Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
once you unlock the workbench, you should be able to go into the modding screen and be able to see what parts of the gun can be swapped around, and if you have any of those parts in your inventory too

then you can start building guns you'll never use because you spent too much time and money modding the gun that your gear fear tells you that you need to save the gun for... later. and then it sits in your stash forever

not speaking from experience of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ROFLburger posted:

what do i do if i lose the weapons that came with my account? i thought i could just buy new ones with the money i have in my stash but it looks like you have to trade poo poo to the vendors in addition to money?
Time to do some scav runs. Don't shoot other scavs if you can help it - you'll hear player scavs chattering with the F1 button, and often they'll do the head wiggle with Q&E.

If you find a corpse with bigger rig and backpack than yours, use the Discard hotkey to throw your equipped stuff on the ground and then alt+click to equip their poo poo and run outta there before you get sniped from across the map. Do this a couple times and your stash will be overflowing.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
If you're lazy like me, you can scav in factory and just run straight to the exit. The map's tiny so you can leave in like 1 to 2 minutes and just sell whatever you spawned with.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Scav into factory, loot and scoot is the correct advice when you’re hollowed out

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

i read that factory is a meatgrinder so i thought i should maybe avoid it for now, i'll try that one. looks easier to learn than woods. i've played my first and only 10-20 games in woods mostly on a scav and while i'm getting familiar with *parts* of the map, i keep getting lost and getting owned or missing the signs and finding my way into a minefield.

this game looks like it owns once you get your head around it but god drat. with no map (besides the one on my other monitor), no compass, and everything else i don't understand the learning curve is steep!

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

ROFLburger posted:

i read that factory is a meatgrinder so i thought i should maybe avoid it for now, i'll try that one. looks easier to learn than woods. i've played my first and only 10-20 games in woods mostly on a scav and while i'm getting familiar with *parts* of the map, i keep getting lost and getting owned or missing the signs and finding my way into a minefield.

this game looks like it owns once you get your head around it but god drat. with no map (besides the one on my other monitor), no compass, and everything else i don't understand the learning curve is steep!

Eventually you get a compass from a quest reward that goes in your special slots so it doesn’t drop on death. That was a great help for me to really start getting used to navigating the maps.

Factory is absolutely a meat grinder, but mostly as PMC, but it’s fun sometimes you’re the one doing the grinding and you’ll kill 4 PMCs and 5 scavs with a shotgun. As a scav, it’s usually fairly quiet(still gotta watch for PMC who stick around to kill pscavs, or traitor scavs) and once you run it a few times, you can hit a bunch of good loot spots very quickly to build up your money.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

ROFLburger posted:

Factory is def a meatgrinder but it is a very fun meatgrinder. Some explicitly exclude it but it can be a really good place to slam through PMC kill tasks. Especially early/mid wipe, you will find tons of people doing pistol and bolt action kills there so it’s just like a mosin/gorno/pistol deathmatch. It’s so small and fast with very little objectives besides “shoot other PMC” that it’s very chill in a way that is unique in tarkov.

If you’re 15 and have flea market it’s worth it to invest in a factory exit key. It makes extracting on factory way easier since the extracts it opens are relatively safe compared to gate3 and way more flexible. It also opens up a really nice mid-map extract on customs as well as a shortcut from new gas into the warehouse 4 courtyard (maybe you can do a car jump to do this without they key, idk if it still works though or requires a certain STR level).

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
I still get lost on woods all the time and have to wander around until I find a landmark I can recognize. "This isn't the side of USEC camp that has mines is it?..." *BLAM*

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Or the feared "Oh god is that the radio tow-"*Head, Eyes by Birdeye*

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I don't exactly get lost on woods but I'm never approaching something from quite the angle I think I am in my head which seems to get me killed just as often.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
lol I’m at the point where if I’m solo and think I’m anywhere near USEC I head the other direction or take a wide path around the east side of it. I should really learn how to approach it so I can loot it but lmao I’ve had one too many games where the first mine breaks both my legs, I heal them up, try to back out and get killed by the next one.

If I’m coming from the east side I should basically be fine right? When I’m with my group we always climb over the big rock to get from the first side to the other, so I’m not quite sure where’s safe.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Tetramin posted:

lol I’m at the point where if I’m solo and think I’m anywhere near USEC I head the other direction or take a wide path around the east side of it. I should really learn how to approach it so I can loot it but lmao I’ve had one too many games where the first mine breaks both my legs, I heal them up, try to back out and get killed by the next one.

If I’m coming from the east side I should basically be fine right? When I’m with my group we always climb over the big rock to get from the first side to the other, so I’m not quite sure where’s safe.

Yeah, only the west side has mines. If you're coming up from the south, either run up the right hand side to the M4 rock and you're safe, or wrap all the way around it to the right to the lake. If you're coming from the lake, everywhere is safe. If you're coming from the north, keep left. If you're coming from the west, don't.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

thanks for all of the help. in between scav runs i've been doing naked PMC runs so that I don't just gradually lose everything that's in my stash. my thought was that i could learn maps and level up my stats at the same time while potentially extracting with random poo poo, is that a bad/dumb idea?

Orv
May 4, 2011
You don’t want to be entirely naked, you want a pistol and any rig at minimum or nearby scavs will sprint directly at you at light speed to kill your rear end. It’s otherwise a good idea though.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

https://escapefromtarkov.fandom.com/wiki/Tagged_and_Cursed

gotta equip at least a gun and vest/pack

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I had no idea this was a thing.

Friggin' Tarkov, man.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
imo it's all but impossible to lose everything in tarkov, don't even worry about that. take actual kits in because 1) ya gotta risk something to gain something and 2) without gear you have to be terrified of scavs, whereas with gear you can just blast scavs all day with virtually no problems (unlesss sks scav or buckshot scav gets lucky)

if you do ever get close to actually having nothing, just scav streets or woods or reserve. fill your bag and get out and you can afford several trader level 1/2 kits

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 19, 2024

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
"Head eyes" to a scav is old news.

Its now "armpit thorax" you have to fear.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Kazinsal posted:

I had no idea this was a thing.

Friggin' Tarkov, man.

Hatchet runs were too much of a problem :rolleyes:

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Mesadoram posted:

Hatchet runs were too much of a problem :rolleyes:

Naked guys who come to quick run high tier loot spots and die with the good stuff in their alpha container while not dropping any loot at all are terrible and I’m glad they’re gone

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah if you want a zero risk way to play, just scav. pmcs have to risk something and in turn have much, much better potential rewards. letting pmcs have zero risk but still get full (or even better) access to rewards is just stupid. Or was.

scavving is kind of dumb and imo pretty boring, but it's a trivial way to pull out insane amounts of rubles to fund whatever you want to do

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 19, 2024

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah if you want a zero risk way to play, just scav. pmcs have to risk something and in turn have much, much better potential rewards. letting pmcs have zero risk but still get full (or even better) access to rewards is just stupid. Or was.

scavving is kind of dumb and imo pretty boring, but it's a trivial way to pull out insane amounts of rubles to fund whatever you want to do

But it's also a good way for people with less than 10,000 hours in the game to learn the maps etc. it's kind of needed and a pretty valuable tool IMO.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
that's exactly what I said? it's valuable and useful, just don't confuse it with the actual game unless the only thing you care about is seeing ruble number go up

also it doesn't take all that long to learn enough of a map that you can semi-confidently load into it. definitely scav into maps your first few times on them or whatever, like until you learn the landmarks enough that you're relatively oriented in them, but past that point you aren't really learning anything about how the map actually plays

hell, loading into maps on pmc when you know fuckall is one of the single funnest things in tarkov and something that you literally only get to experience a few times

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

that's exactly what I said? it's valuable and useful, just don't confuse it with the actual game unless the only thing you care about is seeing ruble number go up

also it doesn't take all that long to learn enough of a map that you can semi-confidently load into it. definitely scav into maps your first few times on them or whatever, like until you learn the landmarks enough that you're relatively oriented in them, but past that point you aren't really learning anything about how the map actually plays

hell, loading into maps on pmc when you know fuckall is one of the single funnest things in tarkov and something that you literally only get to experience a few times

Sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I've clearly spent too long on the Tarkov subreddit listening to chads drone on about skill issues and just trying to gloss over the problems the game has. :v:

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I like to learn maps or practice ones I’m not familiar with by just taking some cheap dogshit gear out with the intent of leaving as soon as my backpack is full. The SKS has always been my favorite and with the recoil rework it’s low key hilarious

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

once you have level 2 traders and the flea unlocked my favorite cheap loadout for earning back roubles by far is a gornostay with one extra mag, the 25mm optic and suppressor plus a big bag. no need for a vest really unless you bring a big med

buy ap-m off the flea and you only risk 9 rounds when dying, leave a full stack in your secure container for repacking in safety. you can't push fights but you can very safely kill scavs from distance, and pmcs will nearly always die in a single headshot regardless of headwear. just be careful of really long range shots. the gornostay has a deceptively large moa for being a bolt action

total cost on death is like 60k

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
well, we're at the point in a wipe where I spend too much time grinding out a lovely weekly (50 scav headshots on streets) and people are kind of geared up so i'm probably quitting soon.

i twas nice, I hit lv 20 faster than any wipe before hand and likely wealthier

Hooplah posted:

once you have level 2 traders and the flea unlocked my favorite cheap loadout for earning back roubles by far is a gornostay with one extra mag, the 25mm optic and suppressor plus a big bag. no need for a vest really unless you bring a big med

E: So true, so true so true. Listen to this poster.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Switch to SPT when it's updated. It's what I do now.

Play the wipe for a couple of weeks, hit level 15 or so, get annoyed with people and take a break, before going to SPT for a few months

Last night a geared PMC started blasting me with his AK from construction with some kind of tracer round. He caught me by surprised but I unloaded on him with much more better accuracy using my glock.

The bear retreated, ducking behind a power lifter. I reloaded and strode forward, coughing up blood. He starts voice comming! He is just looking for sausage and needs directions to the next store! He's begging for his life! I got to put him out of his misery with my stupid PSO loaded glock after he opens up on me again.

IDK, using lovely load outs gives me power trips like this sometimes. Scavs don't beg for their lives lmfao.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 19, 2024

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Toalpaz posted:

well, we're at the point in a wipe where I spend too much time grinding out a lovely weekly (50 scav headshots on streets) and people are kind of geared up so i'm probably quitting soon.

i twas nice, I hit lv 20 faster than any wipe before hand and likely wealthier

Switch to SPT when it's updated. It's what I do now.

Play the wipe for a couple of weeks, hit level 15 or so, get annoyed with people and take a break, before going to SPT for a few months

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I'm trying to do some undercover scav runs. Any suggestions on drip?

I think Idea rigs but may be OTT.

Incoming Chinchilla fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 19, 2024

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Good setup but use the pompon hat. No PMC would ever wear it into a raid.
https://escapefromtarkov.fandom.com/wiki/Pompon_hat

Youtuber General Sam had a video where he used it to good effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPAUwhN_zHQ

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

nice pmc backpack

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
lovely backpack, like the duffel bag or at most scav backpack and one of the hockey masks if you actually want to pass somewhat consistently as a scav. especially with a lovely shotgun or if you're kinda ballsy rock an svt

also put on a rig because scavs spawn with a rig like 99% of the time

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Good feedback.

Gone with duffle and IDEA/security rig.

I agree that the pompon hat is the scav classic, but it doesn't obscure the headset as well as the ski mask.

This goes pretty hard though:

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Maybe depends on map - don’t run a ushanka on customs right now if you’re trying to roleplay as a player scav because like 50% of the pop is doing setup and is dressing up like a scav also

tjones
May 13, 2005
the hockey mask is a good go to as nobody takes anyone wearing that seriously in my experience

i like to rock them a lot and ive had plenty of p scavs sprint right up to me and begin to voip before realising i was a pmc

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

pmc on his first day of school

generally that looks a lot more scav like. imo the hockey mask is the single biggest thing you can do to look like a scav and that massive fuckin holster on your leg is the biggest thing making you scream pmc, but it kinda doesn't matter, player scavs aren't very bright and it only has to work for like 1/4 a second

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 20, 2024

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I wouldn't worry about the headset too much, nothings to say you didn't scav it in raid. You don't look overly like a PMC so I don't think anyone's going to question it right off the bat.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I can never tell PMCs from scavs at a glance lol. I’ve had plenty of times where I thought one was the other. Sometimes the scavs behavior will even make me think it might’ve been a PMC.

Is there anything telltale or just gotta play more

tjones
May 13, 2005
season start you can look at their pants/boots/gloves to get an idea.

after early mid season people start buying ragman gear and it gets a lot harder to tell the difference.

edit: the main telltale is to f1 and if they don't f1 back then they're likely not on the same side as you. if you are a pmc you probably shouldn't be the one hitting f1 and just shoot first and sort out who is who after.

vvv: afaik no scav has kneepads as well, but past wipe start you're gonna run into a lot of pmcs without kneepads also.

tjones fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
You can usually tell by the shoes but you have to be pretty close to see. Scavs have ratty boots and shoes and flip flops but PMCs have nice clean boots.

Also a pistol holster on the pants is usually a PMC but i think there are one or two scav models that also have one.