Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

AgentHaiTo posted:

Trying out some random mods, and this one is interesting: More Reactive Companions https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/5447

What it does is allow your companions to say the comments when triggered by something, they would only normally make when they are the origin character. I started a new run, and just met Nettie and they each had some comments to say about that meeting, and it made sense context-wise.

Has anyone tried this out with Party Limit Begone? Interested to see how those two interact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Ziggy likes it. If you use Party Limit Begone there are 2 spots I am aware of that will mess up if you bring more than 4 people. Under Dark Boat and House of Hope, because Hope only generates 4 copies of Debtors clothes. You can loot more in the building in the wardrobes that are in the halls but if they are spotted without them then you have set off the alarm

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Does the Party Limit Begone mod also flood you with Inspiration rolls, and is there a way to turn those off?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I did the Party Limit Begone mod last playthrough. It was surprisingly bug-free (besides the two broken spots that Black Noise brought up) but I still had a few qualms with it:

A) It eventually got to be a bit... much, lugging around a growing amount of dudes in my party. Not even talking about the combat, either, it was just bordering on immersion-breaking to have all these folks following me around the map.

B) Only 4 companions (well, you + 3 companions) can appear in conversations, and on multiple occasions I had to reload to get the companion I actually wanted to appear in the conversation to show up. Oddly enough, some later act convos did have the person I wanted there in addition to the regular 3 companions so ymmv

For future playthroughs, I'll probably just drop the mod entirely. I really wish there was a "oh this conversation is *really* crucial for [companion who is not currently in your party], I'll just grab them from camp and send them back when it's done" mod.

exquisite tea posted:

Does the Party Limit Begone mod also flood you with Inspiration rolls, and is there a way to turn those off?

Yes, you are indeed absolutely flooded by Inspiration points lol

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Any tips for the act 3 (Shadowheart quest) battle with Viconia (Shadowheart's ex-boss underground) with the massive army who can block healing and cause blind way too easily?

Starting the fight before the dialogue, I got them down to a handful using Cloud Of Daggers in a choke point on the stairs, but they eventually beat me through attrition.

I swear Sunlight spell refuses to work, but it might be because I get too mired in darkness by then, and just need to set it up beforehand, I guess it's supposed to be on a weapon? But a character can't even cast it on themselves in darkness?

I have one party member start the fight and misty step to the top of the stairs. Then I cast globe of invulnerability over the party and wall of fire on the choke point. Feel free to sprinkle in some hunger of hadar or the spiky floor spell to add some damage as they come at you to die.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I have a mod that limits the number of inspiration points you can carry (including 0 if you want) but I guess that wouldn't remove the notification

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I need that mod that warns you about casting a concentration spell while you are already concentrating on one to work again. I could play this game 50000000 hours and I will still gently caress that up.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My concentration mod disables (greys out) concentration spells while i have one active. Even better than a warning

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Node posted:

I need that mod that warns you about casting a concentration spell while you are already concentrating on one to work again. I could play this game 50000000 hours and I will still gently caress that up.

I make my players when I’m dming wear a big funny hat when they’re concentrating so maybe put on a big funny hat irl

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
drat for some reason the game never gave me an opportunity to tell Keith I (indirectly) killed his daughter

But at least the buggy corpses let me do a lovely family portrait

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

The way the level/difficulty curve works I think you’re basically overleveled for most of act 3 if you’re 11 or 12, but yeah house of hope will give you a full level pretty much. In every playthrough since my 1st I’ve used it to go from 11-12

The trade off in the game giving you so many magic items should’ve been harder level ups but you level up insanely quick so the difficulty fades off hard, which is kind of sad

the items in the game are kinda insane

the str club (hard set str to 19) and titanstring bow which scales off str+dex
the int circlet (hard set int to 17)
dex glove (hard set dex to 18)

are all act 1

there's a glove that hardsets str to 23 and an amulet which hard sets con to 23 in act 3

you can just stat dump so hard in this game without being penalized

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Headband of Intellect is worth keeping around in Act 3 if you wanna pass the DC25 Arcana Check for the Mirror of Loss without having to respec your entire party to Wizards for 10 whole minutes. Hold onto that plus Mage's Friend from the Arcane Tower and the Shapeshifter Ring from the Strange Ox (with a scroll of Seeming) when the time is right.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Typo posted:

the items in the game are kinda insane

the str club (hard set str to 19) and titanstring bow which scales off str+dex
the int circlet (hard set int to 17)
dex glove (hard set dex to 18)

are all act 1

there's a glove that hardsets str to 23 and an amulet which hard sets con to 23 in act 3

you can just stat dump so hard in this game without being penalized

Not only this but the lack of stat requirements on multiclassing

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm looking at the "critical easier when hiding" cloak that Sticky sells in act 3. Is there any combination that lets you stay hiding after attacking? I've already got three crit-improving items and a conditional crit-improving item on my hand crossbow Astarion so if not it's not big loss, I'll just keep the displacement cloak on him.

There's a sword from a quest in act 2, the justiciar scimitar, that has a once per short rest attack that allows you to get sneak attack and doesn't break stealth. If you didn't get it, well, rip. But yeah greater invisibility will keep you invisible but you still have to restealth and enemies can spot you

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Not only this but the lack of stat requirements on multiclassing

yeah it's pretty pro-tip to get 1 level in wizard so you can cast haste on yourself

in DnD you had to have int 13 to do it, in BG3 there's no restriction

Larian should prob implement it tbh, it just feel so so cheesy

Typo fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 17, 2024

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

exquisite tea posted:

The Headband of Intellect is worth keeping around in Act 3 if you wanna pass the DC25 Arcana Check for the Mirror of Loss without having to respec your entire party to Wizards for 10 whole minutes. Hold onto that plus Mage's Friend from the Arcane Tower and the Shapeshifter Ring from the Strange Ox (with a scroll of Seeming) when the time is right.

the shapeshifter ring is lowkey one of the best items esp in early game because it lets you pass sleigh of hand checks when you don't have enough gold to buy consumables

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Typo posted:

the shapeshifter ring is lowkey one of the best items esp in early game because it lets you pass sleigh of hand checks when you don't have enough gold to buy consumables

It's very good, but it sure does feel peculiar having Astarion's voice and animations tied to a default character model while he's running around with Disguise Self for that sweet +1d4.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Typo posted:

yeah it's pretty pro-tip to get 1 level in wizard so you can cast haste on yourself

in DnD you had to have int 13 to do it, in BG3 there's no restriction

Larian should prob implement it tbh, it just feel so so cheesy

This seems like a duh answer but you are allowed to follow your own personal attunement and multi classing rules which causes a lot of the "why do I steamroll the game".

Thundarr posted:

It's very good, but it sure does feel peculiar having Astarion's voice and animations tied to a default character model while he's running around with Disguise Self for that sweet +1d4.

Sebastian saw right through it. It's BS frankly. Invis works though if you are really anti lore.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
After a couple of Honour Mode playthroughs I can confidently say that the fight I hate the most is Oliver in Act 2. Not difficult, mind you, just really annoying because having good initiative actively hurts you in that fight. Oliver's Legendary action is really annoying as well because he can't be knocked prone.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

My concentration mod disables (greys out) concentration spells while i have one active. Even better than a warning

This should just be in the base game. Motherflippin' Solasta has a warning when you're about to break concentration.

Larian pls

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I've gotten used to checking to see if I have a concentration spell active during combat.

What really annoys me is outside of combat using guidance and then realizing I just canceled out some long term buff I want to use. That's only really a problem early on when I sometimes like using Shield of Faith though because past the early game my conc is just being used on Spirit Guardians anyways

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
I noticed at some point that if you mouseover a character it shows you their statuses including whether they're concentrating on something or not

Of course, this only works if you mouseover a character other than the one you're currently on... otherwise it would be too useful :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You can always see what your character is concentrating on with an icon to the bottom left of the hotbar, just below their portrait. You can even cancel it early so your entire party doesn't walk through your cloud of daggers once combat ends.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

You can always see what your character is concentrating on with an icon to the bottom left of the hotbar, just below their portrait. You can even cancel it early so your entire party doesn't walk through your cloud of daggers once combat ends.

I do hate that it defaults to ending turn based mode after winning combat and everyone runs to the currently controlled character for this reason

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Black Noise posted:

Ziggy likes it. If you use Party Limit Begone there are 2 spots I am aware of that will mess up if you bring more than 4 people. Under Dark Boat and House of Hope, because Hope only generates 4 copies of Debtors clothes. You can loot more in the building in the wardrobes that are in the halls but if they are spotted without them then you have set off the alarm

For the second one, you can leave the people who don't get disguises in the portal chamber because NPCs don't check in there. Also lets you do a fun two-pronged assault when the jig is up and you do have to fight.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

If they aren’t providing bants I’d rather leave em at camp.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
man (ending spoilers) the ending party is really... sloppily put together. lae'zel hosed off while telling me that i was basically lucky she wasnt killing me for dismantling githyanki society, and six months later shes calling me old friend and reminiscing about the time i left her in camp while i did all of her story missions without her

on the plus side when i shot her projection with an arrow it was my friend who was dragged off to the shadow realm by withers. its really funny how they didnt anchor different conversations to specific players in a predictable way

grack posted:

After a couple of Honour Mode playthroughs I can confidently say that the fight I hate the most is Oliver in Act 2. Not difficult, mind you, just really annoying because having good initiative actively hurts you in that fight. Oliver's Legendary action is really annoying as well because he can't be knocked prone.

the first time you see him and play hide and seek is sorta bizarre. i passed it in both runs but like... how are you supposed to interact with that scene? it goes to turn-based and he moves one step and then goes "ahh you found me!"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Verviticus posted:

on the plus side when i shot her projection with an arrow it was my friend who was dragged off to the shadow realm by withers. its really funny how they didnt anchor different conversations to specific players in a predictable way

I think the funniest example of this was when my group did Oskar's quest in act 3. Who was the subject of the painting? the person who activated the combat encounter and spoke with Oskar? the person who solved the puzzle? nay, the person who was least involved with the resolution!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i dont even think i got that resolution. i was so loving pissed off that because i had the volo eye i had to hunt down all the poltergeists that were doing nothing but wasting 20 sconds per turn that i just spammed my way through the convo to get outta there. that quest sucks

also the fireworks factory. if i could give advice to anyone playing through a3 for the first time, it would be "do not do the fireworks factory no matter how cool that sounds on paper and stay the gently caress away from lady jannath"

edit: ive whined a lot about this game in this thread so let me say: i really enjoyed it to the point where after i finished my coop run i started an honor run, a lot of the game is phenomenally well put together, larians post-release support is top tier and even if the game is way too easy, its way too easy in a way that still rewards you for breaking the gently caress out of it. the characters grew on me (except lae'zel and the non-act 1 characters) and i appreciate just how reactive this game is. theres a shocking amount of depth to the variety of decisions you can make, and its a shame that the goblins/absolute in a1 are so comically evil that its a bit of a chore to side with them because an evil playthrough probably could've been fun

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 17, 2024

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
That quest sucks but you can also just give everyone elixirs of see invisibility so it's more like any other combat encounter.

Also the fireworks factory??? Hell now gotta blow that top floor every time, just like the Nakatomi building

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

I do hate that it defaults to ending turn based mode after winning combat and everyone runs to the currently controlled character for this reason

FWIW if you hit G it unlinks your group so they'll stay where they are until you hit G again

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

That quest sucks but you can also just give everyone elixirs of see invisibility so it's more like any other combat encounter.

no the solution is the reverse: take the volo eye person and throw them in the river. if you cant see them you dont get dragged into combat, but if you get in combat then each turn takes literally two minutes to resolve

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jay Rust posted:

FWIW if you hit G it unlinks your group so they'll stay where they are until you hit G again

On console so there's not a quick option that I know of, you just gotta be fast on the draw

It wouldn't be so bad if there was a genuine "pause" button, but none of the menus will freeze anything

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Professor Beetus posted:

Also the fireworks factory??? Hell now gotta blow that top floor every time, just like the Nakatomi building

my favorite way to resolve that is to shoot a single firework from across the street into the top floor and let collateral damage do its thing

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

There are substantially easier ways to do the artists quest besides running in the front door swords out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

For the Fireworks Factory I always have Karlach do a soaring leap into the top floor window and throw a smokepowder barrel into the middle of the room, killing everyone and sometimes herself. It's very thematic.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i just did it by walking up with greater invis, staying on the mid floor landing and lobbing a firebomb towards the balcony seemed to go fine, the tough part is that the steel watch came in immediately and kept yelling at me to get behind the line

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Greater invis read all the notes then just kinda pointed my co-op group at the store.

The Paladin, Durge Sorc, and Necromancer blew up the first floor, the refugees and then fought the cops. Everyone else upstairs was fine.

I just wanted to speak to the thieves guild and get the information without [Oath of Vengeance] activating.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Verviticus posted:

the first time you see him and play hide and seek is sorta bizarre. i passed it in both runs but like... how are you supposed to interact with that scene? it goes to turn-based and he moves one step and then goes "ahh you found me!"

You can skip all that by taking the top option in the initial dialogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

grack posted:

You can skip all that by taking the top option in the initial dialogue

You can also just pickpocket his reward fwiw if you just doing the hide and seek part