Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cactrot posted:

It is a reference to the movie Clue from 1985, pretty funny flick, worth a watch.

Absolutely seconding this recommendation. Check it out if you've never seen it before, it's delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Judge! I assume the second half of this card only works with artifacts that can go into the graveyard, correct? Treasures and the like meet the requirement of the first half but not the second.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sickening posted:

Judge! I assume the second half of this card only works with artifacts that can go into the graveyard, correct? Treasures and the like meet the requirement of the first half but not the second.

Tokens still go to the graveyard, they just cease to exist afterward as an SBA, right? Creature tokens still set off "whenever a creature dies" triggers.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Tokens still go to the graveyard, they just cease to exist afterward as an SBA, right? Creature tokens still set off "whenever a creature dies" triggers.

A token creature dying is still dying, put into a graveyard seems very specific and different.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

After a quick look, you are correct. Exuberant Fuseling has the same issues and it works as you describe.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Treasures go to the graveyard and then stop existing. This Krenko completely works with treasures.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sickening posted:

A token creature dying is still dying, put into a graveyard seems very specific and different.

"Dies" is literally "is put into a graveyard from the battlefield".

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Am I correct in thinking I could tap and sac a treasure to make R, Krenko's triggered ability goes off, and I can pay the R to make the creature token? Or does the "goes to the graveyard" part of saccing happen before the R is created?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Probably included in the prerelease kit as a bonus. They did that with MoM. Good way to not strangle prerelease attendance with the sizable price hike.

Well drat

Oh wow, I like this card, it's a slightly better Talrand for 1 mana more, but you don't have to play mono blue in commander and make everyone hate you!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Judgy Fucker posted:

Am I correct in thinking I could tap and sac a treasure to make R, Krenko's triggered ability goes off, and I can pay the R to make the creature token? Or does the "goes to the graveyard" part of saccing happen before the R is created?

The goes to the graveyard part happens at the same time with treasures because mana abilities don't use the stack.

Even if that wasn't the case and you got the mana as a triggered ability from the artifact entering the graveyard (through, say, Crime Novelist, almost like it was designed that way!) you get to choose the order that triggered abilities go on the stack if they both trigger before a player would next receive priority

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

As someone who's built multiple EDH decks with Soulfire as my commander (cause comon'), delighted to see that effect with a decent toughness and in BR.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The disguise/conceal mechanics seem pretty bad, paying a lot to flip a creature. In limited I figure it can be something but for standard they all seem like no gos.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Stagger_Lee posted:

Treasures go to the graveyard and then stop existing. This Krenko completely works with treasures.

Wrong, they made the card wrong and the most obvious exploitable and fun interaction fails to work for unintuitive and pedantic reasons based on verbiage not on any of the relevant game pieces that requires cross-referencing the comprehensive rules.

...That would have to be the case for Krenko to not work with treasures.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Khanstant posted:

The disguise/conceal mechanics seem pretty bad, paying a lot to flip a creature. In limited I figure it can be something but for standard they all seem like no gos.

I think it's too early to say. obviously not all of them would be worth it, but having ward 2 makes them much more viable to just play out than regular morphs (especially if you flip them after the opponents pay for ward) & there could easily be worthwhile effects on reveal among the cards with the mechanic

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Morph & friends were bad in khans block besides the obviously pushed rare megamorph guys in dtk. Pyrotechnic Performer shows that it's probably going to be that way again.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

The difference is that for templating reasons they don't like to say "dies" for non-creatures even though dies applies to any object:
700.4. The term dies means “is put into a graveyard from the battlefield.”

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
can anything truly die if it was never alive in the first place

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Ripper of Bloodlines
3BBB
Mythic Vampire Assassin
Flying
Ward- Sacrifice a Creature
Whenever a creature dies target player loses 2 life, you gain 2 life
6/5

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When they want an effect like that to ignore tokens, they say "artifact/creature/permanent/etc. card" (Descend from Ixalan is like this) or just "non-token" depending on the context it's being used.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 17, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

flatluigi posted:

I think it's too early to say. obviously not all of them would be worth it, but having ward 2 makes them much more viable to just play out than regular morphs (especially if you flip them after the opponents pay for ward) & there could easily be worthwhile effects on reveal among the cards with the mechanic

Oh you could respond to removal by flipping the creature and that would dodge the removal? Or only if it were a damage based spell that they survive upon flipping?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
sonce they came up with ward they've really gone all in on that eh?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Ripper of Bloodlines
3BBB
Mythic Vampire Assassin
Flying
Ward- Sacrifice a Creature
Whenever a creature dies target player loses 2 life, you gain 2 life
6/5

This seems basic but that ward cost is pretty close to Hexproof against some decks. Wish it had more Toughness so it didn’t die to Lightning Axe.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

flatluigi posted:

can anything truly die if it was never alive in the first place

Diregraf Captain says: Yes!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

Oh you could respond to removal by flipping the creature and that would dodge the removal? Or only if it were a damage based spell that they survive upon flipping?

Still the same game object, so either damage based or if it fails for another reason (eg you flip into a vampire after being targeted by victim of night)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Khanstant posted:

Turning a face-down face-up isn't a flicker effect, it's still the same game object. unless it's a card that cares specifically about the facedown side.

Think of it like tapping/untapping.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Khanstant posted:

It doesn't dodge the removal, transformed cards are the same object. If you flip into a creature with more toughness that survives the damage that works

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If a relevant disguise card dodges Cut Down after flipping, that's definitely going to happen to somebody for a huge blowout at some point.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Delney is kind of interesting in Tymna decks, but 3 CMC is so much.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Very interesting if you combine it with ways to lower your own creatures' power though.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Interesting

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Reverse Fact or Fiction is never as good as actual Fact or Fiction. It's basically a punisher card.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Jabor posted:

Reverse Fact or Fiction is never as good as actual Fact or Fiction. It's basically a punisher card.

I don't know, an instant speed 4/4 flyer that cantrips is ok vs a 1/1 flyer that draws 4. Granted your opponent can see which 4 cards you'd be drawing so if its all lands then maybe your opponent doesn't mind letting you draw 4 but that just gets you through your flood faster.

I think its harder for your opponent to know which mode is best for them, and the upsides are good either way. Like maybe your opponent is low and you flash that in on their end step to get an attacker to finish them. Is drawing a bunch of cards worse than getting a big flyer? Of course you're always going to want more cards, and if you flip something like a combo piece you're definitely not getting that pile, but then you can arrange it so that you get a decent creature instead.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Every card draws four other cards these days. So cards that draw four are do-nothing.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Stagger_Lee posted:

Every card draws four other cards these days. So cards that draw four are do-nothing.

If your opponent gets to choose the four cards that don't help you vs the 1 card that will, then it sort of does nothing

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

This card seems good. But then again its an enchantment and 2 power isn't nothing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That seems like it could take a slot in Death and Taxes

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Kellan's gonna slowly cycle through different color pairs every time we see him. Next time he's gonna be U/B.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Sickening posted:

This card seems good. But then again its an enchantment and 2 power isn't nothing.

I've been going back and forth on it. Even in a deck with 20 lands, 4 of this, and 36 cards it hits it's only hitting ~60% of the time without additional library manipulation. That seems okay but unrealistic, so it really needs a bunch of <=2 power creatures that draw, scry, surveil, map etc. to be played in a deck with some interaction and/or other misses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

There's a lot of modes on this, all of which feel individually a bit underpowered but maybe it adds together into something playable somewhere.