Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I did have a few critiques about the final episode:

* Lorraine is let off the hook way too easily. It feels like the show goes from critiquing her "girlboss" image to unironically endorsing it.

* Indira barely shows up in the final episode, and it feels like her character arc kind of fizzles out after she quits being a cop to work for Lorraine.

* Officer Farr dies in a way that just feels pointless.

And a minor personal quibble - "a year later" would have been 2020, and I'm surprised nobody so much as mentioned COVID.

Overall, I still liked the season as a whole, and I'd probably rank it close behind Seasons 1 & 2, but I'm not sure it completely stuck the landing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

eighty-four merc posted:

I thought Dot told Gator he wasn’t named Roy because he was born looking like a “scrawny reptile” (maybe he said lizard?)

oh ya, you're right, thanks!

They could have called him Sal for Salamander :)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Dot telling Munch he has a choice and Munch accepting that contrasts nicely with Carla Jean Moss telling Anton Chigurh the same thing and Chigurh dismissing it

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Weird hair man good, more or less. Unlike the other weird hair men. They were bad

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Trying posted:

Weird hair man good, more or less. Unlike the other weird hair men. They were bad

*shows up at noah hawley's studio*
I solved your riddle!!!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

Dot telling Munch he has a choice and Munch accepting that contrasts nicely with Carla Jean Moss telling Anton Chigurh the same thing and Chigurh dismissing it

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/fargo-season-5-finale-explained-noah-hawley-1235789647/amp/

There is a good interview with Noah Hawley here, which confirms that this was very much intentional.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

SimonChris posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/fargo-season-5-finale-explained-noah-hawley-1235789647/amp/

There is a good interview with Noah Hawley here, which confirms that this was very much intentional.

He's doing an Alien prequel series?!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i haven't had bisquick drop biscuits in a long time. might have to whip a batch. i like the texture, like a little rocky crag made of bread.

good season. "aces!"-Lorne Malvo

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

tetrapyloctomy posted:

He's doing an Alien prequel series?!

yup. set on Earth.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Anyone read Hawley’s novels? Thinking about checking em out

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

yup. set on Earth.

yuck

Caprica all over again

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Same with the lawyer, that actor is hilarious,

Dave Foley has become a forgotten actor / face :(

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So much to get off my mind with this one...

https://i.imgur.com/d67u1U4.gifv

I'll start with just mentioning that I didn't expect any of what I got in this final episode but I certainly enjoyed it, felt like it perfectly capped the season, and even the final scene was a high point; an accomplishment few series can hold. Like most folks say, it's somewhere in the 1st season range, being either 2nd or 3rd best of the 5 (2nd season still being the best, of course.)

Maybe I'm crazy but I could have sworn that Hawley has previously stated he was done with Fargo "but would make more if he got a good idea." This cannot be the first time he's said it.

I'm a little sad we didn't get any crossover characters but this season has been enough of a departure from the norm that I get it.

Going back to what I've said before, Wit Farr definitely felt like he was just there to display what a "good cop" is; in search of justice in spite of those around him. AKA: Dead. I get the strong sense that he and Indira were once the same character but they were split up into two in rewrites for cleanliness reasons. Indira's plotline was also mostly pointless outside of simply giving us a shade of the stronger debt/control plotline. The show had us feeling empathy for her impotence as a police officer, a partner, and a debtor so that when she's offered a golden ticket, we feel some kind of a "win" for the downtrodden but ... it leads nowhere, offers nothing else, and ends up being a rather paper-thin victory. It is merely a cheaper version of the moral Dot offers us with Munch in the final scene: A plea for forgiveness and charity.

I truly love that Scotty, at no point, shows fear or sadness in the entire show. Too often children are used as a cheap heartstring-pulling trick by showrunners. Instead, we just get Dot's cute daughter being strong willed and talented despite being a little spoiled by her loving parents, showing that Dot is a perfectly fine mother who never allowed her past to ruin her life. Meanwhile, Wayne is relegated to the position of what certain people watching Breaking Bad wanted Skylar to be: the compliant spouse who gets no character growth. That's fine, there wasn't time for it anyway.

Lorraine's interesting to me in that I feel like there could be a completely separate show made about her. The post earlier in the thread about how she's simply keeping up appearances so she can stay dominant have me thinking that seasons of show could be made fleshing her out and picking her apart to receive a true redemption. As is, we get her as the distrustful mother in law, the old-school financial conservative, and the crux of the "debt = control" theme. It's a heavy duty position that leaves us with the sense there is a lot more we could be getting from her. I feel like here I can point out a moment earlier in the season where she's eating some ziti out of a leftovers food container. This rich woman who can do anything she wants is eating a leftover pasta dish out of a Tupperware as her lunch. There's a story there. Maybe that's just me making too much out of a plastic bag floating in the wind but I think it's hints like these that are trying to let us know there's a down to Earth woman in there who might be able to take Dot's lessons in forgiveness.

Munch getting interrupted as he's monologuing about "a man" had me giggling like an idiot at the end there. Building up this boogeyman for the entire season only to have the Minnesota nice trample over it was such a phenomenal payoff. Dot looking him directly in the eyes and saying "Well, I don't know what means" was like a weight being lifted off my shoulders because that's exactly what everyone else talking to this guy should have said but didn't.

Okay, I need to wrap this up. The season felt simpler than the others but had thicker themes to cut into: control, how people get it, and how they use it. Conservativism, what it used to be, what it's changing into, and how the rest of us deal with it. To a lesser degree, parenting, trauma, trust, and the strength of familial bonds are touched on as well. As is the Fargo way, there were a few threads that could have been pulled further but weren't. I still think Hawley has a couple issues with weekly television he needs to deal with but this was, definitely, the first time since Season 2 of Fargo where I felt like he knew what he was doing and created a satisfying season of weekly television. I'm excited to see his Alien show!

(Additional notes regarding the weekly television problem)
- Munch killing the kid with the airhorn early in the season was done to force the viewer into understanding this character is without empathy or remorse and deserves no cheering or redemption. This invalidates what we should be doing in the final two episodes, cheering the man on and being glad he is possibly free of his sin eating.
- A freak truck accident is supposed to be the cause of Dot finally getting caught by Roy. I waited a week to see what that was about... only to receive nothing about it. As cool of a scene it was to watch, it felt like the writers couldn't think of a better way to get Dot caught. All this allegory and metaphor to tigers and the thing that gets her is a completely random event? C'mon.
- Wit Farr and Indira both seem very important in the first half of the season... only to be very unimportant in the second half of the season. Seems like a lot of this was done to give certain impressions during certain episodes but in the end didn't do a lot for the overall story arc.
- Maybe I'm crazy but I wanted to see the standoff shootout, not just hear it in the background. Waiting what felt like 2 weeks to see it and getting nothing really sucked some air out of the tension for me. I put this show up there with Barry, they are both dark comedies after all, but in Barry we get to see a cool oner of a standoff occur while in Fargo it's just off-screen. On a binge this would be more forgivable.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 18, 2024

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
was talking to my parents about the finale, my mom didn't like it because there "wasn't enough killing"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i saw a reddit post with a guy saying he played an FBI guy and there were scenes shot of guys getting blasted. guess they decided to go another way.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

uber_stoat posted:

i saw a reddit post with a guy saying he played an FBI guy and there were scenes shot of guys getting blasted. guess they decided to go another way.
If the editing required too many CGI squibs and blood, I'll take what we got instead.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Do you think there are viewers out there who still believe that this entire franchise is based on actual events like the opening text claims?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I love how well Munch contrasts with Varga. I don't think this season has any direct links to the previous ones, but the entire character of Munch is clearly related to Varga in some cosmic way. The two feel like apocalyptic horsemen and each operates in service of debt, albeit in different ways. Malvo too, although I don't know if he belongs beside the other two.

When you consider the relationship that both Munch and Varga have with food, the relationship can't be denied. Really neat, especially in the context of this season's ending.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 18, 2024

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

RhymesWithTendon posted:

Do you think there are viewers out there who still believe that this entire franchise is based on actual events like the opening text claims?

My wife, who doesn’t really follow the show but watched a couple episodes, asked me if it was really based on a true story.

I said yes, of course it is.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

RhymesWithTendon posted:

Lmao yes

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Also I dont get why season 3 isn't loved more. I think it's my favorite alongside this one.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

There's an interview with Hawley from a prior season where he goes over his philosophy on violence, and it's great. Can't find it, cause Google sucks rear end. I'm probably going to get some of this wrong, but the gist is: violence in this world hurts. It's not glorified, and isn't aspirational, and when it happens it leaves big craters in the people experiencing it and the world they were in. Spontaneous, awful, and generally leads to either more violence or severe consequences.

And I think it does really set Fargo apart from other shows like, to make a completely unfair comparison, The Walking Dead where the violence is the point.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

a new study bible! posted:

Also I dont get why season 3 isn't loved more. I think it's my favorite alongside this one.
I honestly forgot... I'm going to search the archives for my posts to see why. Otherwise, I'm amenable to the idea of rewatching it. I can only recall being deeply unsatisfied by the plot but, of course, it being the season after Season 2 did it zero favors.
Edit: I found the thread. You and I actually discussed our like/dislike for the season with each other. I'm laughing so hard at how cyclical these forums can be.
Edit 2: Yep, my gripes are mostly about how it didn't live up to the expectations of the series set by Seasons 1 and 2. The thread seemed to think characters were too one-dimensional, the plot was too thin, and the show dragged on. Here's something I mentioned:

quote:

Maybe, in the end, the season was soured to me because the core plot, the thing Noah Hawley came up with that convinced him to do this third season, was actually a plot of an episode of American Dad, which means it was probably the plot of something even further back in time. The old "inherited seemingly more valuable item instead of inherited actually vastly more valuable item" thing. I'm sure there's a trope name for it.
I can't even remember what the plot was about outside of "a twin brother tries to get a valuable coin" so I'm unsure which American Dad episode I'm thinking of. Note that I mention Season 3 was "convinced" upon Hawley, which means he definitely said something after Season 2 about not making a Season 3 unless he got a good idea. This is just how the rest of the series will continue to go; if he has an idea, he'll make it. Lucky us that FX will let him!

Here's the Season 3 thread if you're curious:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816401&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=fargo&pagenumber=1

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 18, 2024

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

DaveKap posted:

Dot is a perfectly fine mother

i'm not sure i'd consider rigging your house with death traps to be good parenting tbh

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

DaveKap posted:

I honestly forgot... I'm going to search the archives for my posts to see why. Otherwise, I'm amenable to the idea of rewatching it. I can only recall being deeply unsatisfied by the plot but, of course, it being the season after Season 2 did it zero favors.
Edit: I found the thread. You and I actually discussed our like/dislike for the season with each other. I'm laughing so hard at how cyclical these forums can be.
Edit 2: Yep, my gripes are mostly about how it didn't live up to the expectations of the series set by Seasons 1 and 2. The thread seemed to think characters were too one-dimensional, the plot was too thin, and the show dragged on. Here's something I mentioned:

I can't even remember what the plot was about outside of "a twin brother tries to get a valuable coin" so I'm unsure which American Dad episode I'm thinking of. Note that I mention Season 3 was "convinced" upon Hawley, which means he definitely said something after Season 2 about not making a Season 3 unless he got a good idea. This is just how the rest of the series will continue to go; if he has an idea, he'll make it. Lucky us that FX will let him!

Here's the Season 3 thread if you're curious:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816401&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=fargo&pagenumber=1

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

i'm not sure i'd consider rigging your house with death traps to be good parenting tbh
Pobody's Nerfect.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I would like to watch every movie featuring Sam Spruell now

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

limp dick calvin posted:

I would like to watch every movie featuring Sam Spruell now

him and Juno. i haven't seen anything with her in it before i do not believe.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Wayne being such a goober with a menacing force of righteous violence was some of the best television I've watched in quite some time.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
You want a pop? You know what, I want a pop.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

a new study bible! posted:

I love how well Munch contrasts with Varga.

"I really want biscuits now," versus, "I never want to eat rocky road ever again."

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
If you'd asked me how the season would end last week, never in a million years would I have guessed this. And yet it was perfect. God bless, Fargo Nation, god bless us every one!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

Watch Ted Lasso if you want some possible retroactive "Wait Keeley is in a Fargo season?!"

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

this is the first Fargo season without a character connected to another season, yeah? Not that it suffers for it but that's interesting

I was dumbfounded by that, and I thought it suffered. Or at least I was really let down. I'm not counting Jason Schwartzman doing narration since that's not being in it, though it's a nice touch since having a character from a past season do narration is common here. I learned on Wikipedia about the picture of the woman from the movie being in the dream sequence, but I don't think that counts either. I was expecting--and since no one had shown up yet even in the last few minutes, I was really hoping--that at the very end...

Wafflecopper posted:

After talking about how eating sin cursed him with eternal life, I was half expecting Munch to shrivel up like that nazi at the end of Indiana Jones when he ate the biscuit

after the biscuit the angel of death from Season 3 would show up at the door for Munch, with him being happy about it of course.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

uber_stoat posted:

She's in Killer Joe which is a hell of a movie.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The first half of the episode was the saddest Fargo has ever made me.

The second half of the episode made me laugh more than Fargo ever has.

"A man--"

"BISCUITS"

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/2ZtRSkl.mp4

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

That tap at the end is art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah that ending is an all timer not just for Fargo but for most shows I've seen in the past couple of years.