when climate change starts to destabilize high intensity factory farming meat production and Americans go full eco-fascism in response?

It sounds so dumb but so perfectly on the nose. Can't get hamburger meat obscenely cheap because we're burning the planet down? Guess we'll have to murder our way out of the problem.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kalit posted:

Sounds like people should just eat less animal products, problem solved! Although hopefully this doesn’t push the government to subsidize them even more than they already do….

The problem is that "cereals and grains (including foods with processed corn)", beef, and foods with added sugar covers about 90% of products in an American grocery store.

Most breads in America are made from grains AND have added sugar. Double whammy.

If you want sugary beef cornbread drizzled with Pepsi, then you better be a millionaire.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Queering Wheel posted:

Biden should run on passing another stimulus check and market it as being for groceries. The stimulus he promised back in 2020 probably helped his chances, after all.
I don’t disagree but that will never happen with a GOP House

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Kalit posted:

You will pry dairy products out of my cold, dead, twice-dead hands, because I will come back as a vengeful spirit hellbent on drinking milk and eating too much cheese.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Axios has a huge study out that shows similar things to most other polls: Most Americans rate their own financial situation as "good" or "very good," but think the overall economy is terrible.

But, Axios goes into way more detail to drill down specifics about feelings of everything from housing, grocery cost, vibes, partisanship, etc.

Lots of interesting data.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1747591594595762550

- Americans think they themselves and their local community economy are doing well, but the national economy is in shambles.

- Political affiliation is a big driving force between the disconnect between personal and national perceptions of the economy/country, but it isn't the only cause.

- Americans are very optimistic that their situation will improve in 2024. 85% say they think their financial situation will change for the better this year.

- Surprising housing stats: Homeowners are generally more happy with their housing situation than renters, but a sizable majority of renters say they are happy with their living situation and costs. 63% say they don't plan or want to own a home.

Renters are more likely to describe their economic situation as "poor" compared to homeowners, but they generally don't link housing costs as the main reason why. They rate their situation as poor due to grocery prices and consumer inflation.

- A majority of Americans feel they are very secure in their job and don't think they will have a problem finding a new equivalent or better one if they lost their job tomorrow: a record high.

On the flip side:

- Americans are extremely upset and concerned about grocery prices.

- The rate of inflation is way down for groceries, but the huge increase in 2022 and early 2023 still have people feeling very upset and they likely won't get over it until people adjust psychologically. Just like it took years for people to get used to not paying three dollars for a movie.

- A political problem: Prices are extremely unlikely to drop down back to their 2019 levels outside of a massive economic recession and deflation. If voters are upset about the objective price increases over the relative price increases, then there is no way to fix that issue in the next few years.

- The Demographics reporting the most anger and anxiety about the economy:

- One problem seems to be that the bad feelings about groceries and inflation are carrying over into other areas.

Even though inflation-adjusted gas prices are at near record lows, only about 23% of voters think that gas prices have fallen in the last year.

Similarly, even Democrats think unemployment is high right now, despite being near record lows:

Sadly, there is a lot of stuff from the prepandemic status quo that I don't think we're going to get back. As you mention, I don't think prices are going to come down to 2019 levels without something very ugly happening that negates the benefits of those prices coming down. Given how most business management is pressured to value short term profit It's going to take forever to really get supply chains and deliveries back to their pre-Covid, ZIRP-fueled peak.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

build a time machine to 1947 and when Israel is created, insist the only allowed location is the middle of west texas

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I think you need to somehow travel back and talk with Arthur Balfour too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

- Uncooked beef steaks
- Uncooked beef roasts
- Beef and veal
- Cheeses
- Soft drinks
- Dairy products

petty Goony complaint, but candy prices are up as gently caress depending on the store. like a dollar more compared to some places.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I know it is just to get more granular data, but it is kind of funny that they have different types of beef broken down into so many categories and then just a general "beef and veal" category. I'm trying to imagine some situation where overall beef prices would rise, but the price for "uncooked beef roasts" would collapse.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Axios has a huge study out that shows similar things to most other polls: Most Americans rate their own financial situation as "good" or "very good," but think the overall economy is terrible.

But, Axios goes into way more detail to drill down specifics about feelings of everything from housing, grocery cost, vibes, partisanship, etc.

Lots of interesting data.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1747591594595762550

- Americans think they themselves and their local community economy are doing well, but the national economy is in shambles.

- Political affiliation is a big driving force between the disconnect between personal and national perceptions of the economy/country, but it isn't the only cause.

- Americans are very optimistic that their situation will improve in 2024. 85% say they think their financial situation will change for the better this year.

- Surprising housing stats: Homeowners are generally more happy with their housing situation than renters, but a sizable majority of renters say they are happy with their living situation and costs. 63% say they don't plan or want to own a home.

Renters are more likely to describe their economic situation as "poor" compared to homeowners, but they generally don't link housing costs as the main reason why. They rate their situation as poor due to grocery prices and consumer inflation.

- A majority of Americans feel they are very secure in their job and don't think they will have a problem finding a new equivalent or better one if they lost their job tomorrow: a record high.

On the flip side:

- Americans are extremely upset and concerned about grocery prices.

- The rate of inflation is way down for groceries, but the huge increase in 2022 and early 2023 still have people feeling very upset and they likely won't get over it until people adjust psychologically. Just like it took years for people to get used to not paying three dollars for a movie.

- A political problem: Prices are extremely unlikely to drop down back to their 2019 levels outside of a massive economic recession and deflation. If voters are upset about the objective price increases over the relative price increases, then there is no way to fix that issue in the next few years.

- The Demographics reporting the most anger and anxiety about the economy:

- One problem seems to be that the bad feelings about groceries and inflation are carrying over into other areas.

Even though inflation-adjusted gas prices are at near record lows, only about 23% of voters think that gas prices have fallen in the last year.

Similarly, even Democrats think unemployment is high right now, despite being near record lows:

yeah sounds about right. hopefully some of those prices can fall in general. but yeah that sounds about right money and job wise. My jobs good and i feel secure in it and they arnt doing lay offs this year.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I know it is just to get more granular data, but it is kind of funny that they have different types of beef broken down into so many categories and then just a general "beef and veal" category. I'm trying to imagine some situation where overall beef prices would rise, but the price for "uncooked beef roasts" would collapse.

I'm sure different parts of the cow are subject to different market forces.

This reminds me of a Katt Williams bit about chicken parts from 2022.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CgSFQ12YJY

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dapper_Swindler posted:

petty Goony complaint, but candy prices are up as gently caress depending on the store. like a dollar more compared to some places.

Yeah, that would be due to the sugar and processed corns price surges. Considering candy in America has a ton of added sugar or processed corn syrup, candy is going to be disproportionately impacted.

Percentage wise, juices (because of the added sugar), candy, and chips/breakfast cereals are 3 of the top 5 biggest price increases for grocery products. Not counting that period of a few months in late 2022 and early 2023 where eggs more than doubled.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gripweed posted:

No, obviously not. But it is a goal which runs counter to the goal of Zionism. Zionism wants a "Jewish state". We see what has happened in the furtherance of that goal. The Nakba, the creation of ghettos, land stolen from people who have lived on it for generations, and now open unapologetic genocide. That idea of Israel must be destroyed before a nation that respects all people living under it's authority can be built.

Everyone here obviously understands that when the American right says they want America to be a Christian nation, that's bad. We know that's bad. But it's no more bad than the goal of a Jewish nation. A state that serves one religion, that elevates it above others and commits ethnic cleansing to clear out people of another religion, is morally abhorrent. That is a state that should be destroyed.

I've brought this up before, but fundamentally there's a core problem here you can't handwave away, which is the right for self determination. The people living in Israel have a right, a fundamental right to determine how they govern their affairs. Now obviously there's a limit, and what's happening in Gaza and the west Bank is in excess and beyond the scope of what that right allows and that aspect of the Zionist political movement that wants to commit genocide and ethnic cleansing is in excess of that right.

But Israelis and Jews had a right to want a independent state, and a right to a state that guarantees their rights and freedoms, in much the same way Québec in Canada has a right to preserving Quebec language and culture as a "distinct society". I don't see the desire for a Jewish state as being fundamentally different from this or the soviet desire for a Workers State, or the Basque independence desire for a Basque state. Unless we're declaring all independence movements as equally immoral there's really no consistent justification to opposing the existence of Israel as an independent state or this aspect of "Zionism". Because Israel is fundamentally no different then over 90% of nations, especially those founded via a culmination of 19th century independence movements as a result of the collapse of the multi ethnic empires due to the strains of WW1.

The talking point "Israel has a right to exist" is more "nations have a right to self determination", both Israelis and Palestinians have this right. And no alternative solution to the conflict can be enforced against the will of either party.

Israel should stop what its doing is also frankly the easiest way of getting Palestinians what they are entitled to, a safe, secure, prosperous independent and autonomous state. Not aiming for Israel to be annexed by a Palestinian state and then handwave away the decades of animosity and pretend things will work out and not break out into more violence.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Based on the data, the one surefire way to beat grocery store inflation is to make the canned fish, lettuce, and tomato sandwich on a bun made of pasta noodles the hot new food trend of 2024.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

huh

well then

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

If my grocery bill stays the same, or keeps up with inflation, but I have to change my eating habits because I can no longer afford breakfast cereal, I'm going to feel that a a negative economic outcome. I don't think we're doing a good job of measuring what people ARENT buying

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1747622982900416873

I "spent" hundreds of dollars on overdraft fees in college, it was such a transparent scam, glad they are being regulated. They definitionally only hit people who are broke.

actual news article if you wanna know more

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Aztec Galactus posted:

If my grocery bill stays the same, or keeps up with inflation, but I have to change my eating habits because I can no longer afford breakfast cereal, I'm going to feel that a a negative economic outcome. I don't think we're doing a good job of measuring what people ARENT buying

"Substitution costs" are a thing they measure and are included in the analysis.

I'm not familiar enough with them to say if there are any issues with the methodology, but it is something that is factored in.

So far, most people are just continuing to buy the same things and being mad about it, especially meat. Beef and poultry consumption rose and pork consumption stayed about the same.

The big thing that seems to be impacted is chips/crackers/cereal snacks. People are eating fewer of them overall.

Interestingly, per capita candy consumption hit a record high last year despite being one of the areas with the biggest price increases.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 17, 2024

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
USCE 2024: According to the Axios Vibes survey....

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
USCE 2024: Economic Vibe-Check

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Aztec Galactus posted:

Inflation measurements are on a per-item (or, at least, per category) basis, and here was the best source I could find quickly that shows the breakdown. They're not just measuring how much are people spending on groceries, but specifically how the price of each category of items is changing. The topline calculations rely on the "relative importance" figure, and the fact that they're measuring that means that they are tracking what people are and are not buying.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I've brought this up before, but fundamentally there's a core problem here you can't handwave away, which is the right for self determination. The people living in Israel have a right, a fundamental right to determine how they govern their affairs. Now obviously there's a limit, and what's happening in Gaza and the west Bank is in excess and beyond the scope of what that right allows and that aspect of the Zionist political movement that wants to commit genocide and ethnic cleansing is in excess of that right.

But Israelis and Jews had a right to want a independent state, and a right to a state that guarantees their rights and freedoms, in much the same way Québec in Canada has a right to preserving Quebec language and culture as a "distinct society". I don't see the desire for a Jewish state as being fundamentally different from this or the soviet desire for a Workers State, or the Basque independence desire for a Basque state. Unless we're declaring all independence movements as equally immoral there's really no consistent justification to opposing the existence of Israel as an independent state or this aspect of "Zionism". Because Israel is fundamentally no different then over 90% of nations, especially those founded via a culmination of 19th century independence movements as a result of the collapse of the multi ethnic empires due to the strains of WW1.

The talking point "Israel has a right to exist" is more "nations have a right to self determination", both Israelis and Palestinians have this right. And no alternative solution to the conflict can be enforced against the will of either party.

Israel should stop what its doing is also frankly the easiest way of getting Palestinians what they are entitled to, a safe, secure, prosperous independent and autonomous state. Not aiming for Israel to be annexed by a Palestinian state and then handwave away the decades of animosity and pretend things will work out and not break out into more violence.

The problem is that they didn't create an independent state where they lived - they migrated en masse to another state where other people lived, bought up much of the good land, and then started demanding an independent state there. It's classic settler-colonialism.

Did the Americans have a right to demand an independent state on the land they stole from the natives, and continued to steal from the natives afterward to expand that independent state of theirs? Did the men of Dixie have a right to demand an independent state of their own free from Yankee rule, or a right to a state that guarantees their rights and freedoms to own slaves? The right to self-determination has hardly been a universal thing.

And the hypocrisy has always been quite strong in Palestine, where the British imposed their rule on Palestinians even as they used language about "right to self-determination" to lay the foundations for Jewish colonialism against the will of the people who already lived there. Hell, that was an objection that people raised against the Mandate of Palestine from the beginning. And Balfour admitted it, to some extent - his response was basically that the Jews were special and Zionism was special, and that everyone saying that the existing Palestinians deserved self-determination were petty pedants who were probably anti-Semites or something:

"Arthur Balfour, 1920 posted:

The second difficulty, on which I shall only say a word, arises from the fact that the critics of this movement shelter themselves behind the phrase—but it is more than a phrase—behind the principle of self-determination, and say that, if you apply that principle logically and honestly, it is to the majority of the existing population of Palestine that the future destinies of Palestine should be committed. My lords, ladies and gentlemen, there is a technical ingenuity in that plea, and on technical grounds I neither can nor desire to provide the answer; but, looking back upon the history of the world, upon the history more particularly of all the most civilized portions of the world, I say that the case of Jewry in all countries is absolutely exceptional, falls outside all the ordinary rules and maxims, cannot be contained in a formula or explained in a sentence. The deep, underlying principle of self-determination really points to a Zionist policy, however little in its strict technical interpretation it may seem to favor it. I am convinced that none but pedants or people who are prejudiced by religious or racial bigotry, none but those who are blinded by one of these causes would deny for one instant that the case of the Jews is absolutely exceptional, and must be treated by exceptional methods.

I love that quote because it's so absolutely shameless in its hypocrisy. Balfour was a real piece of work when it came to Palestine.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Spending on alcohol was stable in 2023 as well.

It looks like Americans are down on Fritos, but will pay any price for burgers, booze, and candy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1747633136932900871

Well now they're gonna have to have another meeting! I assume who's leaking is "almost every single member if they think it'll get them some advantage"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem is that they didn't create an independent state where they lived - they migrated en masse to another state where other people lived, bought up much of the good land, and then started demanding an independent state there. It's classic settler-colonialism.

Did the Americans have a right to demand an independent state on the land they stole from the natives, and continued to steal from the natives afterward to expand that independent state of theirs? Did the men of Dixie have a right to demand an independent state of their own free from Yankee rule, or a right to a state that guarantees their rights and freedoms to own slaves? The right to self-determination has hardly been a universal thing.

And the hypocrisy has always been quite strong in Palestine, where the British imposed their rule on Palestinians even as they used language about "right to self-determination" to lay the foundations for Jewish colonialism against the will of the people who already lived there. Hell, that was an objection that people raised against the Mandate of Palestine from the beginning. And Balfour admitted it, to some extent - his response was basically that the Jews were special and Zionism was special, and that everyone saying that the existing Palestinians deserved self-determination were petty pedants who were probably anti-Semites or something:

I love that quote because it's so absolutely shameless in its hypocrisy. Balfour was a real piece of work when it came to Palestine.

I don't see this as relevant. People's migrate around the world historically and have frequently ended up with new independent states in the places they end up. If one of the North American Chinatowns declares independence in the wake of the US collapsing, did they engage in settler-colonialism? Freedom of movement and economic freedoms I think are also widely considered to be pretty essential freedoms, people criticize for example the hukou system in China because it restricts people's ability to move, but it's generally acceptable for nations to have borders; in this case political leaders successfully lobbied the governing authority to let them engage in commerce and to migrate to the region, and I don't see there any productive reason to litigate the waves of Jewish migration pre-1947 or the UN partition plan, the only legitimate response to any unfairness should've been political and diplomatic. Not going to war to crush the nascent Jewish state, but to engage in a good faith political and international processes to resolve grievances.

Is it not the ideal that there's no borders anywhere and people can live or work anywhere? Does this not inherently result in gentrification on a long enough timescale? If a million people migrate to Japan from Canada that's going to naturally displace people, they're not moving into new housing, but to places they can afford which results naturally in a socio economic attraction as new immigrants move to be near other people similar to them. This is how all ethnic enclaves form.

As it stands Israel exists and has existed for decades, just as how a Taiwan independent of China, or a Ukraine independent of Russia have likewise existed for decades. And have their own political and cultural and national identities. Regardless of claims by individuals or governments or organizations that try to dispute this. Today Israelis absolutely have a right to self determination, no ifs or butts and any practical solution to the oppression Palestinians are suffering under needs to recognize this reality and not handwave or dismiss it.

Yes the Israeli government and many of its politicians are hypocrites, and Israels government isn't engaging with Palestinians in good faith, but this isn't intrinsic to its existence, an alternative set of historical circumstances couldve existed where both peoples got to have what was promised by the partition plan.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Spending on alcohol was stable in 2023 as well.

It looks like Americans are down on Fritos, but will pay any price for burgers, booze, and candy.

Don't doxx me

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

This post in its entirety is such a confusion of ideas that it warrants the Pauli response.

You seem to have landed in a naive interpretation of nationalism as it happened in the 19th century, and weirdly applied it to the destruction of dynasties like the Hapsburgs and the Romanovs.

Israel is a manufactured state. Presumably you are aware of Adolf Eichmann's visit there, before he was invited? It suited the interests of Nazi Germany to fuel Zionism at the time. It is insulting to insinuate that this has anything whatsoever to do with European independence movements, but leave it to the Yanks to misunderstand foreign affairs. Oh, pardon me, to the Canucks.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rappaport posted:

This post in its entirety is such a confusion of ideas that it warrants the Pauli response.

You seem to have landed in a naive interpretation of nationalism as it happened in the 19th century, and weirdly applied it to the destruction of dynasties like the Hapsburgs and the Romanovs.

Israel is a manufactured state. Presumably you are aware of Adolf Eichmann's visit there, before he was invited? It suited the interests of Nazi Germany to fuel Zionism at the time. It is insulting to insinuate that this has anything whatsoever to do with European independence movements, but leave it to the Yanks to misunderstand foreign affairs. Oh, pardon me, to the Canucks.

Lots of people claim lots of states are artificial, by this reasoning the US is pretty artificial too but it isn't going anywhere and if justice for the Native tribes looks like getting back all the land and kicking out hundreds of millions of people then justice is frankly never happening except on a geological timescale or without a nuclear war that turns that land into fall out new Vegas.

People fundamentally make a nation, and no nation is fundamentally artificial as long as the people living there want to be a nation. Arguing nation X or Y is artificial is the same sort of argument a lot of apologists use for why it was justified for China to invade Tibet, and is the language Putin uses to justify his invasion of Ukraine, quite literally, the whole language I've seen of how "Israel is just an outpost of the US empire" is also used by putinists about Ukraine of how its just a US puppet or an extension of NATO and artificially divided Russia and the Russian peoples.

The idea that Israels mere existence is some historical wrong that must be corrected via violence I don't see as being justified or going to lead to a productive or genuinely desired end result in the present day. And just doesn't follow a consistent set of progressive beliefs.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Raenir Salazar posted:

A two state solution is not a serious proposal. The West Bank has been too eaten away be settlers to be a functional political and economic entity. Step 1 in a two state solution would be relocation of tens of thousands of Israeli settlers. And I thought the goal was to avoid ethnic cleansing.

The comparison to Quebec is absurd. Quebec has managed to preserve their weird dialect and gross cuisine without steadily seizing liebensraum from Newfoundland. Quebec has not been blockading Ontario for the past 20 years. French-speakers and English-speakers can get married in Quebec. If anything, Quebec is a counter example. It shows that pluralist societies are possible.

I think the fundamental difference here is that I believe it’s possible, and good, even, for people of different races, religions, languages, etc to live as equals in a pluralist society. You prefer a WW1 era idea of self determination where every ethnicity gets their own little nation. Which I believe has led to an awful lot of war and ethnic cleansing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gripweed posted:

A two state solution is not a serious proposal. The West Bank has been too eaten away be settlers to be a functional political and economic entity. Step 1 in a two state solution would be relocation of tens of thousands of Israeli settlers. And I thought the goal was to avoid ethnic cleansing.

The comparison to Quebec is absurd. Quebec has managed to preserve their weird dialect and gross cuisine without steadily seizing liebensraum from Newfoundland. Quebec has not been blockading Ontario for the past 20 years. French-speakers and English-speakers can get married in Quebec. If anything, Quebec is a counter example. It shows that pluralist societies are possible.

I think the fundamental difference here is that I believe it’s possible, and good, even, for people of different races, religions, languages, etc to live as equals in a pluralist society. You prefer a WW1 era idea of self determination where every ethnicity gets their own little nation. Which I believe has led to an awful lot of war and ethnic cleansing.

You've completely misread my post.

The only thing we truly disagree on is whether a two state solution is feasible, it is always feasible, it will just not look the same as it did previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

USCE 2024: Israel/Palestine Thread #3