Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
When my university roomate got a first 360 I think he was super excited to show off Gears of War as this first new generations game

still vividly remember that feeling of "lol, is this it? no wonder i got a pc instead"

not to get too elitist, I actually think they are decent games and have played through all the campaigns at least once and a boat load of the mutiplayer horde mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

JollyBoyJohn posted:

When my university roomate got a first 360 I think he was super excited to show off Gears of War as this first new generations game

still vividly remember that feeling of "lol, is this it? no wonder i got a pc instead"

not to get too elitist, I actually think they are decent games and have played through all the campaigns at least once and a boat load of the mutiplayer horde mode

I got Gears of War and Dead rising as my first 360 games but I had a SD TV at the time and couldn't read the text in dead rising at all, so I spent all my time in Gears of War online and have very fond memories of roadie running around at the speed of sound with a shotgun.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Doom 64 sprites all look like poo poo putty so unfortunately none of it's qualities matter if you don't wanna look at that.

All games made with those silicon graphics prerendered 2d sprites look like crap and also did back in the day. Their whole point was to trick people into thinking the game's 3d off tiny screenshots and to save on 2d artist budget.

Completely disgusting.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Vic posted:

Doom 64 sprites all look like poo poo putty so unfortunately none of it's qualities matter if you don't wanna look at that.

All games made with those silicon graphics prerendered 2d sprites look like crap and also did back in the day. Their whole point was to trick people into thinking the game's 3d off tiny screenshots and to save on 2d artist budget.

Completely disgusting.

I don't disagree but I prefer it to the original doom enemy sprites were somewhere pretty decent stop motion puppets and then others were just MS Paint and the two styles clashed hard against each other (like the Cyberdemon vs the Imp) I'd love an "HD remaster" of Doom using like proper puppets in high resolution.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
More games should just go with proper claymation. It looks amazing!

Although apparently the main guy behind it is a major douchebag, The Neverhood is still one of the best looking games.

These been a few since then but their should be more. Also Jason and the Argonauts, Ray Harryhausen stopmotion animation games... I'm sure that could work somehow?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Phil Tippett + Skinner on a horror stop motion game would be sweet but we just gotta settle for Mad God and Shrine of Abominations

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
I tried to learn how to make stop motion dinosaur puppets because I wanted to make my own dinosaur themed doom mod, turns out that’s extremely difficult tho, especially when you have cats that want to knock poo poo over all the time

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I tried to learn how to make stop motion dinosaur puppets because I wanted to make my own dinosaur themed doom mod, turns out that’s extremely difficult tho, especially when you have cats that want to knock poo poo over all the time

ahh that sounded like it would of been amazing! But yeah can attest cat's are the enemy of stopmotion, and any animation is just incredibly time consuming.

Although me and my mates did manage to do a stopmotion short film thing for a 48hr short film competition once. That was fun as hell but I would not recommend. ...actually yeah I would it was fun as hell, just don't expect sleep.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mordor She Wrote posted:

stop-motion is one of the most tedious and delicate things you can do and if you gently caress minor poo poo up you ruined hours of work

I learned how to animate stop motion on a 8mm video camera that had to record a couple frames before it stopped, the few years before digital photography; the only thing that saved my sanity was that my parents did have a tripod for that video camera.
The number of times I rewinded the video, looked at a take, realized I hosed up the take and the timing on the videotape and i had to start back over and everything had to be perfect, before it really set in that everything has to be perfect in every shot and it's an art.
Hundreds.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The key is to just fart out whatever, chump

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

we're due for a revival of stop-motion now that 3D tools can replicate the look perfectly but with significantly less fiddling

see: worthikids

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

repiv posted:

we're due for a revival of stop-motion now that 3D tools can replicate the look perfectly but with significantly less fiddling

see: worthikids

3D tools can not replicate the look of stop motion animation perfectly lol

that looks fine but, like, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_M0I7aq2M4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLuW6LTOwIQ

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 17, 2024

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Anyone that has a VR device should try the VR mod for Doom 3. All the weaknesses of the original release actually work in VR's favor.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oh man, I dunno about skyrim without Colleen Delaney

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Vakal posted:

Anyone that has a VR device should try the VR mod for Doom 3. All the weaknesses of the original release actually work in VR's favor.

And Doom 1 and Doom 2 in VR with voxel weapons, items and enemies is an amazing experience.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i did not like doom eternal as much as 2016 but my pc's processor was dying and i'd get blue screens every 30 to 90m when i was playing it so i don't know how much that colored my opinion of it

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I played Doom Eternal on a PS4 and it was just absolute dogshit to play on a gamepad

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Doom 2016 is better I'm not trying to play a rhythm game im trying to murder demons

also the monsters looked better

honestly the entire render looked better in 2016

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

pretty impressed with id updating all their old games to run at modern resolutions and whatnot

my little nephews love getting relentlessly owned in quake 2 split screen

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

hawowanlawow posted:

pretty impressed with id updating all their old games to run at modern resolutions and whatnot

the updated versions of Quake and Quake II were done by Nightdive and Machine Games

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

MrQwerty posted:

the updated versions of Quake and Quake II were done by Nightdive and Machine Games

Also the Quake 1 version has some Bethesda poo poo that's annoying as hell, so I found better to just get a source port.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

a couple of the devs who worked on those ports are goons :monocle:

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

repiv posted:

a couple of the devs who worked on those ports are goons :monocle:

A couple of devs who worked on insert_pretty_much_any_western_game_of_the_last_20_years are goons, I assure you.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

deep dish peat moss posted:

I played Doom Eternal on a PS4 and it was just absolute dogshit to play on a gamepad

I agree it sucks to play on a controller, but I've also beaten it on nightmare on the switch joycons

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Mordor She Wrote posted:

as long we we're on the topic of Doom tho, Doom Eternal is the best FPS ever made, yeah the story is cringe but the actual shooting/gameplay is the peak of FPS games.

This is the first opinion in this thread that has made me feel an actual visceral reaction of revulsion.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Waltzing Along posted:

The biggest problem with Hades is the family reunion is just a text card. They should have had a ME Citadel style party where all the gods are hanging around and you can wander around chatting to them in groups and progress it a few times to move them around.

This is my big complaint about Lords of the Fallen.

All the endings are white text on black screen. Wow what a treat for suffering through torture.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hawowanlawow posted:

Yeah my 15yo daughter stumbled on original doom and loved it, 'it's so fast!'. Kids are alright imo

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Yeah my 15yo daughter stumbled on original doom and loved it, 'it's so fast!'. Kids are alright imo

So fast? OH NO SHE'LL CATCH THE SONIC! Once you have that you can't live as a normal human anymore.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Mordor She Wrote posted:

That being said, doom should be at least horror themed, I want the vibe of Doom 3 with the gameplay of Eternal. Also Doom is better when its literal Christian hell rather than some metal album inoffensive Hell.

Depends on what you mean by horror “themed” imo. Doom is fundamentally incompatible with “Eeeep!!! I’m so scared!” vibes of actual horror because it’s gameplay is ultimately based around being Sonic the Hedgehog with a bunch of powerful guns that give your enemies humiliating deaths. The gameplay just gives the player too much of a feeling of power and control to be truly scary.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

But when I played original Doom I both sucked and had terrible control options so it played more like Resident Evil than a fast pace FPS.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

sebmojo posted:

I played so much Quake Remaster when I found out I got it for free.

The speed of oldschool shooters is very refreshing and it was very fun to rocket jump all over the place again.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I never played Quake (at least not enough to really remember doing so) but one thing I know is it couldn't possible beat the Unreal Tournament translocator. Fast teleports that if you landed on somebody killed them.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

translocator kills were excellent, Quake was fast pure DM but UT99 really upped the bar and I really liked UT99 more than Q3

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I think one of the mistakes UT99 made was having a single player campaign at all. At the end of the day, all it did was provide something for players to potentially bounce against before experiencing the outstanding multiplayer.

Quake 3, by comparison, forced you to jump right into the best part of it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Aramis posted:

I think one of the mistakes UT99 made was having a single player campaign at all. At the end of the day, all it did was provide something for players to potentially bounce against before experiencing the outstanding multiplayer.

You mean the very feature that made Unreal Tournament more popular over Quake in the year 1999 when people used 56k modems to connect to the internet from their workplace?

Wild!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Here's a movie theater payphone commercial from 1999

Vic fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 17, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Panzeh posted:

I think Eternal's combat design is incredibly pushy in really, really wanting you to flip weapons every second and manage three cooldowns, etc. You can play it in a more conventional way but it really pushes back against you. The original dooms didn't need this- the weapons were just different and ammo was handed out in a way that prevented the use of the same weapon all the time (sometimes).

Nice Van My Man posted:

But when I played original Doom I both sucked and had terrible control options so it played more like Resident Evil than a fast pace FPS.

:haibrow:

Doom 2016 on the highest difficulty section required/encouraged playing it more like a 3rd person action game - movement, positioning, and cooldown management are more important than twitch reflexes or shooting accuracy. You could still play it like a Resident Evil game for maybe 90% of the encounters

Doom Eternal decided to make that the core mechanic of the game, which sucked :shrug:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah I bounced off Eternal because it was very twitchy, almost Quake like in that it expected you to be constantly jumping around, and it was kind of stingy with ammo. Excuse me I'm trying to have a power fantasy over here

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I wish there were a mod for doom eternal that made it play like doom

get on it bethesda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

all of my DOOM playing as a kid was on a joystick, so no strafing

it was ok to play but watching could make you pretty queasy

I could probably still boot it up from DOS and calibrate the joystick in the corners from muscle memory