Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
They're usually really good about timely shipping, and the times they aren't, I eventually call them up (real mad) and they had some sort of hold on the account and just don't bother telling you. It's super stupid and could easily have blown some of my timelines out of the water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's why I order from Mouser. If I get my order in before 5PM, it shows up the next day. I'm in Texas tho, so ymmv.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Cojawfee posted:

That's why I order from Mouser. If I get my order in before 5PM, it shows up the next day. I'm in Texas tho, so ymmv.

North Florida here, I get Mouser orders in about 2 business days while DigiKey is usually closer to a week. I still order a lot from DigiKey since they have a better search engine and usually a somewhat wider selection of in-stock parts. If I need something fast I look it up on DigiKey and then order it from Mouser.

Speaking of DigiKey - has anyone else been getting pop-ups on their website demanding that you prove you're not a bot? Granted, I've been designing a medium complex board and have been clicking on their website quite a lot over the last two or so weeks, but I've done that before with other designs and not gotten the warning. I kind of wonder if their system noticed that my IP range, containing me and two other EEs, clicks on their website a ton but never buys anything because actual orders are placed by a purchasing group in another building.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
I'm pretty sure I occasionally get the "are you a bot" thing, though not recently (but I haven't been doing anything too intense recently).

The weirdest experience I had with Digikey didn't have them just hold the order for secret reasons until I asked them, but I couldn't even add the item to my basket if i was logged in (and I could if I wasn't logged in, but it'd disappear when I logged in if I added it first). It was a FLIR Lepton sensor + USB carrier board for it, just to play with, and it turns out they don't sell those to just anybody...but I just used the live chat, and apparently Digikey accounts have secret levels and they upgraded me from level 1 to level 2 right there on chat, and then I was able to keep the item in my basket when I logged in and place the order.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

There are several levels of export restrictions on IR imaging, in part based on frame rate. They don't want you making a missile seeker with it.

e: one time Mouser made me fill out an end user certification for a PIR motion detector sensor, like the kind used to control a driveway floodlight.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 15, 2024

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
Oh yeah, I’ve had to fill in export certification for random parts many times. Just that lepton sensor required the secret account upgrade. What’s funnier is you can get the same sensor without certification from some consumer products and they’re socketed, so you could just get them that way, certification-free.

Of course I do also know it’s all arbitrary. I once had to fill in an export certificate for a low end GPS module. Clearly it’s just err on the side of caution with things that might be used in something weapon-esque.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

PDP-1 posted:

Speaking of DigiKey - has anyone else been getting pop-ups on their website demanding that you prove you're not a bot? Granted, I've been designing a medium complex board and have been clicking on their website quite a lot over the last two or so weeks, but I've done that before with other designs and not gotten the warning. I kind of wonder if their system noticed that my IP range, containing me and two other EEs, clicks on their website a ton but never buys anything because actual orders are placed by a purchasing group in another building.

It also happens to me, but only when I am knee-deep in verifying my BOM and don't feel like filing a bug report.

This is while logged in to my account that has bought >$1,000/yr for 10+ years.

This is some dumb rate-limiting thing they've added.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

ryanrs posted:

Yeah, pre-terminated headphone cables are available down to something like 6mm dia, but most have 28 awg wires.

Maybe you could install a 1/4" headphone connector IN the 8mm panel hole?

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I am a rank newb, and I need some sort of clips for prototyping. For temporarily connecting a single standard female 2.54mm dupont jumper to a board with no header pins soldered in, like in the picture, any opinons on which is the correct/best mini grabber? Diligent, Pomona, anything better or cheaper, or is there some other way?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Realistically, the correct way is to solder headers on, and then use JST / Dupont jumpers to connect up your stuff

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PDP-1 posted:

North Florida here, I get Mouser orders in about 2 business days while DigiKey is usually closer to a week. I still order a lot from DigiKey since they have a better search engine and usually a somewhat wider selection of in-stock parts. If I need something fast I look it up on DigiKey and then order it from Mouser.

I live in Canada (Toronto, Ontario) and if I order early enough I get my Digikey stuff delivered the next day unless the FedEx driver feels like declaring that I am not home when I was.

ante posted:

Realistically, the correct way is to solder headers on, and then use JST / Dupont jumpers to connect up your stuff

Yeah having a dozen grabbers coming off of that seems awful. IMO just solder pins on and use it with a breadboard or PCB.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Unless you're a soldering savant, I think buying a new board for $20 with headers will save you more than $20 of frustration in wondering whether or not you've bridged your pads every time you need to debug.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

theflyingexecutive posted:

Unless you're a soldering savant, I think buying a new board for $20 with headers will save you more than $20 of frustration in wondering whether or not you've bridged your pads every time you need to debug.

Strong disagree

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

100 mil spacing with nice plated holes and a solder mask on everything else presents the most favorable conditions for soldering. If anything it's an ideal situation for a newbie to practice soldering. It's not like we're recommending that they solder surface mount components. Just look at how dang much solder mask is between those holes - any bridge will be obvious.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I was really hoping to hook up the 4 pins to test an I2C component and confirm the poo poo works before I decide whether to cover my house in esp32/up my solder game

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

Soldering is not that hard, especially through hole stuff. You really have to mess things up bad to bridge pins like that. And bridging is easily checked by using a multimeter with a continuity mode to check adjacent pins to make sure they aren't shorted together.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
I use mini hooks for everything these days:

They'll hook right into those plated through-holes on your board and if you decide to solder header pins on the board later, they'll also hook just fine to the header pins. They do a pretty good job of packing themselves into a staggered configuration if you have a bunch beside each other so unless you plan to have more than ~10 of them connected to a given board there really isn't much need to go with something denser. I use them a lot when I'm throwing together random crap for making quick measurements and powering demo boards and the like. It helps that they also come in banana plug-to-mini-hook versions for connecting to test equipment (a reminder: the de-facto standard handheld multimeter probe connector is banana plug compatible).

If your plan is to connect something to every single one of those pins, though, clip leads wouldn't be my first choice. I'd probably just solder hook-up wire straight into them. It's only slightly less convenient than using a connector/clip.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
^^^^There is no such thing as too many jumpers.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

Stack Machine posted:

I use mini hooks for everything these days:

They'll hook right into those plated through-holes on your board and if you decide to solder header pins on the board later, they'll also hook just fine to the header pins. They do a pretty good job of packing themselves into a staggered configuration if you have a bunch beside each other so unless you plan to have more than ~10 of them connected to a given board there really isn't much need to go with something denser. I use them a lot when I'm throwing together random crap for making quick measurements and powering demo boards and the like. It helps that they also come in banana plug-to-mini-hook versions for connecting to test equipment (a reminder: the de-facto standard handheld multimeter probe connector is banana plug compatible).

If your plan is to connect something to every single one of those pins, though, clip leads wouldn't be my first choice. I'd probably just solder hook-up wire straight into them. It's only slightly less convenient than using a connector/clip.

These are great and my go to as well. There are smaller ones that are more fragile, but allow for grabbing onto smaller things, e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Goupchn-Grabber-Analyzer-Electronic-Testing/dp/B09TPBS7YF

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Speaking of jumpers, who makes good multimeter probes and clips? Should I fork out the dough for a Fluke probe set for my Fluke multimeter?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 18, 2024

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

kid sinister posted:

Speaking of jumpers, who makes good multimeter probes and clips? Should I fork out the dough for a Fluke probe set for my Fluke multimeter?

My good probes (spring loaded, crown tip, overkill if you aren't probing small things) are from https://probemaster.com

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Foxfire_ posted:

My good probes (spring loaded, crown tip, overkill if you aren't probing small things) are from https://probemaster.com

Oh geez, they even make probes especially for back probing.

Pro Tip: keep a package of sewing needles in your tool bag for back probing. They're as cheap as can be and in a pinch are sold in most stores. T pins are an alternative that are easier on your fingers, but you have to be more careful with the pins touching. It works great on weatherproof connectors, like in cars.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Man, why are those pomona IC test clips so expensive? I'm reading about how they can wear down over time too.

I'm trying to program a lower end attiny (SOIC 8 package size) and the clips are all :20bux: at least. Am I missing some other simpler solution?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Run lines out to a maybe 5 cent pin header on the board and program it that way like a normal person

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Aight cool

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean they make these weird clamps specifically for clamping on to loose SOIC-8 chips if you really want to:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13153

But like, I've never not just run lines out to a programming port because it's so much easier.

e: Wait no that's just the one you literally just posted I'm an idiot, I swear there was a different one you could like, snap the chip in? But it's probably still gonna be twenty bucks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's more expensive that the one the person already linked to.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Yeah makes sense. I can run out some pin header, good thing I asked, haha. Not sure if I can do that in the final design (trying to keep it very thin), but maybe I can do something cute with test pads and pogo pins. Or just buy a clip at that point. That will be a problem for later me.

e. No worries!

Shame Boy posted:

I swear there was a different one you could like, snap the chip in? But it's probably still gonna be twenty bucks.

Maybe you're thinking of something like this?

I've seen them called "zif socket" or "test socket" or something and yes, mysteriously enough they are around :20bux: as well (adafruit). I think the test clip is slightly more versatile, but also I can still just do the pin header thing. They are really cool looking though :thunk:

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 18, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can get a 4 pin pogo header that you stick to some pads on the final board to program it. Just build up a cable for that thing, mark the orientation (or get one that's 4 in a line) and just jam that onto your board to program it after soldering on the chips.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

You can get a 4 pin pogo header that you stick to some pads on the final board to program it. Just build up a cable for that thing, mark the orientation (or get one that's 4 in a line) and just jam that onto your board to program it after soldering on the chips.

Wow that's cool. Yeah definitely gonna gently caress around with something like that later. I want to print a charging cradle for my 3DS at some point and the thingiverse design I'm looking at uses pogo pins, so I can probably buy a pack of em and be all set.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Yeah makes sense. I can run out some pin header, good thing I asked, haha. Not sure if I can do that in the final design (trying to keep it very thin), but maybe I can do something cute with test pads and pogo pins. Or just buy a clip at that point. That will be a problem for later me.

e. No worries!

Maybe you're thinking of something like this?

I've seen them called "zif socket" or "test socket" or something and yes, mysteriously enough they are around :20bux: as well (adafruit). I think the test clip is slightly more versatile, but also I can still just do the pin header thing. They are really cool looking though :thunk:

Yeah that's the one

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm throwing around ideas for building a force-feedback thing with a friend and now I'm wondering, is there some terms I can throw into google to find like, absolute-positioning motors/actuators that are fine with being pushed against constantly? I guess servos operate like that but I was hoping it'd also have a readout of the current position if possible so I don't have to have a separate thing that measures that...

e: I guess it would also need to adjust how much it's pushing against you, not just like a servo where it's trying to hold a set point with all its force all the time...

e2: Googling "servo with position feedback" got me servos with position feedback, so that addresses that question, but you can't really adjust the force a servo pushes with can you?

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 18, 2024

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Is this finally an excuse to use synchros, please tell me this is finally an excuse to use synchros

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://hackaday.com/2015/12/15/feeling-force-through-a-servo/ This guy's doing it with servos and some clever sensing and feedback so I guess this is prolly the most practical answer...

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it, but I saw someone design a board to mount on the outboard end of a NEMA 17 stepper to make it act like a servo. Electronoob maybe? I'll try to remember to find a link tonight. If I remember the details well enough, it seems like that would be potentially useful for your project.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah, I don't know if the Mechaduino is still going, but it would kinda fit the bill. The motor steps are very feelable though, I don't know if that matters

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Maybe check out ODrive? I haven't looked lately, but it seems to be a neat, open servo platform.

Teknic makes affordable, integrated servos for commercial/industrial use. Probably the most hobby-friendly industrial servo.

I think most 'real' servos, i.e. not r/c servos, can do constant torque. With something like the ODrive, you should be able to do neat things like simulate the inertia of a heavy flywheel. I.e. mount a little handle to the servo shaft, and make it feel like you're turning a 50 lb disc.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I have an Odrive running my living room lathe, and I'm a little sour on them tbh

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

What problems have you run into?

I haven't looked into them in detail since early in the project. The board at least seems to have been redesigned since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions ryanrs, I'll give em' a look.

In case anyone's interested, the idea (if I understand it right, anyway, Expo70 came up with it) is to have a control stick throttle thing that, based on conditions in a sim and the mode you're in etc, "wants" to be in a certain position, like it's trimmed to be there, but you can relatively easily push it out of there. Basically having the force feedback be a suggestion as to where a computer thinks you "should" be putting the input rather than just a pure reaction to aerodynamics acting on the craft or whatever. I'll bug her to explain it cuz I'm probably getting it wrong.