Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tom Tucker posted:

I unironically just want a series with She Hulk and Dare Devil exploring the ramifications of super heroes on the global legal institutions through a courtroom comedy. Stuff like Wong trying to sue a dude into not making portals was the best part of the show. Can completely skip the fight scenes and cgi and put the budget into writers.

Have every episode lead up to a fight scene then right as She Hulk is going to transform is hard cuts to them at the bar talking about how epic it was then discussing the latest civil war in the Middle East driven by the massive economic depression in the region that occurred when Stark made infinite clean energy and debating whether Wakanda can even intervene with peacekeeping forces given their UN charter was signed under misleading circumstances.

I realize James Spader has already been used in the cycles of the MCU, but just have a show with Denny Crane, Alan Shore, She-Hulk and the Daredevil dealing with the ridiculous legal things coming out of Asgardians and what have you in the real world. It would be an absolute hoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
She Hulk was great and doesn't need laser battles at all. She can even talk about how "it's not in the budget" and people can act real confused as to why she'd say that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope she's mistaken because a second season of She Hulk was the main thing I was looking forward too after more Ms Marvel.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

That article feels a little weird to me. It's almost like the actress is trying to force Kevin to make a decision.

I really liked she hulk and hope they make more or she gets to show up elsewhere.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

She Hulk seemed super expensive given all the insane amount of CGI. Compared to, say, Echo, where 90% of it is just actors chatting on sets, it must have been crazy pricey.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Just give the people the legal procedural they're clamouring for and you can do the show with maybe 5, 10 CGI shots in the entire season.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Tom Tucker posted:

She Hulk seemed super expensive given all the insane amount of CGI. Compared to, say, Echo, where 90% of it is just actors chatting on sets, it must have been crazy pricey.

Secret Invasion and She-Hulk both cost around a quarter of a billion dollars largely because they effectively remade the show multiple times.

Secret Invasion was essentially three (!!!) $70 million shows made over two years that turned out a final product that was effectively two complete shows that were thrown in the trash and one show that cost $220 million and was made in 4 months.

She-Hulk was basically two $100+ million shows that turned out a final product that was effectively one full show in the trash and another that needed to have all of its CGI re-done that caused it to be a $210 million show.

With She-Hulk and Secret Invasion, Marvel essentially spent half of a billion dollars to get 5 TV series. 3 of them were thrown in the trash and never used, one of them was made in 4 months and tarnished the brand, and one of them required them to double their CGI budget to redo the show.

Edit: None of those shows sold any tickets or made any money directly, so it is not too surprising from an accounting perspective that they would be very gun-shy about doing it all again.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 17, 2024

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Just give me Ms. Marvel season 2 and I will be happy.

Oasx fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 17, 2024

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Low budget She-Hulk could be hilarious. Re-used transformation animation, careful cutaways, and lots of meta commentary.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, I had no idea that they apparently filmed HALF of Daredevil's planned season before junking it and starting over. Which begs the question... how bad were they?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Yeah, I had no idea that they apparently filmed HALF of Daredevil's planned season before junking it and starting over. Which begs the question... how bad were they?

As I recall, the prevailing rumor from leaks was that Murdock didn't even suit up until the fifth or sixth episode.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Gangringo posted:

Low budget She-Hulk could be hilarious. Re-used transformation animation, careful cutaways, and lots of meta commentary.

We're never going to get Frank Oz's Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made, so might as well just make it an MCU project.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Gangringo posted:

While the budget was terribly high, the failure of that show is in the writing.

I wanted a show as smartly written as Ally Mcbeal, what we got instead was people who had heard of Ally Mcbeal but never watched an episode, trying to do a show about a lawyer superhero.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Timby posted:

As I recall, the prevailing rumor from leaks was that Murdock didn't even suit up until the fifth or sixth episode.

That happened in Netflix S1 too, maybe that’s why they’ve rejigged it and declared the Netflix stuff canon again?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Timby posted:

Daredevil was better when he was just in the black outfit instead anyways.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Secret Invasion and She-Hulk both cost around a quarter of a billion dollars largely because they effectively remade the show multiple times.

Secret Invasion was essentially three (!!!) $70 million shows made over two years that turned out a final product that was effectively two complete shows that were thrown in the trash and one show that cost $220 million and was made in 4 months.

She-Hulk was basically two $100+ million shows that turned out a final product that was effectively one full show in the trash and another that needed to have all of its CGI re-done that caused it to be a $210 million show.

With She-Hulk and Secret Invasion, Marvel essentially spent half of a billion dollars to get 5 TV series. 3 of them were thrown in the trash and never used, one of them was made in 4 months and tarnished the brand, and one of them required them to double their CGI budget to redo the show.

Edit: None of those shows sold any tickets or made any money directly, so it is not too surprising from an accounting perspective that they would be very gun-shy about doing it all again.

RELEASE THE SNYDER CUTS

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Timby posted:

https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1446151707029917697

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Timby posted:

That sounds awesome, though? Give me a lawyer show that slowly becomes a superhero show. The lawyer parts of both She-Hulk and Daredevil were absolutely anemic. I can't even call them perfunctory because they'd have to actually fuckin' do the thing to rise to that level.

It's really hard to tell at this point with Marvel if all this scrapping of poo poo is good or bad. Time was, all the reshoots led to a great product and that's probably why they still do it, but there's no loving way the original version of Secret Invasion was as bad as what we got.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
We’ve seen it once already though? The smartest thing the MCU did was jump straight into Peter Parker already having his powers and being pretty much established.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphillwatch uncle ben die

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

counterfeitsaint posted:

Daredevil was better when he was just in the black outfit instead anyways.
In season 1, maybe. When they did it again later it just screamed "we liked the show better back then too and think this window dressing is why the house was so sturdy."

Plus if you didn't love Daredevil doing the walk of shame in his suit, I don't even know why you're here.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
They already did the "This lawyer's actually a hero" reveal in She-Hulk, and No Way Home to a lesser degree, and they've already established that he's an Avengers-level hero so there's no reason to not just hit the ground running.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Timby posted:

How does that even get greenlit in the first place? Feige gets talked about like some kind of producer god but the behind the scenes stuff for the MCU seems like a complete mess.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

nemesis_hub posted:

How does that even get greenlit in the first place? Feige gets talked about like some kind of producer god but the behind the scenes stuff for the MCU seems like a complete mess.
He was before they scraped their one Feige over like fifteen pieces of toast.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Echo ep2

So they decided territory disputes by playing a sports game. I think they just went to war and killed eachother like every other civilization that time period.
They're gonna have to sell me much harder on this ancestral tribe magic. They already used this card on Ms. Marvel on reinventing her powers and having it be linked to a race from another dimension. And they're doing it again here.

James Bond intro is sweet.
Really liking the community in the town, everyone is interesting to me, even if Echo is being a total idiot not caring about anyone and starting a war just because she's full of hate and anger. Didn't you hear anything Hawkeye said?

Surprised everyone here still knows how to use sign language....like that was 20 years ago, and I guess they all learned it for like 2-5 years when Echo was a kid, but she left for 20 years and everyone seems to sign as if they never forgot. I probably would have forgot how to sign if I never used it for 20 years.

The train sequence was decent. The dog does not react to anything lol. Probably because its just surrounded by green screens.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

GateOfD posted:

Echo ep2

So they decided territory disputes by playing a sports game. I think they just went to war and killed eachother like every other civilization that time period.
They're gonna have to sell me much harder on this ancestral tribe magic. They already used this card on Ms. Marvel on reinventing her powers and having it be linked to a race from another dimension. And they're doing it again here.

James Bond intro is sweet.
Really liking the community in the town, everyone is interesting to me, even if Echo is being a total idiot not caring about anyone and starting a war just because she's full of hate and anger. Didn't you hear anything Hawkeye said?

Surprised everyone here still knows how to use sign language....like that was 20 years ago, and I guess they all learned it for like 2-5 years when Echo was a kid, but she left for 20 years and everyone seems to sign as if they never forgot. I probably would have forgot how to sign if I never used it for 20 years.

The train sequence was decent. The dog does not react to anything lol. Probably because its just surrounded by green screens.

The Choctaw and Chickasaw resolving disputes with stickball and the Lighthorsemen were both real things that actually happened.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

nemesis_hub posted:

For Feige specifically it was a couple things. The push for D+ shows in constant rotation and then his promotion taking his already split attention away from directly overseeing the shows. The biggest thing though was Marvel treating tv shows like long movies and doing their "fix it in post" thing.

The MCU book that was released a few months is really good and it's amazing marvel got anything done post endgame, regardless of the quality.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Choctaw and Chickasaw resolving disputes with stickball and the Lighthorsemen were both real things that actually happened.

Edit: i think i got a detail wrong

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Echo was good. I’m surprised they treated it like it was going to fail.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m surprised they treated it like it was going to fail.

It stars a woman.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

GateOfD posted:

Echo ep2

Her mother was also deaf so the family had decades of using sign.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Crazy to think there was a time where you’d play a high stakes game of lacrosse and the LOSER got to leave Alabama

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Soonmot posted:

For Feige specifically it was a couple things. The push for D+ shows in constant rotation and then his promotion taking his already split attention away from directly overseeing the shows. The biggest thing though was Marvel treating tv shows like long movies and doing their "fix it in post" thing.

The MCU book that was released a few months is really good and it's amazing marvel got anything done post endgame, regardless of the quality.

Under the first Iger regime, Feige had final say in Marvel Studios decision making

When Chapek took over, he installed one of his MBA buddies, Kareem Daniel who was then placed above Feige (and Kennedy, and whoever runs Pixar) and it was Daniel who ended up giving green lights to lots of things.

A lot of this can be blamed by Chapek’s stripping the studio heads of their power in favor of people loyal to him, but not all of it. Marvel still could’ve set up their shows like actual TV shows with a showrunner instead of treating them all like 6 part films, but I honestly think that Feige and company had a lot of hubris and were trying to distance themselves from the successes that Netflix had with their IP and thinking that they had some superior way of producing TV.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

1st AD posted:

Marvel still could’ve set up their shows like actual TV shows with a showrunner instead of treating them all like 6 part films, but I honestly think that Feige and company had a lot of hubris and were trying to distance themselves from the successes that Netflix had with their IP and thinking that they had some superior way of producing TV.

yeah, they were def getting high on their own farts with their streaming plan and I think you have a great point about them wanting to not copy the netflix formula

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

You can't just build a monster truck with pieces from a junkyard! totally broke immersion for me :colbert:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Zefiel posted:

You can't just build a monster truck with pieces from a junkyard! totally broke immersion for me :colbert:

It was not my impression that he did, but that the truck was already there, but maybe just needed a quick fix

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Tom Tucker posted:

Crazy to think there was a time where you’d play a high stakes game of lacrosse and the LOSER got to leave Alabama

I wish this were a thing I could do right now irl.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zefiel posted:

Mystery Men would like a word

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

Azhais posted:

Mystery Men would like a word

In fairness to the Herkimer Battle Jitney, it too was mostly intact in the junkyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Plotac 75 posted:

In fairness to the Herkimer Battle Jitney, it too was mostly intact in the junkyard.

Junk it!!!