Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

I wonder how much this is gonna cost for in market.

Only detail is "needing a prime sub" so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

If this lets me watch Rangers and Mavs games in Tulsa, OK (currently impossible) then I support it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

Only detail is "needing a prime sub" so far

Yeah so you're paying 15 bucks a month for Prime on top of your cable if you didn't already have it plus maybe even more.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’m thinking they’ll be streamed on Prime and you won’t need cable on top of it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dinosaurs! posted:

I’m thinking they’ll be streamed on Prime and you won’t need cable on top of it.

Google made a metric gently caress-ton of money by charging $450 for NFL Sunday Ticket (more if you want RedZone) on top of the $80 a month or whatever they charge for YouTube TV; you're delusional if you think Amazon didn't see that revenue stream and think, "Yep, we'd love to get in on that action."

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Goddamnit. Well at least I’m trapped in the separate hell of MASN, so Amazon getting Bally doesn’t affect me and my own situation isn’t improving any time soon.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Amazon is already trying to split off and monetize Prime Video by introducing ads and then charging for an ad free tier. This will almost certainly be something they charge for. I'm fine with that honestly. I was just hoping whatever solution we end up with means none of my money is going to Sinclair, but that might be too much to ask for in the near future.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Timby posted:

Google made a metric gently caress-ton of money by charging $450 for NFL Sunday Ticket (more if you want RedZone) on top of the $80 a month or whatever they charge for YouTube TV; you're delusional if you think Amazon didn't see that revenue stream and think, "Yep, we'd love to get in on that action."

Google lost/is losing money on Sunday Ticket.

You can say that in the future it is possible they are not, but at this time that is not the case

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t understand why the leagues don’t just produce their own telecasts and sell streaming directly

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

euphronius posted:

I don’t understand why the leagues don’t just produce their own telecasts and sell streaming directly

The owners and commissioner are scared to sell their telecasts directly because they pretty openly don't believe the product is any good.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

euphronius posted:

Because it has been more profitable for them to get a ton of money from TV networks that then extort as much as they can from cable providers who then gouge you if you want to watch.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

General Dog posted:

The owners and commissioner are scared to sell their telecasts directly because they pretty openly don't believe the product is any good.

Manfred wants the league to own all the streaming rights, the owners are all just idiot babies who can't get their poo poo together.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nodoze posted:

Google lost/is losing money on Sunday Ticket.

You can say that in the future it is possible they are not, but at this time that is not the case

They couldn't break even at a $450 price point? Maybe Zaslav is right...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Idk. The historic impediment was the actual means of broadcast (or cable distribution) but that isn’t an issue anymore

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Manfred wants the league to own all the streaming rights, the owners are all just idiot babies who can't get their poo poo together.

It doesn't help that some teams own their own networks, or the Dodgers having their huge deal

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e. ^ Yeah this too, some teams are happy retaining their rights because they just hand them off to their own broadcast they have a stake in. Cubs are doing that with Marquee where they offer an overpriced in-market streaming option for people without cable.

Inspector_666 posted:

Also a bunch of the owners are out of touch dinosaurs who don't want to hand over streaming rights to MLB because they think they can still land that big massive TV deal that's definitely just around the corner, and not a train that they've clean missed by like half a decade at this point at least.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

euphronius posted:

Cost certainty

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
The Orioles scheduled their pride night for when the Rangers are in town

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nodoze posted:

It doesn't help that some teams own their own networks, or the Dodgers having their huge deal
I’m not sure what they do about several teams having their own networks. That complicates any bigger plans for a total streaming service and probably means that MLB will continue to have fractured rights agreements

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m not sure what they do about several teams having their own networks. That complicates any bigger plans for a total streaming service and probably means that MLB will continue to have fractured rights agreements

Is this not just picking up the rights packages that already existed?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

The landscape is a fractured mess of rights deals that last decades. Lots of teams sold their broadcast rights for 20+ years before the league came to this position. Even if all 30 owners were on the same page on this today, it would take them years to unwind the current mess and unify broadcast rights under the MLB banner. They lacked the foresight to see this coming years ago and prepare the groundwork then.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

The landscape is a fractured mess of rights deals that last decades. Lots of teams sold their broadcast rights for 20+ years before the league came to this position. Even if all 30 owners were on the same page on this today, it would take them years to unwind the current mess and unify broadcast rights under the MLB banner. They lacked the foresight to see this coming years ago and prepare the groundwork then.

Oh for sure, it's just that this is the one thing I actually will give Manfred credit for actually being right about.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JGoldberg12/status/1747636695380431062

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Bregor posted:

If they can somehow end blackout restrictions then I, for one, welcome our new Bezos overlords.

Seriously, I get so pissed when I can’t watch Nats and O’s games in loving NORTH CAROLINA

I’m sure the actual effects of this deal will somehow be even worse than the RSN/MLB.tv hellscape

I live like 8 miles from Nats park. The only Nats games I've seen in the last 3 years were in a public place (store, restaurant) or in the literal park.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

duomo posted:

The Orioles scheduled their pride night for when the Rangers are in town

It would be really funny if all teams were to coordinate this so that every city the Rangers played in this year had their pride night when the Rangers were there. Maybe my dumb team will stop being dumb, but I won't hold my breath.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Bandire posted:

It would be really funny if all teams were to coordinate this so that every city the Rangers played in this year had their pride night when the Rangers were there. Maybe my dumb team will stop being dumb, but I won't hold my breath.

I doubt the Rangers players care more or less than anyone else’s roster.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/hgomez27/status/1747676646671335814

Neris is certainly nails but idk about ever signing a non-generational closer reliever to a 3 year deal.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tweet was deleted

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It isn't it just won't embed!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
17 million a year for a setup man?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A 34-yo set up man.

He could be a closer, and he was the go-to fireman whenever someone got in trouble. He's an outstanding arm, but reliever arms are the most fungible thing in the big leagues.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not good ones

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That ask really highlights how low the Imanaga signing is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

euphronius posted:

Not good ones

Even good ones. You can pretty much find good RPs off the scrap heap all the time. I don't see the point in paying one that much.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok the phillies cannot do that at least.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The important distinction for relievers is between "good" and "consistent"

"good" relievers are fungible, scrap heap guys turn in a good season all the time, but they aren't consistently good and figuring out which ones will be good in any given season is a serious challenge that even the best roster wizards screw up from time to time.

What's rare and not fungible is a relief pitcher who's consistently good from year to year.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s a good way to say it yeah

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zoux posted:

It isn't it just won't embed!

I have an incredibly hard time seeing the Yankees as having any interest at that price whatsoever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I have an incredibly hard time seeing the Yankees as having any interest at that price whatsoever.

Well the Yankees is showing a lot of interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
still can’t believe the Braves got Iglesias for Tucker Davidson and one month of Jesse Chavez