Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Figure one a day in the mornings, just finished burning the first log after chopping it and got the house to about 72. Hell I’m considering cracking a window cause It’s warmer in here than I’m used to haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Guess we will get an answer to what the Third Reich would look like if the trains were *never* on time.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1747682442821923200?s=20

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah if you're using like one or two bits a day that's manageable, a cord is like... a few hundred of them

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

What kind of timberland boots are we talking? Like euro hikers? Or something a bit more utilitarian?

Its like the classic Timberland design, just some nice colors and trim.

Also, thinking of getting something like this:

https://www.oceanstatejoblot.com/turbulenz-cordless-18v-electric-snow-shovel/product/275645

Anyone have something similar? I don't have a lot to shovel, but it seems like it will make what I do have a lot easier.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Bird in a Blender posted:

I heard from a friend that their 6 year old wets the bed literally every night. He doesn't get up though, he just pees and sleeps through it. It means they strip the bed every night and replace his sheets though. If there's one thing I'm grateful for with my kid is that he usually sleeps through the night, and the only bed wetting issues we've had are when he's sick.

I remember those days. Glad we don't have to put bed pads down anymore. I'll take stripping the bed once every once in a great while to having to spend money on them every week. Hoping we can get away from the pull-ups soon too and that's been looking better despite the occasional accident.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

It’s like the classic Timberland design, just some nice colors and trim.

Oh gotcha yeah I have no experience with those but 20m New Yorkers can’t be wrong.

I’ve got some dressier Goodyear welt Wolverines I’ve had for a billion years and they’re bombproof. I’ll prob look at RedWings in the next couple years. I’ve got some Lems mid height “waterproof” hiking shoes and some Blundstones I love too, but none of those are really comparable.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I hate that kind of poo poo!!! Gahhhh gently caress that manager.

What’s the level of difficulty of transferring to a different team/department?

How’s your industry looking? Stable enough that getting into a different company should be relatively accessible?

I keep seeing headlines about some tech companies slowing down hiring but idk if that’s true or just clickbaity headlines. Other industries like accounting, oil&gas, insurance, etc., seem to be doing alright.

Transferring to another department is basically like going through the hiring process for a new job, since I’d be going to a different role. Since I’m internal, I’d potentially get an edge over outside hires, but it depends on the specific role. I’d already tried twice in the past, once got turned down because I didn’t have the specific experience they wanted (Which was expected but disappointing) and the other got shelved until the new budget takes effect whenever that was. There’s one or two others I’m looking into, but it’s not a quick or easy thing, sadly. I’m also already looking external as well, but that’s a whole other can of worms.

For what my company does, the industry is actually great. We’re one of the biggest in the world in our specialized area and hit a billion dollars in sales last year, growing a ton…

…But it goes back primarily to the aforementioned idiot manager and to a lesser extent, the VP of the department above her. Short version is the manager has been here since 11/2022, and the new VP came along back in 6/2023. Despite all the growth our company has had, while every other department has considerably increased in size, our headcount hasn’t changed in 18 months and the people the manager has hired have been uniformly poo poo. The VP is remote, works out of one of the companies we actually acquired, so he’s only in our office 3-4 days every 3~ weeks or so, meaning he simply isn’t here to see the day to day poo poo going on, and based on my conversations with him, I have low expectations anyway.

Going to another department would be my best option, since a lot of the poo poo is solely due to the manager doing poo poo crap that nobody else does. Going to another company in the same industry would be tricky since I don’t think most of the others are based down here.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The secret is to get into the start up life. They are always dumb enough to be hiring because Capital XYZ Injection is at 5000% or whatever the bullshit is that day.

I was at Chewy at the tail end of their start up phase and it was loving amazing and a great place at the time. Within 6 months of them going public, it became awful.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The secret is to get into the start up life. They are always dumb enough to be hiring because Capital XYZ Injection is at 5000% or whatever the bullshit is that day.

I've worked at a few pre-revenue startups over the years and I don't think I have the mental or emotional fortitude to ever do that again. One of them, a healthcare tech company on the west side of Madison that had a really cool product, went out of business shortly after I left (I bailed because it was clear the CEO and the co-founders were just trying to get the company above a certain valuation so they could sell it); I read their bankruptcy filing and they listed nearly $3 million in liabilities with only $220,000 in cash and short-term assets. :stonk:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I work in tech, and in my field, I am very well paid relative to other peers with the same job title as mine (for reference, salary alone I make way more what I made at my entry level job in 2011 which was considered a 'decent' starting salary). I have no desire to find 'meaningful' work, because I don't think working at a non-profit is going to be meaningful or something of that nature. So I'm sort of stuck at this well-paying job that is unfulfilling, but at the same time, I can kind of half-rear end it, get good marks, and do other stuff. I saw my wife burn herself out in these "fast-paced" startup style jobs, and have no desire there either. It's extremely first world problems, but man... I just don't want to work, which is probably why I contribute max to my 401k, and hope for an early retirement.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm going to give myself an extremely negative self-review at work this year, just to see if anybody's actually reading it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I am incredibly well paid in comparison to how little work I actually do during the week, and I could easily go back to a field engineer role but traffic and endless gobshites trying to be funny are not for me

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

swickles posted:

I have thoughts for Ross and others when I get to a computer. For now, my more important and materialistic problem (kidding): I bought my first pair of boots last month, and after breaking them in, I like them. They are stylish and comfortable and fairly cheap since I was concerned that I might not like how they wear on my feet and legs. Now that I know I can wear boots, I am fine spending money on them. Now the problem is that I am a fancy bitch with footwear. I can look in 5 shoe stores and only find 1 pair I like, and they inevitably end up being the most expensive pair by far. I saw a pair of Timberlands that I like and want to know if they are worth it? Like I know they are expensive, and while I want them to be fashionable (to me) I also don't want to have to avoid snow in them. I would like to use them as functional boots as well. Are they actually good boots or am I just paying for the name?

My job involves walking up and down a concrete loading dock for 8 hours a day and I like my Timberlands quite well.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

General Dog posted:

I'm going to give myself an extremely negative self-review at work this year, just to see if anybody's actually reading it.

In my experience, the manager will pretty much just copy/paste your self review into the system as their own review so I would advise against this.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

General Dog posted:

I strongly advise against this. Those do get read because those self-reviews are tied to your boss's review. You can mess around and gently caress up some undeserving middle manager's life as well as your own.

You're gonna expose yourself to one or all of a few outcomes depending on the size of your company - 1. you gently caress yourself out of a raise or a bonus, 2. HR singles you out and puts you on a probation or "performance improvement plan" aka you're now a risky employee and you rocket to the top of the poo poo list, or 3. in a large organization you might get yourself ranked at or towards the bottom of your department and risk being automatically laid off by ATS or AI with no path to appeal to a human.

These are all things happening at Geico right now by the way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've never worked somewhere where you had to give your own self reviews (short of disciplinary action, everything in the post office is determined entirely based on seniority, before that it was mostly restaurant work where promotions and raises basically don't exist), but I think if I did I'd try and be a combination of honest and also want at least a 10% raise.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Self reviews are in theory just designed to get you to self assess and inform your management where your career should be going but with the pressure everyone's under these days they're usually a waste of time.

I hate doing them as a manager and I hate having to do my own.

Let me clock in, do my 8 hours, give me a raise in line with inflation and let me go home.

Also Ross you're not alone buddy. I had a horrid weekend where I was at one point legitimately having suicidal thoughts. Bizarrely by yesterday I felt back to about 75% and the clouds seemed to have parted. I basically knocked myself out with weed slept 11 hours. Definitely don't self medicate, it was dumb and potentially dangerous but more to my point is, you need to rest and re assess in the cold light of day.

Take a couple days off work even if you need to. Set some very small and achievable goals and start taking those steps. We always suffer more in our minds than in reality.

You seem like a good dude, you seem like a considered, thoughtful and capable dude. You'll be ok. You just can't give up. Trust yourself.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

My day job isn’t actively harmful to society, so my philosophy has become “do enough to stay gainfully employed so I can then go out and do the things that matter”. I used to want a job that was germane to my interests and was “making the world a better place” but then I realized that that almost universally makes you hate the thing you used to love. Now I’m all about my creative stuff on my own time and volunteering on weekends and it’s a lot more fulfilling than if I was just, like, doing IT at a nonprofit or something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I got selected to a Grand Jury yesterday, I've got to go in for a day every other week for three months. Overall the first day wasn't too bad, way more laid back and lower stakes than being on a "real" trial jury in criminal court.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

General Dog posted:

I got selected to a Grand Jury yesterday, I've got to go in for a day every other week for three months. Overall the first day wasn't too bad, way more laid back and lower stakes than being on a "real" trial jury in criminal court.

Lucky bastard. Unless it's a murder say no.

Edit: if it's a rich dude stealing a ton of money definitely say yes.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Alone with the twins today.
Dad was going to come over to help but his car couldn’t make it up the icy driveway and slid off.
Nanny was going to come in to help with the evening shift and then babysit while we finally went with friends to dinner that we’ve pushed off like five times over the last half year. Person in front of her had a chunk of ice fall off and it bounced up and broke her windshield. They kept driving.
Wife left work a little early to help bathe the kids and put them down. Her tire exploded on the interstate.

RIP dry January 1/2/2024-1/17/2024

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Self reviews are easy: poo poo I did that was good, poo poo I continue to do well, plans for the next year and / or things I want to improve

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Performance plans and self-reviews an all that poo poo are the best use of AI. Or at least rampant plagiarism.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Abugadu posted:

Performance plans and self-reviews an all that poo poo are the best use of AI. Or at least rampant plagiarism.

"I do not understand what love is, but I know what it feels like."

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Slip-on crampons are money if you have to be outside in the ice. Came in handy while I used my snow shovel to try breaking up all the ice in my driveway.

:negative:

I really need to get a flat-nosed shovel for this specific task instead of trying with my snow shovel.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Android Apocalypse posted:

Slip-on crampons are money if you have to be outside in the ice. Came in handy while I used my snow shovel to try breaking up all the ice in my driveway.

:negative:

I really need to get a flat-nosed shovel for this specific task instead of trying with my snow shovel.

Ice chopper is what you need:

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

LeeMajors posted:

My daughter talked me into downloading Minecraft so she could play a bit easier (she’s been playing World of Cubes on her tablet) and I’m pretty sure I’m straight up going to lose many hours of my life tunneling deep into the earth like a goddamned Tolkienesque dwarf.

I let my kid get it this Christmas on his iPad and I'm not sure what the hell he's doing in it. He wants a bunch of mods too that cost $$$ , no thanks.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Shared this with a few discords and might well share it here.

For those in the US, if you don't know your state may have unclaimed property(mainly money) of yours. https://unclaimed.org/

I've done this a few times over the years. Got about $5k over the years (90% of it was a single item from some stock sale).
Pretty easy to file a claim. And, money is money so worth to check!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Digital Jedi posted:

Shared this with a few discords and might well share it here.

For those in the US, if you don't know your state may have unclaimed property(mainly money) of yours. https://unclaimed.org/

I've done this a few times over the years. Got about $5k over the years (90% of it was a single item from some stock sale).
Pretty easy to file a claim. And, money is money so worth to check!

Someone shared this a few weeks back and I wound up getting like $800 from it. I shared it around my friend group and one guy found 3 that wound up totaling around $5k

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Interview felt good and I think it went well.

The recruiter said there's a trip to Australia involved for onboarding.

WISH ME LUCK LADIES AND GENTLEMANS

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

can you get me an interview

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

trevorreznik posted:

I let my kid get it this Christmas on his iPad and I'm not sure what the hell he's doing in it. He wants a bunch of mods too that cost $$$ , no thanks.

Ah yeah I’ve got all the store poo poo turned off and heavy parental controls on her profile.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
This is Nightshade. He's so stinking cute. Omg :3:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Let us know where ya garn and I can tell you good spots.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Watch for drop bears and hoop snakes

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Good luck 3DH!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
What do you do when it's a pretty cold winter night?
https://i.imgur.com/Yhe1YUq.mp4
Watch a nice movie that takes place in the summer.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Oh I hit the episode of King of the Hill where Luanne moves out and got violent flashbacks to my roommate experiences.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Android Apocalypse posted:

What do you do when it's a pretty cold winter night?
https://i.imgur.com/Yhe1YUq.mp4
Watch a nice movie that takes place in the summer.

No. When it’s cold out is when I watch The Thing.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I did notice in the 1st episode of True Detective: Night Country a copy of The Thing can be seen amongst the video library. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Today I had to make a phone call that has me seriously doubting I want to keep doing this job.

I like helping people navigate the red tape. I hate when I lose a rules nitpicking contest with our state director's office, and have to call an amputee back and tell her yea as it turns out I got overruled and you do owe us 30 grand and we're shutting your check back off because you tried to work.

She understood. I'd have felt better if she called me a piece of poo poo.