Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

CommaToes posted:

Florida seems to have the all star jerseys on its site.

https://flateamshop.com/featured-collections/2024-nhl-all-star/

nice jersey

For a clown

To play hockey in

At the circus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tyler Ennis announced his retirement, let’s see his two best goals of all time:

https://twitter.com/davetrw2/status/1747674794605134247?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

He scored the last playoff GWG for the Sabres lmao

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Head Coach Ryan Reaves, do it cowards

Hell, if this got his contract off the cap… but no… well maybe…

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Hell, if this got his contract off the cap… but no… well maybe…

I would unironically support Ryan Reaves, Asst. Coach of Good Vibes that just gives motivational speaches and personal pep talks. Like not just to get him off the cap, but from how everyone talks about him, he could actually be good at it too. The cap part would be a bonus.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
At this stage I think any coach would be better than Keefe

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you want to try rolling with no coach, Disco Dan Bylsma is your man

e: also if you want to try to Grind These Bitches Down

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
By the way Toronto fans talk about Marner, you wouldn't think he's currently having his sixth straight PPG season, and was a Selke finalist last season (with other great defensive years prior, too). In the offseason, I thought they should have traded him just to shake things up, but this Toronto team seems incredibly committed to running it back again and again and again.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Cody Hodgson signed a PTO with Nashville's AHL team.

Good luck, I guess? Sorry the Canucks hosed up your development so badly.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
With all the smoke about Chychrun being traded he would be the 3rd player that Dorion gave up a high 1st rounder+ for that played for the Sens for a season and then hosed off

Those first rounders could have been Bowen Byram, Kevin Korchinski and Zach Benson lol

How the hell was he GM for almost 8 years

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Chychrun is the player the Pens org mistakenly thought Graves could be and if they're selling everything not nailed down to compete well lfg. Also dump Graves in Ott while you're at it.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://x.com/joshuakloke/status/1747719344728183268?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

Really Sheldon? Cause I remember the GM signing David Kampf to an insane deal specifically because you rely on him so much

Twin Cinema posted:

By the way Toronto fans talk about Marner, you wouldn't think he's currently having his sixth straight PPG season, and was a Selke finalist last season (with other great defensive years prior, too). In the offseason, I thought they should have traded him just to shake things up, but this Toronto team seems incredibly committed to running it back again and again and again.

Again, his skating, defence, and transition game have completely tanked. He’s still passing to Auston Matthews, and once the Leafs have possession in the offensive zone he can still make plays, but watch him in the neutral zone or breaking out and you’ll see he stops skating with the puck on his stick and has no acceleration. Dude’s hurt, and PPG doesn’t mean as much when you’re getting outscored at evens regardless.

https://x.com/arhockeystats/status/1747374479083262207?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

If you thought Graves was anything at all like Chychrun that's all on you, and you set yourself up for failure.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ryan Graves was a direct slot-in replacement for Dumoulin

the only problem is they wanted a replacement for younger Dumoulin but they got a current-age equivalent

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Simplex posted:

If you thought Graves was anything at all like Chychrun that's all on you, and you set yourself up for failure.

I don't and I think neither would the org. Graves is a Pen for the exact reason that Good Soldier Svejk says. Unfortunately, he has neither the speed of thought nor the athleticism/foot speed to function in Sullivan's system.

John Marino is a great example of a player with the speed of thought, but not the foot speed...although his 'burst' was decent enough to make a man miss and then good pass to exit the zone. Matheson is an example in the opposite. Very little brain, but incredible athletic ability to make up for it. Trevor Daley somehow molded both together perfectly.

Chychrun, in my estimation, is an excellent type defenseman that will give incredible outcomes in Sullivan's system. Of course it's extremely unlikely to happen so :shrug: nice to dream

Edit: vvv I hate Ron Hextall so loving much

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 18, 2024

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

At least Pittsburgh got Ty Smith out of the Marino deal

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
is point per game the bar for being elite

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
TNT lucked into bad weather for Chicago-Buffalo. They’re instead showing Detroit-Florida!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

TNT is a dumpster fire and blacked out the real play-by-play announcers nationwide. This is stupid and I hate it.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

Again, his skating, defence, and transition game have completely tanked. He’s still passing to Auston Matthews, and once the Leafs have possession in the offensive zone he can still make plays, but watch him in the neutral zone or breaking out and you’ll see he stops skating with the puck on his stick and has no acceleration. Dude’s hurt, and PPG doesn’t mean as much when you’re getting outscored at evens regardless.

https://x.com/arhockeystats/status/1747374479083262207?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

I should have been clearer -- I am tired of Marner. Even before this season, I was hoping they'd trade him just to get some new ~vibes~. Dude is playing his worst hockey right now, and it's making it even worse. I can't think of another player who has played as great for a team, like Marner has, and has been so disliked by his team's fanbase.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I don't and I think neither would the org. Graves is a Pen for the exact reason that Good Soldier Svejk says. Unfortunately, he has neither the speed of thought nor the athleticism/foot speed to function in Sullivan's system.

John Marino is a great example of a player with the speed of thought, but not the foot speed...although his 'burst' was decent enough to make a man miss and then good pass to exit the zone. Matheson is an example in the opposite. Very little brain, but incredible athletic ability to make up for it. Trevor Daley somehow molded both together perfectly.

Chychrun, in my estimation, is an excellent type defenseman that will give incredible outcomes in Sullivan's system. Of course it's extremely unlikely to happen so :shrug: nice to dream

Edit: vvv I hate Ron Hextall so loving much

Sometimes it can be rough in the first year in a new system. Graves also seems incredibly dumb as a hockey player so perhaps it will take him time to adjust. That's the glass half full take anyhow.

Chychrun would be great but even if Dubas wanted him there's no way he's got the cap space to make it happen unless they decide to trade Guentzel which I don't see them doing with a playoff spot on the line.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

I should have been clearer -- I am tired of Marner. Even before this season, I was hoping they'd trade him just to get some new ~vibes~. Dude is playing his worst hockey right now, and it's making it even worse. I can't think of another player who has played as great for a team, like Marner has, and has been so disliked by his team's fanbase.

What do you trade for? A top defender? A reliable goalie?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Adam Larsson. One for one.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

heehee posted:

I'd say more like 1.25 at this point

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

heehee posted:

PPG/flow

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
There are 39 PPG players with at least 20 games played this season, and 12 are at 1.25 PPG or better.

Goals are fun.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

This also seems (anecdotally) like a season with a high amount of goals. So if you were a 1.0 in a given year, you’re at 1.25 this year.

I don’t know if that’s true, but it sure seems like it. All the goalie stats are down across the board, teams have apparently abandoned defense as a concept, poo poo is fully off the rails. Am I seeing things from a skewed perspective?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Leaguewide scoring isn't up at all over last year--in fact it's very slightly down. 258 goals scored per team last year, we're on pace for 253 per team this year.

Overall scoring had been trending upward for about a decade before plateauing two years ago.

It does subjectively feel like the best forwards look better and the worst defensemen look worse than they did 5 years ago or whatever, and that more of the scoring is being concentrated in the top lines, but I don't know if any fancystats back that up at all.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 18, 2024

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I think realistically, the Leafs probably lose any deal involving Marner. But, my wish list would be a top defender and a top-6 forward. How likely that is, I don't know.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Twin Cinema posted:

I think realistically, the Leafs probably lose any deal involving Marner. But, my wish list would be a top defender and a top-6 forward. How likely that is, I don't know.

Since you never said league wide top defender or top-6 forward welcome to Toronto Connor Murphy and Jason Dickinson.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

I think it would have been funny to trade him for Karlsson this last offseason. full chaos in the Leafs top 6 and d-corps

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Dylan Larkin…..

….is good.

Alex Lyon is also good.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Lyon keeps crushing it. What a stud.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ville Husso? Never heard of him.

This is an Alex Lyon Household.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/daniel_amoia/status/1747814605722644482

lol Lindy hates Holtz so much

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I can get behind a career backup goalie deciding he's a starter in his 30s

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't watch the Devils all that much, maybe a game every week or so, but Holtz feels like one of those guys who gets traded because the coach doesn't like him or whatever and then turns into a really good player somewhere else. I'm not basing this on anything other than vibes, but it's what I believe.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I can get behind a career backup goalie deciding he's a starter in his 30s

It’s either 2023 or 2024, baby. This is the year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't watch the Devils all that much, maybe a game every week or so, but Holtz feels like one of those guys who gets traded because the coach doesn't like him or whatever and then turns into a really good player somewhere else. I'm not basing this on anything other than vibes, but it's what I believe.

This is blatantly obvious to everyone.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Ah ok I gotcha. I don’t think it’s that surprising, a very public spat with the front office leading to an overly rich contract and then not just underperforming but looking and sounding bad on and off the ice in chronic playoff exits. This market also doesn’t embrace small passers as a rule, if Marner could throw a check and dropped em once a year he’d be unimpeachable in this town

e: for example, think about how Flames fans turned on Gaudreau, pretty similar imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I hopes this happens

I hope Ruff is given free reign to remake the team as he sees fit