Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Eregos posted:

I was trying to think, what did George Santos do that was worse than Trump's equivalent behavior? My only answer so far is Trump didn't categorically make up his background. A surprising % of Republicans condemn Santos but not Trump, so I think this is a good discussion topic because it can encourage people to think. I'm wondering if anyone has an intellectually honest answer, though I haven't searched for discussion on it much.

I'm reminded of the old quote about Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers ("'Sure he was great, but dont forget that Ginger Rogers did everything he did…backwards and in high heels’") but the real difference is that Santos had less power and is brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

socialsecurity posted:

If Trump was just a house member in an not super contested district they probably would give him the same poo poo they gave Santos.

To be clear, kicking out Santos is quite possibly going to lose the republicans a house seat. The seat has not been contested in the past, as it was a safely D. The reason Santos won was that the liked incumbent left the seat for a gubernatorial run, and the guy the party found to replace him was really unlikable and just a bad candidate in so many ways. The old democrat incumbent has announced he's running to replace Santos. Against him, the republicans are running a registered democrat (?).

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Eregos posted:

I was trying to think, what did George Santos do that was worse than Trump's equivalent behavior? My only answer so far is Trump didn't categorically make up his background. A surprising % of Republicans condemn Santos but not Trump, so I think this is a good discussion topic because it can encourage people to think. I'm wondering if anyone has an intellectually honest answer, though I haven't searched for discussion on it much.

Santos tricked some dipshits from Long Island into believing him, while Trump tricked a whole nation of dipshits. And people don't like to admit to even themselves that they got scammed. Plus Santos got exposed as a liar within 6 months of them being aware of his existence. Trump had decades to really sink the lies in before anyone ever got around to pointing out he was a fraud. That's a long time for your brain to come to terms with being tricked for.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xand_Man posted:

Teabag Dome Scandal

Can this be the new thread title even though it's not technically related to Trump

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Eregos posted:

It's not about what Santos has done, it's about what he hasn't done. Specifically, he hasn't demonstrated overwhelming popularity with Republican voters to the point of beating several of the GOP's major national contenders.

Remember, most of the GOP leadership hated Trump in the 2016 primaries. But after he beat their favored candidates, they had to fall in line, and not only did he do better than any of them expected, but he became the face of the GOP and the leader of a major political movement of his own. They can't really oppose him anymore.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not about what Santos has done, it's about what he hasn't done. Specifically, he hasn't demonstrated overwhelming popularity with Republican voters to the point of beating several of the GOP's major national contenders.

Remember, most of the GOP leadership hated Trump in the 2016 primaries. But after he beat their favored candidates, they had to fall in line, and not only did he do better than any of them expected, but he became the face of the GOP and the leader of a major political movement of his own. They can't really oppose him anymore.
Donald Trump being alive is proof that God will not grant prayers made by the entirety of the US Congress.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I thought the 'line too far' for Santos was directly stealing from and perpetrating identity fraud on donors.

https://apnews.com/article/george-santos-credit-card-fraud-f723e69a777b02a2e6b87595f45c21ce

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Eregos posted:

George Santos didn't have a Press Secretary that came out and said how Trump was the best thing ever created, which was wall to wall shown every day on Fox News.
Remember daily Sean Spicer, Sarah Huckabee, and Kayleigh McAnemy, would come out, all news channels would cut over to hear the words of wisdom from the white house.
And they would take some very very soft ball questions like "Why is the President's dick so massive and permanent hard?" from Peter Ducey.
And then walk off ignore any probing questions from anyone else.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AvesPKS posted:

I thought the 'line too far' for Santos was directly stealing from and perpetrating identity fraud on donors.

https://apnews.com/article/george-santos-credit-card-fraud-f723e69a777b02a2e6b87595f45c21ce

Trump also did that. Only from small donors though.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, it slipped under the radar when Trumps PAC was required to give back a fuckload of money because they were charging people’s credit cards without authorization.

I expect that Trump still steals from his donors even with getting caught.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

The Islamic Shock posted:

Donald Trump being alive is proof that God will not grant prayers made by the entirety of the US Congress.

Trump is proof there is a hell and they're in here with us.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Eregos posted:

long story short santos didn't have a mentor to teach him what laws to break. he could have flown under the wing of any number of scumbags and learned the ins and outs but he tried to do poo poo himself *sad trumbone* santos did not pick his crimes well

it was super embarrassing when he tried to "but they do it too" with a completely different crime that is de facto leagal: why didn't you just do that stuff george???

jesus gently caress ytrungo has to be the luckiest motherfucker in history. just a lifetime of being handed what he needs

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Trump was the President, a national office that gets elected by people from all across the country.

Santos meanwhile was only elected by the great dipshits NY’s third district. Nobody else.

Any congressperson going after Trump is going to have a bunch of people back home get pissed at them for it, because they voted for Trump. But the people of Podunk Falls, WY do not give a poo poo about George Santos ; NY 3rd district are probably a bunch of [slurs] anyway, why would Joe Glockenload care about them.

Santos faced repercussions because it was easier and had fewer negative consequences. This isn’t some moral threshold thing, it’s because it’s easier to backstab someone at the same level in the hierarchy than it is to stab up.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Also Trump defeated Hillary Clinton, the Republican Party's greatest nightmare boogeyman figure.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Main Paineframe posted:

If the judge meant to ban him from tweeting about the trial or publicly speaking about the trial, she would have specifically said so.

The cycle ends when he gets tired of paying large amounts of money to her and shuts up.

No, but the penalties will escalate to much greater amounts as he continues to defame. When he's bankrupt, he presumably doesn't have nearly as much of a platform and thus his defamation wouldn't be much of a threat anymore. Presumably, though, he'd stop before blowing his entire fortune.

That's assuming they'd actually fine him anything of substance.

How many times did he violate a gag order or some other order from the judge in his current trial? And how much has he been charged in fines? And how much has been paid?

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I can't find any evidence that Trump transferred donor money to his personal bank account.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

AvesPKS posted:

I can't find any evidence that Trump transferred donor money to his personal bank account.

He didn't from his political campaign. That is explicitly illegal and there is no evidence he did that.

What he did do was set up his "election integrity fund" right after the 2020 election that was supposed to be used to investigate voter fraud and return him to office. That fund spent less than 6% of the money on anything related to voter fraud and the rest went into Trump's legal fees for other trials and funding public events.

That isn't quite illegal, but his donors were basically fleeced into believing that donating to this fund would put Trump back in the White House and prevent Biden from taking office.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

That's assuming they'd actually fine him anything of substance.

How many times did he violate a gag order or some other order from the judge in his current trial? And how much has he been charged in fines? And how much has been paid?

I think there were a couple receipts floating about that Habba has paid....something out of the trust. Maybe it was fines accrued in last year's legal woes?

Not very much, in any case, compared to what he may someday "owe".

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

mdemone posted:

I think there were a couple receipts floating about that Habba has paid....something out of the trust. Maybe it was fines accrued in last year's legal woes?

There was something about the special master not being notified about certain disbursements from the trust that were related to judgements or legal fees, IIRC. I think they were acceptable disbursements under the terms things are being handled, but it resulted in a change to some of the reporting to the special master to make sure stuff like that was included.

MonkeyOnFire
Jun 3, 2004
I LOVE MONKEYS
Trump having a normal one in court today: https://abcnews.go.com/US/live-updates/trump-defamation-trial/?id=106403966#106450941

quote:

"Mr. Trump has the right to be present here. That right can be forfeited and it can be forfeited if he is disruptive, which is what has been reported to me," the judge said. "Mr. Trump, I hope I don't have to consider excluding you from the trial."

"I understand you are probably very eager for me to do that," the judge added, to which Trump threw his up his arms and said, "I would love it, I would love it."

"I know you would, because you can't control yourself in this circumstance," Kaplan replied. "You just can't."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I love it, especially later in the summer

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

mdemone posted:

It's part of a lawyers duty to keep their client out of jail. Failure to pay a court sanction would put the client into jail, so the lawyer typically deducts the sanction fee from their retainer and sends it to the court.

Once the retainer escrow balance gets low, from both these fees and normal billing that the lawyer does for working on the case the lawyer then calls up the client and says "hey, you need to deposit another ten grand into the retainer."

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Cimber posted:

It's part of a lawyers duty to keep their client out of jail. Failure to pay a court sanction would put the client into jail, so the lawyer typically deducts the sanction fee from their retainer and sends it to the court.

Once the retainer escrow balance gets low, from both these fees and normal billing that the lawyer does for working on the case the lawyer then calls up the client and says "hey, you need to deposit another ten grand into the retainer."

"NO! Keep me out of jail, this is a witch hunt!!! "

I can see how this puts his lawyers into a sticky position because they have a lunatic for a client.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
e: dupe

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 36 hours!)

Kaplan is taking no poo poo in the Carroll trial.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/live-updates/trump-defamation-trial/?id=106403966#106450941

'You can't control yourself,' judge admonishes Trump

At the lunch break, Judge Lewis Kaplan threatened to boot former President Trump from the courtroom if he continues to make side comments within earshot of the jury.

The warning came after E. Jean Carroll's attorney Shawn Crowley complained for a second time about Trump's comments.

"The defendant has been making statements that we can hear at counsel table," she said, quoting Trump as saying, "It is a witch hunt" and "It really is a con job." When a video of Trump disparaging E. Jean Carroll was played for the court, Crowley said Trump remarked, "It's true."

Judge Kaplan, in response, addressed the defense from the bench.

"Mr. Trump has the right to be present here. That right can be forfeited and it can be forfeited if he is disruptive, which is what has been reported to me," the judge said. "Mr. Trump, I hope I don't have to consider excluding you from the trial."

"I understand you are probably very eager for me to do that," the judge added, to which Trump threw his up his arms and said, "I would love it, I would love it."

"I know you would, because you can't control yourself in this circumstance," Kaplan replied. "You just can't."

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 17, 2024

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I wonder how Trump would like an all expenses paid vacation to the Islands for 48 hours?

Island of Rikers.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Trump got what he wanted out of attacking Engoron’s clerk. Lots and lots of national media coverage.

He’s running the same playbook here. He wants to be gagged. He wants to be expelled. He wants to go on RWM with a new list of grievances. His old ones have gotten tired and worn and he’s losing peoples attention.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Trump is not a fox playing 5-D chess from the Defense table. He's just mentally and physically incapable of refraining from throwing tantrums and striking back at anyone or anything that doesn't praise him as great. He doesn't care if his grievances are old hat or played out, he's still going to harp on them. We just live in a hosed up world where this narcissistic piece of poo poo somehow stumbled into media relevance while leading his own cult.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No it's Habba engaging in the 5D chess

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1747703803468537972

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1747720793629364454

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 17, 2024

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
What the gently caress are they even going over in that trial? He was convicted of doing the thing, convicted of liable, walked outside and on tape said the exact same illegal thing.

How does any tweet at all come into play for the defense here?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

"That would be a good idea"

:lol::lol::lol:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What the gently caress are they even going over in that trial?

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1747700715139502550

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, I've been following that thread and... uh... so was Habba's master plan to go "Ah hah! You deleted threats to your life and lied to your friends about feeling threatened!" and have the case thrown out of court?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Randalor posted:

Yeah, I've been following that thread and... uh... so was Habba's master plan to go "Ah hah! You deleted threats to your life and lied to your friends about feeling threatened!" and have the case thrown out of court?

I think she wanted to prove Carroll was a liar because she said Montana was "Great" and "Not Boring". Both highly questionable statements.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
This is the intro case to an Ace Attorney game.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Omg

"Sir the prosecution is showing evidence that is bad for my client, please stop this madness"

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

cr0y posted:

Omg

"Sir the prosecution is showing evidence that is bad for my client, please stop this madness"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx32b5igLwA

But it is nice to know the train of bad lawyers defending Trump continues to roll, or rather wreck

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

lol, never thought i'd see the liar, liar objection in the wild

edit: great minds think alike

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Reading that thread is like reading some weird nega-Matlock parody skit. I'm just a simple big city lawyer.

Trump Legal Troubles: Trying To Read Out Loud A Document Not Yet In Evidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Gyges posted:

Reading that thread is like reading some weird nega-Matlock parody skit. I'm just a simple big city lawyer.

Trump Legal Troubles: Trying To Read Out Loud A Document Not Yet In Evidence

I know basically Jack and poo poo about the court process and even I know You Do Not Do This